Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Who would give Ohio State the best game in the NC? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=960)

jriles0522 11-19-2006 12:13 AM

Who would give Ohio State the best game in the NC?

I'd like to see Ohio State-USC just because we've already seen michigan, but i dont think anyone else besides michigan has a legit shot at us. Then again anything can happen FIFTY days from now.

4pAc 11-19-2006 12:17 AM

UM, Arkansas would be interesting though

snuff 11-19-2006 12:18 AM

I could see any of these teams beating tOSU, kinda like a Georgia vs WVU situation when everyone thinks its blowout. Although truly I think Michigan is the only team well rounded enough to truly hang/beat tOSU.

TCU 11-19-2006 12:36 AM

michigan lost by 3 at OSU's place and they probably would have won by 3 at their place so id like to see them at a nuetral site

danman253 11-19-2006 01:44 AM

Ummmm Michigan and its not even close.

11-19-2006 06:01 AM

We beat Michigan.....give me a new team to beat.

Michigans just lucky there was 3 turnovers giving them great field position or this game would have been won by 3 TD's.

roidrunner 11-19-2006 06:49 AM

Louisville. shoot out all the way. :twisted:

Canadian_kid16 11-19-2006 07:15 AM

I wanna be optimistic, so I said ND...but in truth its proly Michigan, like TCU said, It'd be interesting to see them play at a neutral site...

11-19-2006 07:34 AM

When one team beats another, you move on to the next challenge.

You dont get 2nd chances in college football. Thats why this game was so big and the better team won, both teams knew this going into the game.

draftguru151 11-19-2006 08:32 AM

Michigan is the only team that has a chance against them.

And anyone else notice that the OSU fans seem afraid to play UM again?

The OUTLAW 11-19-2006 09:32 AM

I don't think OSU fans are afraid of UM. Fact is that OSU has won 5 of the last 6 meetings. However being rivals and the fact that OSU won makes fans wonder why Michigan should get another shot. It's never worked that way before and most think Michigan had it's shot and doesn't deserve another. I for 1 have little doubt that OSU is the better team. It is however difficult to get motivated enough (as the winner) to play them a second time.

keylime_5 11-19-2006 09:43 AM

Michigan no doubt, but they don't deserve to play us again, that wouldn't be fair. And if they did, then OSU would have to get a split title with them in the event of a loss to be fair. (we gotta beat them twice, they only have to win once? not a fair situation.)

Gang Green 11-19-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5
Michigan no doubt, but they don't deserve to play us again, that wouldn't be fair. And if they did, then OSU would have to get a split title with them in the event of a loss to be fair. (we gotta beat them twice, they only have to win once? not a fair situation.)

I would take that deal. :D

Gang Green 11-19-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
Michigan is the only team that has a chance against them.

And anyone else notice that the OSU fans seem afraid to play UM again?

They defintely do, but if we beat OSU by three, I would hate to play them again in the championship game.

The OUTLAW 11-19-2006 09:57 AM

People just aren't taking into consideration that this is a rivalry. OSU has played Michigan once a year for a long long time and generally speaking that one game was for all the marbles. One team went on to play in the Rose Bowl and often for a national championship and the other team waited til next year. Now I understand why Michigan wants a rematch, but the bottom line is that it's always been one and done and it really shouldn't change this year.

thetedginnshow 11-19-2006 10:30 AM

Of those teams, beyond Michigan, Florida and Arkansas. Florida has everything. Solid on defense with playmakers on offense. Arkansas has the runningbacks to dominate. Of course, I think their defense would eventually tire down. So really, Florida and Michigan, but I've said those are the only two teams I feel that are on Ohio State's level for quite some time now (though that wouldn't mean that any other school couldn't give them a good game).

Mr. Stiller 11-19-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OUTLAW
People just aren't taking into consideration that this is a rivalry. OSU has played Michigan once a year for a long long time and generally speaking that one game was for all the marbles. One team went on to play in the Rose Bowl and often for a national championship and the other team waited til next year. Now I understand why Michigan wants a rematch, but the bottom line is that it's always been one and done and it really shouldn't change this year.

BUT!.

heres the question that needs answered.

Even though Michigan lost to OSU.

Texas was dominated by OSU
USC Lost to unranked Oregon State have to beat ND
ND Lost to Michigan by 26 and have to beat USC
Florida lost to #11 Auburn.
Arkansas lost to USC by 36 points
Louisville lost to #15 Rutgers
WVU lost to #5 Louisville
Rutgers lost to Unranked Cincy
Boise State is undefeated but hasn't played a ranked team all season.

Michigan lost to the #1 team by 3 points. By Common Sense (Not bcs standards) Michigan should stay #2. And Vie for the NC.

The OUTLAW 11-19-2006 10:37 AM

I can't think of even one team has ever lost a game (even against the number one) and not moved downward in the polls. How're you going to lose and stay at 2. I see Michigan falling to 3 and only getting a shot at OSU if USC loses. And even then people would be tempted to use the timing of the losses to possibly bump ND over Mich (which would be a daggone shame).

Geo 11-19-2006 10:53 AM

Arkansas can hang with the Buckeyes, and maybe even beat them.

The rest of that list, I'm not as sure (yesterday's UM-tOSU game wasn't as close as the 3-pt margin would indicate).

thetedginnshow 11-19-2006 10:56 AM

Quote:

I can't think of even one team has ever lost a game (even against the number one) and not moved downward in the polls. How're you going to lose and stay at 2. I see Michigan falling to 3 and only getting a shot at OSU if USC loses. And even then people would be tempted to use the timing of the losses to possibly bump ND over Mich (which would be a daggone shame).

ND lost last year and I'm pretty sure they stayed right where they were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Quote:

BUT!.

heres the question that needs answered.

Even though Michigan lost to OSU.

Texas was dominated by OSU
USC Lost to unranked Oregon State have to beat ND
ND Lost to Michigan by 26 and have to beat USC
Florida lost to #11 Auburn.
Arkansas lost to USC by 36 points
Louisville lost to #15 Rutgers
WVU lost to #5 Louisville
Rutgers lost to Unranked Cincy
Boise State is undefeated but hasn't played a ranked team all season.

Michigan lost to the #1 team by 3 points. By Common Sense (Not bcs standards) Michigan should stay #2. And Vie for the NC.

Not sure why two-loss Texas was brought up. It'd depend on how impressive USC could look in a win against ND to see how they've improved. ND shouldn't be in the discussion. Florida cam off a huge win, went to a ranked Auburn's house, looked impressive, had a controversial call, and didn't lose by much. Arkansas is a completely different team from when they faced USC, but we saw what happens when you don't have a solid QB (Rutgers). Not sure why Louisville is in the discussion. WVU should actually be in the discussion, but they have no shot now. Not sure why Rutgers or BSU are in the conversation.

So really, IMO, the teams that should be up for consideration are Michigan, Florida, WVU, USC, and Arkansas. And I'd probably say that they're deserving of being in the NC in that order.

The OUTLAW 11-19-2006 11:07 AM

Notre Dame is a strange case. They get alot more respect than they deserve at all times.

SuperMcGee 11-19-2006 11:18 AM

If ND beats USC, and Arkansas beats top-10 LSU and top-5 Florida, what happens there?

11-19-2006 11:23 AM

Arkansas or Michigan would have the best shot.

danman253 11-19-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland31
We beat Michigan.....give me a new team to beat.

Michigans just lucky there was 3 turnovers giving them great field position or this game would have been won by 3 TD's.

jesus christ, you are ridiculous. it was great game. Turnovers are part of the game. I could say "If Manningham would have caught that pass we would have won." or"If Crable did not hit Smith." Christ5 you're dumb.

danman253 11-19-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleveland31
When one team beats another, you move on to the next challenge.

You dont get 2nd chances in college football. Thats why this game was so big and the better team won, both teams knew this going into the game.

Thats not the question at hand. Its who gives the best matchup against them ace.