Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2012 Jets Draft Discussion

May as well start the talk early, right? Lots of uncertainty moving forward, I could see targeting any number of positions early in the draft depending on what happens with free agents. Getting a pass rusher will hopefully be a priority. Safety is a question mark but I'm not sure how much they'll focus on that, should be interesting there. Obviously big free agents at wide receiver and corner so it really depends on who gets re-signed. Then there's some uncertainty on the OL moving forward with Slauson and Ducasse and if things don't work out well clearly Sanchez has to be protected. Other than that maybe a blocking TE, depth at ILB, can't ever hurt to go DL but that's looking good...it'll be interesting to see what happens. What are your guys' thoughts on 2012?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As of right now, I think OLB and S have to be our two biggest needs going into next years draft. I say that because I don't think free agency is going to solve either position.

Blitzing 7 guys is eventually going to burn us. It's time to address OLB. If this means we'll have to trade up, then we have to do it. At least the pass rushing class looks good.

Saftey, I would say is our 2nd biggest need. A ballhawk would do wonders for this defense. Hell, we could even upgrade Leonhard.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:45 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
As of right now, I think OLB and S have to be our two biggest needs going into next years draft. I say that because I don't think free agency is going to solve either position.

Blitzing 7 guys is eventually going to burn us. It's time to address OLB. If this means we'll have to trade up, then we have to do it. At least the pass rushing class looks good.

Saftey, I would say is our 2nd biggest need. A ballhawk would do wonders for this defense. Hell, we could even upgrade Leonhard.
I think Leonhard may be a FA after the upcoming season as well - if memory serves he signed a 3 year deal. The one thing about safety is that it may be a play where perhaps a good but not elite talent could do really good things, with how good the defense could be around the safeties it's almost a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

That said if an absolute stud safety is available and there's no options at pass rusher I wouldn't mind going in that direction early. Very curious about how Kyle Wilson plays, who potentially steps up as a third corner depending on who gets re-signed there, and how the passing game is as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott has us taking OLB Brandon Jenkins from Florida State in his first 2012 mock draft. On August 31, that looks like a really good pick. I don't think our pass rush is going to get any better this season so we very well may take an OLB come April.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

OLB, S, G, RT all look like pretty big needs now.

WR is a possibility with Mason and Plax on the roster.

RB and NT are other positions we could look at.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Eric Smith is terrible. I want Brodney Pool starting again, but another safety is definitely a big need. If it was a premium position I think it would be the top need on the team by far. Safety play has been atrocious. The pass rush is bad too, but they've been more or less getting away with manufacturing that for awhile. I'd definitely be fine with taking an OLB, but one way or another Smith has to go I think.

Really the defense isn't that much of a problem, it's the offense that loses games, which is why OL is probably what I'd like to see addressed most. With good line play the passing game improves and hopefully they can plug and chug some mid-round RB's and get good production.

Definitely think WR could get a look as well, but veteran may be the better move with all of the other needs on the team. Unless the team completely tanks and ends up in the top 10 (which is certainly a possibility) I think a need at another spot can be better filled in terms of value, and even so in the top 10 OLB is a good option. You're not getting an elite talent at WR outside of that range anyway though, and they take time to develop too. I'd rather bring a solid possession type #2 as a veteran and let Kerley grow into the #3 role, particularly since Keller is basically a rocked up WR anyway and pretty much Sanchez's favorite target.

I'd be for an elite RB to an extent, but with the line play being an issue I'd rather fix that first and hope an average talent can put up big numbers behind the improved OL. As far as NT goes, I think Ellis is probably the NT of the future, so not sure I'd go in that direction early. I know they like MTV too. A jumbo athletic guy who can move around on the line a little would be cool, but honestly is probably a luxury pick. I think right now Wilkerson-Pouha-DeVito and down the road Wilkerson-Ellis-DeVito is fine for the three starting defensive linemen. DeVito's still just 27 and has been very, very good at stopping the run, he was elite last year. Another DL would be cool, but I think all of the other positions fill more of an immediate need and more of a long-term need. Granted RB and S aren't that valued in terms of draft position, but OLB and OL certainly are (though I guess you could argue RT and LG aren't).

All I know is based on the way the line's playing, if they could grab a guard or a tackle in the first round and another in the second, it would go a long way towards helping this team. Any first round guard basically has a shot to be elite, and a first round right tackle is pretty much elite for a RT as well. Second rounders at those spots should be really good players as well. Then hopefully the offensive line is set besides an eventual replacement for Moore, don't have to worry about Sanchez getting destroyed in the pocket and hopefully the run game gets moving again. Think that would make the biggest impact on the team, even if one of them gets picked in the third round or something. Spend other picks on a safety and another body at RB, then work on depth elsewhere, maybe a NT or a project OLB or CB. Even a blocking tight end. But shore up the offensive line, and find somebody who can cover from the safety spot. Anything else is gravy. And I'd make an exception for a legitimate potential 10 sack a year guy, but would like to see OL drafted in the next 2 rounds. If Ducasse ever ends up being a player Moore will probably be gone by then so he can be his successor, no interest in waiting around for him to fill the LG or RT slots. We've been spoiled by good line play, and I want it back.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I completely disagree with most of this. Here's our first round pick: NT
Pouha will be a free agent next year and has been awful, our run defense needs immediate attention and I just don't see anyone that would fit our scheme well coming out of free agency, so the Jets draft Ta'amu, Worthy, or Chapman round 1. Most rankings I've seen show either Curry or Taylor being available round 2 for the Jets so they can draft a pass rushing 4-3 DE and convert them to 3-4 OLB, since Bryan Thomas is also in his contract year. I really don't understand why you would think safety would be a need, but even if it is, there aren't any 1st round worthy safeties this year, they MIGHT draft one later in the draft, but certainly not 1st or 2nd round, they'd sign a free agent safety before they reached for one early in the draft. I also am fairly certain they will resign Leonhard, they better, I have his authentic jersey. LG and RT are also needs but I'd rather they fill those with free agency.

Here's how I have the Jets 2012 draft going:

1. NT (Ta'amu, Worthy, Chapman)
2. OLB (Curry or Taylor)
3. LG or RT (assuming they'll sign free agent for 1 and draft the other)
4. HB or WR (depending on what happens with Mason, Burress, and Tomlinson)
5. DB (Strickland and Pool's contracts are up, so I imagine a DB will be drafted at some point)
6. LG or RT (whichever one wasn't drafted 3rd round)
7. WR

PS- Forgot to address the "but they drafted Kenrick Ellis round 3 last year!" it was hardly a 3rd round pick, it was pick 94 so basically he was a 4th round pick, and also he lost his spot in the depth chart to an undrafted free agent (Dixon) and hasn't played a down yet. Dixon is more of a pass rushing DT and undersized for the Jets I see him becoming a backup DE at some point.

Last edited by Robcards : 10-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Robcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Eric Smith is awful. That's why we need a saftey. I agree that there probably isn't a saftey worth taking in the first round as of right now, but it's a position we could look at in the second.

As for NT, we took Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd round. I think we have to see him play before we spend another hig pick on the d-line. And it's no secret that Eliis was a developmental guy. If it wasn't for his character concerns, he would have went higher.

We passed on OLB the last few years because there wasn't anybody worth taking in the late 1st the last couple years. If the Jets are in position to draft somebody they like, they'll draft him. Thomas is in his last year of his contract and Pace has not proven to be a "#1" type passrusher. Pace is a good player but we would be better off if we had somebody better than him playing on the other side of the D.

We need some help on the O-line. Slauson and Hunter are better suited as backups. Ducasse just sucks and I never expect him to do anything in this league. Brandon Moore is aging.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The thing about drafts is they have to be way more flexible than you're making it out to be. No team goes into a draft saying we're going to address position A in round one, B in round 2, C in round 3, etc.

And I do agree NT is potentially a need, I have no problem with taking a defensive lineman. However, everybody knew Ellis would be a project as 'Canes said, and they were a big fan of his I think they had him as one of the top 40 players in the draft. It's very early at this point in his career to say a NT needs to be drafted to start next year, especially because it's such a difficult position to play as a young player so who knows how another rookie will step in and play. If by the end of the season he has been completely unable to get onto the field or plays and is awful, then that certainly changes things. Right now, I think it could go either way. I'd also like to throw out there that (at least I think) a lot of the run defense issues have been containing runs to the outside, which points to OLB and DE play a little more than NT.

I'd be fine with signing offensive linemen too, but drafting a couple of big bodies worked well a few years ago and I think would go well again. One way or another it needs to be addressed. Obviously free agents would be nice at every single position and the team could just go into the draft and pick BPA, but who knows what happens in free agency so I'm just talking about general team needs. If two legitimate linemen are brought in and there's no need to draft that position, great. If not, I think it's something that needs to be addressed, and preferably early.

I also said safety needed to be addressed and Eric Smith needed to go, never that one should be drafted in the first round. In fact, I alluded to the fact that one should be drafted in the third round or later (and again, that's assuming one isn't signed as a FA). If you don't think safety's a need at all I don't really know what to say, I definitely disagree. Smith kills the team in pass coverage, and one way or another it would be good for him to get replaced.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Robcards is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree about drafting an OLB, but with Curry and Taylor currently ranked in the 50s-60s, and you can get one of those 2 in the 2nd, I really don't see them drafting OLB round 1, especially since the Jets typically take 4-3 DE's and convert them to OLB so the only round 1 guy that would fit would be Jenkins, who IMO wouldn't be much better than Taylor or Curry. If we got Worthy round 1 and Taylor round 2 I would be ecstatic and so should you guys lol

Anyway, back to the safety thing, seems like a position Rex would want a veteran at over drafting a mediocre one in the 2012 draft. Personally, I don't think Eric Smith is "awful" as you put it. NT and OLB definitely need more immediate attention than FS. If we let Leonhard go however, which as I already stated would shock me greatly, that's a whole different story although if they did let him go it would most likely mean they really like Cook, rookie from S CAR.

Also don't think you can really blame the run d on the DEs, maybe the OLBs but then why suggest getting a pass rushing OLB? Wilkerson and Devito have been solid IMO, it's Pouha and our depth at LB that needs help.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

First forum mock of the season (Derza and I)
Round 1 (19)- Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
Round 2 (47)- Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina
Round 3 (81)- Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
Round 4 (112)- Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State

I love the way our draft turned out. Alshon was a great value at 19 and he has all of the potential to be a true #1 WR in the league. Ingram was a great value in the second who would start opposite of Pace. Lucas Nix was a nice find in the 3rd who could be a day 1 starter replacing Slauson. And in the 4th, we went with Leonard Johnson. He was sensational while covering Justin Blackmon and we all know how much Rex loves his defensive backs.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM    (permalink
jetsfan46
Rookie

jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.jetsfan46 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Potential solutions

I see that the needs for the Jets include (prioritized from highest to lowest):

1. Right Tackle: Wayne Hunter has allowed more sacks in 15 games than Damien Woody allowed in two seasons. With a quarterback who will get sacked due to stupid decisions it does not help when you have someone who is not capable of stopping the opponents pass rush. Free Agency is an easy option to consider, options include Max Starks, Flozell Adams, Levi Brown, and former Jet Kareem McKenzie.

2. Safety: Brodney Pool is a very good backup (Bradshaw of the Giants made him look ridiculous) but Jim Leonhard (the best starting safety the Jets have) is always getting injured and Eric Smith is really the worst safety starter in the NFL (suited for the practice squad). Mark Barron could be an option in the draft or the Jets could try to get Reggie Nelson from the Bengals. Despite these two options the Jets may want to consider trying to pry Adrian Wilson from Arizona. The Jets need someone who can stop the TE position and no one on the Jets at the safety position has been capable of stopping the tightends (i.e. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Celek, etc.). They might need two if they can't come to terms with Leonhard.

3. Quarterback: Say what you like about Sanchez but the numbers show he makes more mistakes than any successful quarterback in the league ever made in his first three years. All his wins in the playoffs were based on game managing and not carrying the team (which he proved he couldn't do throughout this season). Rated 28th in Total Quarterback Rating according to ESPN, he is without a doubt a disappointment thus far. He is also statistically the worst quarterback in the NFL when throwing for 15+ yards on a throw (actually he is performing worse in that category compared to last year) and has turned the ball over more frequently this year than last (fumbles and interceptions combined). The Jets should consider trading him if they can get Manning or the option to trade up to the top pick. Most likely neither option will be available so the Jets should at least sign a decent backup such as David Garrard (who is recovering from an injury this year) or Vince Young (a Probowler who just needs stability to figure out the plays and where to throw). I personally would love the Jets to trade Mark Sanchez but obviously they won't unless they can get a far superior replacement. People are naive enough to think an undersized and unintelligent quarterback can perform well as long as he can throw the ball far enough.

4. Right Outside Linebacker: This is a weakness in that Brian Thomas is not fast enough for the position and no one on the Jets is except one dimensional pass rusher Aaron Maybin. Consequently, the Jets need to get somebody that can cover and blitz. An option to consider could be drafting Zach Brown out of UNC in the 2nd or 3rd round. He is a big, strong, and fast linebacker and the only knock is people question his motor (don't worry he's not scared like Vernon Gholston). Other options include going after Manny Lawson in free agency (who is big fast strong and smart). Manny might be a perfect solution since he played defensive end at NC State and is familiar with the 3-4 due to this time with the 49ers. Drafting anybody in the first round at this position is a reach. No one really looks to be worth it and a couple of guys will be drafted way above their level of play. An outside option is the Jets can try to put a larger price on Mario Williams of the Texans (the Texans have less cap space than the Jets at the moment and will still have trouble finding some when Williams becomes a free agent but they most likely will be able to franchise Williams).

5. Halfback: Lets face it LT is getting really old for the position and Shonn Greene can't catch, so why expect Greene to fill that role of multidimensional back. Instead the Jets should look at drafting somebody at that position. The Sporting News has Trent Richardson dropping to #19 where the Jets would take him and I believe it is possible this could occur. If you look at what happened to Mark Ingram (who is maybe slightly worse than Richardson) one can see that it is possible for halfbacks to drop significantly in the draft especially since the passing attack has become more important. Another option is Doug Martin out of Boise State who would make a good 3rd round pick and a steal of a 4th rounder (I wouldn't call it a reach if someone drafted him in the 2nd round). Martin has everything you look for in a back and has the potential to be better than even Probowler Ray Rice. Either Richardson or Martin would definitely help the Jets rushing attack in a three back rotation (New Guy, Greene, and McKnight).

6. Inside Linebacker: Bart Scott lacks the agility to contribute at this point for the Jets. Drafting Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State in the 1st round, Dont'a Hightower of Alabama in the 1st or 2nd round, or Audie Cole of NC State in the 4th or 5th round would be reasonable. All of these guys have the size, agility, and tenacity to compete at the next level.

7. Wide Receiver: Mike Tannenbaum (a guy who should be on the hot seat next year) really loves drafting little guys at this position. That strategy has not worked out amazingly for him. Though Kerley seems reliable he lacks the explosion one needs at the position and Plaxico Burress (who despite his size has almost no explosiveness) will most likely not return. Resigning Braylon Edwards is an option (he'll probably come cheap now that the 49ers have cut him) but the Jets should also see who else will be in the draft and free agency. Mohamed Sanu out of Rutgers and Nick Toon of Wisconsin are great options in the 2nd or 3rd round. These type of mid height top end speed guys can be very successful (i.e: Victor Cruz and Reggie Wayne).

8. Left Guard: Slauson is an okay fill in starter but the Jets should consider cutting Vlad Ducasse if he doesn't show anything in training camp and bringing in someone to compete with Slauson. Options include drafting Kelechi Osemele out of Iowa State in the 4th round or signing Carl Nicks of the Saints (probably a more expensive but safer option in that he will instantly be an upgrade over Slauson). Other free agents available should include Ben Grubbs of the Ravens and Deuce Lutui of the Cardinals.

Last edited by jetsfan46 : 12-31-2011 at 06:42 PM.
jetsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Here's a Jets draft I would be happy with:

1 (16): Courtney Upshaw - OLB - Alabama
The fit here is obvious, pass-rushing 3-4 OLB that could start week 1 and have a seamless transition to the NFL. He's the guy I really want round 1 if he's still on the board when the Jets pick. (Replaces: Bryan Thomas)

2 (48): Kelechi Osemele - LG - Iowa State

Ground and pound, baby. This pick and the next would be ideal if these big guys are available for them and will attempt to restore the Jets offensive line to what it once was. (Replaces: Matt Slauson)

3 (79): Bobby Massie - RT - Ole Miss

This guy surprised a lot of people when he declared but he didn't surprise me, he's a large run-blocking tackle and he would be a huge steal in the 3rd round for the Jets and fill the void left by Kareem McKenzie years ago. Fingers crossed on this one. (Replaces: Wayne Hunter)

4 (111): Alameda Ta'amu - NT - Washington

I'm not sure why his stock has dropped since the start of the year but he's a mountain of a man and exactly the help the Jets need on the front to stop the run with Pouha being old and in his contract year. Was a late 1st-2nd rounder at the start of the season, projected 4th round now, anyone know why? He looks good at Senior Bowl practice! (Replaces: Sione Pouha)

5 (143): Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M OR Marvin McNutt - WR - Iowa
The WR class this year looks weak at the top (i.e. no Julio Jones and A.J. Green really, Blackmon and Floyd are not as good) but the depth at the position is what I like. Jarius Wright is projected for round 3-4 and would be a huge steal I think if he's on the board round 4, but I'm going to assume he isn't and the value with the round 5 pick here is tremendous. Either McNutt or Fuller would fill the role well. (Replaces: Plaxico Burress)

6 (175): Chris Rainey - HB - Florida
The FA market should have some good power backs if the Jets decide to go a different direction than Shonn Greene, but let's assume they give him another year with an improved offensive line, they still need to fill the impending hole left by LT who I assume will retire or go elsewhere. Chris Rainey is the fastest RB in the class and considering his stock is this low because he is not an every-down back, he's a great pick at round 6. (Replaces: Ladanian Tomlinson)

7 (207): Damien Jackson - S - Ole Miss
I'd be surprised if one of the Jets picks isn't used on a defensive back, however I don't think it will be an early one. Damien Jackson is a big physical free safety and can fight for the starting job with Eric Smith. (Replaces: Brodney Pool)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan46 View Post
6. Inside Linebacker: Bart Scott lacks the agility to contribute at this point for the Jets. Drafting Vontaze Burfict of Arizona State in the 1st round, Dont'a Hightower of Alabama in the 1st or 2nd round, or Audie Cole of NC State in the 4th or 5th round would be reasonable. All of these guys have the size, agility, and tenacity to compete at the next level.
Bart Scott still has another year (I hope), I like waiting until 2013 when the Jets can nab Manti Te'o =)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I think I want either Michael Floyd or Melvin Ingram in the first round. I might be disappointed with anybody else.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I think I want either Michael Floyd or Melvin Ingram in the first round. I might be disappointed with anybody else.
I get this feeling that Ingram will be a huge bust, id rather have upshaw or mercilus, ideally trading back and getting branch and more picks. Floyd would be good value at 16 i like him more than Blackmon.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Agreed, at least as far as at 16 goes. I could dig Trent Richardson as well if he falls, but that seems extremely unlikely. And there are other guys I'd be happy with in a trade down, but don't really like their value at 16.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR in the first round is more plausible. Not OL or OLB. I am not sold on pass rushing OLB for first round for right price. 16th is too high for taking OL this time.

I think Jets will after either of those following WRs.

Rueben Randle
Kendall Wright
Michael Floyd
Ashton Jeffery
Justin Blackmon

I like Marvin Jones or AJ Jenkins for after 1st round but due to a lack of right value in pass rushing OLB, I can see Jets try for Andre Branch, Shea McLellan or Jacquies Smith for 2nd-5th round pick.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
I get this feeling that Ingram will be a huge bust, id rather have upshaw or mercilus, ideally trading back and getting branch and more picks. Floyd would be good value at 16 i like him more than Blackmon.
I don't like Upshaw or Mercilus honestly, though Branch in a trade back would be nice. Upshaw is just a poor athlete and I'm not sure he's got what it takes to be a legitimate NFL pass rusher, and Mercilus seems stiff to me and I just didn't really like what I saw when I watched him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
WR in the first round is more plausible. Not OL or OLB. I am not sold on pass rushing OLB for first round for right price. 16th is too high for taking OL this time.

I think Jets will after either of those following WRs.

Rueben Randle
Kendall Wright
Michael Floyd
Ashton Jeffery
Justin Blackmon

I like Marvin Jones or AJ Jenkins for after 1st round but due to a lack of right value in pass rushing OLB, I can see Jets try for Andre Branch, Shea McLellan or Jacquies Smith for 2nd-5th round pick.
Big fan of Marvin Jones, would be a tremendous pick in the third if he's there. Like the pass rushers you mentioned as well. I really don't like the value of OLB's in the first round either, but it seems like it's something they're considering.

As for the WR's you listed, I think they'd consider Blackmon if he's there (though that seems unlikely) and Floyd. Not sure if Wright (small, mediocre timed speed, potentially a product of the spread/Griffin) or Jeffery (work ethic concerns, mediocre tape this year) will get consideration though. Randle's a wild card, and I think Stephen Hill is as well.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont consider Wright a small WR. Compact is a right word. He has speed and quickness for sure. Simple and quick offense is a key for Sanchez to succeed a game.

I think Wright is more than just systematic spread product as Griffin often played longer and Wright ran several alternative routes. Wright is more dangerous when the play is short and clean. That is why I think Sanchez and Wright would be good partners.

Problem on Wright is Jets already have Holmes and Kerley on the roster. I am not sure about Kerley and Wright will line up at same time as far as wildcat option is concerned. Switching Sanchez with Tebow while Wright with Turner will kill some play clock and strategic exchange. I think I like a WR that can play both pro style and wildcat as I prefer fewer player changes during the game.

Jeffery is a wildcat for me because he has size and talent but he gives up too soon if a quarterback could not help the offense. Jets can't have that but Jets keep thinking Sanchez is the ONE. *cough cough hack spit* excuse me. I can see Jets are in that direction, somehow.

PO, what do you think Jets switching to 4-3? I like Nick Perry but he is better suitable for 4-3 DE. He has good size and speed to be a complete DE. Pass rushing against quarterback is a primary for Rex Ryan and I feel that Perry offers best as first round prospect. Actually, hybrid 4-3 since Jets do not have any a natural LE since Ellis departed. Jets would need an athletic with speed for OLB like Wagner or Bradham or Davis for 2nd round or 3rd round selection.

Switching to 4-3 draft:

1. Nick Perry, DE.
2. Robert Wagner, ILB/OLB.
3. Marvin Jones, WR.

Instead of incumbent defense:

1. Rueben Randle, WR.
2. Andre Branch, OLB.
3. whoever.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Short is what I meant for Wright. You bring up the question of fit with Kerley and Holmes, which is my concern. Sanchez isn't a terribly accurate quarterback, neither is Tebow when it comes down to it, and the Jets don't have a big, rangy target on the roster. While speed would be great and I think is a major priority, I think a tall, fast WR is a better fit than a short, fast WR. And I wasn't necessarily bringing up things that I think Wright/Jeffery are, but question marks about them that I think make them less than ideal fits. Wright won't offer much as a blocker either.

That's a good point about Jeffery also (not adjusting well to bad QB play). I think the fact that he didn't stay in shape combined with his occasional struggles separating and him not really being a great deep threat (which the Jets need across from Holmes IMO, somebody who can threaten teams deep along with run blocking and being a red zone threat) is an issue too.

What exactly do you mean by all of that 4-3 stuff?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Everything would be easier if Holmes is 6 3 in height. lol. Tall and fast WR is still rare. That is why I willingly bite on taking Stephen Hill with this 16th selection. Holmes is good for 2 or 3 years as our number one. Hill and company can share roles in slot and wideout. By the time Jets dump Holmes, Hill should be ready to be our big number one.

About 4-3, Ryan wants a blue chip pass rusher but none of potential OLB stand out. Ingram is a safe pick but he wont dominate a game. What Jets need is a dominating pass rusher that actually sack a freaking quarterback regularly. So far, I can see one first round prospect that fits that mold and it is Nick Perry.

My question for Jets is will Jets pass on Perry for raw or questionable OLB somewhere in the draft? or Jets just need a qb sack machine on the team disregard of what defense formation?

Nick Perry made it clear that he prefers 4-3 DE. Ryan Kerrigan said the same thing. Who knows. If Jets actually draft Perry then Scott and Harris wont be able to cover bigger area with Perry plays tighter at LOS.

Ryan did try Gholston as DE so I can see Ryan wont have a problem with hybrid 4-3 as long as harassing quarterback works. Unfortunately, in Ryan's career as DC and HC, he never has at least ONE player with 10 sacks a season.

If Ryan sticks with 3-4 OLB then Jets wont have a sack monster on the roster. Prematurely talk, of course. I am not sure if it is a major problem for popularity belief. I am fine with average rush defense team as long as they don't give up too many points.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Need a complete overhaul to switch to a 4-3 I think David Harris and Muhammed Wilkerson are the only starters that would be good in a 4-3. Pouha and Devito are 2gap run stuffers with little pass rush ability, Pace wouldnt make a good 4-3 de, and i doubt bart scott would adjust to the 4-3 well either. Believe me I would love the Jets to switch to 4-3 but we just dont have the personnel for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcards View Post
Need a complete overhaul to switch to a 4-3 I think David Harris and Muhammed Wilkerson are the only starters that would be good in a 4-3. Pouha and Devito are 2gap run stuffers with little pass rush ability, Pace wouldnt make a good 4-3 de, and i doubt bart scott would adjust to the 4-3 well either. Believe me I would love the Jets to switch to 4-3 but we just dont have the personnel for it.

That is why I am thinking about a hybrid defense instead of base defense. Dixon and Pito would play LE temporarily. Pace will share roles with Dixon at strongside end and Perry at weakside end. Jets would draft one or two athletic OLB. Only Scott that would be left out during the transformation. Not difficult to get it done but 3 rookies for front 7 is kind of risky if Jets continue talking about Super Bowl craps.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Robcards
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post

Ryan did try Gholston as DE so I can see Ryan wont have a problem with hybrid 4-3 as long as harassing quarterback works. Unfortunately, in Ryan's career as DC and HC, he never has at least ONE player with 10 sacks a season.

That cant be accurate, Suggs never got more than 10 sacks with Ryan as DC?

Ok all of Suggs 10+ sack years were when Ryan wasnt DC, but Adalius Thomas got 11 in 2006 with Ryan as DC.

Last edited by Robcards : 04-04-2012 at 07:08 AM.