Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default SWDC Presents: A Complete List of Sports

So I checked my Twitter a few minutes ago and the first tweet I see is my friend complaining about how idiotic people are for thinking bowling isn't a sport. At first I disagreed. It's a game I enjoy, but not a sport. This led me to think of all the dumb arguments I've had throughout my life about what constitute a sport. Whether it be dance, yoga, **** somebody tried to argue marching band is a sport!
Let me first say that this is the least important argument people have based upon some weird longing of their own significance and how they're perceived by others. But hell, for the sake of argument, comprise your own list of what you see as being a "sport" and try to support the controversial inclusions.

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Swimming
Cricket
Badminton
Golf
MMA
Boxing
Wrestling(not the fake one)
Track
Rowing
Volleyball
Skiing
Dodgeball
Snowboarding
Luge
Curling
Fencing
Rugby
Bowling - I'd say its a sport, but its definitely iffy.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious.

And I'm sorry, I love NASCAR, but that's not a sport. Neither is cheerleading. Fishing is another one thats iffy, but I'll say no. Its an activity. Discuss.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My definition over the course of debating with people:

A rigorous, athletic, and physical competition with a set of rules where a team or individual wins or loses based on their points accumulated through performance and skill, not solely by the decision of a third party (so anything with judges isn't a sport, but referees and umpires are okay). And a sport must be played without an internal combustion engine.

So by my definition, bowling is a sport. A stupid sport that no one likes to watch, but definitely a sport.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post

A rigorous, athletic, and physical competition with a set of rules where a team or individual wins or loses based on their points accumulated through performance and skill, not solely by the decision of a third party (so anything with judges isn't a sport, but referees and umpires are okay). And a sport must be played without an internal combustion engine.

So by my definition, bowling is a sport. A stupid sport that no one likes to watch, but definitely a sport.
Boxing has judges, and it is definitely a sport.

A few more to add:

Speedskating
Cycling
Wiffleball
Frisbee Golf
Racquetball
TENNIS - theres the obvious one I missed
Polo
Lacrosse

Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

A few more to add:

Speedskating
Cycling
Wiffleball
Frisbee Golf
Racquetball
TENNIS - theres the obvious one I missed
Polo
Lacrosse
Uh, we Disc Golf Athletes prefer that it be called "Disc Golf".....

actually, a guy on my local disc golf course was preaching about how the idea was originally floated to the frisbee company, but they said that it was a stoopid idea & passed on it. therefore he claimed that we should not call it "frisbee".

whatever, i still just ask my buddies if they want to go play "frisbee".

And disc golf is most definately a sport.

I would like fishing to also be considered a sport, but i understand that it really is iffy at best.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Beautiful definition of Sports. I wish I was so eloquent in my post.

How I would define these:

Quote:
Football -Sport
Baseball -Sport/Game
Basketball -Sport
Hockey -Sport
Soccer-Sport
Swimming -Competition
Cricket - I don't know enough on this
Badminton - Same here
Golf -Game
MMA -Sport/Competition
Boxing -Sport/Competition
Wrestling(not the fake one) -Sport/Competition
Track -Competition
Rowing -Competition
Volleyball -Sport
Skiing -Competition
Dodgeball -Sport
Snowboarding -Competition
Luge -Competition
Curling -Game
Fencing - Not sure here either.
Rugby -Sport
Bowling -Game

NASCAR -Competition
Cheerleading -Competition
Fishing -Game or Competition maybe, I would need to talk this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

This is my definition, but I also add the clause that if it's in the Olympics, it's grandfathered in. Yes, it throws in a lot of judged sports, but I think it's fair.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
This is my definition, but I also add the clause that if it's in the Olympics, it's grandfathered in. Yes, it throws in a lot of judged sports, but I think it's fair.
I think it's weird to consider speed walking and synchronized swimming a sport but that's just me.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have had this same discussion so many times. The way I've hashed it out, there are 3 main categories with some intermingling. I think there are Sports, Games, and Competitions.

Sports

There has to be a cardiovascular element to it. Being the biggest/strongest/fastest/most in shape is a distinct advantage in sports. Often Sports have teams and winners are often decided by points or something similar. Strategy is also is a contributing factor. There almost always is a direct competitor in sports, ie team a vs team b or player x vs player b. Multiple skills are needed to successful in Sports.

Examples are: Football, Basketball, Tennis, Hockey, Soccer, Rugby.

Games

Games are less physically intensive and focus more on individual skills or a small group of skills. Some games can be very focus on mental aspects. Being the biggest/strongest/fastest doesn't completely equate to dominance in most Games. People don't have to be in top physical shape to compete in a lot of Games.

Examples of Games: Golf, Bowling, Pool, Poker, Chess.

Competitions

Competitions, like Sports, have a intrinsic cardiovascular element to them. Many Competitions are decided by judges. If the winner is picked by a judge, then it probably is a Competition. Things like dance, gymnastics, surfing, marching bands. Racing also falls under Competitions because of the often individuality of racing and the use of time as the major deciding factor.

Examples of Competitions: Dance, Surfing, Racing (either marathons, autoracing, swimming, biking, ect), Track & Field.

There are somethings that intermix like Baseball. I think it falls right between Sports and Games. It has team elements, is decided by points in a head to head context, but doesn't have a strong emphasis on cardiovascular endurance like soccer or rugby. Also Baseball is very skill-centric. A batter has a very specific set of skills to be successful, but a great hitter doesn't have to be greatly athletically gifted to be successful.

Likewise, Boxing/Fighting is on the Sport/Competition fence a little bit for me. Guys get winded and being bigger and stronger is directly connected to being successful. However a judge is still used to decide who the winner is in many cases. If I had to choose, I go Sport, but I dislike when judges decide a victor.

This is just something that I've hashed out over the years. Its not infallible and it has a lot of stuff I'm still working though. What do you guys think about this general idea of how to classify these different competitive activities? Throw up some more activities and I'll tell you where they fit into this in my mind. Its easier to work through examples to get a feel for how they fit than to try to explain it like I did.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

skee shooting.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MMA also has judges and I would certainly call it a sport but that means I have to also include Gymnastics and Ice Dancing

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's pretty simple for me... I like the actual definition of the word that was created for a reason.

I mean do you look at a duck and go "I don't like that people call that a duck so I'm calling it an antelope instead" No because that is just stupid and doesn't make sense, so why should a word like sport be any different?

A sport is "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively."

I personally draw the line at Chess/Checkers, sure there is a "physical" element to them but realistically you could play it without any physical movement if you have people to move pieces for you.

I don't see any reason to try and reinvent English as a language so that I can try and belittle a sport that someone else plays, I don't see the point of it or how it makes someone feel better about themself to try and recreate the meaning of well defined words.

So I can't say I'm a fan of niel89s idea to not just try and change the meaning of one word but instead go for 3 words but to each their own I guess...

Props to BK on the sig!

Last edited by wogitalia : 12-06-2011 at 05:14 AM.
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

stock car racing is a sport. it is physically exhausting, and a lot of the strategy behind it is having the team that is the quickest, most efficient and most skilled of others, coupled with the driver's racing abilities.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
MMA also has judges and I would certainly call it a sport but that means I have to also include Gymnastics and Ice Dancing
Fighting is tough because you can win by knockout where the judges have no say but then you can win where the judges decide. I'm not sure to go with that one or how to define it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
stock car racing is a sport. it is physically exhausting, and a lot of the strategy behind it is having the team that is the quickest, most efficient and most skilled of others, coupled with the driver's racing abilities.
I just think it's hard to call it a sport when you're driving a car. In your description you could also call giving birth a sport.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just think it's hard to call it a sport when you're driving a car. In your description you could also call giving birth a sport.
Which is why this whole thread is stupid and i'm pissed that i got sucked into it.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 AM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

In no way am I trying to belittle one activity over another. I'm just trying to classify each one with out judging the activity. I just want a clearer picture. In my classifications, I don't necessarily think that Sports are better than Games or Competitions. They each have their own merits.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

To be honest, it's just kinda dumb to try and differentiate, because you can describe most "sports" as games and competitions. So how do you make sure that one is one but not the other? It's silly. It's either a sport, or it isn't. Bowling to me is not a sport.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In no way am I trying to belittle one activity over another. I'm just trying to classify each one with out judging the activity. I just want a clearer picture. In my classifications, I don't necessarily think that Sports are better than Games or Competitions. They each have their own merits.
Fair enough, I still don't really see a point in changing the definition of words unless you have some kind reason to do so. I mean what is there to gain by trying to change the English language?

I mean I could understand if you were trying to classify different sports as individual sports or team sports, or scoring, judgement or time based sports or something like that, that would make some kind of sense. In your case I'd have thought that would make more sense, you seem to want to classify different sports moreso than belittle any particular sport but all of those you listed are sports.

Changing the meaning of established words though nearly always has some kind of ulterior motive behind it. I haven't even mentioned that both games and competitions are often components of sports, which is where changing meanings really starts to show its warts.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bowling to me is not a sport.
See that is the problem with changing the meaning of a word for your own means. That's like saying a duck to me isn't an animal. Sport is a noun, it describes a thing, it has a clear definition. Bowling is most certainly a physical activity, it is most certainly governed by a set of rules and further to that is most often engaged in competitively.

I just don't see how given a clear and concise definition such as what sport has that people can come to conclusion that something meeting all the criteria of that definition is "just not a sport".

Would love to hear your reasoning for why you think bowling shouldn't be a sport.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Do you think card playing should be a sport? There has to be a certain threshold that must be met in order to be considered a "phsyical" activity, which i see as a requirement for sports. Like card playing, there literally is physical activity required in order to bowl, but not enough to where i can say, 'geez, i'm sure that guy really needs hone his craft while maintaining top competitive phsyical form'. Like billiards, or darts. All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
John Daly. Golf is still a sport right?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
John Daly. Golf is still a sport right?
At his worst, John Daly was still more of an athlete than any bowler, ever. Daly could drive the ball further than anyone in the sport. That takes a huge amount of skill and strength. He was just so good that he could drink and gamble and still be pretty damn good.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:21 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you think card playing should be a sport? There has to be a certain threshold that must be met in order to be considered a "phsyical" activity, which i see as a requirement for sports. Like card playing, there literally is physical activity required in order to bowl, but not enough to where i can say, 'geez, i'm sure that guy really needs hone his craft while maintaining top competitive phsyical form'. Like billiards, or darts. All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
Cards is right there with Chess, you can play cards without even touching the cards, ie someone else can do it for you. That's not a physical activity.

Bowling most certainly is though, I quite like the "mouse test" if you can't do it with a mouse then it's probably a physical activity.

Quote:
At his worst, John Daly was still more of an athlete than any bowler, ever. Daly could drive the ball further than anyone in the sport. That takes a huge amount of skill and strength. He was just so good that he could drink and gamble and still be pretty damn good.
Why? How is hitting a golf ball any different to bowling a bowling ball, probably at a higher speed, with far more spin and control than others can.

That's like saying baseball isn't a sport because anyone can throw a ball or swing a bat and you are once again getting back to trying to change what "sport" actually means.

You can't apply a fat test(look at half the NFL), just like you can't apply an cardiovascular fitness test(again, half the NFL).

Quote:
All skill, minimal physical strains on the body. Any fat body can learn how to spin a bowling ball and be good.
As someone who bowled competitively as a kid, quite simply you are wrong. Like pitching, there is very little physical strain and any fat body can learn to throw. It is a physical skill, like darts or billiards. Like any other sport, you can hone your physical ability in it. If you couldn't there wouldn't be a world champion in any of those sports because average Joe sitting next to you would be your equal. There is a physical skill to bowling.

Quite simply, bowling perfectly meets the criteria of a sport and if you don't think it is a physical activity then I really don't know what to think to be honest.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

With all that Hardee's I just ate I think I might make pooping a sport.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I often engage in Boomerang throwing.

Me on the right.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote