Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some points...

- I think that we still need a FS. Even if Watkins has potential, why he comes out in the nickel packages? And Nate Jones come in.
Roy is good, in what he do, he's one of the best in the league. But this season he's not doing what he should do, he's playing deep. He lives in the line of scrimmage, when he's able to play here he's a badass.
So we need a FS who can cover a lot of field, someone with good recovery speed. And you have the answer: Nelson or Griffin. I bet we could pick one of them at #22. Remember last year, safeties are not elite, they fall in the draft.
I would love Griffin, he's a texas guy, he got the speed and he can recover.. His pick last year in the rose bowl was SWEET.

- Pass Rush. We need a NT. Ferguson is goo, but he ain't Williams, he ain't Wilfork. But there aren't this type of players in this year draft, maybe we should trade up to pick Alan Branch.
I believe if we find a mammoth NT we'll get a ton more of sack

- Pass Rush 2. We should pick someone like Mark Anderson later in the draft. An hybrid DE/OLB who can play 10-15 snaps a game and burst through the line.

- OL. While rusty, Flozell is still reliable. While his pass blocking abilities have regressed, you can run behind him all day. We need a G to replace Rivera, someone who can push, because Gurode is doing a great job and he needs help. There are a lot of good guards in the draft, and I want Steinbach from the FA market. Kosier isn't bad, but we need another guard to kick some asses

- WR. I like Austin, but I want a big receiverto develope under TO or a speedy guy to develope under Glenn. So I want Buster Davis or Dwayne Bowe. I know Bill would love to pick one of them, he always pick someone from LSU. Now that Meachaem and Rice have both declared, Bowe and Davis are both 2 rounders (Davis maybe 3rd). We should pick one of them

So, we need to pick the BPA, no matter what. Looking at the first 2 rounds I'll do something like that:

1 - Blalock, Griffin, Rice/Jarrett/Samardzjia, Hughes
2 - Bowe/Davis, Ramirez/Duckworth

Blalock is the only OL I would pick in the first...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BX
Don't crap on Carolina because they underperformed this season. They're still a dangerous team, and I expect them to bounce back next season.

All I'll say about Saturday night is I came away from it with a new dent in the side of my car. Frustration will do that.
I'll crap on Carolina all I want until they get a real QB.
Also the Panthers Defense were MAJOR underachievers this season. Not to mention another denfense :roll:

I put up with Roy Williams and gave him a mulligan on almost every coverage mistake, not anymore, :evil: Roy Williams :evil: is in my (and im sure most Cowboy fans') doghouse!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

After June 1 Dead Cap = 1.6 + 3.3 + 2.7 + 2 + 3.8 + 3.2 = 16.6

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent
Where did you find that info?
Bonus are amotized over length of contract. Got bonuses from internet. This past year's pro-rata share went to this past year contract

If cut before June 1 then you take entire bonus to following year cap.

No depending on how contract works could be very different. With escalators in salary, etc.

I am sure the results are different. Dunno by how much,
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Some points...

- I think that we still need a FS. Even if Watkins has potential, why he comes out in the nickel packages? And Nate Jones come in.
Roy is good, in what he do, he's one of the best in the league. But this season he's not doing what he should do, he's playing deep. He lives in the line of scrimmage, when he's able to play here he's a badass.
So we need a FS who can cover a lot of field, someone with good recovery speed. And you have the answer: Nelson or Griffin. I bet we could pick one of them at #22. Remember last year, safeties are not elite, they fall in the draft.

I would love Griffin, he's a texas guy, he got the speed and he can recover.. His pick last year in the rose bowl was SWEET.

- Pass Rush. We need a NT. Ferguson is goo, but he ain't Williams, he ain't Wilfork. But there aren't this type of players in this year draft, maybe we should trade up to pick Alan Branch.
I believe if we find a mammoth NT we'll get a ton more of sack

- Pass Rush 2. We should pick someone like Mark Anderson later in the draft. An hybrid DE/OLB who can play 10-15 snaps a game and burst through the line.

- OL. While rusty, Flozell is still reliable. While his pass blocking abilities have regressed, you can run behind him all day. We need a G to replace Rivera, someone who can push, because Gurode is doing a great job and he needs help. There are a lot of good guards in the draft, and I want Steinbach from the FA market. Kosier isn't bad, but we need another guard to kick some asses

- WR. I like Austin, but I want a big receiverto develope under TO or a speedy guy to develope under Glenn. So I want Buster Davis or Dwayne Bowe. I know Bill would love to pick one of them, he always pick someone from LSU. Now that Meachaem and Rice have both declared, Bowe and Davis are both 2 rounders (Davis maybe 3rd). We should pick one of them

So, we need to pick the BPA, no matter what. Looking at the first 2 rounds I'll do something like that:

1 - Blalock, Griffin, Rice/Jarrett/Samardzjia, Hughes
2 - Bowe/Davis, Ramirez/Duckworth

Blalock is the only OL I would pick in the first...
So, you are saying Roy is not a Safety. He is a linebacker.

Kind of sad the GM and Fans got it after his record setting 11MM signing bonus. The emperor has no clothes.

I still don't understand the Jerry Jones contract here b/c anyone with eyesight could see his substantive handicaps..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:19 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

By the way on the TO, Marco Rivera, Kosier, Williams and James contracts etc...... if cut them or trade them ..... (I know we won't)

Before June 1 -- we would have dead cap of Vanderjerk (1.6) + TO (6.6MM) + Rivera (5.4MM) + Kosier (4MM) + Williams (7.75MM) + Bradie (6.4MM) = 31.4MM

At least based on what is published on the internet about the contracts given. JBJ is a generous man with mediocre talent
Bonus are amotized over length of contract. Got bonuses from internet. This past year's pro-rata share went to this past year contract

No depending on how contract works could be very different. With escalators in salary, etc.

Lemme give you an example from the TO contract. TO Contract was 3 years for $25MM. 10MM sign on and 15 over 3. S/L Method = Base of 5MM per and 3.33MM in bonus per. 8.33 per year. So if you cut after Year 1 then Year 2 must take 66% of 10MM bonus to dead cap. 6.66MM.

BUT I THINK if same contract base Year 1 = 3MM, Year 2= 5MM and Year 3 = 7 ...... then I think you can amortize the bonus as follows after year 1 = 10MM - Year 1 Bonus Allocation (8.33 - 3MM base) = $4.67MM ....

Just a simple alegebra with complex rules.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

Lemme give you an example from the TO contract. TO Contract was 3 years for $25MM. 10MM sign on and 15 over 3. S/L Method = Base of 5MM per and 3.33MM in bonus per. 8.33 per year. So if you cut after Year 1 then Year 2 must take 66% of 10MM bonus to dead cap. 6.66MM.

BUT I THINK if same contract base Year 1 = 3MM, Year 2= 5MM and Year 3 = 7 ...... then I think you can amortize the bonus as follows after year 1 = 10MM - Year 1 Bonus Allocation (8.33 - 3MM base) = $4.67MM ....

Correct. The signing bonus is split evenly over the course of the contract when concerining the cap. 3.33 million per year because of TO's 3 years deal. If you want the correct base salaries you can search Owens on the NFLPA website. But you are correct, that base salaries rarely are even over the years. They normally escalate as you get deeper into the contract.

I'm pretty good with the cap. For some reason not many poeple have a firm grip on how it works.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

Correct. The signing bonus is split evenly over the course of the contract when concerining the cap. 3.33 million per year because of TO's 3 years deal. If you want the correct base salaries you can search Owens on the NFLPA website. But you are correct, that base salaries rarely are even over the years. They normally escalate as you get deeper into the contract.

I'm pretty good with the cap. For some reason not many poeple have a firm grip on how it works.
I may be mistaken, but I think that TO has a sizable roster bonus this offseason so while it's right with most contracts, TO's is an exception.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just did a quick look. Owens' base salaries look like this. He made 5 million in base this season, he'll make 5 million in base next season, and 4 million in base in 2008.

If the 10 million dollar signing bonus is correct, you would recieve a cap hit of 6.66 million by cutting him before june 1st. But would be saving 5 million on his base salary so would really be only losing 1.66 million in "dead cap space", and he would be completely off the books in 2008. If you guys were to cut him after June 1st, you would gain 1.66 million in cap space this year and gain 660,000 in space in 2008.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

I may be mistaken, but I think that TO has a sizable roster bonus this offseason so while it's right with most contracts, TO's is an exception.
Well that changes things up a bit. I was going by cowboysforever's 10 million dollar signing bonus figure. If say it was a 7 million dollar signing bonus with a 3 million dollar roster bonus this year, it gets a bit different.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Petrino to ATL.

Well that changes things up a bit. I was going by cowboysforever's 10 million dollar signing bonus figure. If say it was a 7 million dollar signing bonus with a 3 million dollar roster bonus this year, it gets a bit different.
But another small thing I tried poorly to explain. If Salary is 1 million in year 1 and 9 million in year two .... you can accelarate the signing bonus amortization to "straight line" the whole contract

So for example a 3 year 30 million dollar contract with a 10 million bonus can be structured as such if cut after Year One.

Salary Year 1 = 1 Million Base + 9 Million Bonus
Salary Year 2 = 9.1 Million Base + .9 million bonus
Salary Year 2 = 9.9 Base + .1 million bonus

I think many teams do contracts in this manner to take advantage of cap space in the present but save themselves headaches latter on in the contract.

Under the exmaple above if cut after Year 1 then the dead cap is 1MM not 66% of 10MM.

I beleive the CBA has some rules on how much Salary can be back loaded versus front loaded etc but ..... this is how teams play with contracts to use as much cap space as possible when under and use as little as possible when tight.

It really is simple if you have an excel model and a copy of the contracts / rules.

Eithe way, remeber, under teh CBA the NFL MUST SPEND a certain percentage of revenues on players. So teams can't just be perenially under the cap.

Honestly, with cap they should use the concept of rollover (like rolling over a tax credit) to give teams more flexibility year to year.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Just did a quick look. Owens' base salaries look like this. He made 5 million in base this season, he'll make 5 million in base next season, and 4 million in base in 2008.

If the 10 million dollar signing bonus is correct, you would recieve a cap hit of 6.66 million by cutting him before june 1st. But would be saving 5 million on his base salary so would really be only losing 1.66 million in "dead cap space", and he would be completely off the books in 2008. If you guys were to cut him after June 1st, you would gain 1.66 million in cap space this year and gain 660,000 in space in 2008.
Again, just using simple Google but smarter folks than I said the contract was structured in such a way that if cut after Year 1 the Cowboys would not be killed.

Roster bonus of $3MM? But if the contract is 5/5/4 and the signing was 10MM then ....... that is a $27MM contract not $25?

Are we saying he got an 8MM sign bonus? Then it makes sense.

In which case. the dead cap is 66% of 8MM if cut by June 1 (5.33MM). I dunno but that is my guess based on what I can read.

Sam token they would save spending 5MM + 1.5MM Roster Bonus (6.5MM) on a receiver with the WOOPS and a BA.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Again, just using simple Google but smarter folks than I said the contract was structured in such a way that if cut after Year 1 the Cowboys would not be killed.

Roster bonus of $3MM? But if the contract is 5/5/4 and the signing was 10MM then ....... that is a $27MM contract not $25?

Are we saying he got an 8MM sign bonus? Then it makes sense.

In which case. the dead cap is 66% of 8MM if cut by June 1 (5.33MM). I dunno but that is my guess based on what I can read.

Sam token they would save spending 5MM + 1.5MM Roster Bonus (6.5MM) on a receiver with the WOOPS and a BA.
But onto more interesting speculation, if Jerry wants to trade TO then he is going to have to pay the roster bonus.

NFW, any GM in the league who MAY WANT him would let Jerry move him before forcing Jerry's hands.

If ya think em bluffing -- ya gotta pay to see the hand. Jerry will need to pay TO the roster bonus to get value from the TO situation.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Owens had a $5 million signing bonus this year along with a $5 million salary. Next season he has a $3 million roster bonus and $5 million salary. In 2008 he has a $3 million roster bonus and $4 million base salary.

So you if you are looking at it from a pure salary cap standpoint to cut him right away you would save about $5 million from the cap.

If you cut him after June 1st (I also think there's something in the new CBA where you can cut them right away, but designate them as later and get the salary cap savings so they can go on the market when there is still more money around) you would save about $6.7 million this year and $6.3 million next year.

The contract was structured so the Cowboys could terminate it at any time without much of a penalty. I would have no problem paying $6 million a year for Owens when the salary cap is $120 for a team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2374225

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, I payed very very close attention to this game, and I have alot of things to say. So this write up may be long, but I have some things that I really would like to point out so bear with me here. I'll do it in my regular bulletin format.

- I think I mightve figured out the issue with the pass rush. Its the DEs. I tivoed the game and looked at it over and over and I saw the same mistakes from the DEs on pass plays play after play. Especially Spears. Here's the problem. Theyre not occupying the blockers the right way. Their gap assignment is different depending on whether its a run play or pass play.

For example, suppose the DC calls OLB fire. Now, if its a run play, the DE has rush in and occupy the OG, the OLB comes and takes on the Tackle. If its a pass play, the DE is supposed to occupy the Tackle and let the OLB come free on the blitz. Consistently I saw Spears and Canty read the oline incorrectly and fire the run gap on pass plays. In fact, its almost like they fire the run gap all the time no matter what. Thats incorrect. Theyre not helping their OLBs in the pass rush. Now, it may seem difficult superficially to guess what the play is, but honestly, its pretty simple. The oline reacts very differently after the hike on a run play or pass play. Pass plays they drop backwards, run plays they pull forward. So right away, the DE should know what his assignment is. Yet both DE's weren't filling the right holes during pass plays.

This is a very superficial explanation, because it could get quite complex, but what Im trying to say in simple terms is that the DEs are not occupying the oline properly. On some plays where theyre supposed to occupy the Tackle, they don't. When they stunt inwards and occupy the OG in pass plays, thats designed to maximize an interior push, and theyre failing at creating that interior pressure. Its the DEs.

- Ive heard alot being said about the FS. But thats bull. Watkins did fine. The FS was not the problem against the Seahawks. It was the SS, Roy Williams. Now, Ive been supportive of him at times during this season, but quite honestly, its time for him to take some responsibility. I don't want to hear about how a quality FS will allow him to play in the box and either blitz or cover the flats on passing downs.

Thats not what a safety does. You have LINEBACKERS for that. A safety is supposed to cover a deep zone and cover the TE. Something that Roy is ridiculously inept at doing. Youre telling me his job is to cover the flats or blitz on pass downs? If thats the case, why not just come out with 5 LBs? Roy is not a safety, not at his current frame. He either needs to shed 20 Lbs and become a safety who can cover, or he needs to be traded into a different system as a Cover 2 LB. Because at his current state, he is not a safety. And he is the reason why you have safety issues. He gave up 2 TDs against the Hawks. TWO. The Cover 2 play he got there late, the man coverage on the TE, he got destroyed and owned. He's the problem. Not Watkins. And quite honestly, I think Watkins will be very good next year. He has all the physical ability, he just needs refinement. And that will happen in the offseason.

- Terry Glenn had a very uncharacteristic performance in that game. I was shocked.

- I felt that Romo shouldve gone to Witten more.

- Anthony Fasano did nothing. I guess he is not developing as quickly as BP wouldve liked.

- Ware needs to improve his pass rush. That is very obvious. And how did Hasselbeck put the okey doke on him? He had Matt in his hands and just wiffed. And Ive seen him give up on plays when he gets owned. Thats not good. He's a great player with so much potential, he needs to work on his pass rush this offseason

- Bobby Carpenter is gonna be a fine player. All the guys complaining about him need to eat crow, he's gonna be special next year. Heck, he had more impact on the game than Ware did. And he has more pass rush moves, just not as much physical ability. Carp will be very good.

- The gameplans were fine, the offense and defense played fine. With the exception of Roy Williams, the defense did an overall great job.

- I still think though you need a 3-4 DC because the defensive players are not learning as quickly as they should

- The Romo fumble....that is gonna hurt for a long time. I still remember the San Fran game for the Giants, that type of play pains a franchise and lingers.

- Overall, BP would be foolish to leave. This team will be better next year than it was this year. He built a great program, and it would be dumb for him to leave so someone else can take credit for the program he's built. Im expecting Dallas to really be a dangerous team next year.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
charles_haley_rules

I'll go out on a limb and say TO should be on the team next year. Sure there were distractions, but nothing that killed the team. His league leading 13 touchdowns sure helped too. His production fell off when Tony Romo's fell off as he had some growing pains. I think next year with some time under his belt,Romo will be much better and back to the form we got spoiled by in his first few starts.

I think we need to adress left guard. There just isn't any push coming from there from what I see.

As far as the defense, production fell when we lost Ellis for the most part. Newman and Henry are good cover corners, but they dont get any help from the safeties. If you have problems in coverage, then you need a pass rush. I like out linemen, although it would be nice to see more from them in the pass rush. But i would like to see Dallas go after Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs, bring those guys in. Yes we are stacked at linebacker as it is, but those guys can get after the passer. I'ld hate to see a line try and keep Ellis, Ware, hatcher, Briggs/Thomas out of the backfield.

As far as safety, who knows. It seems Williams is consistently getting burned back there.

I think nose tackle is another need, someone to back up ferguson(who is playing great).

A young reciever wouldnt hurt either.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_haley_rules
I'll go out on a limb and say TO should be on the team next year. Sure there were distractions, but nothing that killed the team. His league leading 13 touchdowns sure helped too. His production fell off when Tony Romo's fell off as he had some growing pains. I think next year with some time under his belt,Romo will be much better and back to the form we got spoiled by in his first few starts.

I think we need to adress left guard. There just isn't any push coming from there from what I see.

As far as the defense, production fell when we lost Ellis for the most part. Newman and Henry are good cover corners, but they dont get any help from the safeties. If you have problems in coverage, then you need a pass rush. I like out linemen, although it would be nice to see more from them in the pass rush. But i would like to see Dallas go after Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs, bring those guys in. Yes we are stacked at linebacker as it is, but those guys can get after the passer. I'ld hate to see a line try and keep Ellis, Ware, hatcher, Briggs/Thomas out of the backfield.

As far as safety, who knows. It seems Williams is consistently getting burned back there.

I think nose tackle is another need, someone to back up ferguson(who is playing great).

A young reciever wouldnt hurt either.
Great first post. And I agree, Owens should stay. I think that BP doesn't have as much of an issue with TO as the media is portraying. I think thats a media driven agenda. BP has dealt with worse.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Ok, I payed very very close attention to this game, and I have alot of things to say. So this write up may be long, but I have some things that I really would like to point out so bear with me here. I'll do it in my regular bulletin format.

- I think I mightve figured out the issue with the pass rush. Its the DEs. I tivoed the game and looked at it over and over and I saw the same mistakes from the DEs on pass plays play after play. Especially Spears. Here's the problem. Theyre not occupying the blockers the right way. Their gap assignment is different depending on whether its a run play or pass play.

For example, suppose the DC calls OLB fire. Now, if its a run play, the DE has rush in and occupy the OG, the OLB comes and takes on the Tackle. If its a pass play, the DE is supposed to occupy the Tackle and let the OLB come free on the blitz. Consistently I saw Spears and Canty read the oline incorrectly and fire the run gap on pass plays. In fact, its almost like they fire the run gap all the time no matter what. Thats incorrect. Theyre not helping their OLBs in the pass rush. Now, it may seem difficult superficially to guess what the play is, but honestly, its pretty simple. The oline reacts very differently after the hike on a run play or pass play. Pass plays they drop backwards, run plays they pull forward. So right away, the DE should know what his assignment is. Yet both DE's weren't filling the right holes during pass plays.

This is a very superficial explanation, because it could get quite complex, but what Im trying to say in simple terms is that the DEs are not occupying the oline properly. On some plays where theyre supposed to occupy the Tackle, they don't. When they stunt inwards and occupy the OG in pass plays, thats designed to maximize an interior push, and theyre failing at creating that interior pressure. Its the DEs.

- Ive heard alot being said about the FS. But thats bull. Watkins did fine. The FS was not the problem against the Seahawks. It was the SS, Roy Williams. Now, Ive been supportive of him at times during this season, but quite honestly, its time for him to take some responsibility. I don't want to hear about how a quality FS will allow him to play in the box and either blitz or cover the flats on passing downs.

Thats not what a safety does. You have LINEBACKERS for that. A safety is supposed to cover a deep zone and cover the TE. Something that Roy is ridiculously inept at doing. Youre telling me his job is to cover the flats or blitz on pass downs? If thats the case, why not just come out with 5 LBs? Roy is not a safety, not at his current frame. He either needs to shed 20 Lbs and become a safety who can cover, or he needs to be traded into a different system as a Cover 2 LB. Because at his current state, he is not a safety. And he is the reason why you have safety issues. He gave up 2 TDs against the Hawks. TWO. The Cover 2 play he got there late, the man coverage on the TE, he got destroyed and owned. He's the problem. Not Watkins. And quite honestly, I think Watkins will be very good next year. He has all the physical ability, he just needs refinement. And that will happen in the offseason.

- Terry Glenn had a very uncharacteristic performance in that game. I was shocked.

- Anthony Fasano did nothing. I guess he is not developing as quickly as BP wouldve liked.

- Ware needs to improve his pass rush. That is very obvious. And how did Hasselbeck put the okey doke on him? He had Matt in his hands and just wiffed. And Ive seen him give up on plays when he gets owned. Thats not good. He's a great player with so much potential, he needs to work on his pass rush this offseason

- Bobby Carpenter is gonna be a fine player. All the guys complaining about him need to eat crow, he's gonna be special next year. Heck, he had more impact on the game than Ware did. And he has more pass rush moves, just not as much physical ability. Carp will be very good.

- The gameplans were fine, the offense and defense played fine. With the exception of Roy Williams, the defense did an overall great job.

- I still think though you need a 3-4 DC because the defensive players are not learning as quickly as they should

- The Romo fumble....that is gonna hurt for a long time. I still remember the San Fran game for the Giants, that type of play pains a franchise and lingers.

- Overall, BP would be foolish to leave. This team will be better next year than it was this year. He built a great program, and it would be dumb for him to leave so someone else can take credit for the program he's built. Im expecting Dallas to really be a dangerous team next year.
Big Blue you are dead on with Roy Williams. I am so happy I am getting some back up here. What did you think of Bradie James? He is horrid too IMHO. Good analysis on the DE.

On the Guards -- both really suck in terms of push. Rivera seems the worst. I see him on his back (falling backwards) at least 3-4 times per game.

Good to hear the TO bonus (if cut) is only 5MM & 2/3 = 3.33MM cap hit if cut by June 1.

Hope BP stays -- he had bad losses in NY and his teams came back. Remebah Flipper?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:

Big Blue you are dead with Roy Williams. I am so happy I am getting some back up here.

What did you think of Bradie James?
I agree with you on Roy, but James is fine. He's their run thumper on the inside. Like Teddy Johnson was for the Pats, like Harry Carson was for the Giants, like James Farrior is for the Steelers, like Godfrey is for the Chargers. He's a fine LB. They need someone on the inside who can compliment him if youre looking for better pass coverage, but I think Akin fits the bill. Worst case scenario, move Bobby inside and draft another speed rusher on the edge. But I wouldn't do that, I like Bobby on the perimeter. They seem to have solved the flats issues. Teams tried to isolate their FBs, but they just put Ware on them, and that was done. The flats and inside intermediate zones are fine.

What teams have had success with is isolating Roy Williams and just picking on him. Their safeties as a whole played poorly. The FS because he was a rookie, but Roy has no excuse. He was a 1st round pick. He's not supposed to be just a good in the box run stuffer. He needs to take responsibility and stop feeding his own ego. The "hammer" was getting hammered by a 1st round bust TE in Seattle. Thats inexcuseable.

I think Dallas is fine at LB. I think the issue is at safety.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:

Agree on Carpenter. Question is if we get another OLB then does he move inside? I am all for replacing Bradie with him in whatever configuration.

And yes, his pass rush skills are better than Ware. Been babbling that D Ware needs to learn how to use his hand and improve technique to be truly a dominating WOLB.

I would push for the following LB core cuz I think it puts the best players on the field......

Ware -- SOLB
Carpenter -- WOLB
Burnett -- WILB
Akin -- SOLB

You can now move these guys are around and actually play them in different spots on the field. Each one of thos eguys has experience inside or outside except Ware.

I would then have Bradie and Ellis joing the party on special downs and special teams.

On FS, I agree on Watkins. He has improved. His "burns" also this year where rookie mistakes. He did get like 4 INTS this year in like 7 games......
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Big Blue you are dead with Roy Williams. I am so happy I am getting some back up here.

I agree with you on Roy, but James is fine. He's their run thumper on the inside. Like Teddy Johnson was for the Pats, like Harry Carson was for the Giants, like James Farrior is for the Steelers, like Godfrey is for the Chargers. He's a fine LB. They need someone on the inside who can compliment him if youre looking for better pass coverage, but I think Akin fits the bill. Worst case scenario, move Bobby inside and draft another speed rusher on the edge. But I wouldn't do that, I like Bobby on the perimeter. They seem to have solved the flats issues. Teams tried to isolate their FBs, but they just put Ware on them, and that was done. The flats and inside intermediate zones are fine.

What teams have had success with is isolating Roy Williams and just picking on him. Their safeties as a whole played poorly. The FS because he was a rookie, but Roy has no excuse. He was a 1st round pick. He's not supposed to be just a good in the box run stuffer. He needs to take responsibility and stop feeding his own ego. The "hammer" was getting hammered by a 1st round bust TE in Seattle. Thats inexcuseable.

Farrior and Godfrey are fast and can cover. Bradie can not.

Eithe way, what I will say is you can not go into next season with both Bradie and Roy playing coverage poorly on passing downs.

Can not have TWO handicaps on the field at the same time.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eithe way, what I will say is you can not go into next season with both Bradie and Roy playing coverage poorly on passing downs.

Whats great about Carp and Ware is that theyre interchangeable. That allows some great versatility and a smart DC can use them in mismatches and move them around. You could even move both of them inside and bullrush the interior if you want.

James is fine. Every 3-4 defense needs a run thumper ILB. James is that. He's a hammer in the middle. And he's fine in coverage, as long as he's defending an intermediate middle zone, something that 3-4 ILBs predominately do anyway. On nickel downs he can be spelled. He's fine. The whole LB core is fine.

Even the 3 downlinemen will be fine with more technique work. I think the issue is at SS. I hate beating down the issue but it has become apparrent to me that unless Roy loses 20 Lbs, he will continue to be a liability to this defense.

In today's NFL, the safety must be able to cover the TE adequately. SAMs just don't fit that bill anymore. Dallas does not have that right now, and week in and week out theyre getting killed by the TE. With LJ Smith, Cooley, and Shockey in the division, this is something that must be addressed quickly. If it means trading Roy for a 2nd rounder, Id make that trade. This draft is deep at safety.

Someone would bite on that trade. Roy is a fine player, but he's out of position. He's not the right fit in Dallas with their current system.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
charles_haley_rules

Let’s not jump the gun here and revamp the defense. Roy Williams is clearly getting jobbed back there. With the lack of a pass rush teams are running longer developing plays that make the safety commit to covering the receiver. Remember, Dallas plays a lot of zone. Once Newman/Henry pass of the receiver, its up to the safety. Now who do you let run free? The receiver or tight end? The best way to have a good secondary is to get a pass rush. A la San Diego, or Dallas pre Ellis injury.

Bobby carpenter needed to adjust to the pro game. We saw him come on strong the last few ganes, and against the Seahawks he was everywhere. We already know Ware is butter on chrome. Ellis is the best pure pass rusher. Say we pick up Lance Briggs or Adalius Thomas. Thomas can match slot recievers step for step and hits like a sledgehammer. Third and 7+. Hatcher, Ferguson, Ellis on the line. Ware at ROLB, Carpenter and Burnette in the middle, Thomas at LOLB. The offense goes three wide with 1 tight end. Newman and Henry Play man on the outside recievers. One safety goes man up on the slot. The other is playing the shallow middle to cover a slant from the slot receiver or a seam route by the tight end. Go 0 cover(no safety deep). Carpenter/Burnette shows blitz, but drops to man on the tight end at the snap. Suddenly you have Ferguson, Ellis, Hatcher, Ware, Thomas, and a MLB coming at the line. Ellis will beat any right tackle so he demands double team. 2 down. Some centers can hold ferguson so we’ll leave him matched up. 3 down. Hatcher occupies the left tackle. 4 down. The blitzing MLB is picked up by the LG. 5 down. Now you have a RB left by himself to pick up Ware or Thomas, but not both. That’s bad juju for a qb. Newman and henry can hold their own. The slot is cut off from the inside and has to adjust, losing time. The tight end is covered in man with a safety sitting on top dedicated to him.

I’ll take that match up any day of the week.

It’s all about having the matchups. Without Ellis, dallas lost that edge. We need to get it back, and then some.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:14 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whats great about Carp and Ware is that theyre interchangeable. That allows some great versatility and a smart DC can use them in mismatches and move them around. You could even move both of them inside and bullrush the interior if you want.

James is fine. Every 3-4 defense needs a run thumper ILB. James is that. He's a hammer in the middle. And he's fine in coverage, as long as he's defending an intermediate middle zone, something that 3-4 ILBs predominately do anyway. On nickel downs he can be spelled. He's fine. The whole LB core is fine.

Even the 3 downlinemen will be fine with more technique work. I think the issue is at SS. I hate beating down the issue but it has become apparrent to me that unless Roy loses 20 Lbs, he will continue to be a liability to this defense.

In today's NFL, the safety must be able to cover the TE adequately. SAMs just don't fit that bill anymore. Dallas does not have that right now, and week in and week out theyre getting killed by the TE. With LJ Smith, Cooley, and Shockey in the division, this is something that must be addressed quickly. If it means trading Roy for a 2nd rounder, Id make that trade. This draft is deep at safety.

Someone would bite on that trade. Roy is a fine player, but he's out of position. He's not the right fit in Dallas with their current system.
What would you recommend doing with Roy?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What would you recommend doing with Roy?
This is not going to be an opinion that many will agree with me on, but Id trade him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. As long as you guys run the 3-4, you really have no place for him on your team. Youre fitting a square peg in a round hole. Some team will take him for a 2nd rounder.

With the stacked talent at safety this year, you can easily find his replacement. Michael Griffin is available, Merriweather is available, you can even package some picks and nab Laron Landry in round 1. It may not be a popular move, but in the long run it will be better for the defense.

Only if he doesn't change his body in the offseason though. I think if he loses weight he can salvage his career as a safety. But he has to get down to 215. If he stays at the same weight, Id make an offseason move to get rid of him for a high draft pick.

I think Roy Williams would dominate the game as a Cover 2 WILL. The problem is the Cowboys are not running Cover 2, theyre running the 3-4. Its just not gonna work. Not unless like I said, he changes his body.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would take a 2 any day for Roy. I will even buy him and his family the plane tickets out of town.

Roy change his body type? Why, his ego gets way too much out of bashing bodies on the field, including his own team mates.