Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
By the way CT, I like Bowe. I think Parcells may be keying on looking at Blalock, and Griffin.
Yeah I like all three prospects so it'll be interesting to see if Scott see's Bill talking with any players, or rather any Cowboy scouts talking with any of the players.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

I think the Cowboys need to go a speed position round 1 that is not WR. As pointed out WR is stocked this year. A FS who can man-up or a CB could be valuable in round 1. A Whitner type player who can maybe play CB but more suited for FS.

NT in round one may also make sense for the future -- need time to grow and learn that spot anyway -- but I like the Jenkins idea proposed since he may be cut to give us some pass rushing and rotate with Fergie.

I like the RB idea in 1 but only for AP or ML but think next year is better for RB talent and we already have good enough talent there.

OG is round 2 or 3 but and as mentioned we can't go crazy with Draft and FA because we have no place to put them. Some folks seem to want us to draft and sign like 3 OL. Sounds nuts. I would love to see Al Johnson at Center and Gurode back at Guard (Rivera bye bye) with a Guard via the draft.

Lastly, I think we got some young guys that could be valuable in trade. Burnett comes to mind as starting caliber guy who needs to play. I would even say if Briggs leaves the Bears I would trade Burnett straight up for thier Round 1 or next year round 1.

Overall though we have some really young guys who could bloom so I think we really need to go BPA unless the OL situation detriorates from here.... like we lose Colombo and Gurode. Then we are forced into draft OL round 1 if you ask me.

There is no other position on this team that I think is at risk for such deterioration that forces us into saying "we gotta do this" in round 1. We are drafting for strength.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
By the way CT, I like Bowe. I think Parcells may be keying on looking at Blalock, and Griffin.
Yeah I like all three prospects so it'll be interesting to see if Scott see's Bill talking with any players, or rather any Cowboy scouts talking with any of the players.
There is not one position of round 1 NEED unless the OL gets decimated in FA. Yet, we can improve everywhere by adding depth and going BPA.

What is wrong with Flozell, Kosier, McQuistan, Proctor, Al Johnson, Gurode, Colombo and maybe some rookie 2nd rounder like a Grubbs or Staley or Ugoh? Could be servicable line with some youth. Even if you lose Colombo or Proctor you go out and get a L Davis or Steinbach.

Use Round 1 for a CB/FS crossover player like Nelson or Leon Hall if he falls. Use Round 1 for a Moss or Moses if they are there. Use Round 1 for a Marshawn Lynch if he falls. There are a few others who will come down just because it always happens.

That is where we goround 1 I feel ... opportunistic.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

I think the Cowboys would be best going after DB or WR in round 1 because the value will be there.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
I think the Cowboys would be best going after DB or WR in round 1 because the value will be there.
Which WR do you think falls to 22 who is really a value pick? Honestly, the only value pick WR to me is CJ but that ain't happin at 22 or 10 or 5 as of now.

Meacham, Ginn, Jarrett all could be there but all look the same from a value perspective.

I suspect that other than Ginn (<4.3) you can replicate the WR Brand Name Players' combine numbers cheaper via later rounds.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

I feel like the value is there for Ted Ginn, Dwayne Jarrett, and Dwayne Bowe. Bowe would have been a much higher pick if not for the declaration of junior wide receivers.

Ginn has top end speed.

Jarrett is an ideal posession receiver.

Bowe has the most potential of about anybody in this draft.

This is a great WR class, and I'd be happy with any of them at our pick.

If Landry or Nelson is there though that would be a tough choice, but I still like Watkins no matter what the Cowboys decide to do.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Bowe but not at 22. I think he's going to be a pretty good player, but I don't feel like he'll ever be a top 10 WR in the NFL. I think he'll be a great #2 or a solid #1. I'd rather have Rice or Ginn or Jarrett. Shark, Bowe, Smith all are interchangible to me so if all three are there then go CB.

I really want to go CB in round 1 UNLESS a stud at LB / DT or OT drops for some odd reason. Since I don't think Joe Thomas is dropping past 5 (much less to 22) then OT is really not a sexy pick to me at 22, but you can't argue with a good big body if there is value.

I think the majority of the value will be at CB or FS if Landry or Nelson falls.

Of course, if CB is addressed in FA then this goes out the window.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let me also add that if Landry were to fall and the Cowboys drafted him, do not overlook the possibility that Roy Williams is the one being replaced long term, not the FS.

Landry could easily play either S position and be a very good player at either one.

Also, if we drafted Dwayne Wright in the 4th or so round I'd be very happy. He's a stud of a RB.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its safe to say that after today Samuel earned himself an even nicer paycheck. He showed me everything I want as a number 2 CB on our team. He isn't afraid to go for the big play...which is something our CB's have been lacking. Now if these Henry rumors are true...I want Samuel...sure he is a big ticket...but as agreed we will target one big guy in this FA period. He is my number 1 target in FA. Now whether we have a shot at him idk...but I liked this kid before the game..now I love him.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
I think its safe to say that after today Samuel earned himself an even nicer paycheck. He showed me everything I want as a number 2 CB on our team. He isn't afraid to go for the big play...which is something our CB's have been lacking. Now if these Henry rumors are true...I want Samuel...sure he is a big ticket...but as agreed we will target one big guy in this FA period. He is my number 1 target in FA. Now whether we have a shot at him idk...but I liked this kid before the game..now I love him.
I wish I could have hope for Samuels, but I know I'd just come away disappointed.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
I wish I could have hope for Samuels, but I know I'd just come away disappointed.
What one FA are you hoping?

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At this point I'm setting myself up to get hyped up over 3rd-5th Tier FA Signings. If we're lucky, we'll get one 2nd tier FA. That's how Bill does it.

Along the OL, I'm guessing... a guy like Mike Gandy, from Buffalo.

...maybe S Nick Harper from Indy... if not him, maybe we'll settle for a LB like Rob Morris.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 AM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of any of the NE Corners. I know Samuels is good. But that D really works hard at forcing high risk passes to the side lines through good safety and ILB play in the passing game. (anyone listening on Cowboys D staff). Makes playing corner much easier.

On another note if as someone said, we draft Roy Williams replacement in this draft (not sure why) then you should save the Cap Space to accelerate the amortization of the Roy Williams. Kosier, Marco Rivera contract bonuses and create cap room in 08 and 09 for the 2005 draftees.

If you have Cap space you can request the league accelerate the amortization of signing bonuses to on roster players. This lowers Cap hit in the future and gives team more real money to spend in the future too. That is part of the point to instituting the cap and mandatory spending on the NFL by the NFLPA.

Anyone look that cap idea up? I think it is doable.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At this point I'm setting myself up to get hyped up over 3rd-5th Tier FA Signings. If we're lucky, we'll get one 2nd tier FA. That's how Bill does it.

Along the OL, I'm guessing... a guy like Mike Gandy, from Buffalo.

...maybe S Nick Harper from Indy... if not him, maybe we'll settle for a LB like Rob Morris.
Rob Morris? Do you think he fits our system? Seems small but not only that we are really backlogged at LB. What do we do with the other bodies?

Getting DE, Safety, LB or OL, to me, via FA is expensive unless you truly get a Super Star -- a major upgrade over what we have.

We do have some young decent players and they need to develop and play or we need to get rid of them b/f contracts come due in 08/09. Other than Adalius Thomas is there a superstar FA out that clearly improves our team?

I know this is crazy but I just don't think we do much of anything in FA unless we lose some players we are expecting to keep like Colombo and Gurode.

I will make a final opinion once the March cuts come but till then .... save teh cash, accelerate unused cap to amortize bonus and give the team a year of seasoning.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Parcells Gone...
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
therock6000
Veteran

therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.

any guesses on who replaces him?

I had a dream that Brady Quinn was rollin' with Omarosa in a 1987 LeSabre
therock6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock6000
I'm gonna say Norv Turner or Bob Stoops
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
therock6000
Veteran

therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.therock6000 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:
I'm gonna say Norv Turner or Bob Stoops

i hope you are wrong about turner...how many failures does a coach get before you say, "Maybe he's just a really good coordinator...and that's it."?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
newkwhy
Hall of Famer
All-Pro

newkwhy is a cocksman.newkwhy is a cocksman.newkwhy is a cocksman.

Good to see that old battle axe out of Dallas. I've been calling for it for like two years now.

Bring on Stoopsy.
newkwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
therock6000
Veteran

This just in, Nick Saban has accepted the Dallas Cowboys job after they offered him 658 million dollars, half of delaware, the casket king tut was buried in and his own personal cheetah...

Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
newkwhy
Hall of Famer
All-Pro

Quote:
This just in, Nick Saban has accepted the Dallas Cowboys job after they offered him 658 million dollars, half of delaware, the casket king tut was buried in and his own personal cheetah...
I don't know how many times I have to say this... I'm not going to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkwhy
Good to see that old battle axe out of Dallas. I've been calling for it for like two years now.

Bring on Stoopsy.
I've always had a feeling Jones had a secret agreement with Stoops. Having said that, we'll probably get stuck with someone boring like Bum's boy, Wade Phillips.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
newkwhy
Hall of Famer
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkwhy

Bring on Stoopsy.
I've always had a feeling Jones had a secret agreement with Stoops. Having said that, we'll probably get stuck with someone boring like Bum's boy, Wade Phillips.
Anybody but Parcells. Anybody that can actually win a playoff game and get above .500.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
therock6000
Veteran

i kind of wish he'd hung around for 1 more year, so we could've gotten Cowher in '08.