Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if we have our choice of Oher, Monroe, and Smith as our LT, which one do you guys want to pick?

BTW, im on board with getting a young, legit franchise LT and moving Staley back to RT. Staley has improved every game but he is still too inconsistent. And if we have a shot at a legit LT, we cant pass it up. With Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal manning the middle. That would be a success, as would getting a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball forever..

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 10-29-2008 at 05:12 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Staley is our franchise LT.... and I would want Andre Smith. Big physical player.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want an OC who is into old-school-style run it up the middle ala John Fox; a strong power running game that eats up the clock.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All for that.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
So if we have our choice of Oher, Monroe, and Smith as our LT, which one do you guys want to pick?

BTW, im on board with getting a young, legit franchise LT and moving Staley back to RT. Staley has improved every game but he is still too inconsistent. And if we have a shot at a legit LT, we cant pass it up. With Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal manning the middle. That would be a success, as would getting a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball forever..
Smith because he will make the best right tackle. Staley has been good this season outside of a few boneheaded plays, like wiffing on Peterson last week, and is improving. Give him more than 8 games, during most of which he played good to great, to call him a failure at left tackle because of a few bad plays.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adding another franchise-type tackle to Baas, Heitman/Wallace, Rachal, & Staley would make an awesome young O-Line that I would be very happy with, moving forward to next season.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Of yeah for sure.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Smith because he will make the best right tackle. Staley has been good this season outside of a few boneheaded plays, like wiffing on Peterson last week, and is improving. Give him more than 8 games, during most of which he played good to great, to call him a failure at left tackle because of a few bad plays.
I didn't say he is a failure. I said if we had the opportunity to draft a blue-chip legit LT if one is there, we have to jump on it. Especially considering how little depth we have at OT. But if we draft a good RT and keep Staley at LT, whatever. Same difference.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 10-30-2008 at 11:21 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rather take a "skilled" position in this draft after having such a boring draft the last time around.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont care if it's boring so long as it improves our chances of winning.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
More importantly, do we want to invest $70 Million in another unproven (in the NFL) QB?!?!?!
We can't keep signing these journey man unknowns. Alex Smith was picked because it was either him or Rodgers, both of whom ran gimmicky offenses in college. We gotta change up the trend sometime. Matthew Stafford is one guy I would take a chance on.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Matthew Stafford is one guy I would take a chance on.
I agree with this.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I would rather take a "skilled" position in this draft after having such a boring draft the last time around.
Boring wins games. I would take a chance on him too.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, boring was the way to describe our draft this last year, but they were in our positions of weakness. Since our Draft picks aren't getting much PT, we have almost all the same needs currently: DT, O-Line (OT), WR, CB. The only "new" need is QB I would add to that mix looking at '09. Now, do we draft for our need again, or do we let the young guys step up that were drafted in those positions in '08?

Obviously we need a QB, and I'll be anxious to take a closer look at this year's group in the offseason. It would be nice to find a gem in the 2nd-4th Rounds that can be developed.

I say Balmer will develop into a good player, but we still need a NT/Space Eater regardless of what D is played next year to help compliment Balmer, Justin Smith, Ray Mac, and Sopo. GET RID OF FRANKLIN!

I would like another "speed" corner, especially if Smith takes over Walt Harris' place. That will leave us with 2 physical corners (which I do like) but we need another corner with a quicker skillset that won't get burned by the faster WRs in the league.

Morgan looks to be the real deal but is still raw and Hill is hungry to prove that he is worthy of a 3rd Round pick, but I would consider adding a big framed "Red Zone" WR to the mix as well. Bruce should be good for another year, but I would bet that Johnson, and possibly Battle, are gone.

OT is a huge need, and I would love to get a "book end" for Staley. I believe it's worth investing another high pick on the right guy, but I don't want to reach (like some teams were later in the 1st Round this year) for an OT just to get one. Luckily (and UNLUCKILY) for the Niners, they'll end up with a Top 10 (or Top 5) pick to get their OT.

If an OT isn't available, I would love to obtain a pass rushing DE high in the 1st, effectively switching to a true 4-3 again.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Andre Smith OT, Bama
2. Mike Mickens CB, Cincy

or

1. Malcolm Jenkins CB, OSU
2. Phil Loadholdt OT, OK

I think these are some big needs but to put together a young secondary and offensive line is a plan for success. I think we're in heavy need of a pass rusher. I wish we would just make to the switch to a true 4-3 like others have expressed in this thread. I'm thinking Balmer would be moved to DT in a 4-3.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
2. Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin

or

1. Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

or

1. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
2. Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

The reason why the class has not had a huge impact is because they drafted all developemental players. I think Rachal, Balmer, Smith, Morgan, and maybe even Larry Grant will all be great players. Just not this year. The Orakpo, Loadholt draft is probably my dream draft.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's an idea -

FREE AGENCY -

DE Terrell Suggs
OLB Karlos Dansby

DRAFT -

CB Malcolm Jenkins

OL will look like this -

LT - Staley
LG - Baas
C - Heitmann
RG - Rachal
RT - Snyder

How's that guys?

I do want Oher but would love to have Jenkins as it appears after him, theres pretty much no one else who's considered a shut down CB.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

If Brian Orakpo is there, I dont see how we can pass on him. We need all the pass rush help possible.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If Brian Orakpo is there, I dont see how we can pass on him. We need all the pass rush help possible.
Yeah Orakpo would be a great addition.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

vontae davis is also a good shut down guy, but i dont think we need vernon's brother on the team.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
The reason why the class has not had a huge impact is because they drafted all developemental players. I think Rachal, Balmer, Smith, Morgan, and maybe even Larry Grant will all be great players. Just not this year. The Orakpo, Loadholt draft is probably my dream draft.
hellz ya, i would love to get both of them. orakpo would add an instant pass rush. but i would only draft him if we can't get suggs in FA
Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

If we're high enough and he's worth it, I would love to get Crabtree. We havent had a dominant WR since TO left.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If we're high enough and he's worth it, I would love to get Crabtree. We havent had a dominant WR since TO left.
I am hoping Josh Morgan turns out to be that guy.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

It would be nice to have 2 really good WRs. See: Cardinals, Arizona.