Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which defense is the most effective?
4-3 26 37.14%
3-4 26 37.14%
Cover 2 13 18.57%
Other/Specify 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Wyndham hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There's no right answer. "When you have the ideal personnel," all formations will work.

A 3-4 with a dominant NT anchoring the line and powerful, explosive edge rushes to pressure the QB, or a cover-two with a penetrating DT, quick ends and mobile 'backers and DBs ... it doesn't matter. The key is having that personnel.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Cover 2 is a play. Tampa 2 is a scheme. The Colts, Bucs, and Lions probably will run the purest forms of the Tampa 2 this year.
Exactly. The Colts' favorite play on defense is actually a Weakside Cover 3. They'll come out in a Cover Two look, then before the ball is snapped, FS Bob Sanders will move down into the box to defend the run/weakside curl-flat area, while SS Bethea will rotate over the top to defend the deep middle. The Colts really only run Cover Two on third and long situations.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most Tampa 2 teams run a ton more Cover 3 than Cover 2 nowadays. Mainly bc they need 8 in the box to stuff the run, so your options on 1st and 2nd down are limited.

Cover 2 has almost become a 3rd and long play. Its rarely used by Tampa 2 teams on running downs.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
You can buy play books on ebay?
yeah, old playbooks that are obsolete. look it up, youll be amazed at what you can find.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Tragically bad you say? You mean like setting a record for most games without a touchdown bad?
I've already outlined how the Ravens offense was superior to the Eagles offense in pretty much every way.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Exactly. The Colts' favorite play on defense is actually a Weakside Cover 3. They'll come out in a Cover Two look, then before the ball is snapped, FS Bob Sanders will move down into the box to defend the run/weakside curl-flat area, while SS Bethea will rotate over the top to defend the deep middle. The Colts really only run Cover Two on third and long situations.
Wow, props for recognizing that, very true, Sanders is too much of a force in the short field to send him deep too often, but sometimes he does just read and react (i.e. his AFC Title saving 3rd and 4 play, I don't think he had the short responsibility).

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
yeah, old playbooks that are obsolete. look it up, youll be amazed at what you can find.
Well, I know what will be on my birthday/christmas list.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

gimme a 3-4 with LT coming off the edge and I'd win every game and murder QB's.

I like the versatility of a 3-4. I like having the speed rushers coming off the edge killing QB's. THe element of surprise. You never know who the 4th rusher is or where he's gonna come from. With a good DC, and personel, you can confuse the **** out of offenses and go nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Wyndham on this one and say they all work just as effectively, when you have the right personnel.

If you have humongous, athletic linemen with pass rush potential in a 3-4, you can throw around some over-sized LB's back there and just let them go crazy blitzing. I think we can all agree that that is the key to a successful 3-4 defense. The linemen. The reason the Patriots defense for a while looked so damn impressive is because of Warren, Seymour and Wilfork. They're all studs in that defense, and they make their old ass LB's look good.

In the 4-3, again, if you have great defensive line play you can make anything work. The Giants are the best example of that. Great pass rushers, solid LB's, and their secondary was pretty ugly at times, but they weren't exposed as much (only when T.O played them) because of the rush.

All in all, with the right personnel, you can play anything and be good at it.

Heck, you can run a 1-3-7 defense if you have Calais Campbell gain 50 lbs and take on Quadriple teams at the L.O.S...