Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
20yardline
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default Don Hutson or Jerry Rice: Who is the Greatest WR?

Most current NFL fans know what Jerry Rice has accomplished, setting an holding all of the records for wide receivers in NFL history. But just because a player has all of the records does that make him the best?

Don Hutson was ahead of his time. Here is a Don Hutson Bio you can check out. Take a look and let me know what you think. You may be surprised just how good Don Hutson was. In fact, it took more than 40 years for his records to be broken and he played 10-12 games per season, not 16.

Also, Hutson was far more dominant during his era than Rice was during his. This is a close call and I want to know your thoughts.

Here is something to consider. These are game averages vs. other receivers in their era. Although, Hutson's numbers came before the first passing boom in the late 40's and early 50's.

Don Hutson 4.2 Catches a game 68.9 yards per game and .85 touchdowns per game
Crazy Legs Hirsch 3.0 catches for 55.7 yards per game and 0.47 touchdowns per game
Lavelli 3.1 catches for 52.7 yards per game and 0.58 touchdowns per game

Here is Rice vs. other receivers of his era and shortly after.

Jerry Rice 5.1 catches a game for 75.6 yards per game and 0.65 touchdowns/game
Randy Moss 5.0 catches a game for 79.1 yards per game and 0.81 touchdowns/game
Sterling Sharpe 5.3 catches a game for 72.6 yards per game and 0.58 touchdowns/game

As you can see, Hutson was more dominant during his era than Rice was during his. In fact, even though Hutson did not play in the passing era, and defenses put their focus completely on him, we was better than Rice in 1 of the three categories. Rice on the other hand holds all of the records and probably will hold most of them for a very long time.

Last edited by 20yardline : 02-23-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Adding information
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Are you by any chance a Packers fan? Jerry Rice was EXTREMELY dominant over his era. IMO Rice is the only player who is the undisputed GOAT of his position. Most of his records nearly double the next closest competitior. There's no one at any other position that can claim anything of that nature, even on the day they retired.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 21,450
Reputation: 2325463
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Are you by any chance a Packers fan? Jerry Rice was EXTREMELY dominant over his era. IMO Rice is the only player who is the undisputed GOAT of his position. Most of his records nearly double the next closest competitior. There's no one at any other position that can claim anything of that nature, even on the day they retired.
Funny, I was about to ask if he was a Packers fan as well.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 1397
DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.
Default

Hutson was more dominant because he had a fully formed passing offense in the middle ages of football. It's for the same reason why if you normalize his stats to the modern offensive climate, it becomes obvious that Otto Graham dominated his time more than any other QB. Both players were essentially driving a Porsche while everyone else at the time were still trying to invent the wheel. Their dominance is a testament to the ability of their coaches to create innovative schemes, not as much as the players themselves. While both players were good in college, they weren't anything revolutionary. Jerry Rice on the other hand, was setting records in college, came to the pros, in an era where he didn't really enjoy a pronounced schematic advantage, and set records in the pros.

There's only two positions with an undisputed best player. WR and OLB. Jerry Rice is the best WR ever.
__________________

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 PM    (permalink
20yardline
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default Hutson and Rice are Equals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Are you by any chance a Packers fan? Jerry Rice was EXTREMELY dominant over his era. IMO Rice is the only player who is the undisputed GOAT of his position. Most of his records nearly double the next closest competitior. There's no one at any other position that can claim anything of that nature, even on the day they retired.
No. I am not a Packers fan. I am a fan of football and it's history. In fact, I happen to love Jerry Rice as a player. He is one of my favorite players of all-time. He was great at taking a short slant route and turning it into a long touchdown and was a quarterbacks dream.

I just don't think it is as clear cut as some believe. Jerry Rice was able to play the game at a high level for a very long time. In Hutson's day, players made no money, didn't receive very good medical treatment, and as a result did not play as long.

Brett Favre has all of the passing records, but I don't think he is the greatest quarterback of all-time. I don't even have him in my top 5 all-time. So you can't just go off of stats alone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,747
Reputation: 202312
ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yardline View Post
I just don't think it is as clear cut as some believe. Jerry Rice was able to play the game at a high level for a very long time. In Hutson's day, players made no money, didn't receive very good medical treatment, and as a result did not play as long.

That doesn't help your argument much, it just furthers the argument against it.

The schemes weren't as evolved, and the players weren't as good. There are always players ahead of their time when a sport takes off.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
20yardline
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDwn View Post
That doesn't help your argument much, it just furthers the argument against it.

The schemes weren't as evolved, and the players weren't as good. There are always players ahead of their time when a sport takes off.
I added some additional information to my original post that you might find interesting. Also, you may not have seen one of my other replies about Hutson had a TD every 4.9 catches to Rice's TD every 7.9 catches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Uncle Sam is CLUTCH!
Posts: 5,876
Reputation: 25259
Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yardline View Post
I added some additional information to my original post that you might find interesting. Also, you may not have seen one of my other replies about Hutson had a TD every 4.9 catches to Rice's TD every 7.9 catches.
You tend to have more TDs per catch when your best skill is running by the opposing CB.
__________________


The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: vb
Posts: 12,599
Reputation: 12392
neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Hutson was dominant too, i dont believe he was better, mostly because he just ran straight really fast. But he had 99 TD's in his career. Thats HUGE!!!!!!! for a player in his time. He made the passing game respectable and without him Rice wouldve been a CB or RB. I'd say Hutson is top 5. Sometimes we dont realize the impact of players like him and Unitas because they played so long ago
__________________



Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NOVA
Posts: 3,556
Reputation: 104940
BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Hutson was dominant too, i dont believe he was better, mostly because he just ran straight really fast. But he had 99 TD's in his career. Thats HUGE!!!!!!! for a player in his time. He made the passing game respectable and without him Rice wouldve been a CB or RB. I'd say Hutson is top 5. Sometimes we dont realize the impact of players like him and Unitas because they played so long ago
100% agree with that. Hutson was great for his time and true he didnt play as many games as Rice did, I still think Rice was far more dominate and just a all around better WR.
__________________
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 21,450
Reputation: 2325463
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Some people think Rice is the best. Others don't. It's just like the same routine with Joe Montana in my opinion. I'm just grateful enough that Rice did what he did for the 49ers, and that he was one of the best to play the position.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: There's no place I can be since I found Serenity.
Posts: 20,777
Reputation: 2041711
Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I'm just grateful enough that Rice did what he did for the 49ers, and that he was THE best to play the position.
There I fixed it.
__________________
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 1397
DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Some people think Rice is the best. Others don't. It's just like the same routine with Joe Montana in my opinion. I'm just grateful enough that Rice did what he did for the 49ers, and that he was one of the best to play the position.
The difference is that with Montana, you can create a well rounded argument for several players for them being better than Montana. You can't do that with Rice, the only argument anyone can come up with is that Hutson did really well for playing that long ago. However, when you look at the fact that he only played for one team, and after he left, players like Nolan Luhn had 7 TD seasons in his stead in the same system, it points to a schematic advantage. The packers in that era passed the ball 250-350 times a season, that's a 1970s offense, not 1940s.

Hutson was great, but Rice was great on a level playing field.
__________________

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: California
Posts: 21,450
Reputation: 2325463
Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
The difference is that with Montana, you can create a well rounded argument for several players for them being better than Montana. You can't do that with Rice, the only argument anyone can come up with is that Hutson did really well for playing that long ago. However, when you look at the fact that he only played for one team, and after he left, players like Nolan Luhn had 7 TD seasons in his stead in the same system, it points to a schematic advantage. The packers in that era passed the ball 250-350 times a season, that's a 1970s offense, not 1940s.

Hutson was great, but Rice was great on a level playing field.
Perhaps, but remember Jerry Rice played on a team that was usually dominant year in and year out offensively for at least 14 of his 16 seasons with the ball club with two Hall of Fame quarterbacks. That helped his case immensely.
__________________

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
20yardline
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
The difference is that with Montana, you can create a well rounded argument for several players for them being better than Montana. You can't do that with Rice, the only argument anyone can come up with is that Hutson did really well for playing that long ago. However, when you look at the fact that he only played for one team, and after he left, players like Nolan Luhn had 7 TD seasons in his stead in the same system, it points to a schematic advantage. The packers in that era passed the ball 250-350 times a season, that's a 1970s offense, not 1940s.

Hutson was great, but Rice was great on a level playing field.
In the 1940's and 1950's the Cleveland Browns also had a schematic advantage under Paul Brown.

In the 1980's and 1990's the 49ers had a schematic advantage under Bill Walsh, a Paul Brown disciple. Nobody could duplicate the 49ers scheme for years, and not very successfully until the mid 1990's.

Again, I am not taking anything away from Rice, I loved the guy. In my opinion, Hutson was on par with him. He could go deep for touchdowns, and could take crossing routes or slants for touchdowns, much like Rice. He averaged 1 touchdown every 4.9 catches to Rice's 1 touchdown every 7.9 catches. I just believe it is not as clear cut as you make it sound. They are 1a and 1b as the greatest receivers of all-time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 1397
DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yardline View Post
In the 1940's and 1950's the Cleveland Browns also had a schematic advantage under Paul Brown.

In the 1980's and 1990's the 49ers had a schematic advantage under Bill Walsh, a Paul Brown disciple. Nobody could duplicate the 49ers scheme for years, and not very successfully until the mid 1990's.
The numbers produced by Walsh's West coast offense and produced by say, the Air Croyell, The Raiders' Vertical Passing, or Shula's High Octane, are quite comparable. The difference between what Lambeau and Brown, and their nearest competitor was much greater.

In 1942, when the Packers offense was at its peak, Irv Comp passed for over 2000 yards and 24 TDs, the next closest competitors passed for 1500 yards and 16 TDs, that's a third again as much as the number two guy, Sammy Baugh, a hall of fame QB. In 1995, when Rice was at his peak, the number two passer had 4,338 yards and 33 TDs. To replicate the schematic advantage that the packers enjoyed, we'd be talking about passing for 5,784 yards and 44 TDs. The 49ers QBs didn't come anywhere near that level of production, in fact, Steve Young failed to crack the top ten in either catagory in 1995. Walsh's teams never came anywhere near the disparity of ability that Lambeau enjoyed.

Quote:
Again, I am not taking anything away from Rice, I loved the guy. In my opinion, Hutson was on par with him. He could go deep for touchdowns, and could take crossing routes or slants for touchdowns, much like Rice. He averaged 1 touchdown every 4.9 catches to Rice's 1 touchdown every 7.9 catches. I just believe it is not as clear cut as you make it sound. They are 1a and 1b as the greatest receivers of all-time.
You're pulling out isolated statistics here and there to support your argument, however, the overwhelming amount of evidence supports Rice. He's had more yards, more TDs, more Catches, more championships, more pro bowls, more all pro nominations, proved himself against more advanced defenses, against better athletes, and in varied schemes.

Quote:
Brett Favre has all of the passing records, but I don't think he is the greatest quarterback of all-time. I don't even have him in my top 5 all-time. So you can't just go off of stats alone.
Why not? He has all the records, he has a championship, he has more MVP awards than any player in history. I think your top five is very skewed if you do not include Favre.

Quote:
Rice played a ton of seasons, and Hutson played 11 years and only 10-11 game seasons, most of them 10 games. Also, Hirsch did not even start playing until the year after Hutson retired. The same can be said of Lavelli. Plus they played in longer seasons and were part of the first passing age. So it is really unfair to compare their numbers, and they still are not as good as Hutson's even with your formula above.
Hirsch started playing 12 years after Hutson. Randy Moss started playing 13 years after Rice.

Quote:
I think it is important not to forget the players that laid the way (making almost nothing) for the players that play the game today.
Just because you were the first to do something doesn't mean you were the best. Bill George is not the greatest Middle Linebacker ever, he's not even in the conversation for best mike in Bears history.
__________________

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
20yardline
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
Why not? He has all the records, he has a championship, he has more MVP awards than any player in history. I think your top five is very skewed if you do not include Favre.
Because in the tight moments of games, he makes big mistakes about as often as he makes big plays. I do have him in my top 10. I love his toughness and his competitiveness, and he is extremely fun to watch, but he isn't in my top 5. In fact, of current NFL quarterbacks that are not on my favorite team, he is my favorite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bolingbrook, Illinois
Posts: 2,932
Reputation: 2310
Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Hutson is the most important WR to ever play. He evolved the game more than any other receiver. Jerry Rice is the best WR to ever play.
__________________
I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM    (permalink
adamprez2003
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 339
Reputation: 1022
adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.adamprez2003 is a cocksman.
Default

Hutson and Allworth ahead of Rice in my book
__________________


Eeez Ezpecially Delicious
adamprez2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
NFLCommander
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 80
Reputation: 325
NFLCommander hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.NFLCommander hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

There is no way you can say anyone is better than Jerry Rice, especially some guy who played during the leather helmet era of football. I love everyone who likes to compare player decades apart because you can't do it. Players back in the day wouldn't even make most high school football teams today, they were so small and the game was so primitive.

Jerry Rice is also the only real clear cut best player at his position in this great sport. I can't see anyone playing now being able to reach over 22,000 receiving yards. I can maybe see someone getting over 1,500 catches or 200 receiving TD's but not 22,000 yards. Jerry Rice dominated for so long it's hard to really appreciate what he did season by season. I thought the man was indestructible until he finally got injured in 1997. The man made one handed catches look like breathing and even made Steve Young look good (look at what he did before the 49ers).

I'm still astounded that anyone has the nuts or is just plain ignorant enough to even fathom that Jerry Rice isn't the greatest WR to ever step on an NFL field.
NFLCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,261
Reputation: 496749
YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLCommander View Post
Steve Young look good (look at what he did before the 49ers).
College: Senior Season 3900 yards, 33 TDs, 71.3 % Completion(NCAA single season record), 11-1 with a Holiday Bowl win over Missouri. Finished 2nd in Heisman voting. After 3 seasons, 592 pass completions for 7,733 yards and 56 touchdowns, along with 1,048 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground. 2001, enshrined into the College Football Hall of Fame.

USFL: Led the LA Express to playoffs. First pro football player to throw for 300 and run for 100 yards in a single game.

NFL: First supplemental selection to the Tampa Bay YUCKS! With no talent around him whatsoever.
__________________


YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Back to back to back winning seasons ftw
Posts: 6,974
Reputation: 64327
d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I dont want to do it, but I remember stats being posted up comparing Rice to the other WRs of his era and Hutson to the other WRs of his era. Hutson was pretty damn dominant. Does anyone have those stats?

Its alot closer than you guys are making it out to be. I am sure many of you dont know about Hutson enough to make a decisions.

I would say they were both equally dominant in the eras they played in. You cannot compare stats to each other because of the difference in eras. You can however compare how each did against his competition. Hutson blew away competition, just like Rice did.
__________________

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 1,116
Reputation: 1397
DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I dont want to do it, but I remember stats being posted up comparing Rice to the other WRs of his era and Hutson to the other WRs of his era. Hutson was pretty damn dominant. Does anyone have those stats?

Its alot closer than you guys are making it out to be. I am sure many of you dont know about Hutson enough to make a decisions.

I would say they were both equally dominant in the eras they played in. You cannot compare stats to each other because of the difference in eras. You can however compare how each did against his competition. Hutson blew away competition, just like Rice did.
Among Rice's contemporaries are players like Cris Carter, Randy Moss, and Marvin Harrison.

Among Hutson's contemporaries are players like Dante Lavelli, Pete Pihos, and Elroy Hirsch.

Of those players in Rice's era, Cris Carter had the most TDs, at 130, or 65% of Rice's 197. Tim Brown had the most yards, 14,934, or 65% of Rice's 22,895.

Of the players in Hutson's era, Dante Lavelli had the most TDs, at 62, or 63% of Hutson's 99. Elroy Hirsch had the most yards, 7,029, or 88% of Hutson's 7,991.

In terms of yardage, Rice had nearly as many yards more than his nearest competitor, 7,961, than Hutson had period. And Rice did it in multiple schemes, with multiple QBs, and many different coaches.
__________________

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 860
Reputation: 22363
Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I don't pretend to have been watching Hutson play but:

Hutson was coo, but if you want to say he's better than Jerry Rice, then I want to say you're a moron.
__________________

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,522
Reputation: 55649
The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
I don't pretend to have been watching Hutson play but:
Hutson was coo, but if you want to say he's better than Jerry Rice, then I want to say you're a moron.
Ya, i never saw him either, so i can't make a real arguement other than statistics, and hearsay
__________________


Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.