Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-01-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
J-Rock was phenomenal on the last drive in regulation and in OT. The TD to send it to OT was part luck, part huge ****ing balls on Jacory.
I dare you to tell LaRon Bryd that it was part luck.

It was a fairly smart move on Jacorys part I thought. Broken play, he had the CB out of position so he threw a jump bll to our 6'4" WR at the very back of the endzone. Worst case, it get batted out of bounds.

We played like crap and still had the talent and heart to pull it out despite 3 turnovers and 13 penalties. Thats a good sign. But we need to play smarter. And Nix needs to go. I again was let down by the positions he put us in. Nice to see Coop and JJ get more work but the middle of the field was completely igored again and there was no intermidiate passing game. It is absoluting killing us because Nix cannot sustain drives.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love it, 4 wins in a row,the swagger is definitely coming back

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard to sustain drives when you have people jumping offsides every single drive. You can't put anything on the coaches for that, just way too many penalties. Great win, great job by the defense stepping up when it needed to. Jacory made the plays when he needed too, Coop had a great day as did James. Fox' injury looked really bad, that's going to be a huge loss if he messed up his knee. I think Nix has been fine calling plays of late, offense did a great job executing plays but the players just kept shooting themselves in the foot over and over. Hooray for being bowl eligible.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Players absolutely kept sooting themselves in the foot but in their defense we had Pipho at LT for alot of the 2nd half. That says alot when you are missing Fox, Youngblood and Rutledge for most of the 2nd half.

Still too many missed oppurtunities. Even the idiot commentators noticed it. Nix gets too fancy and doesnt have any meat an potatoes to his offense. We leave oppurtunities on the table every game due to his playcalling. We cant afford that if we want to hang with the elite teams in coming years.

I mean really, when is he gonna quit with the stretch plays and outside runs and pound the middle? He finally did it today and it helped us get the W but he will ignore it next week like he has the middle of the field, the TEs and the intermediate routes like he has all season.

It really does hold us back. I can live with mediocre coaching but nothing drives me up a wall like coaches that drag a team down like Nix has done all year.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lets bring in lane kiffen

Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
lets bring in lane kiffen
Two problems with this.

1) Lane Kiffin is going to be a head coach in college, or possibly an offensive coordinator in the NFL, not in college.

2) Our budget would never allow for a big time OC hire like that.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

ya kind of a joke

I'm gonna be making some Miami sigs later so far I'm gonna make a Cooper, Harris, Marve, Benjamin, Ojomo,and Johnson

basically because i can only find good pictures of them

Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
ya kind of a joke

I'm gonna be making some Miami sigs later so far I'm gonna make a Cooper, Harris, Marve, Benjamin, Ojomo,and Johnson

basically because i can only find good pictures of them
Bro, if you could make me a Pimp (Thearon Collier) sig like that Ojomo one, I would give you tons of rep and would be forver in debt to you!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

i cant find a good picture, if you can pm me it and ill definitely do it

Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i cant find a good picture, if you can pm me it and ill definitely do it
k sent one!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yo boys, I am gonna be starting a Miami Hurricanes blog(just because I can, and it would be fun), looking for a couple writers... if you are interested... let me know. * points at anyone who posts in this thread *

This is gonna be recruiting, game analysis, program suggestions, anything Canes related. I follow Miami baseball pretty closely so once that starts, it will be included as well.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, if Miami wins the ACC, how long till the fans that jumped from Miami to Florida jump back to Miami?

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

If someone jumped from Miami to Florida they are in no way shape or form considered a Miami fan

Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Turtle, you don't follow the big 3 much do you?

We all hate each other so much, you will never see Miami fans cheering for Florida or vise versa.

DJP, I'd be interested, I follow the baseball as well. Nowhere near as closely as football or recruiting but I do get pretty well into it once the regionals start. Also follow March Madness. Let me know whats up.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Turtle, you don't follow the big 3 much do you?

We all hate each other so much, you will never see Miami fans cheering for Florida or vise versa.
Every team has its diehards, but it seems like an enormous number of Florida fans came out of no where the past few years while the number of Miami fans have been squashed a bit. I just think that there are some people in Florida that have been jumping around a bit with their team affiliation. Maybe it is just because Miami fans have been quieter in recent years, but it just also seems the amount of fans has drastically gone down while the amount of Florida fans went the opposite direction.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Every team has its diehards, but it seems like an enormous number of Florida fans came out of no where the past few years while the number of Miami fans have been squashed a bit. I just think that there are some people in Florida that have been jumping around a bit with their team affiliation. Maybe it is just because Miami fans have been quieter in recent years, but it just also seems the amount of fans has drastically gone down while the amount of Florida fans went the opposite direction.
I'd personally beat the ass of anyone who was a Miami fan who is now a Gator fan due to their success.

I'd say most of the people who jumped on the Miami bandwagon and left moved over to USC. They're the glamour program right now.

Joey, I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's more of the people who weren't fans of anyone in college football that would have been UM fans if they were good were UF fans because they were good. I don't think its a flopping thing rather than a picking a certain team because they were on top at the time. More of younger people who aren't hard core football fans. But yea, any bandwagon fans that were UF fans can certainly stay over there, though I don't really know anyone like that, all the UM fans I know are hardcore UM fans, there really doesn't seem to be any other kind.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

2008 defensive recruit is gone. No name will be released yet by me until it becomes public due to privacy concerns.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Blog that me and Joey are gonna be writing on...

if this isn't allowed, sorry buddies. Delete it.

http://umhurricanes.blogspot.com/

If you are interested in writing for it, let me know.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
When was the last time the our Canes won 4 games in a row? The answer is 2006, when we beat Houston, North Carolina, FIU (literally), and Duke. Not exactly Murderer's Row, but nonetheless, any time you win 4 in a row, it's important.

But what happened after we won our 4th game? We proceeded to lose the next 4 games to Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Virginia. Part of this was the backlash from the FIU brawl, part was Larry Coker, but one thing that everyone forgets about that season is the complete lack of passing on first down.

In 2008, Passing on first down is going to be the key to sustaining success on offense. While Patrick Nix has opened up the playbook up the past few weeks, he still needs to get his QB into a rhythm earlier in the game.

Anyone who has watched a Miami game can predict what play is going to be called at least 70 percent of the time in the first half. Nix seems to have been following this game plan early lately.

1st down : Deep playaction pass down the sideline or draw
2nd down : Bubble screen, run off left tackle, or draw
3rd down : Button hook or middle screen to Cooper

Coach Nix has to use the middle of the field more earlier in the game. Granted, it is a more risky method of throwing, but it's imperative that he test the defense early and attempt to get Marve into a rhythm. Another wrinkle he should put in is the use of more pick routes over the middle. Most teams tend to play either a 2 man under or matchup zone against us early in the game. Pick routes could get guys like Aldarius Johnson and LaRon Byrd (guys who appear to be great at crossing routes) free early in the game.

How about Bill Young? He's allowed a grand total of ten points of offense in the 2nd half over the last 4 games (Kick return vs UCF doesn't count). Granted, the level of competition is going to get better, but any good coach must make adjustments at half time in order to be successful.

Talk about clamping down after halftime....

One thing that I have noticed that he's done is use more delayed blitzes after half and really try to defend the flats. Did anyone see how UVA got 2-3 yards on their dump passes instead of 6-7 yards in the 2nd? I think the main reason for this is to prevent the deep ball and try to keep the game close. In my estimate, he does this because he doesn't trust the offense to get off to a hot start and wants to give them time to get into the game.

He still does not have his personnel on this team yet. In an interview with CaneSport.com a few weeks back, he stated that he barely even has half of his defensive scheme in place. He likes bigger corners to help press the receivers right away to give the QB less options to throw right away when he sends his patented blitz packages. Brandon Harris is going to be a good player here, but he's simply not strong enough yet to be effective in Young's defense. Same with Chavez Grant. If you notice, the times that they have been turned into burnt toast this year is due to the fact that they have tried to press the WR but the guy has gotten a clean release off the line.

There is a strong rumor going around that a class of 2008 defensive recruit has left the team due to personal reasons. Stay tuned for more updates.
Let me know what you think guys.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

PM Scott about it but it should be fine, I know he has let others post their blogs before.

And I'd write for it but I really don't wanna have to put in consistent effort with school and such. :p

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That for your blog, right?

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
PM Scott about it but it should be fine, I know he has let others post their blogs before.

And I'd write for it but I really don't wanna have to put in consistent effort with school and such. :p
Yeah, posting the link is just a one time thing for the Canes fans on here to see. Not gonna put it in my sig or mass pm everyone like other people.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
That for your blog, right?
Yes sir.

Some things we have planned in the near future.

1) A statistical analysis of Patrick Nix's 2008 offense -- How many times did Patrick Nix call a pass on first down? How many times has he used the middle of the field? How many plays have failed because of poor execution?

* I just downloaded every single UM game from this year, this is gonna be a long piece but it will give people an idea of the offensive scheme we are using. *

2) Class prediction(updated weekly) - Joey and I both have sources that we feel are pretty legit. We feel like we have a pretty good idea of Miami recruiting

3) Game predictions and recap starting with Virginia Tech game next Thursday
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

good stuff, i'll definitely read it and could help will some graphics too if you need them