Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-14-2010, 10:40 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Perry Fewell, New DC

Just found out on ESPN. Former Buffalo Bills DC and interim HC Perry Fewell has been made the new Giants DC. Thought you guys would be interested.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I hope he doesn't expect to run the same D as Buffalo

Edit: article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4825410
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like this. Doesn't he only run a Cover 2 base defense?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he is that bad of a pick up he will have alot better talent to work with the G-Men.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm furious right now. Livid. Every word for pissed off you can think of.

This is terrible. I hate Cover 2. I despise Cover 2. This was a horrible hire. It doesn't fit our team at all. If this doesn't work, Coughlin should get fired next year.

I don't even want to talk about defense until after next year is over. I'm disgusted right now. I just hope our offense can carry us. I'm sick to my stomach right now.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

This is terrible. I hate Cover 2. I despise Cover 2. This was a horrible hire. It doesn't fit our team at all. If this doesn't work, Coughlin should get fired next year.

I don't even want to talk about defense until after next year is over. I'm disgusted right now. I just hope our offense can carry us. I'm sick to my stomach right now.
Relax, heh. I'm not thrilled about it but I'm going to give him a chance and see what he can do. Plus I thought a lot of the Bills players really liked him? Or am I mistaken there?

Either way I'm taking the wait and see approach. Like Jughead said, he's not a Tampa 2 guy by any means.

I'm curious to know his philosophy on blitzing and his pressure schemes.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Haqhahahah I am very skeptical of this hire too! But i know how much YOU would hate this hire! Haha

Remember these words ..

Collison
Funnel
Sink

: P
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our 2 best corners are both physical man to man guys and yet we hire Fewell. He better change his ways.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He won't. They never do. As a coordinator, you can't just change your ways, you do what you like doing and thats that.

We've been down this road with Sheridan. You can't ask a guy to run another guy's system. They're gonna run what they like. Bc thats what they know.

Our defense is going to suck next year.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well your DBs should have a lot of picks now. And you will be drafting 8 DBs a year now too.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Why do we insist on hiring guys that go against our personnel? Makes 0 sense.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Guys you are overreacting to the Cover 2 thing.

We are not running the scheme that Tampa or Indy runs. There will be elements of that scheme implemented but if you watch what we did under Spags, we ran some cover 2 every week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post

We are not running the scheme that Tampa or Indy runs. There will be elements of that scheme implemented but if you watch what we did under Spags, we ran some cover 2 every week.
How could you possibly know this? We have to look at the track record of Fewell and he runs the system that Lovie Smith ran. There will be some man obviously but the majority will be that zone. If he changes great but I just don't see it.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
How could you possibly know this? We have to look at the track record of Fewell and he runs the system that Lovie Smith ran. There will be some man obviously but the majority will be that zone. If he changes great but I just don't see it.
I've watched the Bills plenty over the past two years and I assure you, they are not your typical Cover 2 defense. He switches it up as much as Spags did. A lot of it depends on personnel, and the Bills have tweaked their defensive personnel over the past couple of years and it was evident that Fewell played to the players strengths. I've seen them plenty of schemes and thats why I feel this is a good hire. The Giants defensive personnel is diverse and it gives a lot of options. 2 things that are for certain with Fewell is that he won't be predictable and he won't be simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I've watched the Bills plenty over the past two years and I assure you, they are not your typical Cover 2 defense. He switches it up as much as Spags did. A lot of it depends on personnel, and the Bills have tweaked their defensive personnel over the past couple of years and it was evident that Fewell played to the players strengths. I've seen them plenty of schemes and thats why I feel this is a good hire. The Giants defensive personnel is diverse and it gives a lot of options. 2 things that are for certain with Fewell is that he won't be predictable and he won't be simple.
I hope this is the case, believe me I really do.

I just don't trust it right now.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.
I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.
Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.
I only mention because as has been mentioned our players have struggled to bond with booth guys before, although Pewell has a great relationship with his guys in buffalo so hopefully that won't ever be a problem.

As for his style I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a Tampa 2 guy, yes he's run that for lovie and jauron to a degree, but he definitely mixed his coverages plenty and brought pressure. The key though is he adapts to his talent which with our pass rushers should mean an even more aggressive scheme.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Of course I'm going to give him a chance but on first glance I don't like it. Isn't he a booth guy also which as we know our players have a problem with?

sig by BoneKrusher
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I won't believe it until I see the product on the field. We've all heard Sheridan say this and that, and when the time came to step up to the plate, did something different.

So even when Fewell says all the right things at his press conference, I won't care. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not expecting to be pleased, thats all I know right now.
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Of course I'm going to give him a chance but on first glance I don't like it. Isn't he a booth guy also which as we know our players have a problem with?
Like I said I'm not a huge fan and think their were a couple better choices out there that fit our style of defense, but I don't think it's the worst signing we could have made.

I know a lot of Giants fans were thinking pie in the sky with Fox but that was never happening and I don't really see that many options for us at DC. Especially if we exclude guys who have no experience at DC.

I just want to hear his philosophy and what he intends to do with our defense before I start freaking out about it. He might have some interesting new twists with our personnel or something.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Like I said I'm not a huge fan and think their were a couple better choices out there that fit our style of defense, but I don't think it's the worst signing we could have made.

I know a lot of Giants fans were thinking pie in the sky with Fox but that was never happening and I don't really see that many options for us at DC. Especially if we exclude guys who have no experience at DC.

I just want to hear his philosophy and what he intends to do with our defense before I start freaking out about it. He might have some interesting new twists with our personnel or something.
Admittedley I had no idea who we should have hired for DC but Fewell would have been on the lower end of that list. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say. We'll also get a clue of the direction he might want to go in when the draft rolls around.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

this article makes me feel a lot better about the hire, but i'm still a little unsure about it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6949436.story

If what that article says is true, then this is a great hire. But if its just fluff to hype up a guy, then its not.