Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Some stuff on Ryan from Bob McGinn's '08 Draft QBs article

Some things are very interesting, highlights how much of a guessing game the Draft really is.

Quote:
"I'm just glad I'm not drafting one," another AFC personnel director said. "To me, the league has gotten away from these type quarterbacks. You're going to have to protect these guys."

When Indianapolis President Bill Polian refers to the class as having "one contender and the rest pretenders," it's understood that he ranks Boston College's Matt Ryan head and shoulders above the pack. Of Ryan, Polian said, " I never say 'can't miss' but Matt Ryan has really no down side."

Savage, who traded his first-round choice this year to take Notre Dame's Brady Quinn 22nd last year, remains wary.

"I'll say this: I'm glad we moved up for Brady Quinn," Savage said. "If you think Matt Ryan is going to be the answer with not much around him, I think people would be disappointed. I don't know that he has a special quality other than his personality and leadership."
Quote:
1. MATT RYAN, Boston College (6-4, 225, 4.89, 1) - Started for 2 seasons (25-7 record), breaking out as a senior. "This is a one-year aberration," one scout said. "He threw 19 interceptions. C'mon. His best game was Virginia Tech. Other than that, what's he got to hang his hat on?" Other personnel men admire his charisma, work ethic, smarts (28 on the Wonderlic intelligence test) and almost unflappable demeanor. "To me, his arm and athleticism are more like (Philip) Rivers," Chicago GM Jerry Angelo said. "(Ben) Roethlisberger was athletic and could run some. This guy is not any of that. It's not like he's special with his arm strength or accuracy, mobility or strength. It's his intangibles." Posted an NFL passer rating of 83.2. Struggles reading underneath coverages. "I think he is NFL-ready mentally," Seattle scout Charles Fisher said. "He can read the high safety. He can do that stuff. I don't see a very strong arm. He takes some chances that he shouldn't but he can read the defense."