Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
While he's occassionally subbed for with Josh Thomas, Robert Mathis has been playing all downs for the last two years. He plays beyond his size against the run, surprisingly, although obviously it's best to sub for him when possible to keep him as fresh as possible.

If the Cowboys draft a strong safety, he'll play the run and the pass, plus he'll be fast enough to play special teams.
Well i'm sure he plays admirably against the run seeing his size, but in an ideal world, i'm sure your DC wouldn't want Robert Mathis playing every down on defense.

I don't see how doing that is any different than subbing out Roy Williams in
pass coverage.

If they draft Kenny Phillips or DaJuan Morgan, then i guess the writing is in fact on the wall regarding Roy's stay here, but until i see that, i'm not gonna
be quick to say that he's as good as gone. He's gonna get a chance to prove himself again for two big reasons.

1. He's shown he's capable of being an All-Pro safety. He still has his glimpses now and then, and if he sheds 10 or 15 lbs, he might get there again, and..
2. Cutting him would pretty much put the Cowboys over the cap. There's still a lot of signing bonus that needs to be paid.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
SweatThePipe
Rookie

SweatThePipe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

How good did Hamlin play SS in Seattle?

Like s**t.

Proof positive.

Roy did horrible in run support? He was 2nd on the team in tackles and 1st in solo tackles.

So, who's making stuff up now?
SweatThePipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatThePipe View Post

Like s**t.

Proof positive.

Roy did horrible in run support? He was 2nd on the team in tackles and 1st in solo tackles.

Who cares if he is first on the team in tackles. Do you know how many of those tackles were a result of him letting people catch the ball in front of him and then tackling them?

How many of those tackles were behind the line of scrimmage?

How many of those tackles came as a result of the defense not being able to get off of the field due to bad coverage extending drives by Williams/Reeves?

He sucks. Using stats to manipulate his performance won't work. Watch the guy play and you'll see a liability.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

zero TFL for ole' Roy Boy IIRC
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Like s**t.

Proof positive.

I cant believe you can say Hamlin played like **** but Roy played great for us, nice analogy There is no need in arguing with you, its well documented how bad Roy was last year, its well documented that he cannot cover anyone and he was a liability in the run as well, its well documented that his playmaking aka big play ability is diminished, as in he doesnt do that anymore...Its silly to defend him with useless arguments, he has to be apart of this team because of his contract size, thats the only thing buying him any playing time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
SweatThePipe
Rookie

SweatThePipe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are you saying Hamlin played good at SS in Seattle? You're kidding right?

Roy giving up short passes is not a big deal.

Could he be playing better? Of course. And he better. We need him to step it back up.

Saying the only reason he is here is because of his contract is bogus. If we didn't want him here, he'd be gone. Period.
SweatThePipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you saying Hamlin played good at SS in Seattle? You're kidding right?

Roy giving up short passes is not a big deal.

Could he be playing better? Of course. And he better. We need him to step it back up.

Saying the only reason he is here is because of his contract is bogus. If we didn't want him here, he'd be gone. Period.
So why is he still here? Enlighten us. Can't be for his coverage ability, seeing he is taken out on passing downs and situations. Surely isn't for his "Gamechanging" hits and plays in the backfield, because I can't even recall the last time he made one of those plays. So why is he still here, if not for the Cap hit we would take if he was to be cut?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nice to see so many Roy haters come around to the dark side but fascinated to see a Roy apologist still around. Unbuhleebable.

OT: what is the story with Antwaun Molden and E Bennett. THese guys any good or JAGs?
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobindallas View Post
Nice to see so many Roy haters come around to the dark side but fascinated to see a Roy apologist still around. Unbuhleebable.

OT: what is the story with Antwaun Molden and E Bennett. THese guys any good or JAGs?
With all the talk of no going WR early this year, I'll probably take Bennett off my mock pretty soon. But I am still a fan of his.

Molden was merely on my mock on mearuables (unintended alliteration). He has everything you look for in a CB physically, so I wouldn't be surprised if goes much earlier then where I have him.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:34 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
With all the talk of no going WR early this year, I'll probably take Bennett off my mock pretty soon. But I am still a fan of his.

Molden was merely on my mock on mearuables (unintended alliteration). He has everything you look for in a CB physically, so I wouldn't be surprised if goes much earlier then where I have him.
Same here, I was always high but this was when he seemed like a nice mid round steal, now it looks like 2nd round isnt out of the question...big fan of Molden.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2008, 02:38 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My love affair with Roy is over. He truely frustrates me. Lots of potential, but I see him standing around way to much.

However, I went to the playoff game and watched him the entire game. In the one game that I was able to consentrate on him (playoffs), HE DID NOT LOSE THAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Addition by subtraction was letting Reeves go. Roy still has a place on the team. Does he get paid too much? Yes. Is he great? No. Is he horrible? No. There are bigger holes.

Now, Julius Jones was horrible. Everyone that played his position made him look like a punk. When Roy was out, I didnt see anyone lighting it up.

In short, Roy is no longer a standout on this team. But he is not the reason we did not advance in the playoffs, either. He is, much to my chagrin, "Just a guy."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
My love affair with Roy is over. He truely frustrates me. Lots of potential, but I see him standing around way to much.

However, I went to the playoff game and watched him the entire game. In the one game that I was able to consentrate on him (playoffs), HE DID NOT LOSE THAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Addition by subtraction was letting Reeves go. Roy still has a place on the team. Does he get paid too much? Yes. Is he great? No. Is he horrible? No. There are bigger holes.

Now, Julius Jones was horrible. Everyone that played his position made him look like a punk. When Roy was out, I didnt see anyone lighting it up.

In short, Roy is no longer a standout on this team. But he is not the reason we did not advance in the playoffs, either. He is, much to my chagrin, "Just a guy."
I agree he is not the reason but he contributed mightly with his performance right before the half ....

The thing with him is that you are are playing 10 v 11 on passing downs and the historical arguement to "get him near the LOS" just makes no sense schematically because he can't make plays at the LOS with his size and technique.

One will be accepted but the other controversial .... we lost v the GMen because of Crayton and Romo. Crayton's sloppy play and Romo just dropped off a cliff after the GB game. His play was poor December and January IMHO.

Also, let me put in Garrett and his over reliance on the passing game. Not impressed with his body of work in Dec and Jan last year. Boring, predictable pass game and no faith in the running game with MBIII -- that is, it is ok to win 20-17.

** Please, no need to start in about Romo. I love the kid but he has much to learn to be elite and frankly has to perform in the post season as well as he does in September.

Last edited by bobindallas : 04-13-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:

I actually thought Keith Davis looked better against Carolina than Roy did against anyone. He also equaled Roy's "big hit" total for the season in that game
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When playing as a safety for a Defensive Line that tired quite often in retrospect(there were quite a few games where D.Ware was the only guy left in the latter portion of games maintaining a pass rush)... Where the CB's left on the field at any one time were Henry/Reeves or Newman/Reeves... I think its incredibly short sighted to rat on Williams. His play merited a position in the Pro Bowl again this year(yes it was as an alternate. But if hes as awful as its been said. The COACHES wouldnt have him there.)...

His play against the run this year was exceptional. Often stopping runs when the LB's AND Line were made to look stupid or were too busy not wrapping up.

Fair enough... He could improve in pass coverage. But that could be(and its a huge possibility given the correlation between the years he's been good and the years he's given up plays) a matter of trust. As has been stated. He had no constant talent playing next to him on the corners... And before Hamlin... You had Roy in a position where he HAD to be the veteran. Which is plain to see is not a good position for him to be in. His play improved last year compared to the year before... Hamlin helped that. And if we start the season healthy. I expect a further improvement again based on Henry and Newman starting as well.

He's paid far too much for his level of play. BUT I assume alot of that money is because of how much of a cashcow he's been for the Cowboys in the League. How many "#31"'s have been sold since he came into Cowboys training camp?

I understand that alot of you have lost faith in him. You did with Julius and were partially justified even if I kept waving my JJ flag(and will continue to)... Im hoping that with a healthy backfield and arguably the best its been since Woody played... We should see Roy's level of play improve to the point where people stop highlighting him as a weakness for the team.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll see his play improve if we put a corner out there that's gonna man his side and be at the very least above average in coverage. Reeves was plain horrible at times last year, and with the injuries to Newman and Henry, he was seeing waay too much playing time for anyone's good.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

per roto:
Quote:
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram says don't be surprised if S Roy Williams is benched on third downs this season.

This news comes after our earlier report that Williams will be removed from nickel and dime packages to limit his exposure in the passing game. This looks like a make or break season for Williams' career.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/592092.html

Talks about his time here is basically finished, one way or another...Which is why Jerry will make it priority to get Hamlin signed, you guys need to stop worrying about that, we wont let our safety position be completely young and raw.

Plus, If Kenny Phillips is staring at us in the face, let me go on record again as saying he could be our late 1st rd pick, although I wouldnt mind him, Morgan or Johnson.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, LL. You are on record. Phillips is a cowboy.

I wouldn't mind this, depending on the other picks we make. It's just that I dont see safety as the weak link. I may be alone. Roy is frustrating, no doubt. I still dread putting on my "31" jersey. But he is not the only one that has let us down...

Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Speaking of the #31, he's changing to his old number, from his OU days #38 :D

At least if somebody wants a new jersey they have that option I guess lol.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

It will be interesting to see how many they sell. I know they will sell at least one less than they did #31.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how many they sell. I know they will sell at least one less than they did #31.
make that 2. That fat pig's jersey is buried in my closet these days.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
per roto:

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/592092.html

Talks about his time here is basically finished, one way or another...Which is why Jerry will make it priority to get Hamlin signed, you guys need to stop worrying about that, we wont let our safety position be completely young and raw.

Plus, If Kenny Phillips is staring at us in the face, let me go on record again as saying he could be our late 1st rd pick, although I wouldnt mind him, Morgan or Johnson.
There was nothing in that story that had not been hashed out often in this forum. However one interesting note was that it was written by a writer who's been a notable "Roy" apologist in the past. Even he sounds fed up.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 AM    (permalink
bdlyons26
Rookie

bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

he still led the team in solo tackles and second in total lol...... like ive been saying (but nobody likes...) he should put on 10-20 more pounds and hit the weights hard core and move to linebacker, maybe not fit for big d but somewhere!
bdlyons26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlyons26 View Post
he still led the team in solo tackles and second in total lol...... like ive been saying (but nobody likes...) he should put on 10-20 more pounds and hit the weights hard core and move to linebacker, maybe not fit for big d but somewhere!
What linebacker spot do you recommend he plays? And, what makes you think he has to work ethic to do anything other than eating?

Your idea is stupid because Roy will never be able to take on guards, much less tackles. I've seen him get a 15 yard full head of steam, only to run straight into a guard and pancaked.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
What linebacker spot do you recommend he plays? And, what makes you think he has to work ethic to do anything other than eating?

Your idea is stupid because Roy will never be able to take on guards, much less tackles. I've seen him get a 15 yard full head of steam, only to run straight into a guard and pancaked.
Roy lacks technique to take on Guards, not size.

Most LB leads with the helment then punch underneath the pads in order to get some leverage and use their quickness to possibly shed the blocker.

Roy unfortunately just lowers his shoulder, gies up his entire body and goes down flailingly his arms outward hoping he shoe strings a tackle. Bad form.

But to me, Roy lacks training on how to lay LB. Not size or speed or strength for that matter.