Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
frisby213
Rookie

frisby213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default My prediction for David Carr

He's going to be the next Rich Gannon. Gannon spent the first seven years of his career failing, being cut, and being a nobody. Granted, David Carr had a lot more hype coming into the league and was picked much higher, but so far it appears to me like Carr's potential has just not been realized and it'll take one good coach and team duo to help Carr succeed at his natural limit.

For Gannon, it was Gruden and the Raiders. For Carr, who knows, but seeing him play twice a year for his whole career (I'm a Colts fan so I see him play as much or more than anyone not in Houston) I'm convinced that he was not the problem, the rest of the system was. If I had 1.8 seconds to throw the ball because my line couldn't hold a High School juvie squad, I wouldn't be putting up great numbers and lots of victories either. Not to mention who was on that offense to help besides Andre Johnson?

I think in a few years we'll be seeing Carr in a Pro Bowl or two, probably leading an NFC team to some moderate success. If not, well, I guess I was wrong.
frisby213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
BLACKnGOLD
Veteran

BLACKnGOLD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Carr and Gannon are completely differentn scenarios. Gannon was good because he was cerebral and accurate, and had good instincts despite average physical skills. Carr has superb physical skills, but he has no anticipation skills and has made little progress in reading defenses.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnGOLD View Post
I think Carr and Gannon are completely differentn scenarios. Gannon was good because he was cerebral and accurate, and had good instincts despite average physical skills. Carr has superb physical skills, but he has no anticipation skills and has made little progress in reading defenses.
Patrick Ramsey syndrome
Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He wasnt comparing them by skills, he was saying they could have similar careers

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
TIMCOUCHSUPERBOWLBROWNS

Quote:
Carr has superb physical skills, but he has no anticipation skills and has made little progress in reading defenses.
Let's see anyone trying to develop anticipation skills behind the sieve the texans called their offensive line.

Last edited by TIMCOUCHSUPERBOWLBROWNS : 03-31-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hm...it's weird that some of the Colts fans think that Carr wasn't the problem...yet the Jags, Titans, and Texans fans think that he was.

I dunno. From what I saw of Carr, the only team he every played well against was the Jags.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Hm...it's weird that some of the Colts fans think that Carr wasn't the problem...yet the Jags, Titans, and Texans fans think that he was.

I dunno. From what I saw of Carr, the only team he every played well against was the Jags.
I use to think that the offensive line was the problem, so this year i hear Texans saying Carr is the problem which was pretty normal to hear, and this year i started to watch him a little bit more and must say....As the line improved, his release still was the same old slow release and just hung on to the ball WAY to long.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjs View Post
I use to think that the offensive line was the problem, so this year i hear Texans saying Carr is the problem which was pretty normal to hear, and this year i started to watch him a little bit more and must say....As the line improved, his release still was the same old slow release and just hung on to the ball WAY to long.
I don't think he has a slow release, I actually think his release is pretty quick. But over the years, it seems like his release point is getting lower. There are times when he throws almost completely sidearm.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
I don't think he has a slow release, I actually think his release is pretty quick. But over the years, it seems like his release point is getting lower. There are times when he throws almost completely sidearm.
It not as much as a slow release, but it is the fact that when he sits in the pocket and he isn't forcing the ball to someone and just gets sacked way to often.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
This is pretty accurate. Carr can get it out fast when he tries to. His problem is that he doesn't see the open guy. Or if he does, he second guesses his decision and then looks elsewhere. By that time he's sacked. He's gun shy, pretty much afraid to take chances cause in the past receivers would drop it or theyd miraculously knock it into the arms of a defender. On the deep ball, the defender always positioned himself better than his wideout, except for Dre on some occasions, which is why everything went his way. I think Mike Holmgren would be a great coach for him, but I'd rather see him in Carolina because, well I like them better. Some one has got to get him some confidence and a better throwing motion.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If my team had a good O-Line and was in need of a quarterback, I'd be pulling hard for David Carr.

I just can't help but think that he didn't get a fair shot. Same way I felt about Tim Couch.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
If my team had a good O-Line and was in need of a quarterback, I'd be pulling hard for David Carr.

I just can't help but think that he didn't get a fair shot. Same way I felt about Tim Couch.
Tim Couch should have never been drafted in the first round. He put up huge numbers in a gimmick offense, and never learned how to read a defense properly. He had above average mobility, but an average arm.

Seriously. How the hell did Couch get drafted before McNabb, who was a better prospect in just about every way?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tim Couch should have never been drafted in the first round. He put up huge numbers in a gimmick offense, and never learned how to read a defense properly. He had above average mobility, but an average arm.

Seriously. How the hell did Couch get drafted before McNabb, who was a better prospect in just about every way?
The way couch was treated in cleveland was exactly what you shouldn't do with a QB. The same is for Carr.

He wasn't given enough talent
He wasn't given enough protection
His coaches constantly altered the schemes he was in
He had coordinator changes
He had coaches changes
He never had fan support
Never been able to get 3 full years in one system without changes.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post

Yeah we don't know what he can do with a decent line

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran

lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Yeah we don't know what he can do with a decent line

Sure we do. He showed you this year.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod01 View Post
Sure we do. He showed you this year.
Exactly. Sage Rosenfels got extensive playing time against Tennessee and went 18-25 with 186 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 interception, and was not sacked once.

Against Dallas, he went 8-11 for 70 yards, 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, and, again, wasn't sacked at all.

If you watch Carr, you'll see that he simply holds on to the ball too long staring down his receivers. When he finally does decide to pass it, it's either too late and his man is covered so he has to check down to his outlet, or he gets sacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCACHAINGANG
I have always been a supporter of David Carr. He is on a team that cant back him up. I am not like some fans that think every other teams players in there division suck. I feel sorry for Carr. He is better than what is shown. He will succeeed and the Vikings is a great guess at where he will end up. I have a likeing for the Dolphins so I would hope he goes there.

*My Dad is a huge Dolphins and Saints fan*
Neither am I. In fact, the AFC South fans on this board as a whole are some of the most objective and unbiased posters on this site. And the majority of them see the same thing: David Carr sucks.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 03-27-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Neither am I. In fact, the AFC South fans on this board as a whole are some of the most objective and unbiased posters on this site.
Out of any division, I would probably agree.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
lod01
Veteran

lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lod01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. Sage Rosenfels got extensive playing time against Tennessee and went 18-25 with 186 yards, 3 touchdowns and 1 interception, and was not sacked once.

Against Dallas, he went 8-11 for 70 yards, 0 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, and, again, wasn't sacked at all.

If you watch Carr, you'll see that he simply holds on to the ball too long staring down his receivers. When he finally does decide to pass it, it's either too late and his man is covered so he has to check down to his outlet, or he gets sacked.

Neither am I. In fact, the AFC South fans on this board as a whole are some of the most objective and unbiased posters on this site. And the majority of them see the same thing: David Carr sucks.

I've tried the Sage angle but the vast majority are clueless as to the incompetance of David Carr. He really is the Teflon Don of NFL players. They want to, for some reason, to beleive that Carr is actually good when for 5 years he has been the worst. They will point to his super duper completion %. I destroy that with his dink and dunk routine. They point to his big arn to which I say: Where is it? Where are the big plays. They used to blame the WR's but then came along AJ and they had to move blame elswhere, as they have for 5 years. The dude throws like he's missing ligaments and can't stretch his arm out. I see what you see. There is no doubt in my mind that he will be a loser everywhere he goes.
lod01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he goes to the Vikings they have a pretty good line and running game I think he could be a great fit there I still believe he can be a legit starter maybe not a pro bowler but starter.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Con
Rookie

Con hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
I hope he goes to the Vikings they have a pretty good line and running game I think he could be a great fit there I still believe he can be a legit starter maybe not a pro bowler but starter.
childress already said he will not go after carr. *sigh there goes the vikings chances.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Yah I'm curious as to why the Vikes didn't go after him...they have the best OL out of QB hungry teams [how good is the Dolphins line? I didn't see them play much this past year]

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:48 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe his main problem is his intangibles, specifically his leadership. Carr just doesn't seem to inspire much confidence in his teamates and you could see that when some of the other Texans began to turn on him last year.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
RaVeNFaNaCtIc
Rookie

RaVeNFaNaCtIc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think he'd be a nice pickup in Carolina or Minnesota

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
#1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
I used to be MaddenPlayer52
RaVeNFaNaCtIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
I believe his main problem is his intangibles, specifically his leadership. Carr just doesn't seem to inspire much confidence in his teamates and you could see that when some of the other Texans began to turn on him last year.
I completely agree, he's another Joey Harrington = no intangibles. Carr will be a one and out with whoever signs him. That 1 year and out of the league.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

David Carr= Another Joey Harrington
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote