Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with Dallas's defense was

1. weak dline
2. still couldnt defend the pass.

theyve taken steps to fixing that though. Roy Williams is all but finished in Dallas, and they added 2 very good CBs to their roster. So #2 shouldnt be an issue anymore.

#1 could still be a concern, at least in the base 3-4. I think in a 4man nickel dline, theyll be great with Ware and Spencer on the edges, and perhaps use Ellis the way we used Tuck.

Or if i remember correctly, they used a nickel 335 package with Ellis at RE, and Ware and Spencer as rushbackers. That was effective.

But their base 3-4 dline is still a cause for concern.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i also expect Wade to introduce more of his 46 principles to the D this year and bring the heat even more with that CB trio he'll have on the field.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Whoa, D. Huge money deals to Flozell, Barber, TO, Newman, and Hamlin. Those are all calculated risks.

1. Flozell and TO are no spring chickens, obviously. Newman will be 30 this September, but he still has some good years left in him.
2. Barber plays one of the most unpredictable positions and the 'boys already drafted Felix Jones and Tashard Choice. I would have let Barber walk and invest in the receiving core, especially as I'm not crazy about extending TO.
3. Hamlin looks like a revelation compared to the substandard safeties they've had in recent years, we'll see how good he will be the next few years.

1. Yes Flozell and TO are old, but TO will be playing until he is 38 like Tim Brown and Joey Galloway, so thats money well spent, should be no complains there...Flozell I thought would be let go but he is the anchor on that left side and he protects Romo's blind side, we already know how important that position is.

2. So because we drafted Choice and Jones we should of let Barber walk? Lol thats terrible logic, if you have the money to keep a young pro bowl talented RB who can do everything for you why not pay him? I can't wait until Jacobs gets a huge deal to see what you guys think, Barber pass protects with the best of them, if an excellent safety valve for Romo in the passing game, great short yardage and goal line back, uses vision and patience, he is alot more valuable to our team then outsiders have any clue I can promise you that...Just like Kevin Faulk does all the little things for the Pats, Barber does all of those things for us, obviously we needed to add a speed back, but if you think it would of been smarter for a team in our position to let Barber walk, and roll with two rookies I have to put your judgement into question.

That sounds more like a move you would wish to happen so we aren't as good, more so a move you think would be smart for Dallas to make.

Again, I will listen to people gripe about us spending money the minute we can't afford to sign somebody...Maybe we did put ourselves in a situation where he can't unload on a FA WR, if thats the case so be it...We had a very good offense last year without one and I've came to the conclusion that it would be nice to have one, but certainly not necessary to win the Super Bowl...I would rather lock up all our young talent(which we are doing) and keep the team together, I'm not worried about spending huge money on a WR that isn't going to make our team better then Canty or Hamlin will.

Some people just need more excuses to complain about something Dallas does(not you), and I hope everyone gets their hopes up that Jerry is stupid enough to overspend to where he cannot afford Ware, I'd love that dream if I was a fan of any other team also...We spent money, but each signing was very important, and each and every guy earned the money they were given.

The only 2 I didn't agree with were Flozell and Newman, but Flozell was easy to see him come back if we didn't have faith in the guys on our team, and T-New we obviously wanted to retire a Cowboy, and he earned every penny of that deal, he played hurt and in pain last year and had an excellent season...All I see is people complaing about the money we spent when other teams let their guys proceed to sign the Tender, get disgruntled, cause a media frenzy during the season, only to walk and let that talent go for free after this year because their fed up with the organization...It's about time we do things the right way, with the contracts we have expiring soon we will be fine, its been said, but Jerry knows how to work figures, he's not new to this, Canty will be locked up mid-season and Hamlin had a great year and stepped right in to be a leader on our defense in the secondary which was sorely needed, we are in a great position to not worry about any huge contracts for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i also expect Wade to introduce more of his 46 principles to the D this year and bring the heat even more with that CB trio he'll have on the field.
They have said that with the new CB's they are going to be able to bring more guys on the blitz. Apparently they have a package where Hamlin is the only S on the field (roy isn't even at linebacker) with all Corners and heavy blitzing.

Also, Ware had a good number of hurries where he was a step away from a sack. If the Secondary can improve by .5-1 second, I would expect our sack totals to go up.

I think Spencer needs to see the field more than Ellis too.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not saying I'd take Hamlin over Sanders...haven't seen enough of Sanders...but why is using things like DPOY seen as a legit thing? Especially since most of the people saying Sanders was DPOY just might turn around in another thread and say he didn't deserve it over guys like Ware, Kerney, Allen...whoever else...

Personally, Sanders is overrated, Hamlin sounds and looks like a pretty good player, and either way Kerry Rhodes pwns all...
SenorGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:20 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Once you look into the situation its not nearly as bad as public perception makes it seem, we are close to the cap, but nowhere near cap hell what so ever...We re negotiated alot of deals that opened up alot of space nobody talks about(Davis and Romo), and again I fully expect Canty to be locked up at some point during the season.
Renegotiating deals if anything is worse from a "cap hell" standpoint. It creates room now by pushing the money back into the future.

Cap hell is basically impossible right now though, Snyder proves that. The cap is rising so much and probably set to rise so much again it will be a little while until player contracts catch up and make cap management truly meaningful again. A few teams should be very grateful right now their runs at the top are being extended due to an enhanced ability to retain their top end talent created as a result of the current league conditions.

Basically, either there will be a capless year where teams (I believe) can mass restructure/release without long term cap effects, or there will be a new CBA, likely pushing the salary cap even further, so there's little reason not to spend now.

Last edited by OzTitan : 07-16-2008 at 10:34 AM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well I did watch Hamlin intercept 5 passes and break up 15 passes last year. Sanders had what? 2 INTs and a measley 6 PBs? No wonder he is so elite. LMAO. Total tackle numbers doesn't substantiate your point. It's too reliant on other factors.
Ints can be overrated as well Deltha O'Neal had 10 in 2005 and nobody is saying he is a great CB.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The problem with Dallas's defense was

1. weak dline
2. still couldnt defend the pass.

theyve taken steps to fixing that though. Roy Williams is all but finished in Dallas, and they added 2 very good CBs to their roster. So #2 shouldnt be an issue anymore.

#1 could still be a concern, at least in the base 3-4. I think in a 4man nickel dline, theyll be great with Ware and Spencer on the edges, and perhaps use Ellis the way we used Tuck.

Or if i remember correctly, they used a nickel 335 package with Ellis at RE, and Ware and Spencer as rushbackers. That was effective.

But their base 3-4 dline is still a cause for concern.
You can have 5 champ baileys in the backfield and not be successful if you get no pass rush.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't be looking through everything since i've been gone for a bit, but i just wanted to chime in on this.

Next to DeMarcus Ware, Ken Hamlin was easily the most important player on our defense last year. He's worth every penny that was given to him, and we're lucky that he didn't hit the market to have that price inflated more than it already was. People wanna start comparing him to Bob Sanders because of the contract he got, which is a very silly thing to do. Most of the time production and importance take the back-seat when it comes to contract negotiations in favor of market value. That's the going rate now a days for stud safeties, so that's what we paid. Hamlin is Pro-Bowl caliber at whatever safety position he plays, which is a huge plus for us. There's some talent waiting at the FS position (Watkins, Brown), so if there was the need to slide him out to SS, there would be no production lost.

I'm happy this got done, and now we just need to wait for the re-signing of Canty and eventually Ware. Let's not forget that Ware isn't exactly playing for peanuts. He got a very nice signing bonus and his salary is very well off at the moment as well. Canty is the one that's picking up scraps when compared to other players of his caliber. It'll be absolutely important to lock him up before he sees Free-Agency, or else other teams will just inflate his value. With Canty and Ratliff on the line, the pressure from up front should be decent. Great re-signing overall.