Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
As for the injury thing, my main irk is the idea that all injuries can be called "freak" injuries. They all happen on one play because something that stressed something on that play. But stress over a long period makes those things much easier.

As for your question about the magic number, I'll take the closest example.

Jamaal Anderson at 25 - 536 carries, 2218 yards (4.1 YPC)
Larry Johnson at 26 - 476 carries, 2416 yards (5.1 YPC)

Jamaal Anderson's next season - 410 carries, 1846 yards (4.5 YPC)
Larry Johnson's next season - 416 carries, 1789 yards (4.3 YPC)

Both players had very disappointing follow up campaigns (Johnson was inconsistent beyond simply Kansas City's offensive line woes even before he went out in the Green Bay game). Anderson had a resurgence in the year following that, but was essentially out of football by the age of 29. I don't wish a ruined career on Larry Johnson, not even close. But to act like there's not substantial reason to be very worried about Larry Johnson is ignoring the reality of the situation.
Good statage! Interesting to read, but allow me to reply to something you've said.

To the injury, I don't think it was a "freak" injury, but I don't think it's something that will be incredibly common. When you're tackled from behind (completely legal tackle in this case) and someone lands on the back of your foot, it's hardly something you can avoid, no matter the amount of carries you have.

While he wasn't as consistent as he was the previous years, he was starting to come on before the injury. He scored all of his four touchdowns and piled up 371 yards during his last three games and was also on pace to shatter his career mark for receptions. He was hardly declining or slowing down.

Before he was hurt, Bowe wasn't a legitimate threat. All defenses had to do was stack 8 in the box on every play and it was hard for us to move the ball. It'll be harder to do that this year as Bowe has proven he can play in this league and Tony G is still as good as ever. With an improving offensive line and Bowe being a legitimate threat to catch the ball, defenses have to gameplan for more than just LJ now.

Also, Jamaal Charles was a great college back and he was really good value where he was picked (3rd round, pick 73). He's the perfect compliment to LJ, moreso than Kolby Smith is. He is extremely fast and can hit the homerun at any time. LJ and Jamaal Charles will make a very good 1-2 punch. Charles wasn't drafted to replace LJ, far from it. It's going to be a very good tandem.

In the end, only time will tell. You could be right. He might never be the same. I don't think you can look at last season as proof of this because he reached some magic number the season before that. A career doesn't end in one season, especially not after an injury like that. We'll see how he performs this year and be able to asses this better.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
This has nothing to do with him. And being the best prospect ever at a position doesn't guarantee success. Even IF Mandarich was the best prospect ever, his status as a pro doesn't effect how he was looked at as a prospect.

And try telling me that a 6-5, 235 lb WR who runs a 4.35 and produced the way he did with ******* Reggie Ball as your QB is not the best prospect ever. Name a better prospect, please.
Randy Moss

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Calvin was a better prospect that Moss, no doubt. Moss had no where near the build and total package that Calvin came in with. Moss wasn't a slouch, but Calvin came in with the build of a man who could take the beating, and handle defenders, versus Moss with his thinner build who didn't have near the muscle
Moss had better acceleration.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
21st pick Randy Moss? Big legal problems Randy Moss?
but hey bbb820, ur the #1 Randy Moss fan, at least its homerism

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Moss had better acceleration.

And Calvin had the better attitude, work ethic, and character.......you have to keep in mind that this is as a prospect, and by that definition, Calvin was superior, plain and simple......

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:18 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calvin Johnson in the Detroit TC is a big fish in a tiny pond though. I mean Detroit suck hard in the secondary. So its not like he facing Pacman Jones or Nnnnnnamamandanai ashogmoigoau every play.

His rookie numbers were solid if unspectacular and imo he's probably looking at around 70 for 1100 and close to 7 TDs.

Last edited by BlindSite : 08-02-2008 at 08:51 PM.
BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't trust that oline, or that qb. He'll be good, but until Detroit gets rid of Millen he'll never live up to the hype in that black hole environment.

As for who was the better prospect...Moss. The biggest misconception of the WR position is that its purely a physical position. WR is 80% mental. WRs have to be smart. Moss is probably the smartest WR in the league, and always has been.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ was a way better prospect and it wasn't even close. Moss is more athletic, but he also had a very bad attitude, poor workethic and lots off the field issues. If Moss was a better prospect he wouldn't have fallen so far.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

661rep hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As far as the C.J vs Bowe debate, I always knew CJ was the better talent, but I always believed Bowe would have the better career. I see some people making some excuses for CJ as to why he didn't have such a great year, but Bowe had to go against Champ, Asomugha, and Jammer twice each. That itself is an excuse not to have a great year.
661rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ is going to have a big year, i can smell it.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
ForOneDayHeWouldBeKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661rep View Post
As far as the C.J vs Bowe debate, I always knew CJ was the better talent, but I always believed Bowe would have the better career. I see some people making some excuses for CJ as to why he didn't have such a great year, but Bowe had to go against Champ, Asomugha, and Jammer twice each. That itself is an excuse not to have a great year.
Johnson was hurt all year. How is that an excuse?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Detroit sucks so their going to be behind in most games and passing late which will help CJ stats.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
Detroit sucks so their going to be behind in most games and passing late which will help CJ stats.
you type to learn english I will reading then I maybe understand you are saying what.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
you type to learn english I will reading then I maybe understand you are saying what.
dont knock him too much on his english, the kid actually has a good point.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

661rep hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForOneDayHeWouldBeKing View Post
Johnson was hurt all year. How is that an excuse?
Because being injured is an excuse?
661rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

he's not going to be injured his whole career, we'll see how he does.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

He was playing hurt last year and still put up good numbers for a rookie wideout. I think baring injury he will have a great season. Lets just hope being on the Lions doesn't hurt his play.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
dont knock him too much on his english, the kid actually has a good point.
His point? That CJ's stats will look better because of the lions sucking? You could say the same thing about Andre Johnson.

And as far as his English, it was horrible and I figured someone had to tell him.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
litlharsh
Veteran

litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

CJ's bound to succeed. It's the Georgia Tech in him.
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Keyshawn because i just hate T.O. he is a cocky son of a biscuit
But an athletic marvel for a second generation confectionary product
litlharsh is offline   Reply With Quote