Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Apparently, the Niners really want Ol' Norv to stay.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2744279
Hopefully he does stay. I don't want him as a head coach. Heck of a coordinator, but HC? No.
I guess I'm warming to the Phillips idea. I can't help but wonder if Jerry's got something up his sleeve that will just come out of left field though.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
It really looks to me like they won't be making a decision until next week until at least after they get a chance to interview Norv. I can stand to live with either:

HC: Wade Phillips
DC: Todd Bowles
OC: Jason Garrett

HC: Norv Turner

I'd rather Garrett stick to OC for now. Plus I'd also rather stick with the 3-4.
How about this

HC - Dan Reeve
DC - Todd Bowles
OC - Jason Garrett

but I think this is better

HC - Wade Phllips
DC and AHC: Mike Singletary
OC - Jason Garrett
Obviously that would be ideal, but I was trying to be realistic. I don't see how we would be able to pull Mike away from the Niners in a lateral move like that. As a matter of fact this here would be the MOST ideal:

HC: Mike Singletary

I just (unfortunatley) have not heard anything about us looking to speak with Mike Singletary whatsoever.
Well Mike stepping in as a DC wouldn't be a lateral move because he hasn't been appointed the DC in San Fran. I do think he would take the DC job if offered to him. I think the search right now is on the HC. ...and as much as I would like him to fill the HC job, I do think the safe step for him right now is as a DC.
Technically actually Mike moving from linebackers coach to DC is a lateral move...the Dolphins had the right to reject Jason Garrett's interview in Cleveland for OC on the same basis.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware_HITStick
We want Cowher... not likely, but I would take him if he wanted to come
We'd have to give up picks to the Steelers if we were to sign Cowher since he still has a year remaining on his deal, meaning they still have the rights to him.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully he does stay. I don't want him as a head coach. Heck of a coordinator, but HC? No.
If Norv can bring Singletary with him, I'd be happy with the hire.

Here are the coaches left who I think have a chance at the HC job:

-Jason Garrett
-Wade Phillips
-Gary Gibbs
-Norv Turner
-Mike Zimmer
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
Quote:
Quote:

-Jason Garrett
-Wade Phillips
-Gary Gibbs
-Norv Turner
-Mike Zimmer
none of these guys seem to be HC material......how bout an intern coach for one year
scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdawg
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Jason Garrett
-Wade Phillips
-Gary Gibbs
-Norv Turner
-Mike Zimmer
none of these guys seem to be HC material......how bout an intern coach for one year
Did that guy say Zimmer? o man

**shudders
Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Norv Turner is coming to interview for the Cowboys' head coaching job Sunday and appears to be the leading candidate to replace Bill Parcells.

The San Francisco 49ers reportedly have made a substantial offer to keep Turner, the team's offensive coordinator, from even interviewing with the Cowboys. But Turner, who is in Mobile, Ala., as a coach in the Senior Bowl today, will still interview with the Cowboys and has emerged as the favorite to coach the team, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.
Quote:
"I don't think [the coaching decision] will be a long, drawn-out process," Phillips said. "That's what I've been told."
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/16560357.htm

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Might sound stupid to some of you, but after watching the Senior Bowl does Meriweather remind anyone else of Lott? He reminded me alot of him tonight actually.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94
Might sound stupid to some of you, but after watching the Senior Bowl does Meriweather remind anyone else of Lott? He reminded me alot of him tonight actually.
Meriweather isn't as big as Lott was. I think Meriweather is the better cover guy..but Lott was the better hitter. They are somewhat similar..but comparing a soon to be rookie to a hall a famer.

Anyways....Meriweather is my favorite safety in this draft since we actually have a shot at him unlike guys like Landry and Nelson.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-27-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Norv Turner is coming to interview for the Cowboys' head coaching job Sunday and appears to be the leading candidate to replace Bill Parcells.

The San Francisco 49ers reportedly have made a substantial offer to keep Turner, the team's offensive coordinator, from even interviewing with the Cowboys. But Turner, who is in Mobile, Ala., as a coach in the Senior Bowl today, will still interview with the Cowboys and has emerged as the favorite to coach the team, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.
Quote:
"I don't think [the coaching decision] will be a long, drawn-out process," Phillips said. "That's what I've been told."
I hope we make a hire in the next week. And I hope it's Phillips.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetBLACK08
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdawg
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Jason Garrett
-Wade Phillips
-Gary Gibbs
-Norv Turner
-Mike Zimmer
Did that guy say Zimmer? o man

**shudders
Zimmer is a 4-3 genius, He's a very intelligent man that has worked under some great coaches. I think given the right situation, Zimmer would make a hell of a head coach but, that team better be running a 4-3. I would personally love if we could hire Zimmer and team him up with a great 3-4 coordinator ala Wade Phillips. That would be one hell of a defense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I hope we make a hire in the next week. And I hope it's Phillips.
I hope so... We have excellent personel, very similar to that of the Chargers, we dont have a Shawn Phillips though. Still, that being said, Wade will do wonders for our defense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 01-28-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Norv Turner is interviewing today...we should know who our hc is either today or tomorrow. I'm routing for Norv. I'll be very curious to see who we bring in for our DC...one can only hope for Singletary.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Norv Turner is interviewing today...we should know who our hc is either today or tomorrow. I'm routing for Norv. I'll be very curious to see who we bring in for our DC...one can only hope for Singletary.
Just curious..if he isnt fit for DC in SF, why would he do good in Dallas?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87
Quote:
Just curious..if he isnt fit for DC in SF, why would he do good in Dallas?
Because frankly right now, we don't have a lot of better options.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/16560357.htm

It's sounding like the new HC could be Turner. Not a terrible choice (I'm throwing out his time in Oakland 'cause I don't think anyone can succeed there), but I was warming more to the idea of Phillips. I think he could be the guy to fix our defense, and that was in a lot worse shape than our offense last season.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Zimmer is a 4-3 genius
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Willis, Hunt, Leonard, Beekman, Grubbs, Brown, Merriweather and Spencer stood out to me. It will be interesting to see the notes on them. Any comment on Tyler for NT -- he seemed invisibile.

OT: Back to the well with Norv Turner? This really doesn't help improve our 3-4 which I think was our biggest offeseason coaching need IMHO. But given we have some of our best coaches now leaving (which where on Offense) I am not sure what else makes sense. This team's staff got gutted and I am not sure how well we are going to do the first half of next season with all the change.

So funny that Parcells best staff was on the O, and not the D, yet fans and media are still nutty over the play calling on the "unimaginative" Offense here in Big D. Not one guy on the O was not wanted. Palmer, Haley, Sparano, Lee are all in demand.

Simulataneously, Zimmer is held in high esteem in Dallas in spite of the D's performance yet the D Position Coaches are not even in demand by the league's other teams. No one wants them.

Crazy the irony and reality and perception outside of this city are so different.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd
Quote:
Willis, Hunt, Leonard, Beekman, Grubbs, Brown, Merriweather and Spencer stood out to me. It will be interesting to see the notes on them. Any comment on Tyler for NT -- he seemed invisibile.

OT: Back to the well with Norv Turner? This really doesn't help improve our 3-4 which I think was our biggest offeseason coaching need IMHO. But given we have some of our best coaches now leaving (which where on Offense) I am not sure what else makes sense. This team's staff got gutted and I am not sure how well we are going to do the first half of next season with all the change.

So funny that Parcells best staff was on the O, and not the D, yet fans and media are still nutty over the play calling on the "unimaginative" Offense here in Big D. Not one guy on the O was not wanted. Palmer, Haley, Sparano, Lee are all in demand.

Simulataneously, Zimmer is held in high esteem in Dallas in spite of the D's performance yet the D Position Coaches are not even in demand by the league's other teams. No one wants them.

Crazy the irony and reality and perception outside of this city are so different.
It's definitely the fashion to slam Zimmer around here, but I thnk he's a very good coach. Definitely more of a 4-3 guy, but even with the 3-4 you have to wonder how much BP's approach held him back from being as aggressive as he wanted. He was always aggressive enough in the 4-3.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase

It's sounding like the new HC could be Turner. Not a terrible choice (I'm throwing out his time in Oakland 'cause I don't think anyone can succeed there), but I was warming more to the idea of Phillips. I think he could be the guy to fix our defense, and that was in a lot worse shape than our offense last season.
Yeah I mean that's the thing, how many coaches have succeeded in Oakland with only one year of time. Oakland is probably the hardest place in the NFL to coach.

And Washington is not a fun ride either. If he will ever succeed as a head coach it will be in Dallas where he is comfortable and has a young quarterback to work with.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

A little clip from Randy Galloway of the DFW Star-Telegram regarding a possible transition back to 4-3:

Quote:
Well, one great fallacy, according to NFL people I talked to last week, is that the Cowboys are married to the 3-4 due to personnel.

One respected AFC defensive coordinator cursed loudly when asked about it last week.

Cleaning up the comments, he said, "Give me a month with DeMarcus Ware, and he'll be Jason Taylor."

Really?

"That's the kind of talent the kid has," was the reply about Ware.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Zimmer is a 4-3 genius
He is arguably the best 4-3 coordiantor in the league, I dont see what is funny about that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zimmer is a 4-3 genius
He is arguably the best 4-3 coordiantor in the league, I dont see what is funny about that.
If he was "the best" he could adapt to the 3-4 and do good, don't get me wrong he didn't do terrible. But for all the talent we had on defense he should of been better.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zimmer is a 4-3 genius
Genius is a pretty outrageous descriptor. He is a good coordinator. But genius implies to me that he is some kind of great mind who can think outside the box and come up with new ways to do things and improve the game. He is a good D-coordinator, that's all.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase

Yeah I mean that's the thing, how many coaches have succeeded in Oakland with only one year of time. Oakland is probably the hardest place in the NFL to coach.

And Washington is not a fun ride either. If he will ever succeed as a head coach it will be in Dallas where he is comfortable and has a young quarterback to work with.
Yeah, and from all the things I've heard, Romo is definitely coachable.

Speaking of Romo, did anyone else hear that interview with him on ESPN Countdown this morning? It sounds like he's gotten his head back in a good place after the Seattle disaster.