Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Show me where I said any of that, other than facetiously saying saying that because the Vikings couldn't run in the 4th quarter, that Melvin Bullitt would be an improvement. I don't think you'll be able to find it. In fact, I think I acknowledged a few times that Bob being out was a HUGE blow for the defense. The only other things I've done here is defend my team's defensive performance last Sunday, which, while not stellar, was a lot better than "if it was any other QB than Tarvaris Jackson, the Colts would've lost", and make the point that the Colts have won without Sanders before, which they have.
except obviously, if it was any quality QB, you would have lost.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
except obviously, if it was any quality QB, you would have lost.
Why? Jackson had a decent game by game manager standards, I think by the numbers he had a better game than Orton did against the Colts, but when they got down to the redzone, they couldn't move. You can blame that on the QB all you want, but I'm pretty sure the best trait any offense could have in the redzone is a strong ground game, something the Vikings displayed in spades between the 20s, but suddenly seemed to lack inside the 20. Like I said earlier, if the Colts played as poorly as some seem to think, AD would've had at least 3 TDs, but he had 0. Being able to buckle down and hold the opposing offense to only a field goal when they get inside the 20 is a valuable quality for a defense to possess, as we all saw last Sunday. If the defense doesn't hold them to 3 every time, the offense may not have enough time at the end to come back. All I'm asking here is credit where credit is due.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:32 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why? Jackson had a decent game by game manager standards, I think by the numbers he had a better game than Orton did against the Colts, but when they got down to the redzone, they couldn't move. You can blame that on the QB all you want, but I'm pretty sure the best trait any offense could have in the redzone is a strong ground game, something the Vikings displayed in spades between the 20s, but suddenly seemed to lack inside the 20. Like I said earlier, if the Colts played as poorly as some seem to think, AD would've had at least 3 TDs, but he had 0. Being able to buckle down and hold the opposing offense to only a field goal when they get inside the 20 is a valuable quality for a defense to possess, as we all saw last Sunday. If the defense doesn't hold them to 3 every time, the offense may not have enough time at the end to come back. All I'm asking here is credit where credit is due.
Credit where credit is due? I haven't said your D is bad or anything, I'm just saying that if the Vikings had a proper starting QB not some mid-round experiment gone wrong, they would have beaten you. You're arguing my statement about Tavaris Jackson not being a good qb by telling me he's better than Kyle Orton? Come on now, I said if they had a QUALITY quarterback, Orton is nothing more than a glorified bench warmer.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Credit where credit is due? I haven't said your D is bad or anything, I'm just saying that if the Vikings had a proper starting QB not some mid-round experiment gone wrong, they would have beaten you. You're arguing my statement about Tavaris Jackson not being a good qb by telling me he's better than Kyle Orton? Come on now, I said if they had a QUALITY quarterback, Orton is nothing more than a glorified bench warmer.
How do you view laying the Vikings offensive performance squarely at the feet of Tarvaris Jackson as NOT slighting the Colts defense? That's EXACTLY what it's doing! How do you have arguably the best RB in the NFL and not be able to punch it into the endzone from inside the 20 once? Who are you looking at as a "proper starting QB"? Honestly, you can give them a healthy Tom Brady for all I care, as long as you give the Colts a healthy Tommie Harris or Kevin Williams. You may not have noticed, but the Colts CUT their only legitimate NT BEFORE facing the Vikings, and still kept them in check from inside the 20. If you want to play the "what if" game, I can do that too, but it's ridiculous to me that the Colts defense can never get credit for a good performance.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
How do you view laying the Vikings offensive performance squarely at the feet of Tarvaris Jackson as NOT slighting the Colts defense? That's EXACTLY what it's doing! How do you have arguably the best RB in the NFL and not be able to punch it into the endzone from inside the 20 once? Who are you looking at as a "proper starting QB"? Honestly, you can give them a healthy Tom Brady for all I care, as long as you give the Colts a healthy Tommie Harris or Kevin Williams. You may not have noticed, but the Colts CUT their only legitimate NT BEFORE facing the Vikings, and still kept them in check from inside the 20. If you want to play the "what if" game, I can do that too, but it's ridiculous to me that the Colts defense can never get credit for a good performance.
If the Vikings had Tom Brady (healthy) for a QB last sunday they would have KILLED the Colts. Again, I'm not contesting the D did well, but it's a lot easier preparing for AD knowing you won't need to worry as much about the QB. Yeah they stopped he run in the 20, but it wasn't like i was likely the Vikes were gonna throw it...

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
If the Vikings had Tom Brady (healthy) for a QB last sunday they would have KILLED the Colts. Again, I'm not contesting the D did well, but it's a lot easier preparing for AD knowing you won't need to worry as much about the QB. Yeah they stopped he run in the 20, but it wasn't like i was likely the Vikes were gonna throw it...
Do you read selectively? Read the bolded part this time:

Quote:
Honestly, you can give them a healthy Tom Brady for all I care, as long as you give the Colts a healthy Tommie Harris or Kevin Williams. You may not have noticed, but the Colts CUT their only legitimate NT BEFORE facing the Vikings, and still kept them in check from inside the 20.
A healthy Tommie Harris or Kevin Williams in the middle of the Colts defense not only vastly improves their run defense, it also vastly improves their pass rush, which was already pretty solid against the Vikings. If you want to play the "what if" game, let's make it fair, not "put a QB on this team and...", because it doesn't work like that. If it did, the Vikings would be the best team in the league right now. Whether you realize it or not, you're placing the failures of that offense squarely on the shoulder of Tarvaris Jackson, which I don't get at all considering they have Adrian Peterson and could not get the ball into the endzone from the redzone. As I recall, all the Vikings were asking Jackson to do was not make a boneheaded play that gives the other team an advantage, and as far as I can tell, he didn't do that all game, so he did his job. I don't get this at all anymore.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

I'm not saying that Tarvaris Jackson is a good QB, but had Visanthe Shiancoe caught that pass in the endzone, which he should have because it couldn't have been placed any better, then we would all be viewing Jackson a little differently. Had that pass been caught, they likely would have beating the Colts, been 1-1, and Jackson would have respectible stats. But because that pass was dropped, we get to see Frerotte come in and now Jackson's career is postponed if not over.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote