Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Some stuff on Ryan from Bob McGinn's '08 Draft QBs article

Some things are very interesting, highlights how much of a guessing game the Draft really is.

Quote:
"I'm just glad I'm not drafting one," another AFC personnel director said. "To me, the league has gotten away from these type quarterbacks. You're going to have to protect these guys."

When Indianapolis President Bill Polian refers to the class as having "one contender and the rest pretenders," it's understood that he ranks Boston College's Matt Ryan head and shoulders above the pack. Of Ryan, Polian said, " I never say 'can't miss' but Matt Ryan has really no down side."

Savage, who traded his first-round choice this year to take Notre Dame's Brady Quinn 22nd last year, remains wary.

"I'll say this: I'm glad we moved up for Brady Quinn," Savage said. "If you think Matt Ryan is going to be the answer with not much around him, I think people would be disappointed. I don't know that he has a special quality other than his personality and leadership."
Quote:
1. MATT RYAN, Boston College (6-4, 225, 4.89, 1) - Started for 2 seasons (25-7 record), breaking out as a senior. "This is a one-year aberration," one scout said. "He threw 19 interceptions. C'mon. His best game was Virginia Tech. Other than that, what's he got to hang his hat on?" Other personnel men admire his charisma, work ethic, smarts (28 on the Wonderlic intelligence test) and almost unflappable demeanor. "To me, his arm and athleticism are more like (Philip) Rivers," Chicago GM Jerry Angelo said. "(Ben) Roethlisberger was athletic and could run some. This guy is not any of that. It's not like he's special with his arm strength or accuracy, mobility or strength. It's his intangibles." Posted an NFL passer rating of 83.2. Struggles reading underneath coverages. "I think he is NFL-ready mentally," Seattle scout Charles Fisher said. "He can read the high safety. He can do that stuff. I don't see a very strong arm. He takes some chances that he shouldn't but he can read the defense."
Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Brady Quinn hasn't gotten his chance.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His 'less than average arm' is hitting bombs almost every game. He has been nothing short of amazing.

Philadelphia will be tough. Their corners are legit.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh, and he converted 3rd and longs all day. That impressed me a lot.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

that was one of the nicest throws i have litterally ever seen.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's pretty crazy stuff Geo. I remember warming up on Matt after having Polian say that. It's amazing how good he's looked now that he has a legit threat to throw to.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

He better go up in Madden! Haha.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's give the Falcons' front office a good deal of credit, they've done quite the job thus far in revamping this roster as a whole thus far.

I thought they'd have a worse pass defense, even though Chris Houston is doing his part to make that happen.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Houston has been much better than Grimes. Houston has been good for the most part, actually.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. The articles about Matt Ryan around draft day really made me like him a lot more.

I love this kid. We needed this win going into the bye. Ryan is going to bring his A game against the Eagles. Funy thing is, he grew up in Philly (I think)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan
All these girls excited
Oooo ya know they like it
I'm so icy, so icy
Girl don't try to fight it
All yo friends invited
I'm so icy, so icy

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 10-13-2008 at 11:50 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what Matt Ryan is doing is much much more impressive than what Ben did his rookie year.

Ben had an all star cast, and threw it 15 times a game his rookie year.

Ryan has anything but, and is throwing it around 25 times a game. He's more than a game manager. Sure, teams are stacking the box against turner and forcing Ryan to beat them, but they did the same against Ben, and Ryan is making them pay just like Ben did.

Right here right now, he's the clearcut favorite for OROY, and in my eyes, having the most impressive rookie campaign in a long long time. Maybe since Marino.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He looked very impressive, he's already exceeding expectations, that last play was a thing of beauty and something you just don't see from rookie QB's, if they can continue to build that O-line up over the years and get the defense to where they can win some games your looking at a great foundation.

ATL deserves alot of credit, things are looking up fast compared to the way the season ended, but Deangelo Hall just wants to win so I'm sure he's happy in Oakland :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't sleep on my boy Sam Baker :) I knew he'd be the man in the NFL.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Don't sleep on my boy Sam Baker :) I knew he'd be the man in the NFL.

Yes you did. I didn't like the pick. I thought he was a blatant reach. He's played extremely well this year. Our offense went way down in production when he was out. It'll be interesting to see Thomas/Quinn vs. Ryan/Baker in a few years.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So yeah, i'm buying it now.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:09 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just curious, does that one guy who said Matt Ryan would be a colossal bust and Brian Brohm was a top five talent and the only quarterback worth a first round pick still post on this site?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
what Matt Ryan is doing is much much more impressive than what Ben did his rookie year.

Ben had an all star cast, and threw it 15 times a game his rookie year.

Ryan has anything but, and is throwing it around 25 times a game. He's more than a game manager. Sure, teams are stacking the box against turner and forcing Ryan to beat them, but they did the same against Ben, and Ryan is making them pay just like Ben did.

Right here right now, he's the clearcut favorite for OROY, and in my eyes, having the most impressive rookie campaign in a long long time. Maybe since Marino.
I was looking at Roethlisberger's stats to compare to Ryan. His passer rating of 98.something jumped out at me but then I looked at the game log. He never passed for more than 29 times as a rookie. Ryan already has games of 33, 41, and 30 out of 6 games. Regardless of that though, it will be hard to top Roethlisberger's campaign. He had a ridiculous 66% completion rate and an astounding 8.9 YPA.

Speaking of which, one of my favorite stats of Ryan's is his 7.2 YPA. I am not sure if he can continue that, but if he can have a 10 YPA against the bears, I am sure he can keep that up. I like the fact that he does not hesitate to take shots downfield. It definitely pays off. Peyton Manning accumulated 3700 pass yards in his rookie season on a 6.5 YPA. In his first season starting (13 GS), Palmer had a 6.7 YPA. Tom Brady? 6.9, 6.3, 6.9 in his first 3 seasons.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
I was looking at Roethlisberger's stats to compare to Ryan. His passer rating of 98.something jumped out at me but then I looked at the game log. He never passed for more than 29 times as a rookie. Ryan already has games of 33, 41, and 30 out of 6 games. Regardless of that though, it will be hard to top Roethlisberger's campaign. He had a ridiculous 66% completion rate and an astounding 8.9 YPA.

Speaking of which, one of my favorite stats of Ryan's is his 7.2 YPA. I am not sure if he can continue that, but if he can have a 10 YPA against the bears, I am sure he can keep that up. I like the fact that he does not hesitate to take shots downfield. It definitely pays off. Peyton Manning accumulated 3700 pass yards in his rookie season on a 6.5 YPA. In his first season starting (13 GS), Palmer had a 6.7 YPA. Tom Brady? 6.9, 6.3, 6.9 in his first 3 seasons.
Ben's rookie #s were severely overrated. The guy would throw it 15 to 17 times a game. There were games where he threw it even less than that. What Ryan is doing is more impressive bc not only is he doing it with a cast that is far inferior in talent to that Steelers team, but he's also being asked to do more from the qb position than Ben was. He also has much more responsibility, Ben never audibled his rookie year, or adjusted his protection (ironically, Ben still doesn't really do this, but thats a diff subj), while Ryan is asked to do that from time to time.

To me, its not even close. What Ryan has done through 6 games is much more impressive than what Ben did. And I think Ben had one of the better rookie years a qb has ever had. So that says a lot to me.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Yes you did. I didn't like the pick. I thought he was a blatant reach. He's played extremely well this year. Our offense went way down in production when he was out. It'll be interesting to see Thomas/Quinn vs. Ryan/Baker in a few years.
I don't know how fair that comparison is though. Its not like the Browns ultimately passed on Ryan to have Quinn.

I think a more fair comparo would be Schaub vs Ryan.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know how fair that comparison is though. Its not like the Browns ultimately passed on Ryan to have Quinn.

I think a more fair comparo would be Schaub vs Ryan.
I don't think he meant they had a direct correlation, but more of a QB/LT combo that was taken in the same draft class.

Matt Ryan looks to be well on his way to being a very good quarterback, and apparently Baker has been very good as well. We don't know much about Quinn yet, but Thomas is elite already.

Good little discussion to have over which team is in the better situation.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I don't think he meant they had a direct correlation, but more of a QB/LT combo that was taken in the same draft class.

Matt Ryan looks to be well on his way to being a very good quarterback, and apparently Baker has been very good as well. We don't know much about Quinn yet, but Thomas is elite already.

it is going to be very interesting to see. i really want to see what Quinn can do.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post

Bingo. It's going to be interesting to look at soon. Both Ryan and Thomas went #3. Baker went #21 and Quinn #22.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Bingo. It's going to be interesting to look at soon. Both Ryan and Thomas went #3. Baker went #21 and Quinn #22.
As good as Joe Thomas is, i can't help but take the Falcons situation a million times out of a million and one. A good NFL quarterback is just so hard to find. Especially one with as good a personality and character as Matty Ice.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

i wonder if Bill Parcells is saying "doh" right now for taking Long instead of Ryan.