Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkNiGht08
This is insane.

I agree on the fact that We are overreacting on our FS situation.
People are forgetting We signed Parrish; that guy is a beast and a hardworker. We have Watkins who was actually getting along towards the end of the season. Drafting a rookie would mean starting over.
Agree, rather we upgrade the Offense with a starter then get a back up or specialty player for the D.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Did Aikman ALSO say that if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we win the game?

Playoff football is so close that you have to be able to execute with pressure or get lots of breaks.

Has anyone watched the games this weekend? Perfect evidence of this fact. You can not have fumbled FG snaps and end zone fumbles and expect to win.

The fact Sean Peyton got away with a missed block on a Punt (which should have been blocked) then got a first down AND the fact Peyton made a horrid pitch call that should have turned into points for Philly says it all to me. LUCK matters if you make mistakes.

Teams are too close in talent and it goes to BP's saying (rightly) that a mentally tough team who does not make mistakes will win more than their fair share of games.

The Dallas Cowboys 2006 where neither mentally tough nor played mistake free nor got lucky. In fact every big call this season went against them.

So, again, if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we are playing today. That is called good coaching to me.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Did Aikman ALSO say that if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we win the game?

Playoff football is so close that you have to be able to execute with pressure or get lots of breaks.

Has anyone watched the games this weekend? Perfect evidence of this fact. You can not have fumbled FG snaps and end zone fumbles and expect to win.

The fact Sean Peyton got away with a missed block on a Punt (which should have been blocked) then got a first down AND the fact Peyton made a horrid pitch call that should have turned into points for Philly says it all to me. LUCK matters if you make mistakes.

Teams are too close in talent and it goes to BP's saying (rightly) that a mentally tough team who does not make mistakes will win more than their fair share of games.

The Dallas Cowboys 2006 where neither mentally tough nor played mistake free nor got lucky. In fact every big call this season went against them.

So, again, if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we are playing today. That is called good coaching to me.
the fact that our team did not exploit their weekness is bad coaching. did you forget that we returned a kickoff for a touchdown in that game? if not for that we probably are never in position to win. our offense sucked that game and there were no adjustments. if you want a predictable offense and not give our best players a chance to make plays..then i guess youve got it.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Also, bartering (player for player) in the NFL is hard because it is difficult to reconcile contracts for value -- for the reasons you point out.

Most trades are for Draft picks b/c it is easier to use Draft Picks as a store of player value.

Same reason we use pieces of paper (money) as an exchange mechanism for goods and services.

But if you find players with similar contract values -- you can trade. Evidence the NBA where trades many times require matching contract sizes and duration.

Anyway, this is too complicated for most fans to understand and made impossilbe unless you have the NFL Commish's office database of contracts and how THAT office decides they are going to amortize the contract -- cuz they have final say.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Did Aikman ALSO say that if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we win the game?

Playoff football is so close that you have to be able to execute with pressure or get lots of breaks.

Has anyone watched the games this weekend? Perfect evidence of this fact. You can not have fumbled FG snaps and end zone fumbles and expect to win.

The fact Sean Peyton got away with a missed block on a Punt (which should have been blocked) then got a first down AND the fact Peyton made a horrid pitch call that should have turned into points for Philly says it all to me. LUCK matters if you make mistakes.

Teams are too close in talent and it goes to BP's saying (rightly) that a mentally tough team who does not make mistakes will win more than their fair share of games.

The Dallas Cowboys 2006 where neither mentally tough nor played mistake free nor got lucky. In fact every big call this season went against them.

So, again, if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we are playing today. That is called good coaching to me.
the fact that our team did not exploit their weekness is bad coaching. did you forget that we returned a kickoff for a touchdown in that game? if not for that we probably are never in position to win. our offense sucked that game and there were no adjustments. if you want a predictable offense and not give our best players a chance to make plays..then i guess youve got it.
You should not have to make "offensive" plays up 20-13 with the ball with 6 minutes or so left in the game.

Fact, Glenn and Romo don't fumble I am watching the Cowboys today and no one is talking play calling.

Just like if Peyton's half brain pitch which was fumbled by Bush is not a topic of conversation b/c the REF prevented the Eagles from logging that first down on 4th and 10.

I am not disagreeing with your point that play calling (coulda, shoulda, mighta) but that is what it is and WHAT HAPPENS IN THE GAME is more important in the outcome than WHAT MIGHTA COULD AND SHOULDA.

You guys have very thin skin when folks present alternatives. I guess you just want to hear everyone saying the same thing.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
Whatever?

As I said before, it would be nice if you said. "Yup, you are right. I am wrong. That makes it easier. Even if I disagree on the ultimate premise of trading Roy." and leave it at that.

Instead, you blow off facts and sit tight on the same conclusion. Very stubborn.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
By the way, Roy is tradable. Just ain't getting much more than a 3rd or 4th and the team needs to really want a "Rover" type player or desperately want an WOLB in the 4-3.

Player for player alternatives require knowing more about contracts but I am sure there are more than a few.

What Jerry really thinks I dunno cuz it is in his best interest to defend Roy and ultimately defend his trade value in the open market AT ALL COST.

It would be like me trying to sell my business and bad mouthing it to potential buyers. Whatever opinions you have you keep them silent and present the best possible case for the player.

This is reality.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Did Aikman ALSO say that if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we win the game?

Playoff football is so close that you have to be able to execute with pressure or get lots of breaks.

Has anyone watched the games this weekend? Perfect evidence of this fact. You can not have fumbled FG snaps and end zone fumbles and expect to win.

The fact Sean Peyton got away with a missed block on a Punt (which should have been blocked) then got a first down AND the fact Peyton made a horrid pitch call that should have turned into points for Philly says it all to me. LUCK matters if you make mistakes.

Teams are too close in talent and it goes to BP's saying (rightly) that a mentally tough team who does not make mistakes will win more than their fair share of games.

The Dallas Cowboys 2006 where neither mentally tough nor played mistake free nor got lucky. In fact every big call this season went against them.

So, again, if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we are playing today. That is called good coaching to me.
the fact that our team did not exploit their weekness is bad coaching. did you forget that we returned a kickoff for a touchdown in that game? if not for that we probably are never in position to win. our offense sucked that game and there were no adjustments. if you want a predictable offense and not give our best players a chance to make plays..then i guess youve got it.
You should not have to make "offensive" plays up 20-13 with the ball with 6 minutes or so left in the game.

Fact, Glenn and Romo don't fumble I am watching the Cowboys today and no one is talking play calling.

Just like if Peyton's half brain pitch which was fumbled by Bush is not a topic of conversation b/c the REF prevented the Eagles from logging that first down on 4th and 10.

I am not disagreeing with your point that play calling (coulda, shoulda, mighta) but that is what it is and WHAT HAPPENS IN THE GAME is more important in the outcome than WHAT MIGHTA COULD AND SHOULDA.

You guys have very thin skin when folks present alternatives. I guess you just want to hear everyone saying the same thing.
no your right the offensive plays should have come much sooner than 6 min or so left in the game. thin skin? the only one with thin skin is you when almighty bill gets 2nd guessed. the fact that you only claim 2 drafts belong to bill in his 4 years here is just a joke. the fact that he hasnt won a playoff game in 4 years or that his record is barely over .500 in 4 years but yet you keep defending him is a joke. dont get me wrong i like bill but he hasnt produced in dallas. end of story. if he retires his time here will be considered a failure. i hope he comes back for 1 more year but he needs to make changes and open things up.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
Whatever?

As I said before, it would be nice if you said. "Yup, you are right. I am wrong. That makes it easier. Even if I disagree on the ultimate premise of trading Roy." and leave it at that.

Instead, you blow off facts and sit tight on the same conclusion. Very stubborn.
right about what? im saying roy will not be traded you are wrong.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
hahaha aikman just said dallas had chances against this seattle secondary but never went after them.
Did Aikman ALSO say that if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we win the game?

Playoff football is so close that you have to be able to execute with pressure or get lots of breaks.

Has anyone watched the games this weekend? Perfect evidence of this fact. You can not have fumbled FG snaps and end zone fumbles and expect to win.

The fact Sean Peyton got away with a missed block on a Punt (which should have been blocked) then got a first down AND the fact Peyton made a horrid pitch call that should have turned into points for Philly says it all to me. LUCK matters if you make mistakes.

Teams are too close in talent and it goes to BP's saying (rightly) that a mentally tough team who does not make mistakes will win more than their fair share of games.

The Dallas Cowboys 2006 where neither mentally tough nor played mistake free nor got lucky. In fact every big call this season went against them.

So, again, if Glenn and Romo don't fumble we are playing today. That is called good coaching to me.
the fact that our team did not exploit their weekness is bad coaching. did you forget that we returned a kickoff for a touchdown in that game? if not for that we probably are never in position to win. our offense sucked that game and there were no adjustments. if you want a predictable offense and not give our best players a chance to make plays..then i guess youve got it.
You should not have to make "offensive" plays up 20-13 with the ball with 6 minutes or so left in the game.

Fact, Glenn and Romo don't fumble I am watching the Cowboys today and no one is talking play calling.

Just like if Peyton's half brain pitch which was fumbled by Bush is not a topic of conversation b/c the REF prevented the Eagles from logging that first down on 4th and 10.

I am not disagreeing with your point that play calling (coulda, shoulda, mighta) but that is what it is and WHAT HAPPENS IN THE GAME is more important in the outcome than WHAT MIGHTA COULD AND SHOULDA.

You guys have very thin skin when folks present alternatives. I guess you just want to hear everyone saying the same thing.
no your right the offensive plays should have come much sooner than 6 min or so left in the game. thin skin? the only one with thin skin is you when almighty bill gets 2nd guessed. the fact that you only claim 2 drafts belong to bill in his 4 years here is just a joke. the fact that he hasnt won a playoff game in 4 years or that his record is barely over .500 in 4 years but yet you keep defending him is a joke. dont get me wrong i like bill but he hasnt produced in dallas. end of story. if he retires his time here will be considered a failure. i hope he comes back for 1 more year but he needs to make changes and open things up.
2 Drafts are BP. Other 2 are Jerry. I have presented my analysis and facts to support my conclusion.

You can disagree all you want but remember Jeff Ireland was named the Director of Scouting in 2005 after Larry Lacewell (a Jerra Guy) was canned. Also remember, 2003 BP was over ruled on the Newman versus
K Williams dialogue.

Let me show data to support my point .... 2004 last draft for Jerrra and Larry Lacewell... courtesy Pro Football Weekly.

Feb. 26, 2004

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fielded questions last week about the unknown whereabouts of his head coach, Bill Parcells, at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last week, and it turns out that Parcells was not, as some media had joked, vacationing in the Bahamas. “(He’s) watching film. I was very surprised at how short a break that he felt that he needed (after the season). He's just spending all of his time being fed film and looking at film and looking at players.” Jones and Parcells are preparing for what will be a busy offseason for the team, which reportedly had entered discussions with Tampa Bay for WR Keyshawn Johnson in a trade for WR Joey Galloway, who possesses a high cap figure. Jones hinted that the team has several areas of need it will address, and their favorable cap situation makes that process easier.


Now one year later

Jan. 10, 2005

Bill Parcells has indicated that major changes are coming this offseason, and two early moves indicate no one should feel safe. In addition to scouting director Larry Lacewell, who ran the team’s drafts for the past 11 years, stepping down, Parcells let OL coach George Warhop go. DL coach Kacy Rogers and LB coach Gary Gibbs could be the next to be fired or could take jobs elsewhere. Of the Cowboys’ unrestricted free agents, only QB Vinny Testaverde has a better-than-average chance of returning. With two first-round picks and as much as $20 million in cap space and needs on both sides of the ball, expect the personnel to have a vastly different look too. The primary needs include wide receiver, OL help, a reserve running back, DL and secondary help, but those needs could change if Parcells decides to switch to a 3-4 defense, as has been rumored. That might spell the end of Dexter Coakley’s run with the team because the veteran would be an expensive square peg in a round hole in that formation. It also would intensify the need for a nose tackle who can take up two gaps, with La’Roi Glover likely moving to end if the switch is made.


... And in that same year this ......

March 23, 2005

In another believed disagreement between coach and owner, the Cowboys’ two top decision-makers, head coach Bill Parcells and owner/GM Jerry Jones, the Cowboys won’t be sending MLB Dat Nguyen to the Saints in a proposed deal for pass rusher Darren Howard, a team source says. The two teams spoke last week, and the Saints reportedly asked the Cowboys for Nguyen in a swap of defensive players. Jones supposedly was more willing to relinquish Nguyen, but Parcells balked at giving up one of his most productive defenders, though Nguyen is coming off an unspectacular season. The irony is that Parcells always has favored bigger linebackers through the years, but he showed his affection for the smallish Nguyen two years ago by calling him a “football-playing dude.”



BP got control over player personnel and scouting when Lacewell was canned after the 6-10 season. He then got Ireland too. He finally got some power over Jerra following the 2004 season.

2005 we used most the draft picks to switch to the 3-4 which Zimmer did not want and the last two years are absolutely BP. Better or worse.

Facts. Conclusion. Period.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
Whatever?

As I said before, it would be nice if you said. "Yup, you are right. I am wrong. That makes it easier. Even if I disagree on the ultimate premise of trading Roy." and leave it at that.

Instead, you blow off facts and sit tight on the same conclusion. Very stubborn.
right about what? im saying roy will not be traded you are wrong.
So will he or won't he be traded? Should he or should he not?
What is your position on Roy? Play Jerra.

I am saying I dunno if he will. I am saying he should. I am saying the contract is a problem but not insurmountable. I am saying Jerra needs to say all the nice things about Roy in order protect his value. I am saying we don't know Jerra or BP's opinions on Roy Williams.

Right about what you ask? Right about the cap hit for his signing bonus being lower than you propose. Instead you blew it off with "whatever" and saying I am a know it all.

Incidentlly, roster bonuses are handled differently for amortization and cap purposes. Signing + salary are straight line versus life of contract.

Funny.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Parcells arrived in Dallas with a championship resume and a history of quickly rebuilding franchises. Jerry has given Parcells more control and authority than any coach since Johnson but has no banners or trophies to show for it.


Parcells, whose teams have faded in December each of the past two seasons, sounded like a coach searching for answers after the Cowboys lost for the third time in four games. Dallas had not lost consecutive games all season.

on parcells earlier this year.

"His intelligence is off the charts, and that's shown in how he's managed this team and the people on this team," Jerry said. "He's managed all of the moving parts we've had and put us in position for the last month.

we could do this all day. for you to think bill came here and not run the draft his first 2 years just shows your football ignorance. bill does not come here without control.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
Whatever?

As I said before, it would be nice if you said. "Yup, you are right. I am wrong. That makes it easier. Even if I disagree on the ultimate premise of trading Roy." and leave it at that.

Instead, you blow off facts and sit tight on the same conclusion. Very stubborn.
right about what? im saying roy will not be traded you are wrong.
So will he or won't he be traded? Should he or should he not?
What is your position on Roy? Play Jerra.

I am saying I dunno if he will. I am saying he should. I am saying the contract is a problem but not insurmountable. I am saying Jerra needs to say all the nice things about Roy in order protect his value. I am saying we don't know Jerra or BP's opinions on Roy Williams.

Right about what you ask? Right about the cap hit for his signing bonus being lower than you propose. Instead you blew it off with "whatever" and saying I am a know it all.

Funny.
no i was saying whatever to calling the n.f.l. thats funny. and you are a "know it all" which is why some people on here have called you a troll, wanted you banned, dont respond to you anymore ect ect... and we do know what bill and jerry think of roy because they just resigned him foe 25 mill. sounds like they like him.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Parcells arrived in Dallas with a championship resume and a history of quickly rebuilding franchises. Jerry has given Parcells more control and authority than any coach since Johnson but has no banners or trophies to show for it.
Since end of 04 season I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Parcells, whose teams have faded in December each of the past two seasons, sounded like a coach searching for answers after the Cowboys lost for the third time in four games. Dallas had not lost consecutive games all season.
And for this he does deserve to be bashed. As does the rest of the team and coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
we could do this all day. for you to think bill came here and not run the draft his first 2 years just shows your football ignorance. bill does not come here without control.
You are ignorant. You ignore history and facts. BP haters tend to do this.

To say BP had "control" when he came here is 100% WRONG and I can continue to prove it with facts.

You (as a few othes) just make things up, do not research anything, fabricate facts and then insult people with facts and informed opinions.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

heres parcells first draft with the cowboys again showing you dont know what your talking about lmao.

cowboysforever said d. Also remember, 2003 BP was over ruled on the Newman versus
K Williams dialogue.

in reality


There was no battle for supremacy in the Cowboys' draft room Saturday. Coach Bill Parcells and owner Jerry Jones got along just fine.

In his first draft with the Cowboys, Parcells would have preferred to trade down in the first round, stockpile picks and take a defensive tackle.

Jones was in full agreement, but no team wanted to make a deal.

So with the fifth pick of the NFL draft, the Cowboys grabbed Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman, the top-rated player on the draft board of at least 10 teams.

In the second and third rounds, the Cowboys added Wisconsin center Al Johnson and Tennessee tight end Jason Witten.

Parcells believes in strong offensive and defensive lines that can control games in the fourth quarter. A tight end has also been a key component of every team he's coached.

His impact on the draft was easy to see.

"Bill was very involved. He has tremendous respect from me, and I really do listen to his input," Jones said. "He influences the decisions that we make."

now im sure in your world this is just spin but clearly these are the facts
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ATL
Posts: 446
Reputation: 10
Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Parcells arrived in Dallas with a championship resume and a history of quickly rebuilding franchises. Jerry has given Parcells more control and authority than any coach since Johnson but has no banners or trophies to show for it.


Parcells, whose teams have faded in December each of the past two seasons, sounded like a coach searching for answers after the Cowboys lost for the third time in four games. Dallas had not lost consecutive games all season.

on parcells earlier this year.

"His intelligence is off the charts, and that's shown in how he's managed this team and the people on this team," Jerry said. "He's managed all of the moving parts we've had and put us in position for the last month.

we could do this all day. for you to think bill came here and not run the draft his first 2 years just shows your football ignorance. bill does not come here without control.
I agree. I don't think Parcells, at this stage in his coaching career, would go anywhere where he is not getting his players.
__________________


"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

oh theres still more

Make no mistake, draft day was different with Parcells, who had more input in the Cowboys' draft than any coach since Jimmy Johnson left after the 1993 season.

While the owner is still prone to occasional hyperbole, comparing some aspects of Newman's ability to that of Deion Sanders, Parcells simply said he hoped Newman would contribute at some point this season.

Jones, who normally uses his personal jet to fly the top draft choice to Dallas for a news conference, said he wasn't doing it this year because it was expensive to fuel the jet for a trip to New York to pick up Newman. Actually, Parcells asked Jones not to do it this year.
"I've never been part of bringing in a first-round draft choice immediately. I like to bring them all in together," Parcells said. "I don't care if they're drafted first or 300. None of that matters now."
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
cowboysforever found this info on roys contract and why he will not get traded.

Quick salary cap tutorial: For cap purposes, signing bonuses are pro-rated over the life of a contract, even though they are actually paid all in one year. This year Roy signed a 5-year deal worth $25.2 million with an $11.1 million signing bonus. So, pro-rating that out, Roy's signing bonus gives a cap hit of $2.22 million a year ($11.1M divided by 5). According to the NFLPA website, Roy's base salary this year was $585K, which means that although he was actually paid $11,685,000 this season, for the purposes of the salary cap he only counted $2,805,000 (base salary of $585,000 + $2.22M pro-rated portion of signing bonus).

Sounds great, right? Pay the player now, but don't use all your cap space. That's how the 'Skins sign those big FA deals every year. But the kicker is that as soon as the player in question is no longer on the team (whether it be due to being released, traded, retirement, whatever), the rest of the pro-rated portion of the bonus is accelerated into the current year for salary cap purposes.

So, again applying the real world numbers as they relate to RW: were he to be released or traded this off-season, the remainder ($8.88M) of his pro-rated signing bonus would count against our cap this year. That's why you never see big name trades in the NFL - if they've gotten paid, they're not getting traded, because no team is going to be willing to take the cap hit.

so knowing this i hope you stop the lets trade roy rants because as you can see it will never happen. was it a mistake to resign him? maybe but its done so lets move on.
Actually Pocket Aces, Roy's signing bonus is not amortized in a straight line. THE ENTIRE CONTRACT IS.

So this year was 5MM (25/5) versus the cap with 585K being base and the rest 4.6MM in signing.

So, the unamoritzed portion of Roy's signing bonus is more like 6MM.

Gotta understand this first before saying what can (and can not) be done.

So .... unless my source is wrong .....

That is why the GMs make those contracts that way -- front load signing bonus into the first few years of the contract and more base into the back.

It makes cutting players easier while giving players the up front money they want.
ok i guess you know more than anybody else. im just giving what other people think are the facts. if i told you the sky was blue im sure you would have an argument for that too if it did not fit your needs.
Call the NFL. They will explain to you how this is done. I did it -- so can you.

ENTIRE CONTRACT is straight line amortized. Not just signing bonus then the salary.
ummm o.k. whatever, i just gave you a complete rundown of his contract and you disagree so....8.8 mill or 6 mill either way its not going to happen.
Whatever?

As I said before, it would be nice if you said. "Yup, you are right. I am wrong. That makes it easier. Even if I disagree on the ultimate premise of trading Roy." and leave it at that.

Instead, you blow off facts and sit tight on the same conclusion. Very stubborn.
right about what? im saying roy will not be traded you are wrong.
So will he or won't he be traded? Should he or should he not?
What is your position on Roy? Play Jerra.

I am saying I dunno if he will. I am saying he should. I am saying the contract is a problem but not insurmountable. I am saying Jerra needs to say all the nice things about Roy in order protect his value. I am saying we don't know Jerra or BP's opinions on Roy Williams.

Right about what you ask? Right about the cap hit for his signing bonus being lower than you propose. Instead you blew it off with "whatever" and saying I am a know it all.

Funny.
no i was saying whatever to calling the n.f.l. thats funny. and you are a "know it all" which is why some people on here have called you a troll, wanted you banned, dont respond to you anymore ect ect... and we do know what bill and jerry think of roy because they just resigned him foe 25 mill. sounds like they like him.
The fact folks here claiming to ignore my posts says more of them than me. I will let my posting history speak for itself and calibrate my opnions based onfacts. Not feelings.

So you think we really understand what Jerra and BP think of Roy? After this season and its results (40% of TDs to TE and FB), I would not be so arrogant to repeat that by sourcing a contract signed in August that needed to be "better" than Adam Archuleta's. Remeber Archuleta, the bench guy in DC.

But you, certainly, are arrogant and a "know it all" as you say. You have no facts or analysis. Just data sparingly used to support the status quo opinions you read in the paper daily.

Again, funny. Luckily I get perverse enjoyment in dealing with folks like you.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
"Bill was very involved. He has tremendous respect from me, and I really do listen to his input," Jones said. "He influences the decisions that we make."
Nice. Thanks for proving my point with a Jerry Jones quote. You are a fool.

BTW, BP was ready to take K Williams at 5 that year.

BP also got ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO players for his 3-4.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 3,942
Reputation: 323954
pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

heres bill 2nd draft
Although the Cowboys didn't select one of the draft's top three runners – Oregon State's Steven Jackson, Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones or Michigan's Chris Perry – they did acquire a player who intrigued coach Bill Parcells.


The Cowboys picked Jones, in part, because Buffalo gave them an offer that was too good to refuse.

About 90 minutes before the Cowboys were supposed to make their first-round pick, Buffalo president/GM Tom Donahoe phoned the Cowboys and talked about giving Dallas its first-round pick next year in exchange for the 22nd pick Saturday.

Eventually, Donahoe offered Dallas second- and fifth-round picks in this draft and the first-round pick in 2005.

After making the deal, Jerry Jones and Parcells each smiled broadly as they stepped out of the draft room to munch on brisket, sausage and fajitas.

Parcells said there's no guarantee a running back will succeed in the NFL no matter where he's drafted, making it easier to pass on Jackson and Kevin Jones.

"In my experience, the running back position in the early picks has one of the highest rates of failure," Parcells said. "The best running back I ever coached [Curtis Martin] is a player we got in the third round."

The Cowboys liked Jackson and Kevin Jones, but didn't think either player was substantially better than Julius Jones.

now, keep spitting out what you think while i show you the facts.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,078
Reputation: 41
cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
Parcells arrived in Dallas with a championship resume and a history of quickly rebuilding franchises. Jerry has given Parcells more control and authority than any coach since Johnson but has no banners or trophies to show for it.


Parcells, whose teams have faded in December each of the past two seasons, sounded like a coach searching for answers after the Cowboys lost for the third time in four games. Dallas had not lost consecutive games all season.

on parcells earlier this year.

"His intelligence is off the charts, and that's shown in how he's managed this team and the people on this team," Jerry said. "He's managed all of the moving parts we've had and put us in position for the last month.

we could do this all day. for you to think bill came here and not run the draft his first 2 years just shows your football ignorance. bill does not come here without control.
I agree. I don't think Parcells, at this stage in his coaching career, would go anywhere where he is not getting his players.
Not now but in 2003 he took it for the money as ALL BP HATERS like to remind us every chance they take.

Today, after re-stocking the bank account would he bow to an idiot GM like Jerra? No. He either gets what he wants or quits.

But 2007 is not the same as 2003.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.