Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Soccer Thread

Liverpool has been bought by Tom Hicks(owner of the Texas Rangers) and George Gillett

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...407155&cc=5901
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12
Yay?
very big news this means 2 the major english soccer clubs have been bought by americans in the past 2 years
Old 02-06-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Meh, it's just a growing trend now in the premiership these days, it just enhances the gulf between the good clubs (the clubs with rich owners who can buy players and therefore sucess) and the rest of the pack, who are just fighting for the scraps.

This is **** for English football, the national team, the lower leagues, the fans, it's ********.

In a time where the Premiership is awarded £2.9 billion in TV rights, the ticket prices for us fans continue to rise.

Pure bollocks. This will be the end of the game in England, where only the rich can afford to watch a team they have no interest in. English football is losing everything English about it.

Not happy indeed.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This says soccer thread, so here goes:

Where is Henry headed? Milan? RMad? Barca?
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Liverpool fan i can't make up my mind about this takeover. On the one hand it should help us to challenge the top 2 closer, but I'm worried about the general state of the game as Jango is.

I'm also worried about the tradition and heritage of my club. I think even fans of rivals would agree that Liverpool has a fantastic atmosphere and history that is virtually unrivalled.

I hear the new stadium may have it's naming rights sold, and that is one thing that really has depressed me. Anfield will always be the real name of our stadium and it should stay that way, if they even dare to take away the name "The Kop" from our stands, there will be an absolute uproar.

Worrying times indeed. What do you guys know of these new owners, they are saying a lot of the right things, but doesn't everyone at these types of press conferences.

We'll have to see how this develops I feel. :?

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
snuff

So emo... I guess they don't teach supply and demand in england?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should have started a high school soccer thread :x
Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't comment on the impact to English soccer, seeing i don't live there/experience it. But in terms of america, it should only help strengthen the sport. Eventually, i think America has the capacity to accept soccer like the rest of the world has, but in order for that to happen, we must have more impact in the interational scheme specifically. Americans need to realize how big soccer is, and seeing Americans go overseas to by teams i think should say a lot, however we need some media coverage on it.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

im glad someone talked about this, the guy who bought it or at least half Tom Hicks owns the Rangers and Stars here in DFW. And let me be the first to tell you ever Ranger and Stars fan pretty much hates the guy.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I'd rather see an American owner start a premiership club in America...that's my own personal dream.
they would get no support but if you look at the bottom teams in the tables they get barly 17,000 to their games.

first to 500 posts
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU
Quote:
they would get no support but if you look at the bottom teams in the tables they get barly 17,000 to their games.
I think they'd get plenty of support...have you seen the turn out for Man Utd's US tours? There are enough soccer fans in the US that if you brought top quality teams (not just big name players), people would go.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU
Quote:
I think they'd get plenty of support...have you seen the turn out for Man Utd's US tours? There are enough soccer fans in the US that if you brought top quality teams (not just big name players), people would go.
yeah people always go to these one time deals but would they show up each week?

first to 500 posts
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU
Quote:
yeah people always go to these one time deals but would they show up each week?
If they had their own team to root for with good competition, yes.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

If you put a quality top notch soccer team in the NYC area it would do fine.... the Euro immigrant community would most likely back a quality soccer team...
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
If you put a quality top notch soccer team in the NYC area it would do fine.... the Euro immigrant community would most likely back a quality soccer team...
Exactly...the only problem would be playing schedules.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quality as in what? Good players? Who the hell is going to want to play in the MLS? And if they do it will create an all-star team making it boring.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Quality as in what? Good players? Who the hell is going to want to play in the MLS? And if they do it will create an all-star team making it boring.
Try reading the train of thought before you start asking questions like this. We were talking about having an English Premier League team in the US.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Exactly...the only problem would be playing schedules.
I think the Latin community in the Miami area would host another team so once a year the Eruo teams make a swing to america and the american teams alternate weeks over seas and in america
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM    (permalink
snuff

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3
Try reading the train of thought before you start asking questions like this. We were talking about having an English Premier League team in the US.
He didn't quote the "train of thought" so I had no idea which he was talking about. There was also no mention of putting a Premier team here, just a top notch one. good call though.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
FunJokeshere

Quote:

theres your quote for starting a premiership club in the US...good call though :roll:

as for Americans buying premiership teams...I feel bad for english soccer because if more of this happens, it will turn into the NFL or the MLB with the sport being all about money and not the sport itself...I mean look at those leagues before money became the primary issue, players stuck with teams and played just for the love of the game...but with more American interest in ownership in the Premiership I feel that in the future it may turn into what our sports are like today...which is sad IMO
Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 AM    (permalink
snuff

Such an emo post... Seriously what is wrong with MLB or NFL? Not to mention there is not much different in the Premier league as it is.... The players are all about money. Even College football players have no conscience and they don't even get payed so don't blame money.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
FunJokeshere

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the MLB or NFL...but the Premiership is a lot different than any league here...mainly because most fans of the Premiership actually have a sense of history for their teams/league as opposed to the majority of sports fans here

and yes the players in all Euro leagues for that matter are money driven, but not nearly as much as any professional players here...most players in Euro leagues make a majority of their money in sponsorship and advertising not from clubs themselves...and when players do leave teams for more money its to another league not to a rival team (Adam Vinatieri..sp?)...granted theres only one real pro league for our sports but still

and I don't care if you think it is emo that its a shame that the capitalism and greed from America is spreading to other previously barely American-influenced sports in other countries
Old 02-07-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
snuff

What do you mean more history? I think your insane... People on here are just to young, that is why the history is the way it is. There is no different outside the age of some teams.

As for the changing to rival's... It doesn't happen all the often and it probably happens in the English premier league, but you just don't follow it close enough or something.

How about Ashley Cole or Michael Owen?