Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Anyway, you can bash and insult me all you want. I will simply go back into the history of the posts and pull them back up to support my points.
So your gonna make new points, supported from old points you made before?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like how cowboysforever acts like he is the first to suggest moving Henry to FS even though we all discussed it in the offseason.

Most people can realize it creates problem at CB unless we can bring somebody in.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I love saying goodbye to Zimmer. It makes me happy. Happiest I've been since Saturday Night.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

OK, Let me go back Thule and list the various ideas but first stating what the problem is first. Problem, Analysis, Solution in order of importance

Problem 1A: Our D is too slow in the middle of the field
Problem 1B: Bad pass rush.
Problem 2A: We don't have a real high quality RB
Problem 2B: Our Guards stink
Problem 5: TO is a distraction to the team
Problem 6: You want to address all the problem within context of $$$ while not completely overhauling a roster that has talent

I will go from here issue by issue

Problem 1A: Slow.

Problem Description: I believe the performance of Bradie James and Roy Williams have been discusses ad nauseum. Many disagree but I think the big issue is they are slow. BBD was talking how Urlacher is a great example of being out of position but using speed to recover. Here are some potential solutions...

S1. Trade: Roy has some value in a 4-3. Maybe even Bradie. Contracts are tough but one bloated cap Player for another is possible. Shaun Rogers was a guy that came to mind where maybe a Roy W plus Burnett gets it done. Obviously this has some implications on solving Problem 1B and what happens to a good player, Fergie. After the trade either get a better coverage SS in the draft or promote Elam. I think Elam looked good in the Pre season.

S2. Slim Down: Easiest option and obvious.

S3. Bench Bradie or Roy or both: If you can bench Archuleta then why not Roy. Again, go Elam or Draft or FA on SS. In linbacking -- put in your 4 fastest LB -- Ayodele, Burnett, Ware and Carpenter. Bradie, Ellis, Fowler, Singleton, Glymph off the bench.

S4. Day 1 Draft Pick. Usual names.

1B Pass Rush.

Problem Description: Obvious

S1. Trade: Well I proposed find a new NT with ability to push. Someone mentioned Kris Jenkins. Another interesting option. Obviously if you trade for either you need to give up something so check the solution sets to problem 1A

S2: Draft or FA: Adalius Thomas, Jarvis Moss, Quentin Moses and LaMarr Woodley come to mind as names mentioned here that are pressure guys in the top end of the draft. With that said this approach creates such a huge back log in the LB Corp that once again you have to think trading away some excess talent. Burnewtt, Carpenter, Thomas, Ayodele and Ware is over kill.

S3: Internal development of DEs. Absolutely but do we hang our hat on this one.

Problem Description: Our RBs are ok but not one is the true star or BP type back. Julius is fast but has poor vision, gets knocked down fast, not a great pass catcher and is smallish. Barber lacks home run speed and is too small to be a bruiser. Thompson is green, does lack juke but is fast.

S1: Draft: If a stud falls to you draft him. Lynch comes to mind. M Bush is coming out now too. Impact guy who can start day 1 in round 1.

S2: Draft/Trade: Juilius has value. Trade him for a pick and turn that into a real good third down back. Booker has been mentioned. Maybe an FA cheap. Turner Barber inot the one but get him 10 pounds of muscle. Use Thompson to relieve Barber. I like this option cuz it gives us some optionality in 1st down to throw to the back.

Problem 2B: Guards stink

Problem Description: Get pushed around more than Tina with Ike..

S1: Draft: Blalock comes to mind obviosly. Could use a Levi Brown too. Grubbs. Ramirez etc

S2: FA. Again? Have we not spent on this already

S3: Internal Development and Promotion of Proctor.

To me the first four problems are most pressing and most inter-dependent. If you can solve a few via trade then others via draft and vice versa but you start with FA if you ask me.

Problems 5 and 6 are almost mutually exclusive. I don't think they are nearly as complicated or important to solve unless we go WR round 1 or we magically give away 29 MM in cap space over night.

On a side note, yes, Austin can do it by the way. What a great kid and what great talent. Hell if Colston can play so can this kid. Not only that GMs are saying you can find great WR talent later and later in drafts so.... replacing TO is not as mission critical from a personnel perspective but important for morale.

Anyway. God night I hope.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman
I like how cowboysforever acts like he is the first to suggest moving Henry to FS even though we all discussed it in the offseason.

Most people can realize it creates problem at CB unless we can bring somebody in.
Zone based D's don't need the world's greatest corner or for that matter Henry.

Again, with that said it would be great if Watkins is the answer.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
I know I said I was done aknowledging you but...it just got to be too much..so hopefully I will show you were I'm coming from. I'm gonna go back in the archive a bit and show you why you opinions aren't respected.

Quote:
Any chance Cowboys move around some players in the offseason to get more speed on the field?

Granted we need a FS but how about Henry to FS and get one of the young corners in oppositte Newman?
You overvalue the backups on this team...Reeves and Jones haven't done anything to show you that they could start in this league. Henry to FS isn't out of my thoughts...but the way you presented the thought just made me laugh. If you woulda said..."since this is a deep draft in top CBs...maybe we could bring in a top guy on the first day to replace that gap left from henry moving to fs" I would have said...ya that makes some sense.

Quote:
Also how about Spears to NT? Hatcher to RDE and Canty to LDE.

Use the Fergie money for something else?
You want to convert our underachieving DE to NT...at the time it didn't make alot of sense because Spears wasn't in such a slump...but now that idea doesn't seem so out of left field. But trading the most important player on our defense to get some money to spend on FA makes no sense to me and makes me laugh. Not only would we lose a true player...but we would be counting on a guy who has never played the nose in his life to come in and contribute at a high level...this idea is very farfetched.

Quote:
Thule, Burnett plus Keith Davis (SS not FS) can get us one of those 5 receivers.

Williamson is labeled a bust here in minny. M Williams in Det. All 3 in Atl. Look at the Raiders too. Make it 6 guys with talent that folks are down on.

Put in a decent round 1 class of WR???? ..... And WR talent is pretty available this off season if you ask me.

Just seems there are some teams who just want to move talent for whatever reason and if we get rid of TO we have money to invest in that position.

Look at last off season -- some good WR talent got moved around cheaply.
You are so positive we could give up two players and recieve a player...I mean we could argue it but bottomline is until it happens you are wrong. We just have to agree to disagree. But this post is classic...as bolded you state a fact that is simply not true. I even call you out on it a couple of posts later...yet you still stick to this conclusion.

This is about 15 pages or so our your posts. I haven't even hit the good stuff...with you tlaking about getting rid of TO and starting Austin, how your so successful in life...like we actually care...how you brought everything to this forum first. I think I backed myself up good enough to get you to stop crying about noone respecting your opinions. Please just keep it to the information...and leave out the personal pitty.
I am still waiting for you to find an opinion of mine that was just flatly wrong.

B/c I can find plenty of mine that plus/minus some timing differences are being echoed as we speak.

With respect to trades. Thule, you just don't know. Ideas generate trades. Trades don't generate ideas. I have proposed a variety of changes OF WHICH if you get 2 to 3 done you are happy in the off season.

Anyway, you can bash and insult me all you want. I will simply go back into the history of the posts and pull them back up to support my points.

I will make some exact points in a minute talking of my earlier ideas. Gotta go cook my pasta.

NOONE CARES if you are making pasta...noone cares if you said moving Henry to FS turns out to be right...because it is been picked apart before...so many of us don't feel the need to visit the arguement. It's like the Merriman vs. Ware debate...it just gets old after awhile.

The difference between the respectable posters on this board and you is that they don't feel the need to toot their own horn...whereas you seem to always need to say me/me/me its like you have a self-esteem problem...and its really getting worse everyday. I just don't get the need to promote yourself the way you do...you are almost as bad as yoda.
Angry?

In addition, if these points have all been discussed why not say that instead of insulting people?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was roasted for that one. Not one apology or admittance of over - reaction on the posters part to my idea.
I know I said I was done aknowledging you but...it just got to be too much..so hopefully I will show you were I'm coming from. I'm gonna go back in the archive a bit and show you why you opinions aren't respected.

Quote:
Any chance Cowboys move around some players in the offseason to get more speed on the field?

Granted we need a FS but how about Henry to FS and get one of the young corners in oppositte Newman?
You overvalue the backups on this team...Reeves and Jones haven't done anything to show you that they could start in this league. Henry to FS isn't out of my thoughts...but the way you presented the thought just made me laugh. If you woulda said..."since this is a deep draft in top CBs...maybe we could bring in a top guy on the first day to replace that gap left from henry moving to fs" I would have said...ya that makes some sense.

Quote:

You want to convert our underachieving DE to NT...at the time it didn't make alot of sense because Spears wasn't in such a slump...but now that idea doesn't seem so out of left field. But trading the most important player on our defense to get some money to spend on FA makes no sense to me and makes me laugh. Not only would we lose a true player...but we would be counting on a guy who has never played the nose in his life to come in and contribute at a high level...this idea is very farfetched.

Quote:
Thule, Burnett plus Keith Davis (SS not FS) can get us one of those 5 receivers.

Williamson is labeled a bust here in minny. M Williams in Det. All 3 in Atl. Look at the Raiders too. Make it 6 guys with talent that folks are down on.

Put in a decent round 1 class of WR???? ..... And WR talent is pretty available this off season if you ask me.

Just seems there are some teams who just want to move talent for whatever reason and if we get rid of TO we have money to invest in that position.

You are so positive we could give up two players and recieve a player...I mean we could argue it but bottomline is until it happens you are wrong. We just have to agree to disagree. But this post is classic...as bolded you state a fact that is simply not true. I even call you out on it a couple of posts later...yet you still stick to this conclusion.

This is about 15 pages or so our your posts. I haven't even hit the good stuff...with you tlaking about getting rid of TO and starting Austin, how your so successful in life...like we actually care...how you brought everything to this forum first. I think I backed myself up good enough to get you to stop crying about noone respecting your opinions. Please just keep it to the information...and leave out the personal pitty.
I am still waiting for you to find an opinion of mine that was just flatly wrong.

B/c I can find plenty of mine that plus/minus some timing differences are being echoed as we speak.

With respect to trades. Thule, you just don't know. Ideas generate trades. Trades don't generate ideas. I have proposed a variety of changes OF WHICH if you get 2 to 3 done you are happy in the off season.

I will make some exact points in a minute talking of my earlier ideas. Gotta go cook my pasta.

NOONE CARES if you are making pasta...noone cares if you said moving Henry to FS turns out to be right...because it is been picked apart before...so many of us don't feel the need to visit the arguement. It's like the Merriman vs. Ware debate...it just gets old after awhile.

The difference between the respectable posters on this board and you is that they don't feel the need to toot their own horn...whereas you seem to always need to say me/me/me its like you have a self-esteem problem...and its really getting worse everyday. I just don't get the need to promote yourself the way you do...you are almost as bad as yoda.
Angry?

In addition, if these points have all been discussed why not say that instead of insulting people?

Where is the insult?

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Angry?

Where is the insult?
Hmmm start with the "Madden" condescion.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:

In case you didn't notice, our zones got picked apart late in the season...
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Angry?

Where is the insult?
I can see you disagree and that is cool but tell me what projection of the future is wrong or conclusion from the past is wrong?

Why can't Spears be a NT? Or Jones play CB in a Zone based scheme? Or Burnett plus Davis get you a Jenkins in ATL?

Obviously, not everything that get written during "hot stove" season happens but you need to start with a long list of ideas to get to a few that actually work in the real world.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
Quote:
Quote:

In case you didn't notice, our zones got picked apart late in the season...
Well, if you address Problem 1A as I wrote earlier you may get a new outcome when it comes to our coverage problems and that is wthout moving Henry to Safety.

But hell, you may want to go Henry and Watkins back there to get the best available cover guys in the game. Then use Glenn/Newman/Reeves and Jones as DB.

Anyone but Roy if you want to win.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Can we agree Henry to FS while keeping Roy Williams as SS is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic?

Henry can't improve Roy's play any more so than Patrick can under the current conditions.

Maybe we can start here?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
OK, Let me go back Thule and list the various ideas but first stating what the problem is first. Problem, Analysis, Solution in order of importance

Problem 1A: Our D is too slow in the middle of the field
Problem 1B: Bad pass rush.
Problem 2B: Our Guards stink
Problem 5: TO is a distraction to the team
Problem 6: You want to address all the problem within context of $$$ while not completely overhauling a roster that has talent

I will go from here issue by issue

Problem 1A: Slow.

Problem Description: I believe the performance of Bradie James and Roy Williams have been discusses ad nauseum. Many disagree but I think the big issue is they are slow. BBD was talking how Urlacher is a great example of being out of position but using speed to recover. Here are some potential solutions...

S1. Trade: Roy has some value in a 4-3. Maybe even Bradie. Contracts are tough but one bloated cap Player for another is possible. Shaun Rogers was a guy that came to mind where maybe a Roy W plus Burnett gets it done. Obviously this has some implications on solving Problem 1B and what happens to a good player, Fergie. After the trade either get a better coverage SS in the draft or promote Elam. I think Elam looked good in the Pre season.

S2. Slim Down: Easiest option and obvious.

S3. Bench Bradie or Roy or both: If you can bench Archuleta then why not Roy. Again, go Elam or Draft or FA on SS. In linbacking -- put in your 4 fastest LB -- Ayodele, Burnett, Ware and Carpenter. Bradie, Ellis, Fowler, Singleton, Glymph off the bench.

S4. Day 1 Draft Pick. Usual names.

1B Pass Rush.

Problem Description: Obvious

S1. Trade: Well I proposed find a new NT with ability to push. Someone mentioned Kris Jenkins. Another interesting option. Obviously if you trade for either you need to give up something so check the solution sets to problem 1A

S2: Draft or FA: Adalius Thomas, Jarvis Moss, Quentin Moses and LaMarr Woodley come to mind as names mentioned here that are pressure guys in the top end of the draft. With that said this approach creates such a huge back log in the LB Corp that once again you have to think trading away some excess talent. Burnewtt, Carpenter, Thomas, Ayodele and Ware is over kill.

S3: Internal development of DEs. Absolutely but do we hang our hat on this one.

Problem Description: Our RBs are ok but not one is the true star or BP type back. Julius is fast but has poor vision, gets knocked down fast, not a great pass catcher and is smallish. Barber lacks home run speed and is too small to be a bruiser. Thompson is green, does lack juke but is fast.

S1: Draft: If a stud falls to you draft him. Lynch comes to mind. M Bush is coming out now too. Impact guy who can start day 1 in round 1.

S2: Draft/Trade: Juilius has value. Trade him for a pick and turn that into a real good third down back. Booker has been mentioned. Maybe an FA cheap. Turner Barber inot the one but get him 10 pounds of muscle. Use Thompson to relieve Barber. I like this option cuz it gives us some optionality in 1st down to throw to the back.

Problem 2B: Guards stink

Problem Description: Get pushed around more than Tina with Ike..

S1: Draft: Blalock comes to mind obviosly. Could use a Levi Brown too. Grubbs. Ramirez etc

S2: FA. Again? Have we not spent on this already

S3: Internal Development and Promotion of Proctor.

To me the first four problems are most pressing and most inter-dependent. If you can solve a few via trade then others via draft and vice versa but you start with FA if you ask me.

Problems 5 and 6 are almost mutually exclusive. I don't think they are nearly as complicated or important to solve unless we go WR round 1 or we magically give away 29 MM in cap space over night.

On a side note, yes, Austin can do it by the way. What a great kid and what great talent. Hell if Colston can play so can this kid. Not only that GMs are saying you can find great WR talent later and later in drafts so.... replacing TO is not as mission critical from a personnel perspective but important for morale.

Anyway. God night I hope.
I liked this a lot better than the other things I've seen from you. I don't think I really have a problem with you, but I do disagree with a few of your opinions.

BTW, earlier you were asking for someone here who is never wrong and I would just like to let you know that person is me.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Can we agree Henry to FS while keeping Roy Williams as SS is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic?

Henry can't improve Roy's play any more so than Patrick can under the current conditions.

Maybe we can start here?
I personally don't think Henry is an upgrade at FS, but that's a completely different issue.

History has shown that a different player at FS can affect Roy's play because he had his best season while playing alongside Woodson in the secondary. That problem is that with all the accolades Roy has received in the NFL I don't know if there is anyone we could bring in that could get him to clean his act up and lose the weight he needs to and spend more time in the film room.

Bascially, in conclusion, a different FS can change Roy's play in the secondary, but I don't see a scenario where we could get a player who could do it. It would have to be a top tier guy with a lot of experience who is a leader. I don't see anyone like that available. Too bad we didn't ever bring in someone like a troy vincent. Part of me thinks that Aaron Glenn could be a guy who would be a positive influence on Roy and I don't know why he isn't.

Maybe a coach could do the job, but the only guy that comes to mind is Mike Singletary. There are probably a few other guys out there and hopefully our new defensive coordinator can light a fire under Roy.

Now that I have addressed your point about Roy, you have to admit that trading Roy isn't a real possibility. He just signed a new extension so he ties up serious money in the cap, he sells millions of dollars worth of merchandise, and his value as far as playmaking ability and knack for creating turnovers comes somewhere around offsetting his liabilities in coverage.

And if for some reason you still think that trading Roy is a possibility, admit that it won't happen this year with Jerry Jones as our owner. If it won't happen there is no point discussing it further because we all know what you're opinion on the subject is.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jdallas not really what this discussion is about, but I'm not even sure Parcells thinks Roy needs to lose weight. This season I haven't heard anything about it if I remember right. Parcells was asked about players weights or something along those lines in a press conference, and all he said was there were a couple players who were haveing trouble keeping their weight up.

I agree that Roy should lose about 10-15 lbs., but I doubt that happens unless Parcells tells him he needs to.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboysforever, I liked the way you broke down the offseason. I didn't agree with everything but some things did make sense...I'm gonna do something similar.

I'm most avid about not throwing away money by wasting cap. Which is why I feel that James and Roy will be here next year. Their is a solution however.

As far as FA goes I really only see 3 or 4 possibilities.
1)Josh Brown...won't happen from the comments that JJ made but i have been on this all year and won't drop it.
2)OG....There is solid depth out there this year...Leonard Davis, Eric Steinbach, Jordan Black, Derrick Dockery are all guys below 30 who could come in and give our line some solid experience which is something I feel we need.
3)SOLB...Briggs and Thomas are both great options on the strong side. Will we be able to sway one or the other idk but this is a great place to try to address this need.
4)FS....If a solid vet FS is out there I want him. Darren Sharper is the first person to come into my mind. He is worried about being replaced by Blue...but this team is clearly not on its way to a superbowl..so I'd be angry too if my contract came up in the next two years and it was gonna affect my future. If we can get him away for a second day pick or they have interest in a player of ours such as Crayton/Davis I wouldn't hesitate. Because its likely the S position is gonna be touched some time in this draft anyways. Veteran leadership to tutor Watkins holds more value to me here.

So there are a couple of solutions here in the draft depending on how FA goes...I think i'm fairly accurate as far as what direction we will go in FA.

I think obviously FA affects alot on how our draft will go...there are a couple of different senerios.

If we get a veteran OG in fa...Blalock goes off the big board. A guy like Ramirez in the 3rd makes alot more sense in this aspect.

If we go SOLB in FA...the draft really doesn't have any SOLB that I like..but it would also remove us going after a guy on the first day. I tend to think Carp and Burnett work the nickel next year...and Carp splits plays with Burnett or Ellis on the outside...this seems ideal to me as far as getting everyone on the field to earn their money. If we address OLB in FA I think its safe to say we'll leave it alone durning the draft.

As far as FS goes...I think we need a vet. However if that guy just isnt' on the market...a guy like Zibby on the second day would be a nice addition to our team especially on special teams if we find outselves without Davis. I really like Piscitelli out of Oklahoma State if he is there on the second day. I actually see this as something big to address in the offseason.

We need to get Roy playing the Rover in the Nickle...this would leave Burnett and Roy as so called lb's...Then leave Watkins/Piscitelli as the safeties....or if we sign our vet...Sharper/Watkins deep and the best part of this is...if Roy shows the ability to play the Rover Burnett become completely expendable..which leaves room to draft a pass rushing specialist.

My gut feeling tells me that Woodley is available in the third round...call me crazy but after the combine and such it will be known that he has fallen from his potential first round grading.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think we don't need another LB. Carpenter was amazing in the first half against the Seahwaks, the problem are not the LB, are the DE (as bbd said). If we want another pass rusher we shoudl grab Adam Carriker, not an OLB, imo.
If we pick Thomas from FA we should have to bench Ayodele, Carpenter or James.. I want Carpenter to start, he really impressed me on saturday.. We have 5 good LBs, we dont' need another one. We need our DE to step up. Canty showed improvement, Spears is still sleeping. If they can't step up, we should grab another DE who can bring pressure inside..

btw, I guess I'm a better and more productive pasta cooker than cowboysforever, just because i'm italian 8)

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 AM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm in favor of bringing in Darren Sharper to provide some veteran leadership and tutor Watkins. That's a fabulous idea.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:18 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX
I'm in favor of bringing in Darren Sharper to provide some veteran leadership and tutor Watkins. That's a fabulous idea.
Well he isn't a FA...however he did issue his worries that he was benched in the last game of the year for no reason for them to play Greg Blue. He says he wants to stay in MN...but its virtually up to them on what to do. We might have the ammo to get him...with a guy like Crayton tho. Davis might intrigue them aswell. Obviously draft picks are the most logical...I think if they are sold on Blue then a 6th could do the trick. Probabally have to be a player and a pick.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 03:23 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
I still think we don't need another LB. Carpenter was amazing in the first half against the Seahwaks, the problem are not the LB, are the DE (as bbd said). If we want another pass rusher we shoudl grab Adam Carriker, not an OLB, imo.
If we pick Thomas from FA we should have to bench Ayodele, Carpenter or James.. I want Carpenter to start, he really impressed me on saturday.. We have 5 good LBs, we dont' need another one. We need our DE to step up. Canty showed improvement, Spears is still sleeping. If they can't step up, we should grab another DE who can bring pressure inside..

btw, I guess I'm a better and more productive pasta cooker than cowboysforever, just because i'm italian 8)
Well my LB theory has alot to do with burnett. We saw in TC that Carp was productive in the nickel...but Parcells was thinking it was getting to be too much and lowered his nickel reps...if we are sold on Ellis being apart of our team next year...I think its safe to say he will still be getting quite a bit of snaps. Well if this is the case....Carp would likely spell him every other series or w/e and contribute in the nickel opposite Roy. I think if this is the case...we will get the most our of our top 5 LBs....but Burnett is really the wildcard to let this all happen.

I agree if a LB is brought in here...either ellis or burnett have to be on their way out for this to make sense...ellis is so cheap it will be interesting to see what happens with him. Burnett's rookie contract should be due up soon...but I think parcells truely does value him on special teams and in nickel packages...which is why I say that Carp needs to show a good improvement their...for this team to make a big splash on a SOLB.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you think that someone like Alama-Frncis could be avaible in the 4th-5th round? Like Anderson last year.. I like the idea of bringin an DE/OLB tweener to play 10-15 snaps a game lining up as a DE in the nickel..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM    (permalink
charles_haley_rules

Quote:
Do you think that someone like Alama-Frncis could be avaible in the 4th-5th round? Like Anderson last year.. I like the idea of bringin an DE/OLB tweener to play 10-15 snaps a game lining up as a DE in the nickel..
Carpenter was all over the place the last few games. He has game and will be on point next year. Ellis' return is up in the air. Burnette is great in the nickel. Ware is the stud. James plays the middle adequately. Adolye made some plays.

There is no reason why we stil lcant bring in a beast linebacker like Adalius Thomas. He is used all over the field. Anybody see him line up in man coverage of Chad Johnson and mash him out of bounds? Or see him run step for step with slot recievers?

Sometimes I think people suffer from a lack of imagination. Thomas on the slot reciever. Jam, jam, jam. This time, no jam,he blitzes off the edge, the same edge ware is on. Which one get's blocked? Especially with Ellis coming on the other side. Burnette rotates out and covers the slot with safety help. The MLB drops into a zone in the middle.

Now look at the standard 3-4 set. Canty, Spears, Ferguson on the line. Ware, Ellis, James, Carpenter at LB. r shift the set and go heavy on the weak side with Ware on the line, Thomas at ROLD, James in the middle, Adolye, and Ellis.

Thomas gives the 3-4 one more dimension and versatility. Passs ruch and coverage. Multiple personel sets for differing situations. Consider dropping Ware, Burnette, Thomas, and Carpenter into a flat zone across the field, about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage. Newman and Hnery in man, Roy and Watkins in zones sitting over the linebackers or covering deep.

The possibilities are endless people!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_haley_rules
Quote:
Carpenter was all over the place the last few games. He has game and will be on point next year. Ellis' return is up in the air. Burnette is great in the nickel. Ware is the stud. James plays the middle adequately. Adolye made some plays.

There is no reason why we stil lcant bring in a beast linebacker like Adalius Thomas. He is used all over the field. Anybody see him line up in man coverage of Chad Johnson and mash him out of bounds? Or see him run step for step with slot recievers?

Sometimes I think people suffer from a lack of imagination. Thomas on the slot reciever. Jam, jam, jam. This time, no jam,he blitzes off the edge, the same edge ware is on. Which one get's blocked? Especially with Ellis coming on the other side. Burnette rotates out and covers the slot with safety help. The MLB drops into a zone in the middle.

Now look at the standard 3-4 set. Canty, Spears, Ferguson on the line. Ware, Ellis, James, Carpenter at LB. r shift the set and go heavy on the weak side with Ware on the line, Thomas at ROLD, James in the middle, Adolye, and Ellis.

Thomas gives the 3-4 one more dimension and versatility. Passs ruch and coverage. Multiple personel sets for differing situations. Consider dropping Ware, Burnette, Thomas, and Carpenter into a flat zone across the field, about 7 yards off the line of scrimmage. Newman and Hnery in man, Roy and Watkins in zones sitting over the linebackers or covering deep.

If we bring in a high priced FA...someone is gonna be seeing the door...whether its Ellis who is dirt cheap and contract is up after 2007 or Burnett who's contract should be coming up in 2007...it will be interesting to see.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If we bring in a high priced FA...someone is gonna be seeing the door...whether its Ellis who is dirt cheap and contract is up after 2007 or Burnett who's contract should be coming up in 2007...it will be interesting to see.
If we bring in another pass rusher, whether it's another LB or a DE, Ellis is expendable. He's getting older and coming off of a nasty injury.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If we bring in another pass rusher, whether it's another LB or a DE, Ellis is expendable. He's getting older and coming off of a nasty injury.
Why I do agree with you...Ellis is on a dirt cheap contract...so we really have no reason to cut him. Burnett has value especially when it comes down to a 4-3 team. If I had to guess what guy goes it would be Burnett...but I guess someone would have to show interest for that to happen.

Designs by me
Quote: