Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
Wow, Andre Gurode added to the pro-bowl:

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id...DD6AC049027F82

Good for Gurpde but come on. All of our alternates go accept Newman. Please give me justice, Ronde drop out!!!!!!!!!!! Is there still a chance or is the deadline past?

Newman should be the #1, not the second alternate.

Next year I will get so many votes for newman it won't even be funny.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! One of my favorite players on our team. I remember when i was the only one on this forum wanting him to start over Al Johnson. He had a hell of a season and should be priority #1 this off-season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Gurode deserved this more than Flo...but it still is kinda sad that TNew didn't get in and these guys did. I wonder how this affects our agenda for resigning Gurode this offseason.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still cannot believe Flozell made it... there are lot of cowboys fans out there, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-06-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Well it looks like Rivera should be arriving in Dallas within 15 minutes or so, reported by Calvin Watkins.
What happened to your Norv Turner avatar?

Sorry... just thought that was tooo funny!
Well I am all for Norv Turner but I think it's going to be Ron Rivera now. Both would blow me away, but I think it has got to be Rivera.

But I will tell you this big D, it won't be Singletary.
Hey guess what genius? I never proclaimed that Singletary would be the HC! duh...

I've always said that he is the guy that I want. Rivera was also a guy I've said I wouldn't mind... Remeber? Nice to see you on board finally.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

How Newman doesn't make it just baffles me.

When I saw Cowboys C on the bottom like I thought it was going to CB and Newman, but it was C and Gurode.

OMG I am so PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
How Newman doesn't make it just baffles me.

When I saw Cowboys C on the bottom like I thought it was going to CB and Newman, but it was C and Gurode.

OMG I am so PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hey, you should be a little happy. It's nice to see Andre get rewarded for a stellar season. I cant believe we had two pro bowl lineman...ha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

I'll sacrifice all 7 cowboys pro-bowlers right now for Newman to get in.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

dallas has 2 probowl OL's.... ...I still can't say that with out laughing :D
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA
Quote:

dallas has 2 probowl OL's.... ...I still can't say that with out laughing :D
It's an enigma.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Gurode earned it, took a spike in the head and still came back and dominated DTs. :D

Now let's find some players to put beside him.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well it looks like Rivera should be arriving in Dallas within 15 minutes or so, reported by Calvin Watkins.
What happened to your Norv Turner avatar?

Sorry... just thought that was tooo funny!
Well I am all for Norv Turner but I think it's going to be Ron Rivera now. Both would blow me away, but I think it has got to be Rivera.

But I will tell you this big D, it won't be Singletary.
Hey guess what genius? I never proclaimed that Singletary would be the HC! duh...

I've always said that he is the guy that I want. Rivera was also a guy I've said I wouldn't mind... Remeber? Nice to see you on board finally.
Who cares if you never proclaimed it? We all know that's who you wanted. I never proclaimed Norv Turner either.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Rivera interveiwed, and it sounds to me like he'll be the new coach.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/DAL/9978965

Quote:
The biggest challenge Rivera might face with the Cowboys -- as the coach or as defensive coordinator -- is adapting a roster built for the 3-4 scheme into his 4-3 system.

He said it's not much of an issue because Dallas frequently used a four-man front. And part of his coaching philosophy is to mold plans around players.
Well, if he is coach, that makes me think the 3-4 will be gone.

Quote:
When asked his chances of becoming defensive coordinator, Rivera said: "I am here to discuss being the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys."
So, he won't be coordinator (IMO).

I don't like it...

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If jones hires rivera, who is the front runner to be DC?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87
I would guess he'd want to bring in Bob Babich.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

the funny thing is we had 2 lineman make the pro bowl...and our best didn't make it(Marc Colombo) and he deserved it the most. who thinks we should go ginn round 1?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock
the funny thing is we had 2 lineman make the pro bowl...and our best didn't make it(Marc Colombo) and he deserved it the most. who thinks we should go ginn round 1?
ME!!!!! If he is there then hell yeah, but he probably won't be.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:11 AM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock
only if we dont resign crayton (we better resign crayton)
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 AM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Flozell got in on name recognition alone.

He committed an awful lot of penalties this year. I still don't want him on this team.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wonder if he'd give his old buddy Singletary a shot, considering the DC spot in San Fran is filled.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

guess i wasnt the only guy rooting for mike singletary then, i would of loved for that to happen...

now im really upset because i dont like the switch to 4-3, thats basically how we have drafted the past 3 or so drafts, alot of players probably have questions marks about whether or not they can adapt to a new role, how will d ware be used? now you take away his outside position and have him playing just OLB in a 4-3, not sure how it would work out....

but i knew soon as we announced to wait after the super bowl, we were going after someone on the bears staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Wonder if he'd give his old buddy Singletary a shot, considering the DC spot in San Fran is filled.
Don't count that out.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gurode deserves it. He wen against top competition and he had an hell of a season. Give us a good RG and we'll have a top interior line. We need a guard who excels in run blocking, so Gurode could help Kosier pushing on running plays.

Btw, I want Rivera as our HC.

Quote:
On why he should get the job: "Well, I think what I'm going to bring to this table is a young, enthusiastic football coach who's got a plan and ideas, a vision on how he wants to do things. I think in terms of building this team you start with playing defensive football, quality defensive football. Not that that didn't play it before, but just bring a style of football I've been involved with in my playing career and coaching career it fits very well with the personnel in place."
Does Rivera like the 3-4?: "Very much so. Because if you look at it, and you break [Dallas] down, how often did you see them in a four-man front? Second-and-long, third-down situations. So they've got guys they put in the 4-3 look in passing situations. I also think there's a place for the 3-4 or a version of the 3-4 that you can still use the talent that's around there and get them on the football field as well."

I think he could handle the 3-4, he knows how to blitz because he has grown up under Jim Johnson, an I think he has a lot of energy as a coach.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to take a minute and point out that we aren't playing madden...we have the ability to move players around as we please. So for anyone going out there and saying man I don't want Rivera because we are gonna run the cover 2..this is for you.

I mean this year we used the 3-4 as our base defense...we played a nickle...we played defenses that don't even have names. We ran a lot of different defenses throughout the course of the game. Hell we ran a 5-2 if you wanna look at it that way...who says lineman have to have their hand on the ground.

My point is that very few defenses can line up in one formation all day. The exception being the Cover 2 defense...because it's such a zone based scheme. But watch NE play...it's a constant switch when they are playing. This is what Zimmer didn't have. Zimmer is a good X's and O's guy but he isn't the best coach. I mean I'm sure most of you remember my pass rushing problems breakdown about a week ago. Coaching was clearly the fault of our lack of consistant pressure.

This is what a guy like Rivera can bring us. He has the creativity. Lets not forget coaching under Jim Johnson isn't exactly your plain cover 2 vanilla defense. Great defensive minds get the best out of their talent. Well this is something that Rivera can do.

I mean what coach is gonna come in and tell Ware I'm sorry son you better get used to putting your hand on the ground your gonna be playing there all year. I mean lets get real, thats just not happening. Sure maybe his hand is on the ground about 60% of the time which would be a decent increase from what he is used too...but noone is gonna come in here and totally reconstruct our defense.

The way I see it we are gonna have about 5 base looks..which isn't to farfetched.

Our DL is flexible..then only time a 4 man line hurts is trying to decide what happens to Canty. He is the only player on the line that would be hampered by the move.
DE's - Hatcher/Ellis opposite Ware makes sense. Lets not forget Bowen who played in the 4-3 last year against the lions.
DT's - Furgy and Spears/Ratliff seems like the optimal setup...Canty would be forced to spell.
ILB's - This is a tough position. Bradie doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed to play the middle in a 4-3 and it is debateable for Ayodele. But Akin already showed in Jacksonville that as a Sam backer he just didn't have the "it". Akin is another versatile guy would could play inside or out.
OLB's - This isn't a problem at all. Burnett has everything you look for in a will backer. At Sam we would likely look to Carp would be my guess.
Seconday - really doesn't get affected from an X's and O's standpoint so I won't go there.

So after breaking it down lets look at it. Lets just say we come out in a base 4-3.

Ware/Spears/Furgy/HatcherorEllis
Burnett/JamesorAkin/Carp

Lets think about this. Is this really so much different then the 3-4. Take Ware and stand him up...you have a base 3-4.

Lets say your not happy with that. Hell run a 5-2
Ware/Spears/Furgy/CantyorHatcher/Ellis
Carp/Burnett in passing situations James/AkinorFowler on goaline/short yardage.

Plus factor in that we still have our base 3-4...we have our nickel...and here is my favorite.

Every year Jerry comes out and says we need to use Roy better. Every year we leave him playing a 10-12 yard safety. Roy is a Rover. He is not a Safety...he wasn't a safety at OU...he was a Rover. If your not sure what a rover is...just take a look at troy polamalu..he plays it better than anyone else.

Our DL could pretty much look however you wanted it to look...we could go 3 or 4 man line. We could put Ware on the line or stand him up. Doesn't really matter. I would say the Rover scheme is similar to our nickel scheme...except that Roy plays the other LB position except he plays in the intermediate range like 6-8 yards off the ball. Keep Burnett as our LB in this scheme. This is the best part. Noone knows what to make of the Henry rumors...but it doesn't make sense from a cap perspective to have him starting FS exclusively, so we keep him primarily at corner for the first year. But when we bring in our rover package...Henry becomes our FS and Watkins our SS. Someone can doubt me on Watkins as a SS but lets face it this kid came in and lead our team with tackles in a year that he wasn't even suppose to start with his lanky frame. Watkins could play the position.

Our Rover Base would look like
Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/ellis (this can be switched up however fits)
Burnett
Roy
Glenn/(Newman)/Henry/Watkins/(newguy)

So there are 5 base formations that you could run almost at any time...depending on how you view the nickel. Now what do you call that..a 4-3/3-4/5-2/Robber/Nickel

Bottom line is we really have the talent to do whatever...keep the assignments simple and just throw in alignment signals from the sidelines...and BAM a versatile defense.

So lets try not to get cought up in what scheme we are gonna run...because I think its pretty self-evident that we won't be running one scheme.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
I like the fact that we could be more versatile, but I'm just concerned about the fact that the past few years, we've been drafting and signing FAs all to fit the 3-4, and I don't think it makes sense to get a guy who has never run a 3-4. I like that we could be more versatile, but it just scares me that Rivera has no experience with what we've been set up to be.
Open up your eyes man....tell me exactly what defense we playing in detroit. I can only think of one guy who the 4-3 really hampers to the point where he can't use his full potential and that is Chris Canty. Everyone else on the defense can benefit just as much from being versatile.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote