Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffe28 View Post
Just out of curiousity, how does everyone rank our team needs?
Situation critical: DT, OT
Upgrades: LB, S, WR, K, P [maybe RB]
Looking to the future: C, CB w/return skills, [maybe RB]
Only if the value is really good: TE, OG, FB
Don't bother: QB, DE

RB is the position I had the most difficulty categorizing. I think we could do just fine with our existing set... then again, a single feature back could do a lot to improve offensive consistency. I guess it really hinges on Travis Henry's ability to avoid injury and off-field distractions... something I'm not too optimistic about.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This might end up influencing draft strategy:

NFL owners nix hopes to add players

If we don't feel like we can keep an 80 man roster when adding a 9 man draft class we might be forced to trade some picks. Maybe it makes a trade up for Dorsey or Ellis more likely. Maybe it makes Shanahan think twice about a K or P competition because we'd have to use 4 spots. Hmmmmm...

Does anyone know where I can find a full current roster for the Broncos so I can see what 80 men we currently have and who I can cut so we can keep all our picks?
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it will have a huge impact. Take a look at the roster - there's a *lot* of garbage sitting there just waiting to be cut.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=396

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffe28 View Post
This might end up influencing draft strategy:

NFL owners nix hopes to add players

If we don't feel like we can keep an 80 man roster when adding a 9 man draft class we might be forced to trade some picks. Maybe it makes a trade up for Dorsey or Ellis more likely. Maybe it makes Shanahan think twice about a K or P competition because we'd have to use 4 spots. Hmmmmm...

Does anyone know where I can find a full current roster for the Broncos so I can see what 80 men we currently have and who I can cut so we can keep all our picks?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for. And there are indeed some cuts to be had.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO, our needs(based on most critical:

1. LT - I can not stress this enough to get a bonafide stud LT protecting Cutler. I am definitely not sold on either Harris or Kuper or whoever we want to throw out there.
2. DT - My god this is a pitiful group. I was tempted to move it to #1, but protecting Cutler is just that important to me. But seriously, we are looking at either Antwon Burton or Alvin McKinley starting alongside Marcus Thomas. I'd be fuming to take a DT in round 1 but it won't be worth it if Ellis and Dorsey are gone by the time they pick. Round 2 is a money round to take a DT though IMO, a lot of good options. I won't expect the rookie to do anything impressing this year, but it sure would help for the long run.
3. Safety - I have mixed opinions on Abdullah, sometimes I think he can be a solid starting safety in the league, and sometimes I think he should be cut by whiffing by 5 miles on routine tackles. Manual and McCree are just to have bodies to throw out there. IMO, we need a FS more than a SS at this point, someone who can actually cover.
4. LB - mainly, upgrading. I think we should see if this Niko guy can actually play like he's been talked about. We have adequate depth with Webster and Winborn. DJ hopefully will excel moving back to the weakside. I think we do need to draft a LB for the strong side, maybe MLB.
5. K - I really hope we are looking at someone in the draft, because I don't want to go into the season with Matt Prater the starting kicker or some scrub vet.
6. WR - Marshall's antics are starting to get annoying and bothersome. Colbert I think could be an adequate #2 guy. Don't need a guy who will get 70 catches for over 1,000 yards and 10 TD's here, just to be able to get 50ish with 750ish yards. What I want though is a guy who can stretch the field. I would hate the pick at #12, but Desean Jackson would do just that. I would only want to take Jackson if we trade down to the 20's. If we were looking at drafting a guy who can take over the #2 job and become great at it, I would consider Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly if his knees are healthy.

I'd say if we stay pat where we are, I'd want us to take:
12. Ryan Clady or Chris Williams
41. Pat Sims/Trevor Laws
4th round picks: look at taking LB, WR and Owen Schmidt
Some pick in the 5th or 6th round, take a kicker
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

OT-Pears, Harris, and Kuper...Somebody tell Cutler to up his insurance
DT-Thomas, McKinley and who? I still think we will send a late second day pick to the Jets for Robertson. If so DT in day one is no longer required.
WR-Marshall's arm was almost cut off and I doubt he will be 100% anytime this season if ever. Stokley is old and slot material and while I like the Colbert signing there is a lot of uncertainty.
S-Unfortunately this class sucks but we got some decent FA pickups to hold things over.
LB-WLB is fine with DJ. SLB and MLB are potentially fine and if all else fails we resort to last years group (yuck). This draft has some good middle round depth at LB and I think we should take one.
OG/C-Some risk with Hamilton and Nalen is old. Again some good middle round depth in this area and we should select at least one.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 AM    (permalink
JCutlery
Veteran

JCutlery hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
OT-Pears, Harris, and Kuper...Somebody tell Cutler to up his insurance
DT-Thomas, McKinley and who? I still think we will send a late second day pick to the Jets for Robertson. If so DT in day one is no longer required.
WR-Marshall's arm was almost cut off and I doubt he will be 100% anytime this season if ever. Stokley is old and slot material and while I like the Colbert signing there is a lot of uncertainty.
S-Unfortunately this class sucks but we got some decent FA pickups to hold things over.
LB-WLB is fine with DJ. SLB and MLB are potentially fine and if all else fails we resort to last years group (yuck). This draft has some good middle round depth at LB and I think we should take one.
OG/C-Some risk with Hamilton and Nalen is old. Again some good middle round depth in this area and we should select at least one.
Shanahan must of read your post.

Anways, with most of Denver's offseason acquisitions made, what do you guys think the depth chart will look like when the regular season begins?

WR - Brandon Marshall, Keary Colbert
LT - Ryan Clady, Tyler Polumbus, Chris Kuper
LG - Ben Hamilton, Chris Kuper
C - Tom Nalen, Kory Lichtensteiger
RG - Montrae Holland, Kory Lichtensteiger
RT - Erik Pears, Ryan Harris
TE - Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler, Nate Jackson
WR - Darrell Jackson, Brandon Stokley, Eddie Royal
QB - Jay Cutler, Patrick Ramsey
RB - Travis Henry, Selvin Young, Ryan Torain, Cecil Sapp
FB - Peyton Hillis, Cecil Sapp, Spencer Larsen

P - Sam Paulescu
K - Matt Prater
KO - Matt Prater
PR - Eddie Royal, Dre Bly
KR - Eddie Royal, Selvin Young
PC - Mike Leach
KC - Mike Leach
H - Jay Cutler, Patrick Ramsey

LE - Ebenezer Ekuban, Jarvis Moss, John Engelberger
LT - Marcus Thomas, Carlton Powell, Ebenezer Ekuban
RT - Dewayne Robertson, Alvin McKinley
RE - Tim Crowder, Elvis Dumervil
WLB - D.J. Williams, Jamie Winborn, Wesley Woodyard
MLB - Niko Koutouvides, Spencer Larsen
SLB - Boss Bailey, Nate Webster
LCB - Champ Bailey, Karl Paymah, Jack Williams
RCB - Dre Bly, Domonique Foxworth
SS - John Lynch, Hamza Abdullah, Wesley Woodyard
FS - Marlon McCree, Josh Barrett
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think with the Casey Wiegmann signing, and the drafting of Lichtensteiger that Nalen's injury is more serious then it seems. As sad as this is to say, I can see Wiegmann being the starting center this year, not sure if Nalen will be ready to go
CT Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Are you kidding me?

Broncos | Team may be interested in Alexander
Mon, 5 May 2008 14:48:00 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Denver Broncos may be interested in free-agent RB Shaun Alexander (Seahawks).
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM    (permalink
IndyColtScout
Veteran

IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.

Broncos Fans,

Is there any chance Glenn Martinez will be cut. DEN has a lot of depth at WR right now with Marshall/Colbeart/Stokley/DJax/Royal/Parker/Martinez. Royal could possibly take over Martinez's special teams spot as well as his WR spot. Do you guys think Glenn will be the odd man out?

I would like to see him on the Colts, not that it will happen, but I would like to see it if he is cut.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CT Bronco Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtScout View Post
Broncos Fans,

Is there any chance Glenn Martinez will be cut. DEN has a lot of depth at WR right now with Marshall/Colbeart/Stokley/DJax/Royal/Parker/Martinez. Royal could possibly take over Martinez's special teams spot as well as his WR spot. Do you guys think Glenn will be the odd man out?

I would like to see him on the Colts, not that it will happen, but I would like to see it if he is cut.
I would be very surprised if Martinez made Denver 53 man roster this year
Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Rod Smith is such a class act. I, for one, would be very happy if the Broncos signed him on as a coach once he officially retires.

Smith Offers Pointers
Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3533124

Broncos sign veteran CB Brodney Poole

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been reading some good things about Royal. What kind of expectations do you guys have?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I'm trying to find some information on why the Broncos cut Hixon last year. Training camp hype put aside, this kid has been lights out on special teams and now seems to be tapping into the high ceiling potential many raved about when he was drafted. Any info would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
hixon was terrible for us on special teams in whatever action he was given. i don't remember him doing anything worthwhile on kick returns. that said, iw as surprised he was just cut, as he seemed like a guy who could contribue fi they allowed him a couple of years to develop properly.
That's interesting. He has been lights out every time he has touched the ball as a returner. I read last year there were some major psychological impacts going on after the Everett ordeal. Still though, he had scouts drooling if I remember correctly while he was at Akron and was seen as a 3-4 year project. I'm just wondering if it was a horrific move by your front office or if he was having some unknown off the field trouble. Again I hate to judge a player on preseason, but he has done everything a big time WR needs to do over the past month. Route running, hands, speed....he is really surging into a very good WR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

A few things about Hixon:

- IIRC, the Broncos wanted to resign him to the practice squad, but the Giants picked him up.

- To some degree he was a scapegoat for the all-around awful special teams play. I think the team felt pressed to "shake things up", even though there really wasn't a better option available.

- He may have tested the patience of Shanahan a little too much with the long recovery from his injury, then the inability to produce on the field after looking good in training camp.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
in any case, i've liked what i've seen from royal enough that even if hixon is great for you guys, i'm not TOO upset about losing him (again, assuming royal continues to be a stud).
Royal was a great pick. Looking at the rest of our WR's, I can easily see him being our #2 guy in the near future (if he's not already).
Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hixon looked terrible for us, and I'm suprised he is doing so well. Talk about a quick turnaround with a different team.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Maybe Hixon looked bad because our ST's are awful?

Get on a team that can actually block and form a wedge, line, etc and he can light it up.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
then again, after letting elam go, it's pretty clear that shanahan doesn't think we need to bother with special teams. you'd think nearly a decade of godawful play would've proved him wrong already.
Though I'm not completely sold on Prater yet, he is doing the one thing that the coaches want him to do in replacing Elam and that is to kick the ball into the end zone on kickoffs. If he does that consistently then it nullifies our atrocious return coverage. I don't like that he's missed a FG in each game but he is 6/8 and 75% isn't utterly terrible. As long as our red zone offense is actually improved then we won't have to rely on Prater to win games.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Quote:
you say "as long as our red zone offense is improved" as if it might actually be improved (for the first time in a decade). i'll believe it when i see it.
Well, for the first time in a decade the Broncos have a QB capable of putting the ball in the small windows necessary to score red zone TDs who is also looking comfortable with the offense. I'm not convinced the running game is where it needs to be, but I do think Cutler's play-making ability will open things up for Hall or Young inside.

I agree that it's a big if, and if we can't score TDs Prater will likely cost us a game that Elam would have won with FG. Then again, Prater might save us a few points and win us a game by consistently making teams go 80 yards after Kick-offs instead of the 69 or so they had to go last year because no one could kick the ball into the end zone.

As far as punting, we haven't had a consistent punting game since Rouen probably so Palescu or Kern is nothing new. This is definitely an area I'd like us to solve someday.

Last edited by jaffe28 : 08-22-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

Yeah, the red zone play-calling has been iffy for quite awhile. I think that Coach Shanahan has not adjusted well to a less talented group of players since Elway, Davis, Zimmerman, Jones, Stink went into the night. If I recall, during the 3 year run 13-3, 12-4, 14-2 and two Superbowl championships everybody knew what two or three plays we were going to call in the red zone and simply couldn't stop it. So our red zone woes since then seem like a combination of lesser personnel and Coach not always being creative enough with what he had. Then again, Plummer/Griese without exceptional wide receivers other than Rod Smith really doesn't threaten anyone with the passing game in close even with creativity making the running game less effective. Cutler might make all the difference there, particularly when Brandon Marshall comes back. I'd like it better if Torain hadn't been injured though.

Saurbrun definitely looked like the answer but his idiocy made that a flash so still no consistency.

As far as your last question, I don't think there is a record that could get Shanahan fired at the end of this year because the team has done a reasonable job of selling the idea that the Broncos are young and may need time to develop. However, if they go 6-10 or worse then they better be a hell of a lot better in '09 or Bowlen might not be able to ignore the screams from the fan base.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
CT Bronco Fan
Team Leader
Veteran

jaffe is right, Red Zone offense is pretty easy when all you had to do was hand the ball to TD lol.

And Shanny could go 0 - 16 this year, and he would not be in any jeopardy of being fired.

This is the first season in awhile that I really have no clue what to expect from the Broncos this year. The O-line scares me to be honest, I'm not sure if they are going to be good enough to keep a solid run game. Clady has looked pretty good though so far in pre-season.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
This is the first season in awhile that I really have no clue what to expect from the Broncos this year. The O-line scares me to be honest, I'm not sure if they are going to be good enough to keep a solid run game. Clady has looked pretty good though so far in pre-season.
I think the OL will be okay. Better in pass protect than run blocking, though.

Moving the ball shouldn't be a problem - it's the defense that has me worried. According to the new depth chart, Nate Webster is our starting MLB... which pretty much means we're ******.