Balls on line: Call your shot
I'd love to see what you guys think of how Texans will do in 2008. I think we'll go 10-6. Here's why.
1. Alex Gibbs will by himself improve the O-Line tremendously. But in addition, look at our O-Line for next year
LT D. Brown
Sorry but that O-Line plus Gibbs is going to give us an above-average O-Line for the first time in Texans history.
2. Our Defense is a rising giant.
DE Mario (NFL Defensive Player of Year candidate- again), Kalu, Weaver, etc.
DT Okoye (Rising star - remember he came into NFL as a 19-year old. The dude was good last year and will step into being great this year), Travis, Okam, etc.
LB Ryans (All-Pro), Adibi, Greenwood, etc.
Safety CC + somebody (I see Safety as the weakness of our D in 08 but that's not a bad place to have your weakness)
CB Bennett, Molden, Reeves, Dunta
3. Slaton will not start but will finally give us another playmaker on Offense besides Andre. Somebody else who can bust out a 65-yard play occasionally.
4. Schaub/Rosenfels should be adequate at QB. Especially with an improved O-Line, Backfield, and Defense to take the pressure off of them.
5. Special Teams. Texans are historically above-average in this area and should be again this year.
Also, and this may be a more shocking prediction than Texans at 10-6, I am picking the Colts to take a fall this year. I think Texans, Jags, and Titans will all overtake them. History shows that Marvin Harrison at his age will fall off the map this year. I think Colts will be 7-9. They won't do worse than that simply because Peyton will not let them. But besides Peyton, the rest of the offense won't be great. (I think Reggie Wayne will put up great stats and be a top 5 Fantasy Football WR because of Peyton but he's not a great NFL WR) And they always have issues on Defense.
Surprise teams in a bad way this year: Colts, Redskins (took major hits in coaching and rookie WR's rarely have impact in their first year - Redskins may be candidates for NFL worst team this year)
Surprise teams in a good way this year: Texans, Vikings
AFC playoffs: Patriots, Texans, Jags, Titans, Browns, Chargers
NFC playoffs: Cowboys, Giants, Saints, Cardinals, Packers, Vikings
Super Bowl: Patriots or Chargers vs. Cowboys