Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-28-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Visiting Washington DC in August

I'm staying in Silver Spring, Maryland, and visiting DC this August and am just wondering if people have any general tips for the area as far as restaurants/sights to see/areas to avoid/etc

We'll be making the rounds through the traditional DC tourist attractions (Lincoln/Jefferson Memorial, White House, Arlington, etc)

Thanks, will +rep
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can't go wrong with the normal tourist attractions but I wouldn't be out really late at night.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All of the monuments, political areas, etc. are in the southwest. The northwest is the richer area and a lot of the schools and nicer clubs are there. If you go to the northwest (you should), the Adams Morgan stop on the Metro is basically entirely bars. I like Dupont Circle as well. The east side is considered the ghetto. I didn't go too far into the east side but pretty much everyone I encountered warned me against going there (the southeast is supposedly the "most" ghetto.) If you do decide to go there, I'd go during daytime in a group and slum it up with sweatpants, etc., but I don't think there's really anything you can't miss on the east side. The 9:30 Club in NW has some cool shows. There's a club called Love in the NE section which is four floors and pretty fun. The Black Cat in Northwest is cool too. I'd really suggest shopping in Georgetown. There are some excellent ethnic foods in and around DC as well. I went to American University for a little while, so let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
StickSkills
Veteran

StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StickSkills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go-Go is a DC thing. See if there is a Go-Go show in town. (Also RIP Chuck Brown)
StickSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haven't been in forever, but I was a huge fan of the DC Zoo when I was a kid. Favorite stop on the way to Disney World.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stop by Ben's Chili Bowl.....really cheap, delicious food. It is a DC landmark as well.

I had a Chili Half-Smoke and Chili-Cheese Fries. Great stuff.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since you are visiting you should do all the monuments. I would also check out some of the Smithsonian museum's - Air and Space, American History and Natural History are some of my favorites. You could catch a Nat's game if they are in town. In terms of nightlife I would stick to Northwest - G'Town, Dupont, Foggy Bottoms, Glover Park, Tenleytown...Adams Morgan is meh.

You could check out the National Cathedral. The Georgetown waterfront is pretty nice as well. If you like running/biking take the Capitol Crescent trail and C&O Canal. That runs from Silver Spring down to Georgetown. You can kayak/canoe as well.

Georgetown has several good restaurants to choose from. Their are a few good Mexican restaurants i like - Cactus Cantina and Las Cuates - both have great food/frozen margaritas. Those two are a little bit up Wisconsin avenue from G'town. If you are in Bethesda Olazzo is a great Italian restaurant.

In my single days I went out to Sign of the Whale/Rumors (Dupont) to get loaded.

Hope this helps.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to be there the 15th through the 22nd. Gonna try to go to one of those first 2 Nats-Braves games I think. 20th through the 22nd. Hopefully Strasburg is pitching one of those 2. 40% chance, I suppose.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Library of Congress is also awesome. They have (literally) every book you could ever want to read, and you basically sit in these chairs and people bring them to you.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
The Library of Congress is also awesome. They have (literally) every book you could ever want to read, and you basically sit in these chairs and people bring them to you.
That sounds cool. I could probably spend an entire vacation there.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i you've got the time, Mt Vernon is f'ing sweet.... coming from an 8th grade US History teacher. Ford's Theater is sweet, too.

I'll be heading back to DC with 75+ 8th graders next May. I'm pumped to see it all again
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much all the DC stuff has been covered but a few more places I wanted to mention are the Holocaust Museum and the Crime Museum. They are around all the others but tend to get lost as neither are official Smithsonian museums and therefore go unnoticed. I agree with everyone else, the strip of restaurants and shops along Georgetown's waterfront are awesome. One other place I'd recommend, if you have a big group of people, would be Maggiano's Little Italy. They do family style for 4+ people and its AMAZING.

Also, I noticed you said you are staying in Silver Spring. I used to live there and the downtown Silver Spring area is really nice. I recommend checking out Ray's The Classics. It looks fancy but its got arguably the best burger in DC with its famous Ray's Hell Burger.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
Pretty much all the DC stuff has been covered but a few more places I wanted to mention are the Holocaust Museum and the Crime Museum. They are around all the others but tend to get lost as neither are official Smithsonian museums and therefore go unnoticed. I agree with everyone else, the strip of restaurants and shops along Georgetown's waterfront are awesome. One other place I'd recommend, if you have a big group of people, would be Maggiano's Little Italy. They do family style for 4+ people and its AMAZING.

Also, I noticed you said you are staying in Silver Spring. I used to live there and the downtown Silver Spring area is really nice. I recommend checking out Ray's The Classics. It looks fancy but its got arguably the best burger in DC with its famous Ray's Hell Burger.
Yeah, we are staying at the Hilton Homewood Suites. My girlfriend works at a Hilton around here, so she gets uber discounts on any Hilton. You wouldn't believe how much we are paying for a week's stay there.

I'll be sure to check out that restaurant, not much better than a good burger.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post

Went to Ray's the Classics last night and Ray's Hell Burger was one of the best burgers I have ever had. I got it Spicy Diablo Style. My girlfriend got the blackened scallops and those were incredible as well.

That place is only a 3-4 minute walk from my hotel, too.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Went to Ray's the Classics last night and Ray's Hell Burger was one of the best burgers I have ever had. I got it Spicy Diablo Style. My girlfriend got the blackened scallops and those were incredible as well.

That place is only a 3-4 minute walk from my hotel, too.
I live within a 3 min walk of Ray's. I was at the game Friday damnit!
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Just an update: I bought my girlfriend and I two tickets to the Friday, August 17th Nationals tilt against the Mets. If any of you are heading to that game, we should definitely meet up.

Last edited by djp : 07-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

some of my fav affordable restaurants are birch and barley, dino, graffiato, pig dc, toki underground, oyamel, two amys, hanks oyster bar, the standard, and pearl dive oyster bar. you wont go wrong with any of those. churchkey and jack roses are my two favorite bars. jack roses is fng awesome. other than citronelle, which cost a fortune, the georgetown restaurants are really not that great compared to some of the better offerings in dc.

the previously mentioned bens chili bowl and hell burger are legit. maggianos is not so much.

Last edited by DiG : 07-16-2012 at 07:36 PM.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished a book by former Secret Service agent Clint Hill who was assigned to the first lady back in the early 60s. Made me think of visiting Arlington cemetary to see where JFK is buried. Also have to get to the Viet Nam wall. Too many friends i'm sure haven't forgiven me for not looking them up there.

Prepare for some serious heat too.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jumbo slice isn't all that good.

I wanted Match Box but the wait was to long.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stay away from Damix ;)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Founding Farmers is a pretty cool Bar/restaurant - they have some pretty good drink concoctions
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Founding Farmers is a pretty cool Bar/restaurant - they have some pretty good drink concoctions
Is that the restaurant they use in Bones episodes for "Founding Fathers"?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote