Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Philadelphia Eagles Discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921)

Scott Wright 11-09-2006 08:32 AM

Philadelphia Eagles Discussion
 
Discuss the Eagles here.

I'll start!

How about that T.O., he's a heck of a good player and just a good guy isn't he? :D

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 09:20 AM

Well, looks like the Eagles thread gets a fresh start, just like the Eagles after the bye week. Things I want to see in the second half:

* A 60/40 pass/run balance. I'm not even talking short passes and screens. I want the Eagles to run the ball 40% of the time. Handoffs to BWest and Buck and Tapeh and Moats. Lots of involvement there. Make the D stop you, run the clock. It will help McNabb and the D.

* More variation in the defensive scheme. I know that Kearse's injury really hurt the D with their "joker" formation and such. There's no reason why they can't do even more stuff using Dawkins as the "joker". What about using Michael Lewis closer to the line of scrimmage?

* Improvements at key areas. Matt McCoy and the Lewis/Considine SS spot need to be better. Dhani Jones has been solid, and I can't ask for more from him. Teams run right at McCoy, and he has performed poorly. He doesn't shed well enough. I'd rather have Barber out there if McCoy isn't going to perform better.

* Fewer super deep balls and more 10-20 yard routes. Teams respect our deep passing game, so the middle of the field should be open for all of the weapons. Run one man deep, then work the middle of the field more. We did that early in the season, but I haven't seen enough of it in the past 3 games.

* Play a full 60 minutes. This team can be dominant and has dominated halves and 3/4 of a game. The 4th quarter has been pretty piss poor. The team needs to start fast, beat down an opponent, then close out the game. This team could be 7-1 right now if they could close out.

robert_rodriguez_nyc 11-09-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358
Well, looks like the Eagles thread gets a fresh start, just like the Eagles after the bye week. Things I want to see in the second half:

* A 60/40 pass/run balance. I'm not even talking short passes and screens. I want the Eagles to run the ball 40% of the time. Handoffs to BWest and Buck and Tapeh and Moats. Lots of involvement there. Make the D stop you, run the clock. It will help McNabb and the D.

* More variation in the defensive scheme. I know that Kearse's injury really hurt the D with their "joker" formation and such. There's no reason why they can't do even more stuff using Dawkins as the "joker". What about using Michael Lewis closer to the line of scrimmage?

* Improvements at key areas. Matt McCoy and the Lewis/Considine SS spot need to be better. Dhani Jones has been solid, and I can't ask for more from him. Teams run right at McCoy, and he has performed poorly. He doesn't shed well enough. I'd rather have Barber out there if McCoy isn't going to perform better.

* Fewer super deep balls and more 10-20 yard routes. Teams respect our deep passing game, so the middle of the field should be open for all of the weapons. Run one man deep, then work the middle of the field more. We did that early in the season, but I haven't seen enough of it in the past 3 games.

* Play a full 60 minutes. This team can be dominant and has dominated halves and 3/4 of a game. The 4th quarter has been pretty piss poor. The team needs to start fast, beat down an opponent, then close out the game. This team could be 7-1 right now if they could close out.

Most over-rated secondary in the NFL. Lucky if they beat the Deadskins for 3rd place.

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_rodriguez_nyc
Most over-rated secondary in the NFL. Lucky if they beat the Deadskins for 3rd place.

You know, that is the most amazing analysis I have ever read. Your facts, details, and information were astounding!

If you're going to make this kind of statement, you'd better back it up with some sort of data. Fact is, the secondary has been dinged (Sheppard and Hood), and Michael Lewis has not played well. No one is saying they're the best in the NFL, but there is a lot of talent there between the CB's and Dawkins. If Considine can prove himself at SS, there is no overrating being done. A lot of the success has to do with the pass rush. Without Kearse, the Eagles aren't as good. Period.

I await your ill-informed, opinionated response...

mpt117 11-09-2006 11:57 AM

woo 2nd eagles fan to post haha...bsaza seems like me and you the only eagles fans posting lately

mpt117 11-09-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358
Well, looks like the Eagles thread gets a fresh start, just like the Eagles after the bye week. Things I want to see in the second half:

* A 60/40 pass/run balance. I'm not even talking short passes and screens. I want the Eagles to run the ball 40% of the time. Handoffs to BWest and Buck and Tapeh and Moats. Lots of involvement there. Make the D stop you, run the clock. It will help McNabb and the D.

* More variation in the defensive scheme. I know that Kearse's injury really hurt the D with their "joker" formation and such. There's no reason why they can't do even more stuff using Dawkins as the "joker". What about using Michael Lewis closer to the line of scrimmage?

* Improvements at key areas. Matt McCoy and the Lewis/Considine SS spot need to be better. Dhani Jones has been solid, and I can't ask for more from him. Teams run right at McCoy, and he has performed poorly. He doesn't shed well enough. I'd rather have Barber out there if McCoy isn't going to perform better.

* Fewer super deep balls and more 10-20 yard routes. Teams respect our deep passing game, so the middle of the field should be open for all of the weapons. Run one man deep, then work the middle of the field more. We did that early in the season, but I haven't seen enough of it in the past 3 games.

* Play a full 60 minutes. This team can be dominant and has dominated halves and 3/4 of a game. The 4th quarter has been pretty piss poor. The team needs to start fast, beat down an opponent, then close out the game. This team could be 7-1 right now if they could close out.

i agree with everything you say, except one thing...i have heard considine is playing well other then that i agree with everything

i just saw some thing on espn were they asked salisbury and schlerth about the eagles in or out of the playoffs...both said out and said that the eagles are a one dimensional team, easy to stop since they cant run and cant stop the run. plus they said the only thing we got goin for us is mcnabb

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 12:18 PM

I saw that piece this morning, and they were right. The team has to recommit to the run to prove these pundits wrong. McNabb's success through the air will allow us to run more. Run and control clock to keep the other teams off the field. The Eagles don't necessarily need a "big back" to get this done because the OLine is so huge, they can just road-grade and get it done. Pound the crap out of the opposing teams with Buck and Tapeh, then hit them with Westbrook. All of this will set up the screen and deep ball game.

As for Considine, he is a part time player. The SS position as a whole has to be better.

mpt117 11-09-2006 12:22 PM

so bsaza, what would you like to see the eagles do for FA/Draft this offseason after half the season has gone by

bigbluedefense 11-09-2006 12:24 PM

bsaza, did you make the trade?

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
bsaza, did you make the trade?

My trade partner proposed a counter on less attractive terms, which I rejected. I will do this deal right now because I have a side deal in place to immediately deal TO and McNair for Chad Pennington (16th round keeper) and Santana Moss (8th round keeper). It will reinvigorate my entire keeper roster and leave me with a damn solid team.

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpt117
so bsaza, what would you like to see the eagles do for FA/Draft this offseason after half the season has gone by

In FA, we are going to lose some players. That always happens, of course, but there will be some very significant turnover. I think William Thomas is a goner, and Buck probably won't be back. On D, Michael Lewis, Dhani Jones, Rod Hood, and perhaps Darwin Walker will head out the door. These guys will have to be replaced in some way. Thomas' slot will go immediately to Justice, and there are always RB's out there to be had. I assume the Eagles will draft one. In terms of FA targets, they might have to go after Lance Briggs on principle, though Gocong and Gaither are there to make an impact.

In terms of the draft, I see the Eagles going safety or CB in the first round. Second round, expect to see a line pick, probably OLine. Later in the draft, I would expect another CB, perhaps a developmental TE project, and a bigger RB to replace Buck. The Eagles really can sit back and draft for the future. They don't really have immediate needs that can't be filled by current players.

Dillen 11-09-2006 01:37 PM

Lito Sheppard has been much better than I expected this year. He got burned a lot last year but he's been lockdown, opposed to Sheldon.

portermvp84 11-09-2006 01:51 PM

Brain Dawkins has got to be one of the best hard hitting saftys in the league.

Dillen 11-09-2006 01:52 PM

...No kidding.

mpt117 11-09-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsaza2358
Quote:

Originally Posted by mpt117
so bsaza, what would you like to see the eagles do for FA/Draft this offseason after half the season has gone by

In FA, we are going to lose some players. That always happens, of course, but there will be some very significant turnover. I think William Thomas is a goner, and Buck probably won't be back. On D, Michael Lewis, Dhani Jones, Rod Hood, and perhaps Darwin Walker will head out the door. These guys will have to be replaced in some way. Thomas' slot will go immediately to Justice, and there are always RB's out there to be had. I assume the Eagles will draft one. In terms of FA targets, they might have to go after Lance Briggs on principle, though Gocong and Gaither are there to make an impact.

In terms of the draft, I see the Eagles going safety or CB in the first round. Second round, expect to see a line pick, probably OLine. Later in the draft, I would expect another CB, perhaps a developmental TE project, and a bigger RB to replace Buck. The Eagles really can sit back and draft for the future. They don't really have immediate needs that can't be filled by current players.

i agree that lewis and buckhalter we'll be gone, but idk bout thomas...since justice hasnt played yet i could see thomas staying next year to groom justice. and same about darwin as he is/has been one of our better DTs. plus i hear this is jones best year in an eagles uniform

mpt117 11-09-2006 03:33 PM

besides briggs, adalius thomas and cato june are free agents...i wouldnt mind either of them and would prob cost less than briggs. plus, june can cover which our LBs lack...also i would love to get ken hamlin, as he is a FA too

Dillen 11-09-2006 04:08 PM

I dont want Briggs or June. Briggs wouldnt be as effective at SLB, and June would be a DISASTER at SLB. Thomas is awesome, but I'm not sure they'd spend big money on a 30 year old guy to fill a spot where they already drafted the guy for the future.

Hamlin would be one guy I'd spend the bank for. Unfortunately, I doubt he leaves Seattle.

bsaza2358 11-09-2006 04:35 PM

Seattle has a bit of a salary cap issue. With raises in store for Bernard, Alexander, Jones, and Hasselbeck, they also have to consider locking up Trufant and their other young players to extensions. DJax could be in line for a restructuring as well, and there are some interior OLine issues to address. Depending on how big the cap is, Hamlin could get away. I don't think the Seahawks could afford the franchise tag. The Eagles have a good chunk of cap room in the offseason once Lewis and Hood are off the books. They also clear the TO cap hit off and could get a nice bump if Walker heads out the door. This is a young team (except for McNabb, Trotter, the OT's, and Dawk). There is a decent amount of wiggle room there.

I mentioned Briggs earlier just because of his reputation. Now that I think about it, his reputation as a playmaker could drive his price out of the range that the Eagles would pay. They have Roper and Gocong to groom at SAM LB as well.

Dillen 11-09-2006 07:27 PM

Cole was extended till 2013. Reggie Brown just extended until 2014. Nice.

mpt117 11-11-2006 04:48 PM

hmm boreds been dead for a couple days...ok predictions for the game tomorrow?

Go_Eagles77 11-11-2006 06:26 PM

Whats up guys. Do you think that if the birds lose tomorrow the season is officially over? Everyone keeps saying that but I'm not so sure. I don't want to give up on them just yet but I was reminded last year that it makes it a lot easier to cope with a loss. However a win doesn't feel as good. Anyway the offseason. Michael Griffin is my dream 1st rounder, but as a future replacement for Dawk, not at SS. I like Considine for that. Just like many Eagles fans I really like Adalius Thomas to come in through FA, Jones is a disgrace. As for running back I'd love for Tony Hunt to come in and be a Brandon Jacobs-like back, and come in in short yardage and goal line situations. Maybe even Brian Leonard because he seems like a great fit in out system. We only have a few glaring weaknesses and if we fix them there is no doubt in my mind we will be a Super Bowl contender again. Go Eagles!!!

mpt117 11-11-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77
Whats up guys. Do you think that if the birds lose tomorrow the season is officially over? Everyone keeps saying that but I'm not so sure. I don't want to give up on them just yet but I was reminded last year that it makes it a lot easier to cope with a loss. However a win doesn't feel as good. Anyway the offseason. Michael Griffin is my dream 1st rounder, but as a future replacement for Dawk, not at SS. I like Considine for that. Just like many Eagles fans I really like Adalius Thomas to come in through FA, Jones is a disgrace. As for running back I'd love for Tony Hunt to come in and be a Brandon Jacobs-like back, and come in in short yardage and goal line situations. Maybe even Brian Leonard because he seems like a great fit in out system. We only have a few glaring weaknesses and if we fix them there is no doubt in my mind we will be a Super Bowl contender again. Go Eagles!!!

i woud love the eagles to get griffin as well...i dont want thomas because hes already 30 and hes prob lookin for a lot of money then he should be getting...plus we have gocong waiting...we traded up in the 3rd round to get him and he was hurt, give him a chance...from what i have seen from considine so far i like it...tapeh is doing fine and i would like tony hunt too

mpt117 11-11-2006 08:14 PM

the eagles are interested in tony gonzalez? well it appears they are dying to get him according to sporting news. what do you think of this? i dont like it as we have lj smith who is younger and would cost less...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=147267

look at number 7

Dillen 11-12-2006 09:43 AM

If the Eagles let go of Smith it will be a mistake. I know his contract runs out after next year and not this, but he's one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL and if they continue to pass this much they need to hold onto him.

mpt117 11-12-2006 02:10 PM

Barbers playing well so far at LB and i saw McCoy miss a couple tackles...run defense has somewhat improved but still giving up some big runs


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.