Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else wonder if Henry gets moved to FS if his deal gets restructured...I think that has to be the first thing to happen in order for the move to be successful.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Dallas Cowboys have requested permission from the San Diego Chargers to meet with defensive coordinator Wade Phillips regarding their vacant head coaching position.
John Clayton also reports this
Quote:
The Cowboys are also seeking permission to speak with Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.
My Fisher thought is no more.
Quote:
"We haven't been contacted by Dallas," chief executive officer Steve Underwood said in a statement Tuesday. "In the event that we were, there are no circumstances that we would grant permission to the Cowboys to speak with Coach Fisher."

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Call me crazy, but I would welcome Martz with open arms. Offensive guru, and maybe he'd hire someone like Singletary as DC.
Does he have any connection with Singletary?

Problems I have with Martz, is that he NEVER runs the ball. He's a piss poor game manager. He NEVER runs the ball. He totally ignores defense and investing in it. He NEVER runs the ball. He will confuse a guy like Romo by throwing his wacky complex offensive plays into his brain. He NEVER runs the ball. He's a nut! A crazy nut! Oh, and he NEVER runs the ball.

Keep him AWAY!!! :evil: :x :evil:
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Guys I like for coaching positions:

HC:
Mike Singletary
Ron Rivera
Norv Turner
Pete Carroll
Wade Phillips
MAYBE: Dan Reeves

OC:
Jason Garrett
Norv Turner

DC:
Mike Singletary
MAYBE: Todd Bowles

BTW--anyone know if Darren Woodson has any interest in coaching? Just a quick thought that popped into my head last night.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
My Fisher thought is no more.
Quote:
"We haven't been contacted by Dallas," chief executive officer Steve Underwood said in a statement Tuesday. "In the event that we were, there are no circumstances that we would grant permission to the Cowboys to speak with Coach Fisher."
We knew about this at least a few days ago. ESPN even said it yesterday.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

I agree its highly unlikely Jerry will hire Singletary as the new HC, so while I may get booed off the board for this how bout the combo of Norv Turner as HC and Singletary as DC/asst HC. Obviously they are familiar with each other having served on the Niners staff last year. I think the Niners management would most certainly block Jerry from shredding their staff that bad...but....it's rumored that Nolan is not in favor of Singletary as DC there, that he wants a guy who has experience as a 3-4 coordinator. So could Norv pull Singletary with him if the Niners aren't willing to name him or pay him as the DC. From watching the North's practice this week, its obvious that Norv and Singletary are great teachers for offense and defense respectively, while Nolan has been throughly unimpressive to me. He seems completely lost on the field and during his interviews came accross as a moron, but hey maybe its just coaching style.

As for Norv, I know what you guys will say, yeah he is a two time HC failure, and I agree its a scary thought. BUT this guy will be a great mentor and teacher for Tony Romo, and whatever else you think about this team as Romo goes we will go as well. Sure I want a defensive team but if this guy fails we are not going to win for the next five years, and thats a fact. Norv has done good things with multiple QB's including a great job with Alex Smith this past season. Anyways just a thought, if we can get em both from SF I say go for it.
jdnoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
He was 6-2 and around 200 pounds so his size is similar to that of Romo, and I feel like he would relate well to Tony.

Garrett was nothing more then a smart player. He was really smart but never really had the physical skills to excel in a starting QB position. His play in no way/shape/form resembles the way Romo plays.

Quote:
Garrett was also a quarterback for the Giants while Sean Payton was there and it’s said Sean thinks very highly of him.

Every coach liked Garrett. I mean a player with that type of smarts is pretty hard not to like. But outside of his smarts he really didn't give anything to coaches on the playing field.

You act like Garrett was a good QB in his day. This is why I come down on you questioning your true knowledge of Garrett as a qb. I mean you would think you would have had some prior knowledge to a person before jumping on the bandwagon as future dallas cowboys head coach.
Just because I compared size doesn't mean I am saying their playing styles were the same. I don't know where you get that. And yes a lot of coaches think highly of him, does it really matter why? He has the makings of a good coach. Not very many coaches were also good players, except of course Mike Singletary :roll:

I never acted like Garrett was a good QB, you are just making this stuff up to make yourself look smarter than me.

Quote:
that type of smarts is pretty hard not to like.
Okay, then why wouldn't he be ready to make a jump to offensive coordinator?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, my initial plan wouldve been to hire Russ Grimm as HC, and hire Pepper Johnson as DC.

That would give you an offensive mind who would use the 2 TE offense and 2 RB system the same way BP did, plus he would continue to develop Romo properly, the same way they nutured Roethlisberger.

Pepper Johnson is from the same school of thought as BP, and coached the dline under Bellichick. He would bring the same style and system that BP employed while enhancing the play from the dline. The team wouldnt miss a beat. He is also a Bellichick disciple, so you know youd get a quality guy. BP and Bellichick run the same exact scheme, so that would be a plus.

Well, Grimm got signed so there goes that. But if you can find a guy who fits the same bill, I think that would be a perfect match. Grimm and Peppers would be perfect.

Thats the blueprint I would follow. An offensive HC who uses the 2 TE formation and run first mentality, with Pepper Johnson as DC.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that blueprint almost makes TOO much sense...ie Jerry Jones won't do it.

Get ready for Norv Turner. Omg, that would be the worst signing ever. I just don't see him succeeding as a HC. And supposedly JJ is interested in him. That would make my life as Giant fan alot easier if that happens. We wouldn't have to worry about Dallas next year.

Ron Rivera would make a great HC, but he's a Cover 2 guy who would totally rebuild your scheme. That makes no sense.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this was posted somewhere else. anybody see the interveiw?

Spears and James were just on Espn news and had a live interview. A couple of interesting points.

1. Spears pointed out that he really liked Parcells but also stated that Parcells was set in his ways and that football was evolving and Parcells was persistant to stay with what he thought works.(sound familiar????)
2. Both Spears and James were very clear that they want TO back and that in the clubhouse TO is a good teammate. Spears stated that when T NEwman spoke up this last year that it wasn't directed at TO. It was really impressive to see them stand up for TO and continually stated they supported having TO back, but that they were very sick of the media sideshow and the negativity that continually follows TO. THis was a very interesting interview.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:13 AM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.jdnoyes could make a wolverine purr.

Well here you go, looks like Garrett will be the OC, barring a really bad interview which I doubt considering Jerry is very familiar with him and likes him. The main question per the article is whether Jerry will go with the defensive mind Phillips or the offensive mind Norv Turner, and much of that depeds on whether or not he feels Garrett can manage the offense (and TO) by himself. Apparently Garrett has never called plays in his coaching career. I think that assuming he is hired it pretty much narrows the field to Norv Turner and Wade Phillips, as any other candidate would most likely push for hiring the OC of his choice.

I find it so Jerry like that he would hire his new OC before his new coach. Looks like old Jerry is back. I mean what coach wants to come in and have the owner say ok here is your OC...and here is your DC. It's such a typical Jerry move. I really think its going to be Norv, cause Jerry longs to go back to the old ways where he is in charge of all GM functions, and his coach does what he's told. Another name that has been mentioned is Wade Wilson with Garrett. Jerry loves guys that are familiar to him, and Wilson as HC would fit the bill just like Norv would, familiar, a known guy in Dallas, and a guy he can control. Lets just hope Jerry has learned something about the draft from Bill...cause if not we could become the laughing stock of the league once again no matter who the HC is.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
jdnoyes
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Have you guys been keeping up with the Senior Bowl coverage?

Sifting through the rummage to find your favorite prospects for this years draft?

Last year, we all had our favorites.... Mark Anderson & Chad Jackson heading my list... Greenway and Watson on others...

How 'bout this year?
Wanted to get back to the Sr. Bowl, after all this is a draft message board, and answer D-Unit's question. Some of the guys who have caught my eye in the first two days, and I think would be a good fit in Dallas:

From the North:

Levi Brown- I was a bit concerned about him but he has looked pretty solid so far from what i've seen. Has real nice feet for a man his size. Definately has a chance to be a starting LT in this league, and we are going to need one in the next two years or so. With Bill gone will McQuistan impress the next coach as much as he did Bill?

Adam Carriker- I have been super impressed with this guy. I thought he was a guy who got buy mostly on effort, be he has looked very athletic so far, and has been virtually unblockable in 1 on 1 drills. When Gruden was asked who has impressed him Carriker was the first name outta his mouth. He is versitle could play end or tackle in the 4-3 or end in the 3-4. I know we probalby don't need another DE but Spears/Canty struggled this year, and this guy will be a beast. Probably raised his stock way past where we draft though.

From the South:

Lorenzo Booker- Not a RB you really thought of before this week, but this guy is really smooth running and can catch the ball very well. Could be a poor man's Brian Westbrook, has really opened my eyes. He gets overlooked cause he played behind that terrible Florida State Line. I don't know that he really fits in Dallas but I like him a lot.

Brandon Merriweather- This guy looks like a corner to me in coverage, he almost looks too frail to be a FS, but hopefully he can bulk up a bit. I have been really impressed with his coverage ability, and I think he'd be great covering the deep middle for the Cowboys. I know, I know Patrick Watkins. Of course there is the Fighting incident this year that has dropped his stock. Not a Parcells type guy but Bill isn't here any more. I think this guy will make a team that takes a shot on him very happy.

Aaron Ross- Did anybody see the amazing jam he got in one on one drills (forget against who). I loved how aggressive he was playing tight bump and run coverage. I didn't think he was that physical a guy but he showed well. Being a Texas fan he made me scratch my head at times, but I love what he's done so far this week. I'm curious to see what he runs, if its in the 4.4 range I'm positive this guy will be a round 1 pick. If we really want to move henry to safety this guy should be there at 22.

Ryan Kalil- This guy has been great so far. I didn't think he was physical and big enough to play on our line and he may not be..BUT he is playing his butt off. His technique is outstanding. He handled 323 lb Tank Tyler like he was nothing in 1 on 1's. I know he probably doesn't fit our system, but remember we could loose both Gurode and Al Johnson in free agency this year. We could have E.J. Whitley as #1 on the depth chart around draft time.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Quote:
He was 6-2 and around 200 pounds so his size is similar to that of Romo, and I feel like he would relate well to Tony.

Garrett was nothing more then a smart player. He was really smart but never really had the physical skills to excel in a starting QB position. His play in no way/shape/form resembles the way Romo plays.

Quote:
Garrett was also a quarterback for the Giants while Sean Payton was there and it’s said Sean thinks very highly of him.

Every coach liked Garrett. I mean a player with that type of smarts is pretty hard not to like. But outside of his smarts he really didn't give anything to coaches on the playing field.

You act like Garrett was a good QB in his day. This is why I come down on you questioning your true knowledge of Garrett as a qb. I mean you would think you would have had some prior knowledge to a person before jumping on the bandwagon as future dallas cowboys head coach.
Just because I compared size doesn't mean I am saying their playing styles were the same. I don't know where you get that. And yes a lot of coaches think highly of him, does it really matter why? He has the makings of a good coach. Not very many coaches were also good players, except of course Mike Singletary :roll:

I never acted like Garrett was a good QB, you are just making this stuff up to make yourself look smarter than me.

Quote:
that type of smarts is pretty hard not to like.
Okay, then why wouldn't he be ready to make a jump to offensive coordinator?
It's not necessary to berate CT Thule. I don't get the impression that he's puffing up Jason Garrett's career. I'm reading it as him reporting information, and he seems to think that this may be a good match. I can see the potential of it. We'll see how Garrett's interview goes.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. My head is spinning with all the possibilies being thrown out there. I don't know what to say. I, personally, hope that Parcells is at least being involved in the coaching search. To me, a change of philosophy right now would severely set this team back.

It's amazing how much is at stake here. At this point in time, we have the personnel in place to be a contending force in our conference, and even the entire league. The wrong HC hire at this point could be simply devastating to our future.

Take a guy like Wade Phillips, for example. I remember him at Buffalo and at Denver. Watching both of those teams, you just got the feeling that the guy was a major douche. His teams had mental lapses at the worst times, didn't generally play smart football, and the whole time he is there on the sideline with one of the least inspriring facial expressions of all time plastered all over his head.

Norv Turner? He was a complete joke at Washington, and made a mess out of the situation in Oakland. Imagine him and TO together!......please no, please.

Mike Singletary? No previous HCing experience. He could be a complete disaster, and his own headman isn't even inclined to make him his DC, isn't that a red flag?

Jeff Fisher would probably be my dream guy, but that isn't happening. I would probably be on board with Cowher, as well, but we all know where that lies.

Stoops, Meyer, or Carroll all bring some interesting things to the table, but we've seen the kind of success that college coaches have in the NFL, which is to say, very little.

Bad times, guys. Bad times. We can have a great draft, sign some sweet ass free agents, and this season could still be a disaster if we don't find the right guy for this job. Color me scared.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's amazing how much is at stake here. At this point in time, we have the personnel in place to be a contending force in our conference, and even the entire league. The wrong HC hire at this point could be simply devastating to our future.
Do you really think the personnel is in place to be serious contending force? I'm really not so sure about that. I think Parcells got the absolute most out of everyone on that team. It wouldn't be the first time team overachieved under him.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On the senior bowl front, from what I have seen so far there has been one guy that has simply JUMPED out at me from the TV screen.

Adam Carriker.

I have been simply wowed by his ability. From the commentary that Mayock has made on him, it seems like his best position would be playing the 5-tech in our 3-4 sets, and then shifting inside to play the 3-tech in our nickel package. He has been a terror in one-on-one drills, and looks like the exact type of guy that could boost our pass rush in our base sets.

Let's face it guys, the #1 thing we need right now is improvement in our pass rush. Bottom line. I know loading up on yet another defensive end prospect, after we have spent 3 premium picks on good players in the last two drafts, seems a bit overdone, but I would do anything at this point to get that stud guy up-front that DEMANDS attention, and wreaks havoc when left one on one. Spears should be that guy, but he hasn't been. Hatcher has shown tremendous ability to be that guy, but he seems better as a weakside guy with his superior speed. Carriker just seems like the best option to me, and looks to be a possible impact player.

Anyhow, that's my number one guy. Okoye has looked pretty good, and has generated some buzz, but he probably doesn't fit in our scheme. A 3-tech, UT role is probably best for him. Indy would be a perfect fit.

I also like Tony Hunt, he's a really big, powerful guy who actually has some good speed as well. Seems like a potential sleeper type with some huge upside.

Ramirez reminds me a bit of a young LA, and I would not be too opposed to getting him later if we go a different route than Blalock.

Also, Levi Brown is beginning to win me over. I haven't been too excited about him, but he looks much more mobile than I expected, and has demonstrated some good feet and technique.

Still, I have only seen about half of the footage so far. I haven't been able to find the time to watch it all, but I'm hoping to catch up by tomorrow night.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:
Do you really think the personnel is in place to be serious contending force? I'm really not so sure about that. I think Parcells got the absolute most out of everyone on that team. It wouldn't be the first time team overachieved under him.
I think it's the opposite. I don't think he got enough out of the talent here.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Old 01-24-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
I would bet my life on it. That's how convinced I am. There was some sloppy play at the end, and it seems to be the mystery of all mysteries why it happened, but you have to remember that this was a team that was 8-4, riding a 4-game win streak, including a victory over the previously undefeated Colts, coming into that week 14 game against the Saints. We were looking like the best team in the NFL. In fact, according to the Aikman Efficiency Rankings, we were the best team in the NFL.

Then things began to go seriously wrong. It's not like there was a single, glaring thing that cost us all those games. The closest there was to that was our deep middle coverage, which suffered from having a rookie at FS, and Roy Williams' well-documented struggles in coverage. People want to chalk that up as our undoing, but that isn't the truth. They struggled bad-ass in the NO game, but they were actually pretty good against Atlanta. The offense didn't do jack crap against Philly, and the defense had problems with the running game and pressure on the QB that were the root of our problems there. In the Lions game, it was mostly the play of our cornerbacks, including some flabbergasting breakdowns by our best defensive player, Terrence Newman, as well as the old man Aaron Glenn getting his nuts toasted over an open fire, and our ILBs getting victimized because of our unwillingness to match up with their 3 and 4 wide sets. But even with all that, it took 27 points off turnovers (yeah, you read that right) to get them in position to win it like they did, and even THEN, we were stopped at the 1-yard line on the final play from scrimmage.

That said, at every position but one on defense we have an above average player, except FS. On offense, we already were one of the top 5 teams for the entire season, and that was including a really bad stint by our since-deposed veteran QB, and a transition to a first year starter in mid season, in addition to some spotty play along the O-line.

There is no doubt that we have the talent to be great. Sometimes things just don't click. Now, talent and potential, along with a quarter and a dime will get you a phone call home to complain about your lack of success. You have to make it work. But I have no doubt that the people are in place to make this a special team.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dunno, I guess you can pick apart any team like this but this is what I see.

I see a QB while promising, got worse at the end of the season after coming out of the cannon hot. Which QB will you be getting next year.

You have two WRs who are up there in age, one of which is a problem child. I know a lot like Crayton but he may be best suited for the role is he is now.

The O-line while not a bad a some believe is still very mediocre.

You documented your lack of pass rush. I guess some can point fingers in different directions regarding that.

And the secondary you documented as well. Is Henry going to play FS? In which case who is your other corner and Roy is still Roy.

The team is talented but I don't think as much as some think. Parcells really got a lot out of this team. More than most coaches in the league would and definately more than anyone who is potentially available now.

Quote:
That said, at every position but one on defense we have an above average player, except FS
This comment I also don't agree with. Your whole down lineman group is not above average.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:

I see a QB while promising, got worse at the end of the season after coming out of the cannon hot. Which QB will you be getting next year.

You have two WRs who are up there in age, one of which is a problem child. I know a lot like Crayton but he may be best suited for the role is he is now.

You documented your lack of pass rush. I guess some can point fingers in different directions regarding that.

And the secondary you documented as well. Is Henry going to play FS? In which case who is your other corner and Roy is still Roy.

The team is talented but I don't think as much as some think. Parcells really got a lot out of this team. More than most coaches in the league would and definately more than anyone who is potentially available now.
So, you're saying that the Cowboys will never be as good as they are now because no coach will get anything else out of them? Hmmm.

You're right, you can pick apart any team, but I won't do that. This team has not played well down the stretch for the last few years, after coming out of the gate very quickly. Is that coaching? I don't know, maybe it is. Could Romo's regression be a result of the couwboys not running the ball successfully? Maybe. Or maybe it's because of the underutilization of TO, and Witten, which could be attributed to game-planning. I am not blaming Parcells totally for the breakdowns, but he plays a big part in them. There is PLENTY of talent on this team, but the players didn't execute properly, AND the coaches did not put them in position to maximize their skills. There is plenty of blame to go around. I just think Parcells ran out of steam.

Albert Camus
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wade Phillips/Jason Garrett Combo scares the living daylights out of me. I think what will work in our favor is the fact that Miami gave us until Thursday to decide on Garrett. That's way too short of a window span. The last thing we need to be doing is going out and rushing this. If Jerry hires the first guy he interviews, I will be shocked.

We need to go at this carefully and methodically. I'm fine with Wilson Phillips as our DC, but not so hot on him as our HC.

Norv's offense doesn't work anymore. Yeah, it worked in the 90's but he's been around the barn too long doing the same thing. Teams have figured him out. Watching him in Oakland was pitiful. His offense stinks. It's lame and dry... and it doesn't work. I'd prefer the Phillips/Garrett combo over Norv. My ONLY hope would be if Norv brings Singletary along with him.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:

So, you're saying that the Cowboys will never be as good as they are now because no coach will get anything else out of them? Hmmm.

You're right, you can pick apart any team, but I won't do that. This team has not played well down the stretch for the last few years, after coming out of the gate very quickly. Is that coaching? I don't know, maybe it is. Could Romo's regression be a result of the couwboys not running the ball successfully? Maybe. Or maybe it's because of the underutilization of TO, and Witten, which could be attributed to game-planning. I am not blaming Parcells totally for the breakdowns, but he plays a big part in them. There is PLENTY of talent on this team, but the players didn't execute properly, AND the coaches did not put them in position to maximize their skills. There is plenty of blame to go around. I just think Parcells ran out of steam.
I'm just saying the talent isn't as close to a Super Bowl team as some might think. There is A LOT of room for improvement. I guess blame could be pointed everywhere. Was TO and Witten really underutilized. Witten seemed to get more and more balls once Romo became QB. And how much more can you throw to TO. I know he caught a lot of TDs but if you threw to him more his drops would just be even more and further blow the rest of the league away. The only person who honestly thinks TO was underutilized is TO and thats because he is clueless. Wasn't he targeted or thrown to the 3rd most in the league?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
The Wade Phillips/Jason Garrett Combo scares the living daylights out of me. I think what will work in our favor is the fact that Miami gave us until Thursday to decide on Garrett. That's way too short of a window span. The last thing we need to be doing is going out and rushing this. If Jerry hires the first guy he interviews, I will be shocked.

We need to go at this carefully and methodically. I'm fine with Wilson Phillips as our DC, but not so hot on him as our HC.

Norv's offense doesn't work anymore. Yeah, it worked in the 90's but he's been around the barn too long doing the same thing. Teams have figured him out. Watching him in Oakland was pitiful. His offense stinks. It's lame and dry... and it doesn't work. I'd prefer the Phillips/Garrett combo over Norv. My ONLY hope would be if Norv brings Singletary along with him.
woudln't Jerry have to interview a minority before he could hire Garrett or is that just HC?
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:

I'm just saying the talent isn't as close to a Super Bowl team as some might think. There is A LOT of room for improvement. I guess blame could be pointed everywhere. Was TO and Witten really underutilized. Witten seemed to get more and more balls once Romo became QB. And how much more can you throw to TO. I know he caught a lot of TDs but if you threw to him more his drops would just be even more and further blow the rest of the league away. The only person who honestly thinks TO was underutilized is TO and thats because he is clueless. Wasn't he targeted or thrown to the 3rd most in the league?
When your biggest need is a holder... You're not far away.

Improvement needed? Yeah. We have a lot of young guys at key positions. We need development. Do we have a lot of holes to fill in the starting lineup? 2-3 good players away... I'd say.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quote:

woudln't Jerry have to interview a minority before he could hire Garrett or is that just HC?
Pretty sure that's just for the HC job... Why? You for Singletary?