Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
The Bears in 2087.

By the way, what's with all the 49'ers noise? Just because they weren't terrible last year doesn't make them a Superbowl contendor anytime soon. What do they really have in terms of building blocks other than Frank Gore and maaaaaaaaybe Alex Smith? When they played the elite teams they still got beat like a drum (see Bears-Chargers). I don't think any team can have realistic Superbowl expectations for the next 3-4 years.
Who would have said the Bears had realistic SB aspirations 3 or 4 years ago? All they had was Urlacher and a bunch of crap. A lot change in a span of 4 years.
Three years ago we had Urlacher, Mike Brown, Olin Kruetz who were all at the very top of their game. We also had emerging young players Lance Briggs, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris, and Charles Tillman.

Anybody that didn't see the Bears as a team on the rise in 2003-2004 wasn't paying attention. We would have been much better in 2004 had we not been devestated by injuries. Keep in mind the biggest reason we had losing seasons was Grossman continually going down and being stuck with Chad Hutchison, Kordell Stewart, and the 500 year old Chris Chandler at QB. The team as a whole was very solid, it was just a few positions that were so bad they were holding everyone else back.

I couldn't name one players on the Niners defense besides Walt Harris who we drafted in 1996 that did anything last year. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it.
The players you named seem like obvious choices for emerging stars at the time, but I think you held them in higher regard than most because you're a Bears fan. The Niners have emerging young players too, you just don't know enough about them because your not a SF fan.

Spin it however you want, but no one outside of Chicago looked at that 4-12 Bears team in 02 and thought "wow, now THAT's a team on the rise!"
The team in '02 was terrible. Everyone from the 2001 13-3 team was injured, old, or just overated. We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.

Again, I would like to hear where the building blocks on the team are outside of Frank Gore? Their best two defensive players are a year or two away from retiring. After that there is Brandon Moore, who I don't think anyone is going to build a team around.

If you want a team that looks primed to return to their days of yore I give you, sadly, the Green Bay Packers.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
eazyb81
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cashville
Posts: 5,793
Reputation: 893
eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.eazyb81 is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
The Bears in 2087.

By the way, what's with all the 49'ers noise? Just because they weren't terrible last year doesn't make them a Superbowl contendor anytime soon. What do they really have in terms of building blocks other than Frank Gore and maaaaaaaaybe Alex Smith? When they played the elite teams they still got beat like a drum (see Bears-Chargers). I don't think any team can have realistic Superbowl expectations for the next 3-4 years.
Who would have said the Bears had realistic SB aspirations 3 or 4 years ago? All they had was Urlacher and a bunch of crap. A lot change in a span of 4 years.
Three years ago we had Urlacher, Mike Brown, Olin Kruetz who were all at the very top of their game. We also had emerging young players Lance Briggs, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris, and Charles Tillman.

Anybody that didn't see the Bears as a team on the rise in 2003-2004 wasn't paying attention. We would have been much better in 2004 had we not been devestated by injuries. Keep in mind the biggest reason we had losing seasons was Grossman continually going down and being stuck with Chad Hutchison, Kordell Stewart, and the 500 year old Chris Chandler at QB. The team as a whole was very solid, it was just a few positions that were so bad they were holding everyone else back.

I couldn't name one players on the Niners defense besides Walt Harris who we drafted in 1996 that did anything last year. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it.
The players you named seem like obvious choices for emerging stars at the time, but I think you held them in higher regard than most because you're a Bears fan. The Niners have emerging young players too, you just don't know enough about them because your not a SF fan.

Spin it however you want, but no one outside of Chicago looked at that 4-12 Bears team in 02 and thought "wow, now THAT's a team on the rise!"
Again, I would like to hear where the building blocks on the team are outside of Frank Gore? Their best two defensive players are a year or two away from retiring. After that there is Brandon Moore, who I don't think anyone is going to build a team around.
Frank Gore? Alex Smith? Vernon Davis? Manny Lawson? Shawntae Spencer? Whoever they draft at #11 this year? Don't be naive, this team has some young players that have the potential to be stars. They haven't reached their potential thus far, but that's not the point - we're trying to project what could happen in the future.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown

If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS
eazyb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
WeaselBird
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
The Bears in 2087.

By the way, what's with all the 49'ers noise? Just because they weren't terrible last year doesn't make them a Superbowl contendor anytime soon. What do they really have in terms of building blocks other than Frank Gore and maaaaaaaaybe Alex Smith? When they played the elite teams they still got beat like a drum (see Bears-Chargers). I don't think any team can have realistic Superbowl expectations for the next 3-4 years.
Who would have said the Bears had realistic SB aspirations 3 or 4 years ago? All they had was Urlacher and a bunch of crap. A lot change in a span of 4 years.
Three years ago we had Urlacher, Mike Brown, Olin Kruetz who were all at the very top of their game. We also had emerging young players Lance Briggs, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris, and Charles Tillman.

Anybody that didn't see the Bears as a team on the rise in 2003-2004 wasn't paying attention. We would have been much better in 2004 had we not been devestated by injuries. Keep in mind the biggest reason we had losing seasons was Grossman continually going down and being stuck with Chad Hutchison, Kordell Stewart, and the 500 year old Chris Chandler at QB. The team as a whole was very solid, it was just a few positions that were so bad they were holding everyone else back.

I couldn't name one players on the Niners defense besides Walt Harris who we drafted in 1996 that did anything last year. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it.
The players you named seem like obvious choices for emerging stars at the time, but I think you held them in higher regard than most because you're a Bears fan. The Niners have emerging young players too, you just don't know enough about them because your not a SF fan.

Spin it however you want, but no one outside of Chicago looked at that 4-12 Bears team in 02 and thought "wow, now THAT's a team on the rise!"
Again, I would like to hear where the building blocks on the team are outside of Frank Gore? Their best two defensive players are a year or two away from retiring. After that there is Brandon Moore, who I don't think anyone is going to build a team around.
Frank Gore? Alex Smith? Vernon Davis? Manny Lawson? Shawntae Spencer? Whoever they draft at #11 this year? Don't be naive, this team has some young players that have the potential to be stars. They haven't reached their potential thus far, but that's not the point - we're trying to project what could happen in the future.
I find it funny that he says
Quote:
The team in '02 was terrible. Everyone from the 2001 13-3 team was injured, old, or just overated. We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.
and then asks us what our building blocks are(btw, he did a great job skipping over my post, because I mentioned the same building blocks). He described our same situation, alex smith is STILL the youngest starting quarterback in the league(22, he was a 21 year old rookie and 20 when he was drafted), frank gores only 23, vernon davis is still just 22, justin smiley is only 25, who was called one of the best guards in the league by tommy harris and gave up ZERO sacks this year). I could go on. I'm not saying we're going to the superbowl next year, but atleast acknowledge that the building blocks are there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,439
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
The Bears in 2087.

By the way, what's with all the 49'ers noise? Just because they weren't terrible last year doesn't make them a Superbowl contendor anytime soon. What do they really have in terms of building blocks other than Frank Gore and maaaaaaaaybe Alex Smith? When they played the elite teams they still got beat like a drum (see Bears-Chargers). I don't think any team can have realistic Superbowl expectations for the next 3-4 years.
Who would have said the Bears had realistic SB aspirations 3 or 4 years ago? All they had was Urlacher and a bunch of crap. A lot change in a span of 4 years.
Three years ago we had Urlacher, Mike Brown, Olin Kruetz who were all at the very top of their game. We also had emerging young players Lance Briggs, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris, and Charles Tillman.

Anybody that didn't see the Bears as a team on the rise in 2003-2004 wasn't paying attention. We would have been much better in 2004 had we not been devestated by injuries. Keep in mind the biggest reason we had losing seasons was Grossman continually going down and being stuck with Chad Hutchison, Kordell Stewart, and the 500 year old Chris Chandler at QB. The team as a whole was very solid, it was just a few positions that were so bad they were holding everyone else back.

I couldn't name one players on the Niners defense besides Walt Harris who we drafted in 1996 that did anything last year. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it.
The players you named seem like obvious choices for emerging stars at the time, but I think you held them in higher regard than most because you're a Bears fan. The Niners have emerging young players too, you just don't know enough about them because your not a SF fan.

Spin it however you want, but no one outside of Chicago looked at that 4-12 Bears team in 02 and thought "wow, now THAT's a team on the rise!"
The team in '02 was terrible. Everyone from the 2001 13-3 team was injured, old, or just overated. We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.

Again, I would like to hear where the building blocks on the team are outside of Frank Gore? Their best two defensive players are a year or two away from retiring. After that there is Brandon Moore, who I don't think anyone is going to build a team around.

If you want a team that looks primed to return to their days of yore I give you, sadly, the Green Bay Packers.
49er building blocks

Alex Smith, QB
Frank Gore, RB
Vernon Davis, TE
Shawntae Spencer, CB
Manny Lawson, OLB
Brandon Moore, ILB (not a beast but solid at what he does)
Justin Smiley, G
David Baas, G
Adam Snyder, T

I dont know if they win 6 first, i was surprised to read that. I hope its true but i dont know.

Anyways, to say they are no building blocks isn't an accurate assesment. There are many. Also some others are guys like brandon williams, parys haralson, delanie walker, and michael robinson. All were pretty raw this year.

As well, some other guys that likely wont start but be good backups are guys like Ronald Fields and Melvin Oliver.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

What have Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, or Alex Smith done other than getting drafted really high to prove that they are players to build around? Just being a 1st round pick doesn't cut it.

I really like the Niners running game and their O-line seems like one to build around, but your skill players outside of Smith are underwhelming and when Brandon Moore is your best young defensive player that isn't going to impress anyone, at least not me. Nor is saying, well the player that we're going to draft at #11 as if you already know that player is going to be good. Just assuming that all of your young players are going to develop is a really lame argument. Teams like the Packers and the Jets have many more young players that are already playing well.

Again, just naming players that are young doesn't mean they are good. Parys Haralson? Delanie Walker? Ronald Fields? What the hell?
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,439
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
What have Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, or Alex Smith done other than getting drafted really high to prove that they are players to build around? Just being a 1st round pick doesn't cut it.

I really like the Niners running game and their O-line seems like one to build around, but your skill players outside of Smith are underwhelming and when Brandon Moore is your best young defensive player that isn't going to impress anyone, at least not me. Nor is saying, well the player that we're going to draft at #11 as if you already know that player is going to be good. Just assuming that all of your young players are going to develop is a really lame argument. Teams like the Packers and the Jets have many more young players that are already playing well.

Again, just naming players that are young doesn't mean they are good. Parys Haralson? Delanie Walker? Ronald Fields? What the hell?
I said Potentially for guys like walker, etc. I also said backups, not starters, which was why i made a different list.

They all have talent. Obviously they havent displayed all of it yet. VD displayed some great playmaking skills in several games. Lawson was a beast in coverage but a major dissapointment in pass rush (2.5 sacks..come on, lawson is better than that)
Smith played efficient, and although his stats arent the greatest, very few of his INT's were of mental error. He also went through stages. He played good at times and awful at other times.

I see no reason to see why they are not building blocks. They have talent, and have displayed some of it, but have not been consistent. They could all bust horribly and i could be wrong or they could all be all-pros. But i count them as building blocks because they have only improved with each game.

I also never brought up "the player we will draft at 11". Im not counting that until i see the player we draft in TC.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If they are inconsistent how can they improve with each game? That's a complete contradiction.

And I know you didn't, but eazy did. I'm adressing multiple posts.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 PM    (permalink
WeaselBird
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
What have Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, or Alex Smith done other than getting drafted really high to prove that they are players to build around? Just being a 1st round pick doesn't cut it.

I really like the Niners running game and their O-line seems like one to build around, but your skill players outside of Smith are underwhelming and when Brandon Moore is your best young defensive player that isn't going to impress anyone, at least not me. Nor is saying, well the player that we're going to draft at #11 as if you already know that player is going to be good. Just assuming that all of your young players are going to develop is a really lame argument. Teams like the Packers and the Jets have many more young players that are already playing well.

Again, just naming players that are young doesn't mean they are good. Parys Haralson? Delanie Walker? Ronald Fields? What the hell?
I'd really like an explanation of this quote
Quote:
We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.
I find it incredibly intriguing. See, it's easy to say in retrospect that you guys were "clearly a few peices away from being a contender". How exactly were you guys a few peices. You had a qb that couldnt stay healthy and didn't show squat, a wide receiving corp that COMBINED for 3 touchdowns and virtually zero running game(although thomas came on strong towards the end, it still didnt look very bright). You're offense in 04 scored as many points as your defense allowed this year. How exactly were you a few pieces away?

Face it, nobody expected the bears to be in the superbowl 2 years from then. Like I said, vernon davis came on strong towards the end of the season and showed flashes of why we drafted him 6th overall. Alex Smith also finished the season strong, leading us to clutch second half victories against the broncos and seahawks. On defense, we have manny lawson whos been amazing in coverage this year. His passrushing skils need a little work but his coverage is solid. Ronald fields was actually one of our better players on the defensive line this year, he was a great run stuffer and the niners like him at defensive end in the 3-4. Shawntae spencer is getting better and better in coverage and we had our 3 game losing streak(right after our 3 game winning streak), when he was injured. Keith lewis was a force this year at safety. He really set the tone in the broncos game by taking a couple personal foul injuries early, but the broncos receivers were shaken up the whole game. I REALLY don't know what else to tell you. If you saw potential in the 04 bears team, I really don't know how you cant see potential in this one.

Its pretty clear you havent watched any niner game this year outside the one where the bears whooped us. And like I said, nolan took over the defense after that game because billy davis(who got fired) was not experienced enough to run a defense. If you watched more of our games, you'd see the potential thats there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
WeaselBird
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
If they are inconsistent how can they improve with each game? That's a complete contradiction.

And I know you didn't, but eazy did. I'm adressing multiple posts.
consistency comes with experience. And he's right, most smiths interceptions didn't come because of mental errors, it was usually a tipped pass from a receiver. Even the one in the bears game came because the corner took the ball away from antonio bryant whie he was trying to catch it. You can't blame those on him.

Btw, I'd REALLY like a definition of building blocks because if those aren't building blocks, I DUNNO WHAT IS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
WeaselBird
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
What have Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, or Alex Smith done other than getting drafted really high to prove that they are players to build around? Just being a 1st round pick doesn't cut it.

I really like the Niners running game and their O-line seems like one to build around, but your skill players outside of Smith are underwhelming and when Brandon Moore is your best young defensive player that isn't going to impress anyone, at least not me. Nor is saying, well the player that we're going to draft at #11 as if you already know that player is going to be good. Just assuming that all of your young players are going to develop is a really lame argument. Teams like the Packers and the Jets have many more young players that are already playing well.

Again, just naming players that are young doesn't mean they are good. Parys Haralson? Delanie Walker? Ronald Fields? What the hell?
I'd really like an explanation of this quote
Quote:
We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.
I find it incredibly intriguing. See, it's easy to say in retrospect that you guys were "clearly a few peices away from being a contender". How exactly were you guys a few peices. You had a qb that couldnt stay healthy and didn't show squat, a wide receiving corp that COMBINED for 3 touchdowns and virtually no running game(although thomas came on strong towards the end, it still didnt look very bright). You're offense in 04 scored as many points as your defense allowed this year. How exactly were you a few pieces away?

Face it, nobody expected the bears to be in the superbowl 2 years from then. Like I said, vernon davis came on strong towards the end of the season and showed flashes of why we drafted him 6th overall. Alex Smith also finished the season strong, leading us to clutch second half victories against the broncos and seahawks. On defense, we have manny lawson whos been amazing in coverage this year. His passrushing skils need a little work but his coverage is solid. Ronald fields was actually one of our better players on the defensive line this year, he was a great run stuffer and the niners like him at defensive end in the 3-4. Shawntae spencer is getting better and better in coverage and we had our 3 game losing streak(right after our 3 game winning streak), when he was injured. Keith lewis was a force this year at safety. He really set the tone in the broncos game by taking a couple personal foul injuries early, but the broncos receivers were shaken up the whole game. I REALLY don't know what else to tell you. If you saw potential in the 04 bears team, I really don't know how you cant see potential in this one.

Its pretty clear you havent watched any niner game this year outside the one where the bears whooped us. And like I said, nolan took over the defense after that game because billy davis(who got fired) was not experienced enough to run a defense. If you watched more of our games, you'd see the potential thats there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,439
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
If they are inconsistent how can they improve with each game? That's a complete contradiction.

And I know you didn't, but eazy did. I'm adressing multiple posts.
Because they arent complete players. Examples

Manny Lawson- Excelled in coverage and grew from game 1 to game 16. Grew

Was terrible in pass rushing- Inconsistency

Vernon Davis

Became a great blocker-grew

At times displayed his homerun threat, at other times had problems catching the ball- inconsistency

There are many facets to the game. Its possible to grow and still be inconsistent.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Well first off we ran for over 1,300 yards in 2004, so your comment about us having no running game is completely uninformed and flat out wrong.

Our defense was complete in 2004. Everyone said that at the time. Although our statistics weren't dominant that year that was mostly due to a terrible offense and injuries that took their toll late in the year. The problem was at Quarterback, skill positions, and Left Tackle. We fixed those three positions and boom, we're in the playoffs. The players that I had already mentioned were coming into their own and actually making names for themselves. By that time everyone knew who Tillman, Harris, Vasher, and Briggs were. On top of guys that were already established like Urlacher, Kruetz, Mike Brown, and Alex Brown. We also added veterans like John Tait and Adewale Ogunleye who had been successful elsewhere but were still young.

Who do the Niners have that is established outside of Gore? Vernon Davis looked pretty good, but is he your future primariy pass catcher? Are Antonio Bryant and Arnez Battle the answer?

Being "amazing in coverage" doesn't cut it for what needs to be a primier rush-linebacker who is supposed to be the guy you build your defense around (or at least he better be, cause I've yet to get a better name).

The two games you've made reference too (which are really the only ones cause you didn't beat anyone else of note) were a positive sign. Although anyone that really watched the Seahawks game knows that was much more them blowing it than the Niners doing anything special.

Your team is based around running Frank Gore into the ground. Sorry if that doesn't spell future Superbowl contendor to me. The Niners just seem like a catchy team to root for cause they are young and have high draft picks, much like the Cardinals and Lions have been in the past. I just don't see the organizational structure there to be amongst the elite in the next few years. You need elite players to build around, and I don't see 'em.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
What have Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, or Alex Smith done other than getting drafted really high to prove that they are players to build around? Just being a 1st round pick doesn't cut it.

I really like the Niners running game and their O-line seems like one to build around, but your skill players outside of Smith are underwhelming and when Brandon Moore is your best young defensive player that isn't going to impress anyone, at least not me. Nor is saying, well the player that we're going to draft at #11 as if you already know that player is going to be good. Just assuming that all of your young players are going to develop is a really lame argument. Teams like the Packers and the Jets have many more young players that are already playing well.

Again, just naming players that are young doesn't mean they are good. Parys Haralson? Delanie Walker? Ronald Fields? What the hell?
I'd really like an explanation of this quote
Quote:
We had a tremendous draft in 2003 and a very good one in 2004. Even though we were 12-20 in 2003-2004, we were the youngest team in the league and clearly a few pieces away from a being a contendor.
I find it incredibly intriguing. See, it's easy to say in retrospect that you guys were "clearly a few peices away from being a contender". How exactly were you guys a few peices. You had a qb that couldnt stay healthy and didn't show squat, a wide receiving corp that COMBINED for 3 touchdowns and virtually no running game(although thomas came on strong towards the end, it still didnt look very bright). You're offense in 04 scored as many points as your defense allowed this year. How exactly were you a few pieces away?

Face it, nobody expected the bears to be in the superbowl 2 years from then. Like I said, vernon davis came on strong towards the end of the season and showed flashes of why we drafted him 6th overall. Alex Smith also finished the season strong, leading us to clutch second half victories against the broncos and seahawks. On defense, we have manny lawson whos been amazing in coverage this year. His passrushing skils need a little work but his coverage is solid. Ronald fields was actually one of our better players on the defensive line this year, he was a great run stuffer and the niners like him at defensive end in the 3-4. Shawntae spencer is getting better and better in coverage and we had our 3 game losing streak(right after our 3 game winning streak), when he was injured. Keith lewis was a force this year at safety. He really set the tone in the broncos game by taking a couple personal foul injuries early, but the broncos receivers were shaken up the whole game. I REALLY don't know what else to tell you. If you saw potential in the 04 bears team, I really don't know how you cant see potential in this one.

Its pretty clear you havent watched any niner game this year outside the one where the bears whooped us. And like I said, nolan took over the defense after that game because billy davis(who got fired) was not experienced enough to run a defense. If you watched more of our games, you'd see the potential thats there.
Wanna give me 5 seconds there chief?
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,298
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
If they are inconsistent how can they improve with each game? That's a complete contradiction.

And I know you didn't, but eazy did. I'm adressing multiple posts.
Btw, I'd REALLY like a definition of building blocks because if those aren't building blocks, I DUNNO WHAT IS.
Building blocks = Young players that have shown consistant play that borders on dominance at times.

Frank Gore is a building block. Aaron Kampman is a building block. Tommie Harris is a building block (before he got hurt anyway). Shawne Merriman is a building block.

A rookie whose job it is to rush the quarterback that has 2.5 sacks, not a building block. A Quarterback that has 10 more career INT's than TD's, not a building block. A rookie with 20 catches, not a building block.

Again, any of those three COULD be, but to talk about the Niners as if they are already a playoff contendor is way too premature.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,439
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sup3rk1ng
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
If they are inconsistent how can they improve with each game? That's a complete contradiction.

And I know you didn't, but eazy did. I'm adressing multiple posts.
Btw, I'd REALLY like a definition of building blocks because if those aren't building blocks, I DUNNO WHAT IS.
Building blocks = Young players that have shown consistant play that borders on dominance at times.

Frank Gore is a building block. Aaron Kampman is a building block. Tommie Harris is a building block (before he got hurt anyway). Shawne Merriman is a building block.

A rookie whose job it is to rush the quarterback that has 2.5 sacks, not a building block. A Quarterback that has 10 more career INT's than TD's, not a building block. A rookie with 20 catches, not a building block.

Again, any of those three COULD be, but to talk about the Niners as if they are already a playoff contendor is way too premature.
Manny Lawson-Rushing the QB was not his primary job. When was it his primary job?whenever he did it, he wasnt good at it, but that was not his primary job.

Alex Smith- dont know what the hell is up with him. I cant make a 100% definitive arguement either way.

Vernon Davis- stats only. He was injured for many games, and was eased back into the offense for other games. He missed 6 games due to injury and in his first game back was eased back into the offense. So 9 games. And he played very well, in several facets of the game. A TE has to block too. He displayed homerun abilities, and was a good blocker. Just needs to grasp the game better.

I dont think SF is a playoff contender. I am flattered by what people here are saying, but i dont think SF makes the playoffs next year.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
WeaselBird
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Well first off we ran for over 1,300 yards in 2004, so your comment about us having no running game is completely uninformed and flat out wrong.

Our defense was complete in 2004. Everyone said that at the time. Although our statistics weren't dominant that year that was mostly due to a terrible offense and injuries that took their toll late in the year. The problem was at Quarterback, skill positions, and Left Tackle. We fixed those three positions and boom, we're in the playoffs. The players that I had already mentioned were coming into their own and actually making names for themselves. By that time everyone knew who Tillman, Harris, Vasher, and Briggs were. On top of guys that were already established like Urlacher, Kruetz, Mike Brown, and Alex Brown. We also added veterans like John Tait and Adewale Ogunleye who had been successful elsewhere but were still young.

Who do the Niners have that is established outside of Gore? Vernon Davis looked pretty good, but is he your future primariy pass catcher? Are Antonio Bryant and Arnez Battle the answer?

Being "amazing in coverage" doesn't cut it for what needs to be a primier rush-linebacker who is supposed to be the guy you build your defense around (or at least he better be, cause I've yet to get a better name).

The two games you've made reference too (which are really the only ones cause you didn't beat anyone else of note) were a positive sign. Although anyone that really watched the Seahawks game knows that was much more them blowing it than the Niners doing anything special.

Your team is based around running Frank Gore into the ground. Sorry if that doesn't spell future Superbowl contendor to me. The Niners just seem like a catchy team to root for cause they are young and have high draft picks, much like the Cardinals and Lions have been in the past. I just don't see the organizational structure there to be amongst the elite in the next few years. You need elite players to build around, and I don't see 'em.
Yea you guys were such a dominant rushing team that your headcoach decided to draft a runningback right? The niners, who had the #1 pick that year, rushed for 1449 yards that year. Did that mean we had a great running game? Nope, we were still averaging 3.3 yards a carry. Btw, saying "all we needed was a quarterback and skill positions" is ALOT OF NEED. You're basically saying you needed an offense. Our team, this year, just needs another wide receiver to along with antonio bryant(733 yards and 18 something yards per catch) and arnaz battle(60 catches this year as a #2). And, YES, our team is built around the run. We dont run the west coast offense anymore. We run the coryell offense, which focuses around a run and playaction.

And how can you say "Being "amazing in coverage" doesn't cut it for what needs to be a primier rush-linebacker who is supposed to be the guy you build your defense around". That's one of the hardest things for converted linebackers. He's way ahead of where he should be in terms of coverage. We already have TWO peices of the 4 linebackers we need to run a 3-4. We can grab a guy like adalius thomas to cover one more side and draft a guy like patrick willis to play inside with brandon moore. Nolan has a great defensive scheme, he knows how to game plan defensively. Defense is ALOT easier to fix than offense. We've got all the building blocks(which is the whole point of all of this, you said we have none) on offense. This was their first year under norv turner. Alex smith is maturing, frank gores is leading the nfc in rushing, vernon davis is starting to come in to his own....Like you guys were in 04, we're just missing an elite wide receiver and a right tackle. I REALLY don't understand how you can say we don't have building blocks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
PackerFan20
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Both Dallas and Pit are getting new coaches so it could take them longer to regroup. Niners have a rising team with a RB who can put up LT like numbers and the NFL's fastest TE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Thinking about women and glasses of beer
Posts: 6,844
Reputation: 799
moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.
Default

San Fran. Going to the playoffs next year, mark it down.
__________________


"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,439
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I am actually surprised at all the love SF is getting. I suppose as a big fan i tend to be a little over analytical, and instead of looking at the good, i look at the bad. Im not to sure if a lot of love that SF is getting is due to the fact they beat the broncos and seahawks both on the road, but i like the base of talent nolan is assembling. I wont go and say its a team of all-pros, but i like the potential they have shown.

I actually made a thread exactly like this a couple of months back, and picked dallas. Now, months later, i still think dallas. Good QB, good RB combo (although julius jones is the weaker RB), good TE, one of the top young players in the game in demarcus ware. Im not to sure about the steelers because of a new HC and possible new scheme for D in a few years, and SF needs to make the playoffs before i say they have a shot at a SB. So, i voted dallas.

I hope im wrong..
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.