Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Can Lance Briggs get a 1st round pick via trade? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956)

Smokey Joe 11-18-2006 08:02 PM

Can Lance Briggs get a 1st round pick via trade?

There was a thread about this last week, but I couldn't find it. I think sweetness34 asked the question: if Lance Briggs is franchised tagged in the offseason, and traded, could the Bear get a 1st round pick out of it?

At first I said no, but now that I think into it more, why not? He is young, only 25 or 26, and if he stays healthy the rest of the season and everything goes as planned, he will surely be going to his second straight pro-bowl. The only problem is that he will be looking for a huge contract.

So, what are your thoughts?

Staubach12 11-18-2006 08:03 PM

Yes.

sweetness34 11-18-2006 08:06 PM

I'll take a first round pick any day of the week for Briggs. Please let it be some really bad team so we can get a high draft pick. :D

SFbear 11-18-2006 08:10 PM

I think if Rivera gets a head coaching job somewhere he could convince that front office that Briggs is the kind of player he could build a future defense around playing either OLB or MLB.

Smokey Joe 11-18-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbear
I think if Rivera gets a head coaching job somewhere he could convince that front office that Briggs is the kind of player he could build a future defense around playing either OLB or MLB.

that is true. I never thought of it that way before.

bearfan 11-18-2006 08:22 PM

I say no, but the Rivera theory is an idea to toy w/.

bigbluedefense 11-18-2006 08:26 PM

I can see maybe Tampa investing in him. But I think that most teams will play it smart and wait for him to be UFA. Why give up something for him when you can just buy him a year later? I doubt a team pulls the trigger on him.

bearsfan_51 11-18-2006 08:42 PM

I've been saying forever no. I don't even think we'll franchise him at this point, although I hope we do.

miamichamp_305 11-18-2006 08:59 PM

*crosses fingers* Please don't franchise him so Dolfins at least have a shot at getting him.

Smokey Joe 11-18-2006 09:11 PM

What was the John Abraham story last year, again? Was he franchised and wanted out, or how did it work? I forget how it went, but I do remember the Jets getting a 1st round pick for him.

bearsfan_51 11-18-2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamichamp_305
*crosses fingers* Please don't franchise him so Dolfins at least have a shot at getting him.

How could that even work unless Zach Thomas plans on retiring? They have Channing Crowder already and Briggs won't play SLB (not to mention nobody spends big money on SLB).

Look, unless your team has a big need at MLB or WLB and you've got lots of money to spend (something similar to Peterson's 7 years 49 million deal) you aren't going to sign Briggs. There's a reason why Chicago is likely letting him go.

Smokey Joe 11-18-2006 09:16 PM

I can easily see Briggs playing for New Orleans next year.

draftguru151 11-18-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:

Originally Posted by miamichamp_305

How could that even work unless Zach Thomas plans on retiring? They have Channing Crowder already and Briggs won't play SLB (not to mention nobody spends big money on SLB).

Look, unless your team has a big need at MLB or WLB and you've got lots of money to spend (something similar to Peterson's 7 years 49 million deal) you aren't going to sign Briggs. There's a reason why Chicago is likely letting him go.

Yea we don't need him.

Smokey Joe 11-18-2006 11:43 PM

possible trade partners for briggs...

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

Tubby 11-19-2006 01:06 AM

not from the hawks, but definately from most teams

Splat 11-19-2006 08:19 AM

No more then a 2nd round pick IMO.

11-19-2006 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey Joe

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

I think we might give our 2nd for him but I think he'll just hit FA.

Smokey Joe 11-19-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
Quote:

Cardinals
Panthers
Texans
Saints

I think we might give our 2nd for him but I think he'll just hit FA.

well ofcourse a 2nd from the cards. I am thinking late 1st round picks, early second.

DMWSackMachine 11-20-2006 01:48 AM

Well, I think it's highly unlikely that you will get anything for him, just because teams know that he will eventually be on the market anyway, but I would value him at a high 2nd at most. Still, if a team can turn Deion freakin' Branch into a 1st rounder, than who knows? Also, I just don't think Briggs is a "cornerstone" type player. Obviously, I'm not the best qualified to decide that, but he seems more like a Scottie Pippen type, who excels best in the sidekicks role than a real focal point for a defense. He would be great in Az, Tampa, NO or Philly, though. I just hope he doesn't come to the East.

Shiver 11-20-2006 02:15 AM

I think he'd be a great fit, to be the final piece for the Texans defense, next to DeMeco Ryans. They need a OLB and FS, and they can be an elite unit.

portermvp84 11-20-2006 01:36 PM

Yeah, i would do it. He would be an awesome upgrade to the Raiders linbacking core.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 11-20-2006 03:13 PM

What if: Briggs+First rounder=Higher first rounder? Thoughts? Maybe?

derza222 11-20-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

What was the John Abraham story last year, again? Was he franchised and wanted out, or how did it work? I forget how it went, but I do remember the Jets getting a 1st round pick for him.

He got franchised, he wanted a big contract (long term) which we didn't want to give him due to injury concerns and eventually it got to the point where we didn't really want him anymore either. We would have kept him if we couldn't find a trade, but we were going to probably pull the trigger on anything better than a mid-second rounder. I was surprised we got as much as you did to be honest, but very happy nevertheless.

roidrunner 02-26-2007 08:11 AM

i could see it happening that a first would be given out for him. he is already asking for a trade and the bears are just not listening to him. so a first is not out of the question

Bearsfan123 02-26-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutlerChris (Post 66674)
What if: Briggs+First rounder=Higher first rounder? Thoughts? Maybe?

Ohhhh Laron Landry here we come!