Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rookie Watch: Going into the Bye

Round 2 - Jordy Nelson
This kid is going to be a star. I see him and Jennings as 1a and 1b as the receivers of our future. We weren't as stacked at this position as I thought. It looks like Driver's going to retire right around Nelson's 3rd year, which works perfect for a seamless transition. I think he makes a great complement to Jennings. As a player, he is incredibly reliable. He gets open, he runs great routes, he catches the ball as natural as I've ever seen in a receiver. Look for him to tear up the league after an offseason of weight training.

Round 2 - Brian Brohm
Bust? Looks like it. First year quarterback and we all expected him to look bad. But getting beat out by a 7th rounder is embarrassing. From what we've seen so far he looks like he has the upside of a backup quarterback.

Round 2 - Patrick Lee
We all know he's athletic. With the injuries to our secondary he's played respectable. With all the bad luck we've had with corners I think we finally found a good one (along with Williams, of course). I think he has a bright future as a starting corner for us. Has much more upside than Williams and looks to be developing very nicely.

Round 3 - Jermichael Finley
All I've seen from him is a phantom holding call that cost us a field goal I believe. He's a pretty good athlete but he's obviously red shirting this year. I liked him coming out of the draft, but I don't have much hope for him. He's raw, but I just don't see much in him.

Round 4 - Jeremy Thompson
Looked like garbage in preseason. Played well the last 2 games when pushed into the starting position. I see him as a started down the road. He's progressing very well. I am very interested in what happens at RE for us. Jenkins is good but can we keep relying on such an injury risk? If Thompson continues to improve at this rate he might even be an upgrade there. He isn't a good pass rusher, though he has the tools. He either needs to improve there or we need to bring in a successor to KGB.

Round 4 - Josh Sitton
Looked like garbage in preseason. The coaches are very high on him though. He's finally getting healthy again. They think he can start for us. If we finally get a rookie guard that plays lights out right from the get go I'd be ecstatic.

Round 5 - Breno Giacomini
Physically talented, looks like a career backup.

Round 7 - Matt Flynn
Not so physically talented, still a career backup. He has the intangibles and desire to be in the league but he'll never start. Looks like a valuable backup though, Doug Peterson to Aaron Rodgers perhaps, pending Brohm's status.

Round 7 - Brett Swain
Alright receiver, nothing special. Might bounce around our practice squad and to the roster if we get injuries for a few years, then spend his days as a #5 on a below average team.

Overall a pretty good draft. Thompson and Nelson are the best of the bunch so far. Lee looks like he will be valuable. Finley and Sitton could still make big impacts. The rest look pretty useless, but I'm talking about 5th-7th round picks. Expectations couldn't be too high with where we were drafting.

Brohm, Finley, Sitton are all to be determined that can make or break this draft. I don't have much hope for Finley. It looks like we screwed up on Brohm, but he's a rookie quarterback, I won't write him off yet. I have a lot of confidence in Sitton, even though he didn't look very good in preseason and then got hurt.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 10-20-2008 at 11:47 AM.
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
Pacific
Rookie

Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Round 2 - Brian Brohm
Bust? Looks like it. First year quarterback and we all expected him to look bad. But getting beat out by a 7th rounder is embarrassing. From what we've seen so far he looks like he has the upside of a backup quarterback.
Way too early to give up on him imo. He's looked terrible so far but so did Rodgers when he was a rookie (I could be wrong but I think Rodger's first throw in his first preseason game was an INT). I still have relatively high hopes for Brohm.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
Way too early to give up on him imo. He's looked terrible so far but so did Rodgers when he was a rookie (I could be wrong but I think Rodger's first throw in his first preseason game was an INT). I still have relatively high hopes for Brohm.
I agree, every QB that has ever been under McCarthy at any point (Gannon, Brooks, etc.) have raved about his offseason QB-schools he holds like every march. I want to see Brohm have a full offseason with us before labeling him anywhere near a bust. Let's not forget Rodgers didnt do anything at all until the Cowboys game last year.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordy #2? Don't forget about James Jones.

Brohm a Bust? It's 7 weeks into his first season.

Sitton looked like garbage in pre season? Garbage enough to earn a starting job before getting injured?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jordy #2? Don't forget about James Jones.
I see James Jones as a slot receiver. I like him but I think Nelson has much better physical skills and talent. I see him beating out Jones. I am high (in the sky) on Nelson.

Quote:
Brohm a Bust? It's 7 weeks into his first season.
I said he's still at "wait and see" status. Notice the question mark. But he's looked really bad. Getting beat out by a 7th rounder is embarrassing. I haven't seen the physical skills or intangibles. I don't think he is where we would want him to be, even as a rookie. He was supposed to be NFL ready and, although all QBs are projects, he was supposed to be able to fit in quick. As it stands, we would probably rather snap it to Ryan Grant than run the offense with Brohm.

Quote:
Sitton looked like garbage in pre season? Garbage enough to earn a starting job before getting injured?
Yes, he looked bad in preseason. I also said the coaches were high on him from the get go, more so than the average draft pick anyway. He was starter in name only, he never actually started for us. Who knows what would have happened. I said I have confidence in Sitton. I am looking at both point of views. I really liked the pick, I like him as a player, but he hasn't shown us anything yet. I haven't seen it but the coaches like him a lot, and I agree with them.

Also- Don't forget that I am looking at things right now. I'm not just assuming players will do well because of their draft status or college play anymore. That would be pointless, I could have written this 6 months ago then. I'm looking at it from a "what have you done for me lately" point of view.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 10-20-2008 at 03:15 PM.
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
Goatboy1717
Rookie

Goatboy1717 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love Jordy too. I see a lot of Donald Driver in him. James Jones is nothing more than a slot but a very good one at that.

1a. Jennings
1b. Nelson
3. Jones

That looks solid for years to come.

Goal Line Blitz
Good football RPG for the off days.
Goatboy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy1717 View Post
I love Jordy too. I see a lot of Donald Driver in him. James Jones is nothing more than a slot but a very good one at that.

1a. Jennings
1b. Nelson
3. Jones

That looks solid for years to come.
Yeah, we call that a #2.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Goatboy1717
Rookie

Goatboy1717 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Yeah, we call that a #2.
He is being groomed to take over Driver's spot who is the number 1. So you can call him a #1 or a #2. Thats why I put 1a and 1b.

Goal Line Blitz
Good football RPG for the off days.
Goatboy1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy1717 View Post
He is being groomed to take over Driver's spot who is the number 1. So you can call him a #1 or a #2. Thats why I put 1a and 1b.
I would have to say Jennings is the number 1 on our team right now. I'm not sure if you're referring to the actual spot they line up, ie.. flanker versus split end, but in terms of go-to Jennings is our #1 and will remain that as long as he's in the starting lineup.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Technically, there is no true #1 wide reciever in the Packers scheme.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What else can you expect from Jordyzzz Nelsonzzzz, he told God how to create Jordyzzzz. Jordyzzz would be rookie of the year, only he decided that would be unfair to everyone else since he will win every other award.

Rodgers isn't even the best qb on the team, Nelsonzzz is, he just doesn't want to be part of the Brett Favre thing.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahah^

I like what we have in Jordy and im very comfortable with the idea that he'll one day be our starter in place of Driver

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Technically, there is no true #1 wide reciever in the Packers scheme.
Which is nice i like the fact that we spread the ball around to everyone. I will say though that it's clear that Jennings is our big play guy.