Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

Default HINDSIGHT 20/20 HOUSTON TEXANS Do-OVER 2006 DRAFT

We all know that the Texans should not have taken Mario Williams with the #1 overall pick, with 2 truely special SKILL players in the draft.

But should they have taken the Heisman Sensation Reggie BUSH who some compare to, well, a lot of great ones, or should they have dealt DAVID CARR (to Miami, Oak, Min) for a high pick and then taken VINCE YOUNG and sold out every seat in the house?

BUSH or VINCE?

Remember, even with Leinart, Jarrett, etc. Bush lost to Vince as VY singlehandedly beat USC. Of course, Vince is now 8-2 I think as a starter in the NFL with 6 straight wins, for a team that was 4-12 last season.

VINCE or BUSH?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think they made the right decision by taking Mario. Maybe they shouldn't have taken him at #1 but Williams was the right pick for the team.

There, I said it.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should have picked D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:48 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

Jango,

Fair enough amigo.
Someone else didn't have the same balls as you though. I see 2 votes for Mario, and only you admitted it.

More later.....
Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Mario. Mario is a VERY rare DE prospect with his amazing combination of speed and size. He's got Peppers potential, except he's even bigger. They also just resigned Carr, and even though he's looking like a bust now, he was just a guy missing a line. His line still sucks but most people are sold he's a bust. But even with VY, they're in the AFC South, and in order to win that division, you gotta beat the Colts. And it's very difficult to beat them in a shootout, and as the Chargers, Steelers and Pats demonstrated, to beat the Colts, pressure Peyton Manning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:56 PM    (permalink

Mario Williams and the reasons why:

1. Reggie Bush can not run between the tackles and does not fit the ZBS in hindsight (and he never did).
2. DE is a bigger need than the QB position and Houston lacks elite defensive talent.
3. Mario Williams has just as much upside as Vince Young and Reggie Bush.
4. In a division where you must stop the Colts offense if you want to win the division. This has not been done yet and drafting Mario Williams would be a big help.
5. Vince Young while he has made great runs is still very inconsistent when throwing the ball and still shows bad mechanics, but he is getting better.

That's all I can think of and that is more reasons imo than drafting Bush or Vince Young.
SterlingSharpe

Interesting early results...... would be fun to re-visit this one in 3 years and re-read everyone's stances.

If I was Houston, I would have gotten a late #1 pick in the draft from Miami for David Carr and would have taken Vince Young. Besides the fact that he is a pure winner, he also MIGHT take the game to new heights.
Oh, and I do care about the people of Houston and they love Vince. The dude is the king of Houston... I don't see how you can overlook the cities love for the guy. And he beat Leinart/Bush by himself, and beat Ohio State last year, Michigan the year before.... the guy is unreal.

Time will tell....
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they made the right choice in MArio. Bush doesn't fit the ZBS and they didn't know that Young was going to bomb. in that respect Mario was the best choice fro the get go.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:00 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

To be drafted ahead of those two special offensive guys, and be the #1 overall pick as a DE, you better be special, a once-in-a-decade player.
A Bruce Smith, Julius Peppers type.

Correct me if I'm wrong but those guys won every defensive award their final collegiate season, yet Mario didn't even win his conference defensive player of the year award. I think he was 3rd or 4th place in the ACC for that conference award.

I know some people get hung up on measurables, size, speed on the track, but if this guy didn't even dominate the ACC offensive linemen, why would you think he's gonna be another Bruce Smith or Peppers?

Fair question?
Results on the field are much more important that time trials.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:03 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
I know some people get hung up on measurables, size, speed on the track, but if this guy didn't even dominate the ACC offensive linemen, why would you think he's gonna be another Bruce Smith or Peppers?
you have heard of things like "potential" and "coaching" right? :roll:
Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Fair question?
Reggie Bush's rushing results are bad, he's averaging 3.6 yards a carry. Thats worse than most teams backups, Im pretty sure Marios sack totals arent'lower than most backups in the NFL.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:09 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

mario. defense was a massive need and realistically, DE is a much tougher position to fill with a potentially elite player.

then again, you've probably completely overlooked his on-field production this season (OP). or you think the texans had a stud defense? or that you don't need a good defense to be a good team?

it's also easy to say you would've gotten X from team Y for a certain player, but i don't buy for a second that miami would've given up a first for carr, given that they only gave up a second for a former 3 time pro bowl player.

it's also incredibly presumptuous and stupid to believe that "we all know the texans should not have taken ...." moreso when you follow that up by saying they should have taken vince and sold out every seat in the hosue. funny, they've already been doing that for a while. "Counting preseason contests, the Texans have played to 30 consecutive sellouts and set a team record in 2004 with 565,192 fans during the regular season, an average of 70,649 per game" - http://www.houstontexans.com/tickets/history.php

so far, the only reasonable thing you've said was that houston loved vince, which is, quite simply, a stupid reason to take a player.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mario's owning this poll right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_perfection
Quote:

Fair question?
Reggie Bush's rushing results are bad, he's averaging 3.6 yards a carry. Thats worse than most teams backups, Im pretty sure Marios sack totals arent'lower than most backups in the NFL.
That's not fair, look at the Bush as a reciever, return man etc. It's not fair to just look at him as a RB, of which he has improved as the season went on. But let's not get bogged down on Bush, this is about Williams.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HawkeyeFan votes for Mario

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM    (permalink

Lets also not forget that it takes more time to develop as a DE than a RB (and maybe even QB) so I think Mario hasn't even reached his potential at all this season.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Added to that, Mario has been playing with an injury for the majority of the season, a foot injury which has hampered him big time.

And for anyone who brings up the VY OT TD run against Houston, take another look at that play and in the top see the immense amount of holding on Williams.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

So Marion has improved the Texans more than Bush has the Saints?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Quote:
So Marion has improved the Texans more than Bush has the Saints?
That's not the question that should be asked. Would Bush have made the same impact for the Texans that he has done for the Saints? That should be the question you should ask and honestly, I think the answer is no and that is why I believe they were right in taking Williams.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:33 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe

Interesting... so based on these results so far, the Texans do not deserve any criticism of the pick.

I can tell you one thing: I still remember taking Tony Mandarich ahead of Barry and Deion, and Derrick Thomas. The experts at the time said Tony was so strong, that he had natural ability not seen before, but it might take time for him to dominate........
Old 12-30-2006, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Go_Eli
Veteran

Go_Eli hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans will be the cornerstones of that defense for years. Williams was the right pick, maybe at the wrong spot.
Go_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Interesting... so based on these results so far, the Texans do not deserve any criticism of the pick.

I can tell you one thing: I still remember taking Tony Mandarich ahead of Barry and Deion, and Derrick Thomas. The experts at the time said Tony was so strong, that he had natural ability not seen before, but it might take time for him to dominate........
so you're calling mario williams one of the biggest busts of all time and a steroid user? :roll: great comparison.

i remember a guy named ryan leaf. he sounds a lot like vince young.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
ks_perfection wrote:
Quote:

Fair question?

That's not fair, look at the Bush as a reciever, return man etc. It's not fair to just look at him as a RB, of which he has improved as the season went on. But let's not get bogged down on Bush, this is about Williams.
I know its not entirely fair, but if Bush had gone to the Texans he would have been the feature back. Bush would have been forced to run alot more and had less time to be a receiver. He wouldn't have done the extra stuff he does in NO.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:44 PM    (permalink
LSU Man
Rookie

LSU Man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I will say i was shocked that Houston didn't take Bush but looking at it now Mario was the right pick. I don't think they should have taken him with the number one pick though. Mario will improve with time he may not be Peppers next year but he will improve.

If the Texans had taken Bush or Young we would all be saying how much of a bust they are.

I voted Super Mario
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM    (permalink
dre1614
Rookie

dre1614 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Man
I will say i was shocked that Houston didn't take Bush but looking at it now Mario was the right pick. I don't think they should have taken him with the number one pick though. Mario will improve with time he may not be Peppers next year but he will improve.

If the Texans had taken Bush or Young we would all be saying how much of a bust they are.

I voted Super Mario
Superman cant be a bust, he wins wherever he goes
dre1614 is offline   Reply With Quote