Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football > Recruiting

Recruiting Discuss High School Recruiting

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

V. Young hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Jonas gray..nebraska??

Rivals looks like its showing jonas might choose nebraska soon. Hes get them high over other schools. He looks like he could be really good. How do you guys feel about him?
V. Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:59 AM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

He just made a solid verbal to neb.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He made a solid verbal to Nebraska a while ago.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
DWilliams2IndyColts
Veteran

DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.DWilliams2IndyColts hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everywhere else had his verbal a while ago but I think Rivals just forgot to put it down.

Michael "Franchise" Young QB Akron Zepplins #10
164/281, 58.4% 1956 yards, 10 TD/8 INT
50 rushes, 321 yards, 4 TD, 6.4 YPC
Record: 7-3
DWilliams2IndyColts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Yeah rivals just got it on there.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

IMO, he's a little bit overrated. Great size and speed combination, but he he runs a little bit like Michael Johnson, and he has below average shiftiness. Will come up with the big play on occasion, but outside of those runs will average 3-4 yards per carry.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

Jonas committed to Nebraska weeks ago. Rivals was all over his announcement, as they were at his presser he had in his HS. Scout was as well. You're wayyyy behind my friend. lol

I'm just glad someone got in their 'overrated' shot when a certain prospect doesn't choose their school. Oh well.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillie26 View Post
Jonas committed to Nebraska weeks ago. Rivals was all over his announcement, as they were at his presser he had in his HS. Scout was as well. You're wayyyy behind my friend. lol

I'm just glad someone got in their 'overrated' shot when a certain prospect doesn't choose their school. Oh well.
The guy's a Wisconsin fan. Wisconsin was nowhere in the mix.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
The guy's a Wisconsin fan. Wisconsin was nowhere in the mix.
Damn right.

So nobody can make the claim that any player is overrated, lest they get accused of being bitter by his commitment/signing school's fans? Wisconsin was never a legit player for Jonas Gray. I call Wisconsin commits and legit prospects overrated all the time, and rarely are my opinions on players driven by cognitive dissonant bias or bitterness. It's not my M.O. I think Marcus Cromartie is overrated and I'm befuddled as to why he got offered by Florida. It seemed premature to me for the Badgers to accept commits from Zach Davison and Brandon Marti. I think Jonas Gray is overrated. That statement may not end up being 100 percent accurate, but it's not because I'm bitter. That's just my opinion.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Quote:

Okay, jerk.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.bwillie26 could make a wolverine purr.

Wisconsin was in the mix early for Jonas, before getting shunned.

But the thing is, most RB's average 4YPC before busting a big one that allows their averages to jet up.

For instance ...

15 carries, 60 yards (4YPC)

Then on that 16 carry, you bust a 30 yard gain.

16 carries, 90 yards (5.6YPC)

So what Bernie is saying is true for most RBs. Their averages will be low, until they break that big gainer that allows their averages to look better. I don't see exactly what the problem is with that.

To me, he gives you exactly what you look for in a Bill Callahan WCO running back. The only thing he needs to be able to do in our zone blocking scheme is realize his cut back lanes and be able to hit them. We know he is going to do it with force, because the guy is a downhill runner. He also gives the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, which is a HUGE thing in the WCO.

Everyone here knows if you go to a NIKE Camp and perform well, you will shoot up the charts. Look at EJ Manuel, for example. Jonas Gray is certainly no different.

And VYoung, don't bring some childish banter to the board.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Quote:

But the thing is, most RB's average 4YPC before busting a big one that allows their averages to jet up.

For instance ...

So what Bernie is saying is true for most RBs. Their averages will be low, until they break that big gainer that allows their averages to look better. I don't see exactly what the problem is with that.

To me, he gives you exactly what you look for in a Bill Callahan WCO running back. The only thing he needs to be able to do in our zone blocking scheme is realize his cut back lanes and be able to hit them. We know he is going to do it with force, because the guy is a downhill runner. He also gives the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, which is a HUGE thing in the WCO.

Everyone here knows if you go to a NIKE Camp and perform well, you will shoot up the charts. Look at EJ Manuel, for example. Jonas Gray is certainly no different.

Well duh...we know how the ypc works. childish banter..ahah
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

Quote:

For instance ...

Before getting shunned? Gray didn't string the Badgers on long enough for any emotion to be brought into his situation.

The only way I can legitimately determine if a recruit is overrated is by watching video. 98-99 percent of the video I watch is from players who were at one time considered Badger prospects. The other 1-2 percent is from players who are considered elite. The rest I'm not really concerned enough with. By your logic, I'll pretty much never be able to claim that a player is overrated, unless he's a Badger commitment. The only players rated highly enough to be considered overrated, would certainly have Badger offers. Therefore, they're in position to get "shunned". And the Badgers do get shunned 99 percent of the time by the top players. I'm used to it. I was saying Brandon Beachum would be an excellent linebacker for the Badgers when they were seemingly the favorite. Now he went to Penn State, and I still think he'll be an excellent linebacker. I said C.J. Peake was an amazing player when he committed to Wisconsin, and I was still saying the same after he decommitted (looks like an impact player at Louisville). Willie Mobley seems to be spurning Wisconsin, amongst others, for OSU. It doesn't change my opinion that he's a beast. So what makes Jonas Gray an exceptional situation to make me bitter? I think he's a little overrated for the reasons I said. You didn't like hearing it at as a Nebraska fan because you think someone is raining on your parade. You're the only person who's being biased between us.

I said he'll average 3-4 yards per carry outside of the home runs. 3 yards per carry on 3 downs, doesn't net you a first down. 4 does. So maybe a first down one out of every two set of downs. And the occasional big play. I don't think that makes for an overly effective back. Eddie George ran for a consistent 4 yards per carry every down with the Titans and was virtually unstoppable. Hart's somewhat of a poor man's version with Michigan. I'll take consistent grinding running backs over players who are inconsistent but will make a spectacular play occasionally. Optimum, you do both. However, I don't think that Gray is that type of player. He'll get buried in the backfield because his vision isn't top notch, and his strength doesn't match up with his size.

Last edited by BerninWI : 08-19-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Well said bernin. So hes not the next brandon jackson or ahman green? He just looked realy good, but kinda runs like a michael bush as you said, kinda moves his legs in a odd way..its interesting how he runs.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

See, now you are trying to put words in my mouth. You have determined that something that other recruiting analysts and schools have not been able to see -- that Jonas Gray is overrated. So you are likely either showing bias, or not evaluating Jonas based on the same tape everyone else has seen. Jonas was rated highly before he went to the West Lafayette NIKE Camp. He went there and showed to the scouts that he was the best RB at that event and earned his status among the elite. He even furthered that by going to a camp being ran by Michigan. At that camp he ran in the 4.3's showing off he has pretty damm good speed for a 215lbs. running back.

Going by what you have stated -- Gray doesn't have the speed, agility, vision or run with the power to be a top-shelf RB at the next level. I mean, essentially, you are saying he is a mid-major esque player. lol

I'm looking at his highlight tapes right now, and I see a player with great vision while showing his patientce to allow his teammates to set up blocks for him. Once those blocks are set, he is hitting the hole at full speed, just running by the DB's who are being left in the dust.

If you or anyone else think he does not run with power, go to highlight reel 5 on his Rivals profile. Around the 30 second, he plants and runs back into traffic, running thru about 4-5 tackes IN TRAFFIC on his way to a big gainer.

The big thing about Jonas' entire highlight reel, he is showing off speed that is on another level compared to his opponents. If he gets a step on any of them, it's over. If he turns the corner to see daylight, it's over.

After the highlight I mentioned above, the next run shows his patience and vision again. He allows his block to set up, plants his foot in the ground, then is at full speed quickly again. He makes one tackle miss, then he runs thru a tackle of a defensive lineman of all people on his way to a TD.

I mean, seriously, are we even watching the same highlight tapes -- honestly?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Dude you're the one that said he was over rated now you are raving about him...haha. The same paragraph you say he is overrated and now you are raving about him? haha
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

^

WTH are you even talking about?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

You just said hes overrated on rivals. And then you state all this good stuff about him. Which one is it? Overrated or not overrated?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

^

Put the pipe down or pass it one. Are you even reading the same thread I am? I have never ONCE said that Jonas is overrated.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't heard much about this kid, but a power-back that runs a 4.35??? Damn, is he like Brandon Saine?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
Haven't heard much about this kid, but a power-back that runs a 4.35??? Damn, is he like Brandon Saine?
Maybe he ran a 4.35, but he's not that game fast. He was in the 4.5's at first, maybe he got one of those Combine trainers.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

^

I don't think his 4.3 time is legit. Although he did run it at a Michigan camp, he didn't do it at the NIKE Camp where times are more likely to be accurate.

You should know of Jonas though. I think he is the 35th (somewhere in the 30's anyways) in the Rivals rankings.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
V. Young
Rookie

Must have read it wrong, I see you were talking about rivals..sorry my mistake.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

Bwillie, Gray is ranked the #3 running back in Michigan behind Mark Ingram and Glenn Winston on Michigan Elite High School Football. Ingram is a 3-star player and Winston is 1-star/unrated. http://www.michiganelitefootball.com...s?type=offense

So they obviously feel he's overrated elsewhere too. Are they bitter he didn't commit to their website?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
bwillie26
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerninWI View Post
Bwillie, Gray is ranked the #3 running back in Michigan behind Mark Ingram and Glenn Winston on Michigan Elite High School Football. Ingram is a 3-star player and Winston is 1-star/unrated. http://www.michiganelitefootball.com...s?type=offense

So they obviously feel he's overrated elsewhere too. Are they bitter he didn't commit to their website?
So essentially, you are relying on a website that based two RB's ahead of Jonas, based on what?

You know, it is funny, but the one (and only) website you list contradicts earlier what you said about him being a homerun threat. So which is it? You want to trust a website that contradicts your own evaluation or not?

Heck, lets not even talk about how Mark Dantonio, Lloyd Carr, Bill Callahan, Urban Meyer, Steve Kragthorpe, etc., disagree with your judgment as well.

BTW -- Rivals, Scout, ESPN, Jim Stefani, Max Emfinger, PrepStar, Tom Lemming and Army (who named him a preseason All-American) ALL disagree with your assessment as well . :)

I mean, it is really sad that you brought up a 2 week old thread after you found ONE website who believes Jonas is overrated. Pat yourself on the back and move on. Geez.