Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default GM for a day...what would you do in the offseason???

Hey guys, got this idea from the Lions forum.

Lets say you can be a GM for this offseason, what to do??

Rules: 1) Assume we pick 18, just missing a wildcard spot.
2) Draft 3 rounds
3) If you desire, 1 FA signing possibilty
4) Assume Lawyer is signed to a 1 yr contract, and Babs is also signed.

If you guys think f any other ideas feel free to offer an opinion. Now GM away!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

To avoid restating things already said. Im gonna use my imagination abit and change it up.

I will agree to only signing 1 F/A BUT ...
I will do all my draft pics (seeing as round 3 is on day 2 anyways)

Ok...

Cuts
WR/PR Jennings
NT Jefferson
SS Fudge
CB Irons
TE Rader
OC Stephanovic

Resign
WR Jenkins
LOLB Boley
SS Milloy
UT Babineaux
RT Clabo
RG Dahl

Extend
WR White

?
ROLB Brooking-Must accept a huge pay cut to finish here or unfortunately we need to let him go. He has been loyal and we are already being nice to 1 vet (Milloy). Right now Nicolas is better than him and to accept a 7.7million cap hit is crazy.

1 Free Agent Signing
CB Kelvin Hayden- Agree with those who say we are already too young at CB so we dont want to draft one. I'd rather Haynesworth but this guy is a little more realistic. Cheaper than Gamble, 25 years old, good size 6"0 195lb and good in zone.

Pre Draft Trade
Here we go...
ATL trades 2009 2nd round pick (pick 50) and 2010 4th round pick
CLE trades TE Kellen Winslow

Works out around the same we got for D Hall. Just what we need at TE and Winslow may not be a happy camper if CLE dissapointing season continues.

Draft
Round 1 - Vince Ogoobasse NT Duke. Muscular athletic NT in the mould of your Hendersons and Strouds at 6"6 315. Can occupy blockers and clog the run but can also get to the QB. Very intellegent and hard worker. Tests well and flies up draft boards next April.

Trade
ATL trades 2009 3rd round pick (pick 82 180pts), 2009 4th round pick (pick 114 66pts), 2009 6th round pick (pick 178 21 pts) = 267 pts
TEN trades 2009 2nd round pick (pick 64 270 pts)

Round 2 - Myron Rolle SS FSU. Athletic and extremely intellegent who plays well in the 2nd half of his junior year and declares for the draft. Stands to benifit greatly from year working with Milloy. Our front office will love his work off the feild and you can bet he will do all he can to be the best he can be.

Round 5 (frm Oak)- Eric Wood OC LOU. Now we start getting into depth guys. He will be McClures heir apparent a few years down the road. We get this guy in now and he starts learning. Wood slips a bit to here as OC usually do, he has great size and can also fill at gaurd.

Round 5 - Brendan Tate WR/PR NC. We take somewhat of a flyer here. He falls due to a terrible knee injury and comes in and gets healthy and then looks to compete with Thomas Brown for the PR spot and ads another threat to Robinson, Jenkins, Fineran, White and Douglas

Conclusion
Sub, the draft picks, Hayden & Winslow, one of Brown/Snelling, and minus the guys we cut and you would have my 53 man roster for 2009. Too Easy and shouldnt screw with team chemistry. I dont doubt most of you hate but i wanna get some headlines while im GM!

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 10-21-2008 at 12:05 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you have Winslow's value way off. I doubt he goes for less then a first rounder
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pre draft moves... I like everything you said about Brooking DMF, but I honestly think we let him go. Its time to move on and I know he wants to play but we can't afford it.

Re-sign everyone you mentioned, and restructure Jerious contract. He is still on his rookie contract through 2010 but I think its time hes earned a little more $$.

FA- Only 3 guys here worth interest to us IMO. Haynesworth, Gamble, and Hayden.

Haynesworth would easily make our D-line a force, but will easily be one of if not the Top DL paid in the NFL. Our corners are young and learning but that doesnt change the fact we have no legit size at CB to take on the big guys and get physical. There are 2 CB in the draft I like in Malkcom Jenkins and Macho Harris. Both play on day 1 make an impact if they were drafted but I also think it is best to add either Gamble or Hayden.

Decision...Ultimately I think Haynesworth will be too expensive and won't want to leave a succesful Titans team. Gamble will cost more than Hayden but might be worth it due to production differences over a career span. Both are 25, but I love Gambles size at 6'1 200, an already 18 picks in his career.

FA signing...Chris Gamble

Round 1) William Moore S Mizzou - Big time playmaking safety we have always wanted and needed for a long time. Big frame at 6'1 230, with legit speed and can lay the wood. Showed great ball skills in his junior yr, and had performed solidly his senior yr w/ a few nagging injuries. Still # 1 safety prospect and future Pro Bowl safety. Will have 1 season to learn under Milloy and Coleman learning our scheme and get even better. Will def. be on the field w/ ST.

TRADE- ATL trades #50, #115, and a future 5th for HOU #38

Round 2) Chase Coffman TE Mizzou - Im sure you all know how I feel about Coffman but Ill give a brief summary. Guy has incredible hands, catches anything near him. Great route runner but doesnt have great speed but makes up for that w/ great athleticism and YAC ability. Matches up great anywhere on the field. Having a good TE will improve Ryan's game significantly.

Round 3) Max Unger C ORE
- Good size at 6'5 300, pretty much a perfect pick for us due to the fact he can play almost anywhere w/ his main position being center and eventually take over for McClure and also getting thrown into the battle w/ Dahl and Clabo. With Unger we have depth at C, G, and T w/ one player.

In the later rounds I feel like we need to address the small things. Possibly a FB, someone to be able to come in and block and catch some passes out of the backfield ( Brannan Southerland UGA, also one of my fellow highschool teamates, so a little of a homer pick). Also some ST players, like a RS and and OLB type to compete w/ Nicholas and make players on ST.

Overall I love where we are at. Solid running game. Franchise QB. Top WR, w/ a good supporting cast.

Defense is holding their own and getting better.

With these additions we are just about there. Willy Mo will soon be a force and Coffman will be a 10 year target for Ryan, and a huge help on third downs and in the Red Zone.

2009 Depth Chart: Offense
QB: Matt Ryan, Chris Redman, D.J. Shockley
RB: Michael Turner, Jerious Norwood, Thomas Brown
FB: Ovie Mugheli, Jason Snelling
WR: 1) Roddy White 2) Michael Jenkins/Laurent Robinson Slot) Harry Douglas 3)Finneran
TE: Chase Coffman, Justin Peele, Ben Hartstock
LT: Sam Baker, Quinn Ojinnaka
LG: Justin Blalock, Signing
C: Todd McClure, Max Unger
RG: Harvey Dahl, Max Unger
RT: Tyson Clabo, Max Unger

Defense:
LE: John Abraham, Chauncey Davis
DT: Grady Jackson, Kendall Moorehead
UT: Jonathan Babineux, Trey Lewis
RE: Jamaal Anderson, Kroy Bierman
WLB: Stephen Nicholas, Coy Wire
MLB: Curtis Lofton, Signing
SLB: Michael Boley
CB: 1) Chris Gamble 2) Chris Houston Nickel) Brent Grimes/Chevis Jackson 3) Foxworth
SS:Lawyer Milloy, William Moore
FS: Eric Coleman, William Moore, Thomas DeCoud

PR: Harry Douglas, Thomas Brown
KR: Jerious Norwood, Thomas Brown
K: Elam
P: Koenan
Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I think you have Winslow's value way off. I doubt he goes for less then a first rounder
The fact that he may not to be in Cleveland may hurt.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
The fact that he may not to be in Cleveland may hurt.
Huh?

In the end it comes down to the F.O desire to get rid of him which is related to how much of a stink Winslow kicks up.

If i am choosing between trading up for Chase Coffman or using the same pics to pull off a Winslow trade your INSANE if you pick Coffman. Winslow was twice the prospect of Coffman and one of the best TE's in the league when healthy. I love Coffman but he isnt the athlete, reciever or blocker winslow was. Thats said, Coffman will be a very very good player down the road. Right now though i think he goes just below where Keller went 30-35
Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
He's a TE who's unhappy. He's got a terrible injury history and honestly I wouldn't be ecstatic if we gave up a 2nd rounder for him unless he really shows he's ready to buy in to what we're building here. He seems like he wouldn't fit the Atlanta puzzle to me.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like these ideas, but I don't see us trading away that many draft picks. We are still in a rebuilding stage. Just because we're winning on the field doesn't mean we can use those draft picks and build for depth, and be a contender year in and year out. Right now it would only take a couple injuries to really knock off what we're doing here. We've been pretty fortunate so far with injuries or lack there of. Lets hope it stays that way but we need to build for the future and that's not trading away too much stuff for a position we likely wouldn't use.

I'll try my hand at once of these later, but it's hard to get a good grasp this early on as to anything remotely close to realistic. The Falcon fans know what a luxury it is to have a good TE around, we had one of the best for years in Alge, but in this scheme it's going to be hard to find the TE we're looking for. Kellen Davis I still wish we would have picked up, 6'6 big time blocker, played some DE for State even, but he's got skills with the ball too.

As far as Brooking goes, it's going to be a delicate situation, letting a vet like that go could cause some major problems in the locker room. At this point I think Brooking would need to opt out of that deal, and re-sign for a 2million/year deal like Milloy. (Who we're not 'being nice to' he's a leader, and we're paying for that, not to mention he's playing at a higher level than he has since he's been here)
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
Draft
Round 1 - Vince Ogoobasse NT Duke. Muscular athletic NT in the mould of your Hendersons and Strouds at 6"6 315. Can occupy blockers and clog the run but can also get to the QB. Very intellegent and hard worker. Tests well and flies up draft boards next April.
Oghobaase is not a nost tackle. He is a 4-3 under tackle/ 3-technique, maybe a 3-4 defensive end. Not even close to the same type of player as Henderson, and not really like Stroud either.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Oghobaase is not a nost tackle. He is a 4-3 under tackle/ 3-technique, maybe a 3-4 defensive end. Not even close to the same type of player as Henderson, and not really like Stroud either.
A 6'6 UT. Why doesn't this sound right?
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
A 6'6 UT. Why doesn't this sound right?
Well, he's definitely not a nose tackle if you've ever seen him play.

He is more Stroud than Henderson, but I don't think he has Stroud's prowess against the run.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Well, he's definitely not a nose tackle if you've ever seen him play.

He is more Stroud than Henderson, but I don't think he has Stroud's prowess against the run.
Sucks for him. Too tall to be a UT and to thin/lanky/weak to be a NT.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I'd probably compare him to a more stout Tommy Kelly.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I like Vince because he's not just a nose or under tackle. He can do a bit of both - like Kelly, I agree. He's solid against the run, and can get pressure as well. With him, our DT rotation would basically be thus, in my view:

Run downs: Vince and Grady
General downs: Babs and Vince
Pass downs: Babs and JA98

Trey and Moorehead would mix in as well.

I'll have a crack at an offseason shortly. Still very unclear as to whether Vince will be 1st or 2nd. I'm guessing his value is only 2nd right now, though a good offseason could propel him up.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Babs at under tackle and Vincent Oghobasse at nose tackle on normal downs would get destroyed in the run game.