Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Clinton Hart's New Deal

What do you guys think? I think he's effective, if not spectacular. He's the run stopper to Eric Weddle's ballhawk. I think this shows that the Chargers are leaning toward OT in the draft.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

He's pretty good but nothing special in either the run or passing game. I doubt that his signing will stop us from drafting a safety in the first if a guy like Phillips is the bpa. Weddle is much better against the run than he is because Hart misses a ridiculous amount of tackles.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only impact this might have is if they have to choose between Cherilus and Smith... After Smiths pro day im not so high on him anymore. If Phillips is available then Phillips is the obvious choice but since they slapped a 5 year deal on Hart I would choose Cherilus over Smith at this point. Bottom line Harts deal not a big deal adds depth if anything...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
KRS1
Rookie

KRS1 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think you guys are exactly right. Hart's deal looks like basically a reward. Most of the money is front loaded so after the 1st year the other 4 are base salary years where he could be easily let go or kept at a low cap number for depth. Sounds like another great contract by AJ Smith that will fly under the radar. I still think Phillips if there is the pick.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
zdh87
Rookie

zdh87 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As history indicates, AJ is not averse to drafting in the first round for depth a la Antonio Cromartie, Craig Davis), and also has shown that he is willing to cut players with whom he just resigned (Shane Olivea); however, I get the feeling with the amount of playing time he received and the aforementioned lack of talent at RT, Cherilus will be the pick if he's available. Or trade the pick, as most who read this forum know would be my preference over anything.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this move. I see Hart as a weak link in an otherwise devastating defense. Well, ok, their inside LB's aren't exactly scaring anybody either, but given the system it isn't a glaring need.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I don't know, I'm not so huge on Clinton Hart, but it obviously means AJ is very confident in our two safeties. I think that means we're looking for a nickelback, or an OT as opposed to a safety in round one, which I'm a little disapointed about. Hopefully it was D-Flo making him look bad, but Hart was repeatedly picked on by both the Colts and Pats in the playoffs.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will add this: Clinton did state in an interview after his deal that he's really trying to improve and clean up his game. I'm pretty sure that translates into "I know I missed a bunch of tackles. No more."

Whether it happens or not, who knows. I'd still do backflips for Kenny Phillips, but I think we can win a Super Bowl with Weddle/Hart as the starting safeties.
CC.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK17 View Post
I don't know, I'm not so huge on Clinton Hart, but it obviously means AJ is very confident in our two safeties. I think that means we're looking for a nickelback, or an OT as opposed to a safety in round one, which I'm a little disapointed about. Hopefully it was D-Flo making him look bad, but Hart was repeatedly picked on by both the Colts and Pats in the playoffs.
You hit the nail right on the head with this one.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

Oliver's move to safety is a negative imo. They're spinning like he's more physically suited for the position, but it really means that they don't feel he has the speed/burst to play corner. Really, how often do teams convert cbs to safety?
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 AM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHulka View Post
Oliver's move to safety is a negative imo. They're spinning like he's more physically suited for the position, but it really means that they don't feel he has the speed/burst to play corner. Really, how often do teams convert cbs to safety?
Here and there. I think Corey Chavous is a coverted safety, and has been for a while. Of course Ronnie Lott played corner his first season with the 49ers (and was damn good) then was moved to safety.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
bergo23
Rookie

bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.bergo23 could make a wolverine purr.
Default looks like he's worked hard this offseason

He was interviewed at Minicamp, and was YOKED!!!! I hope his low mileage on "the football and contact" tires can translate into another solid season and production well into his 30's. I really think Hart and Weddle will blossom together this year. There certainly aren't any holes left in our secondary!!!
bergo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:15 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergo23 View Post
He was interviewed at Minicamp, and was YOKED!!!! I hope his low mileage on "the football and contact" tires can translate into another solid season and production well into his 30's. I really think Hart and Weddle will blossom together this year. There certainly aren't any holes left in our secondary!!!
Next year we'll use our first rounder on a dimeback.
CC.SD is online now   Reply With Quote