Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigle9
Assume the very best case scenario happens and you were in charge, how would your day one go?

1. LaRon Landry - Justin Blalock
2. Robert Meachum - Michael Griffin
3. Mason Crosby - Johnnie Lee Higgins
If had to toss out a draft with some guys falling up to a round at most ......

1. Marshawn Lynch
2. Jarvis Moss
3. Ben Grubbs
4. Anthony Gonzalez
5. Tyrone Moss
6. Steve Breaston
7. Justin Medlock

But anyway.....
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we bring in a safety in the first round...Roy better be playing Rover in the nickle...that way Watkins still holds good value for this team.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
If we bring in a safety in the first round...Roy better be playing Rover in the nickle...that way Watkins still holds good value for this team.
Unless Roy drastically improves his pass coverage, even if we do this, we will see play action or simply pass on first and second down all season with TEs ripping off 20 yards a pop.

All safeties in the league, today, must be able to cover some. Look at the Indy and Baltimore game today. A pleasure to watch the SS and FS play in that game.

I watched last weeks game again and it is putrid what Roy give this team outside the LOS. Perfume on a pig is still a pig.

By way of stats -- 10 out of the 25 TD passes we gave up this season went to the TE or RB. 40% of the total. The NFL Average is 20%. 20% represents 5 TDs.

Take out 5 TDs from the TE and RB total of 10 and we only give up 20 TDs. If so we magically hit the NFL average of giving up 20 TDs per season or 1.26 TD per game via the air as opposed to the 1.56 we gave up in actuality.

The math was interesting because it shows we give up the same amount of TDs via the air to WRs (in comparison to all other NFL teams) but we give up TWICE as many TDs to FBs and TEs in comparison to other teams.

Anyway. That is the LB and SS responsibility.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I been flip-flopping on what we should do in the 1st round this year, but watching Ed Reed today makes it easy to see that a versitle, speedy and high impact safety can really make a defense. I love Roy, and don't want him to go anywhere, but if we could add a guy who can just be not only a ballhawk, but a center fielder next to Roy, our defense could go to that next level, to the upper tier of Defenses in the league. And I just don't see that in Watkins, I know it's way to early to even say he doesn't have it, but if we have a chance to trade up for Nelson, I would do it in a heart beat. Maybe with Thule's proposal of trading a 1st and a 2nd. Landry and Griffin are great players, but I think Reggie Nelson can make a huge impact for our team.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I been flip-flopping on what we should do in the 1st round this year, but watching Ed Reed today makes it easy to see that a versitle, speedy and high impact safety can really make a defense. I love Roy, and don't want him to go anywhere, but if we could add a guy who can just be not only a ballhawk, but a center fielder next to Roy, our defense could go to that next level, to the upper tier of Defenses in the league. And I just don't see that in Watkins, I know it's way to early to even say he doesn't have it, but if we have a chance to trade up for Nelson, I would do it in a heart beat. Maybe with Thule's proposal of trading a 1st and a 2nd. Landry and Griffin are great players, but I think Reggie Nelson can make a huge impact for our team.
The best safety combination for the Cowboys does not include Roy in any way shape or form.

Maybe in 2007 he drops some pounds and work very hard on coverage but as of last week......
Old 01-13-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
The best safety combination for the Cowboys does not include Roy in any way shape or form.

Maybe in 2007 he drops some pounds and work very hard on coverage but as of last week......
I dont really think it has that much to do with his weight, sure he could add a little more speed. But have you seen the angles he takes towards the reciever or tight end? Its disgusting, he needs to re-learn everything about covering the passing game.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbigbody
Quote:
Quote:

I dont really think it has that much to do with his weight, sure he could add a little more speed. But have you seen the angles he takes towards the reciever or tight end? Its disgusting, he needs to re-learn everything about covering the passing game.
Rough watching Roy play in space. He looks no better than an ILB.

More speed always helps. Better technique always helps too.

No FS is going to save Roy unless Roy saves himself. No owner/GM. No DC either.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Smardjia or Gonzalez?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Smardjia or Gonzalez?
I've always been a bigger fan of the possession receivers then I am of speedy ones. Smardja
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Smardjia or Gonzalez?
is shark boy even coming out or is he going to play baseball?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we'll pick a WR I think we're going after Jarrett (Parcells big type of receiver), Samardzjia (Parcells connection with Weis) or Bowe/Davis (Parcells seems to draft every year an LSU prospect).. I would really like Bowe, with some talent at WR we can hope he can slip to #54 pick..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:10 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a fan of Bowe, but I don't think he'll be there at 54. Davis will, but a I think if we want Bowe, we'll have to trade up.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anybody else see the quotes by zimmer?

we couldn't cover anybody for four weeks," Zimmer added. "Teams were spreading it out on us, and we were attempting to stay in base coverage."

Why? After a long pause, Zimmer said, "[b]I don't have an answer for that[

Asked what he would have changed, scheme-wise, for next season -- Big Bill permitting, of course -- Zimmer said, "create more problems for the offense and get more DBs in there for coverage."

sounds like maybe zimmer was handcuffed in alot of areas.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces

we couldn't cover anybody for four weeks," Zimmer added. "Teams were spreading it out on us, and we were attempting to stay in base coverage."

Asked what he would have changed, scheme-wise, for next season -- Big Bill permitting, of course -- Zimmer said, "create more problems for the offense and get more DBs in there for coverage."

Sounds like excuses.

What scares me about the comment is it funny how fans want to believe Parcells is a football idiot and some how his assistants are brilliant.

What I saw as well as other teams was a SS who can't cover and an ILB who forgot (James) how to cover.

However, if "get more DB in there" means bench Bradie and Roy. Sure, great idea. Should have been implemented in traing camp, not in week 12.

BTW, anyone see the pitch called by Peyton to Bush that resulted in a fumble last night which almost cost New Orleans the game if not for the resulting false start penalty called later on versus the Eagles? That was Joe Pisarcik territory but REFs had a big hand in covering it up.

But hey, Romo catches the snap and we talking a whole new ball game. Glenn does not fumble and we are playing today.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
Quote:
Smardjia or Gonzalez?
is shark boy even coming out or is he going to play baseball?
Dunno but I would love to get one of those 6'5++ receivers to improve our red zone Offense and give us a shot at jump balls.

Smadzjia in the late second would be a steal and I hate ND players.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
$KidCowboy$
Rookie

$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.$KidCowboy$ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Cowboys cornerback Anthony Henry could get a look at free safety next season, team owner Jerry Jones said on Friday. The Cowboys have struggled to find consistency there since Darren Woodson's retirement"

Henry played FS his first 3 years of college

If we do, we NEED to either pick up someone like Samuel of draft a CB first day. I feel like that should be in a lot of mocks but isn't.

Thanks Tobzilla
$KidCowboy$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote="cowboysforever"]
Quote:

Sounds like excuses.

What scares me about the comment is it funny how fans want to believe Parcells is a football idiot and some how his assistants are brilliant.

What I saw as well as other teams was a SS who can't cover and an ILB who forgot (James) how to cover.

However, if "get more DB in there" means bench Bradie and Roy. Sure, great idea. Should have been implemented in traing camp, not in week 12.

BTW, anyone see the pitch called by Peyton to Bush that resulted in a fumble last night which almost cost New Orleans the game if not for the resulting false start penalty called later on versus the Eagles? That was Joe Pisarcik territory but REFs had a big hand in covering it up.

But hey, Romo catches the snap and we talking a whole new ball game. Glenn does not fumble and we are playing today.[/quot

well i dont think parcells is a football idiot, but you have to question why we are in a base defense against 4 or 5 wr sets. also why we are not using 4 or 5 wide sets against seattle? they were banged up and picking up players off the street. we have great receivers and te but we stay in a base offense most of the game. to me we should have opened it up more. we did only score one td against a mediocre defense. to me we didnt use our mismatches the way n.o. used their mismatches against us. that screams coaching.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
DaRkNiGht08
Rookie

DaRkNiGht08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is insane.

I agree on the fact that We are overreacting on our FS situation.
People are forgetting We signed Parrish; that guy is a beast and a hardworker. We have Watkins who was actually getting along towards the end of the season. Drafting a rookie would mean starting over.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
DaRkNiGht08
Rookie

DaRkNiGht08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What happens if Parcells retires.

Where do we go?
Do we stay in the 3-4 base?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkNiGht08
What happens if Parcells retires.

Where do we go?
Do we stay in the 3-4 base?
yeah we are staying 3-4. i think parcells comes back for another year but if he does leave wade phillips and norv turners names have been mentioned.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkNiGht08
This is insane.

I agree on the fact that We are overreacting on our FS situation.
People are forgetting We signed Parrish; that guy is a beast and a hardworker. We have Watkins who was actually getting along towards the end of the season. Drafting a rookie would mean starting over.
Well, I guess you're right. Parrish (who's 30) was so awesome last year. He did so well that he lost his job and then got cut from a mediocre team. What a stud...

Though I do agree that drafting a new one is not the answer.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

wow another comment on how seattle was shocked we didnt try to go upfield more. how we played close to the vest. just amazing. we should be in chicago right now. seattles d.b.s look terrible.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

[quote="pocketaces"]
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like excuses.

But hey, Romo catches the snap and we talking a whole new ball game. Glenn does not fumble and we are playing today.[/quot

well i dont think parcells is a football idiot, but you have to question why we are in a base defense against 4 or 5 wr sets. also why we are not using 4 or 5 wide sets against seattle? they were banged up and picking up players off the street. we have great receivers and te but we stay in a base offense most of the game. to me we should have opened it up more. we did only score one td against a mediocre defense. to me we didnt use our mismatches the way n.o. used their mismatches against us. that screams coaching.
I watched the games and I can not remember being in base D when teams went 4 wide. 3 wide yes. I can remember.

As I said, 40% of our TDs via air to TE and FBs. 20% rest of league. The FB TD where all (ALL) to the left side.

I think that stat is going un appreciated by the football folks here.

This is a problem directly related to the Roy Williams and Bradie James.