Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Jason Taylor is absolutely better then Jared Allen. Jared Allen is just a hot name right now because he is young and coming off a big year. Jared Allen the year before last had only 7.5 sacks and was pretty ordinary. His career high before then was 11. Solid for sure but nothing to right home about. This stuff happens all the time. Guy has a great year in a contract year, gets a big contract and then returns to form. He's a good DE, he is not special and he is no where near one of the top defensive players in the NFL.

Jason Taylor is what was considered a kinda tough year for him last year still put up 11 sacks and year in, year out gets you 12-13 sacks and has averaged 11.7 over his career. You know what you are getting with JT.

Jared Allen is just a hot name because he's young, he has much coveted pass rush skills, and he was very much avialable and open. JT on the other hand is getting older, and Tuna keeps saying he will be dealt. Allen has just been blown up by the media coming off his best year in a contract season.

Don't get confused Allen having a better season last year with him being a better player overall. Jared Allen has proven to be inconsistent (his stats go way up and down every other year), his motor runs hot a cold at times, and he hasn't been the best leader/clubhouse guy. He has issues despite his upside.

Jason Taylor is consistent, you know what you are getting, he a leader and he gives his effort on every play.

I think the bottom line is this:

Jared Allen is one of the leagues better sack artists.
Jason Taylor is one of the leagues better game changers/playmaker.

One season does not change that.
I think you are severely underrating Jared Allen. And I'm not sure exactly why.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
you can't expect to get close to the same thing that the Chiefs got for Allen for Taylor.
Where did I ever say I expected to get close to what Jared Allen fetched? That'd be crazy. Come on now.

Allen got the number 17 overall plus 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I was talking about a single 1st for JT and I even said 26 is the most likely target.

That's not even close to Jared Allen territory. And there's no debating that the Allen trade ups JTs value. The price for DE on the trade market was set and now they can work off that and luckily for us it was set very high. On top of that, there's one less DE on the market which also raises JTs value.

I'm going into this thinking we will likely come out with a mid to high 2nd rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't end up with a low 1st for him and the team is trying for even more. No harm in that.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are forgetting one important thing. Jason Taylor is also a MUCH better dancer than Allen.

Okay, maybe not the right time to bring this up, but still...:)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
You guys are forgetting one important thing. Jason Taylor is also a MUCH better dancer than Allen.

Okay, maybe not the right time to bring this up, but still...:)
haha, maybe not. But we could talk about Edyta... I could talk about her all day! :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Where did I ever say I expected to get close to what Jared Allen fetched? That'd be crazy. Come on now.

Allen got the number 17 overall plus 2 mid 3rd round picks.

I was talking about a single 1st for JT and I even said 26 is the most likely target.

That's not even close to Jared Allen territory. And there's no debating that the Allen trade ups JTs value. The price for DE on the trade market was set and now they can work off that and luckily for us it was set very high. On top of that, there's one less DE on the market which also raises JTs value.

I'm going into this thinking we will likely come out with a mid to high 2nd rounder but I see no reason why we couldn't end up with a low 1st for him and the team is trying for even more. No harm in that.
Joe,

I cannot see them landing a #1 for Taylor unless they throw something else in. You make it seem like #26 is not a lot to give up. If I was running the Jaguars, there is no doubt that Taylor is the guy I would pursue because he really could be the missing piece. But, at most I would drop down from 26 to 32 and then maybe throw my low #2 and maybe a #4 to make the deal.

By the way, good link to an article in this morning's sun-sentinel that nails it

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...2908097.column

Last edited by Quagmire : 04-24-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
You make it seem like #26 is not a lot to give up.]
If your a contending team, would you rather give up a mid 1st and 2 3rds for Jared Allen or a low 1st for JT?

So no I don't think it's a outrageous asking price considering what people have already shown they are willing to pay.

As for the trade up from 32 to 26. Mite as well stop bringing it up every other post. All articles including the one your brought up have neve mentioned a trade down and in fact most mention Miami is asking for a 1st rounder but will likely settle for a high 2nd. We are looking to get more picks, not switch places.

btw... you don't need to post me sun-sentinel articles and stuff to try to prove me wrong, I've read them all man. They are local papers, no way I haven't seen it.

Besides what's so crazy about me thinking they could get a late 1st if reports are we are asking for a mid 1st and then we will only get a 2nd. My projection is right in the middle of what we are asking and what people are offering. It's compromise. It's not anywhere near as crazy as 4 QBs in round 1.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
If your a contending team, would you rather give up a mid 1st and 2 3rds for Jared Allen or a low 1st for JT?

So no I don't think it's a outrageous asking price considering what people have already shown they are willing to pay.

As for the trade up from 32 to 26. Mite as well stop bringing it up every other post. All articles including the one your brought up have neve mentioned a trade down and in fact most mention Miami is asking for a 1st rounder but will likely settle for a high 2nd. We are looking to get more picks, not switch places.

btw... you don't need to post me sun-sentinel articles and stuff to try to prove me wrong, I've read them all man. They are local papers, no way I haven't seen it.

Besides what's so crazy about me thinking they could get a late 1st if reports are we are asking for a mid 1st and then we will only get a 2nd. My projection is right in the middle of what we are asking and what people are offering. It's compromise. It's not anywhere near as crazy as 4 QBs in round 1.
Joe,

If you are asking me if I would take Jared Allen over Jason Taylor at this age if the price was equal, the answer is YES. Allen is a better player than Taylor right now. Now, in no way would I have given up the $$ and picks that Minnesota did, but if all things were equal, I take the 26 yr old in his prime.

Everyone is saying that teams basically don't want to give a 2 let alone a 1. I could ask for $20,000 for my 2002 Dodge stratus, but there is no chance I am getting it....

I am not trying to prove you or anyone wrong, just posting an article that I think nailed the need to trade Taylor. Not everyone is in Florida or reads the website for the papers.. If I want to post them, it is because I think it is informative.

IF you still think my 4 qb thing is outrageous, then you obviously have not seen that the interest in Henne and Flacco is skyrocketing. I am more confident than ever about it happening. I think the Jags dropping 6 spots and giving another pick is 10 times more realistic than a 1 straight up for Taylor. Trust me, I hope you are right because we should laugh all the way to the podium if they pull that off.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Joe,

If you are asking me if I would take Jared Allen over Jason Taylor at this age if the price was equal, the answer is YES. Allen is a better player than Taylor right now. Now, in no way would I have given up the $$ and picks that Minnesota did, but if all things were equal, I take the 26 yr old in his prime.

Everyone is saying that teams basically don't want to give a 2 let alone a 1. I could ask for $20,000 for my 2002 Dodge stratus, but there is no chance I am getting it....

I am not trying to prove you or anyone wrong, just posting an article that I think nailed the need to trade Taylor. Not everyone is in Florida or reads the website for the papers.. If I want to post them, it is because I think it is informative.

IF you still think my 4 qb thing is outrageous, then you obviously have not seen that the interest in Henne and Flacco is skyrocketing. I am more confident than ever about it happening. I think the Jags dropping 6 spots and giving another pick is 10 times more realistic than a 1 straight up for Taylor. Trust me, I hope you are right because we should laugh all the way to the podium if they pull that off.
I'm kind of thinking that 4 QB's is not so unreasonable anymore. I could definitely see 2 or 3. I just hope we aren't one of them that makes the 3rd or 4th one. That would suck.