Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
DAng people I was just kidding, jeez...

teh internetz = seriuzzz biznezzz!
Well, let me say, i don't find it funny. Make it obvious. Like picking on Jordyzzzzzzz

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if you were joking initially, which I doubt, he has shown flashes since DJ Hackett has been out injured. If you knew what you were talking about you would've known that he helped ice the game against Arizona and New Orleans with big catches on third and long.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Even if you were joking initially, which I doubt, he has shown flashes since DJ Hackett has been out injured. If you knew what you were talking about you would've known that he helped ice the game against Arizona and New Orleans with big catches on third and long.
Thanks blindsite for watching carolina games.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
DAng people I was just kidding, jeez...

teh internetz = seriuzzz biznezzz!
hahahaha there is no way you were kidding, it was cool that you manned up and said you had no BS left, but you definitely meant everything you said and trying to play it off like you were joking is pretty lame

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

The reason why so many players are considered busts is the high standard of success expected from high draft picks. You notice this when people call Kerry Collins a dissapointment. He was never the dominant player people thought he would be but his longevity and team success most QBS would envy. It is like in basketball lot of NBA writers and "experts" say thngs like to be an NBA superstar you have to lead your team to multiple championships. Nothing is ever good enough for fans and pundits.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
The reason why so many players are considered busts is the high standard of success expected from high draft picks. You notice this when people call Kerry Collins a dissapointment. He was never the dominant player people thought he would be but his longevity and team success most QBS would envy. It is like in basketball lot of NBA writers and "experts" say thngs like to be an NBA superstar you have to lead your team to multiple championships. Nothing is ever good enough for fans and pundits.
Exactly. When you look at the draft system, what normally is bet on is their boom-bust factor. If they're not 'booming' they're clearly 'busting'. Which isn't the reality of the matter.

It's why I have such a hard time figuring out WHY coaches who've been around the block for 20, 30 years get all fidgety at media pressure... because lets face it, the media is wrong most of the time... but the talking head news cycle creates fan pressure, and subsequently organizational pressure which didn't occur 10 years ago. face it though, we're wrong most of the time. We are not professionals no matter how much time we spend, because if we were good enough to be professionals, we'd be like toonster.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sticky!!

10char

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:18 AM    (permalink
renegade
Rookie

renegade is a cocksman.renegade is a cocksman.renegade is a cocksman.renegade is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
hahahaha there is no way you were kidding, it was cool that you manned up and said you had no BS left, but you definitely meant everything you said and trying to play it off like you were joking is pretty lame
I wasn't joking but I definitely wasn't serious, it was a half ass attempt at an argument.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
the talking head news cycle creates fan pressure, and subsequently organizational pressure which didn't occur 10 years ago
Also, back in the day, they would draft someone and never play them until they were ready to get on the field, instead of just throwing them out there to sink or swim... and develop career-ruining habits.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks blindsite for watching carolina games.
wait... blindsite is a... Panthers fan...?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Also, back in the day, they would draft someone and never play them until they were ready to get on the field, instead of just throwing them out there to sink or swim... and develop career-ruining habits.
the thing is if your investing 60+ mill in someone you would like to see results pretty damn quick
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
the thing is if your investing 60+ mill in someone you would like to see results pretty damn quick
I dont disagree but this would bring us to the rookie salary cap discussion which has been beaten to death.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:

That's not the point. You're going to give them 60 mil any way.
That's just impatience. Again, what i believe is a fundamental flaw in the way things are run.

This is where you run into the concept of creating incentive laden contracts with less guaranteed money.

Last edited by awfullyquiet : 11-11-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Johnson has less than half of the TD's LenWhale White has. He's a bust fa sho.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Chris Johnson has less than half of the TD's LenWhale White has. He's a bust fa sho.
he also had 8 yards this week....BUST

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he also had 8 yards this week....BUST
He busted hard. And yes, that's what she said.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's not the point. You're going to give them 60 mil any way.
That's just impatience. Again, what i believe is a fundamental flaw in the way things are run.

This is where you run into the concept of creating incentive laden contracts with less guaranteed money.

everyone is not in a postion where they can afford to be patient
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
jsa230
Rookie

jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jsa230 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think its official....ahmad carroll = BIG TIME BUST!
jsa230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa230 View Post
I think its official....ahmad carroll = BIG TIME BUST!
not at all just give him time......
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
everyone is not in a postion where they can afford to be patient
why?

what's going to be the loss? their job? are high impact developmental players worth it? because, i think that's the question you're asking me, when you get down to the root of it all.

let me ask you. is drew brees the guy you'd wait around for? jason campbell? Amobi Okoye? or other Branden Albert? I don't care the size of their contract, and neither should you. I expect from each player, regardless on what their draft order is to live up to the potential i think they have... Maybe not me personally, but, if i was a coaching staff. I can tell you, hey. I got a pretty good player here. Because as soon as you get on the field, it doesn't matter if your the first pick or mr. irrelevant. You're on the field. If you play well, you play well. If not, and you have potential, NO MATTER YOUR DRAFT POSITION, you will be worked on to try to improve. I think this is a lot more important to improve the skills of these players instead of worrying about if they're a bust. Work on their mechanics, their techniques, their footwork...

If you're going to be scouting these players, and you know you got someone good, it shouldn't matter what position they're at, or how much they make. That's a front office decision. Not a playing decision. Sure. You can say they're completely undervalue/overvalue their contract... but... again, that's not a playing issue or a coaching issue. that's a front office issue.

i don't care what their contract is. that should have NOTHING to do if they're a bust or not. a bust is someone who does not perform or improves on a given time scale based on initial translation to the NFL.

some people have the skill to translate to the nfl very easily, some don't. but to say if they have a hard time translating doesn't mean they have talent that isn't translatable. i have a hard time believing some talent reports sometimes because frankly, so much of it depends on the intanglebles these days, there are so many fantastic specimens out there of physical talents... intangables are now the way to go, and modern scouting does a rough job of determining it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Pb&j
Rookie

Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.

Dare I say... this thread is a bust?
Pb&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because owners and fans are #$(*&#$(ing idiots and demand a new coach if the one they just hired isn't winning the super bowl in two seasons.

realistically, i blame the morons who root for these teams more than the media. if anyone actually had an attention span of over 5.3 seconds, they might be able to see the bigger picture (as in, hey, this QB we just drafted isn't going to lead us to the super bowl considering we have the worst defense in NFL history... maybe i shouldn't call for his head just yet).
agreed. again. this is the espn news cycle we deal with on a day to day basis that ruins teams.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
why?

what's going to be the loss? their job? are high impact developmental players worth it? because, i think that's the question you're asking me, when you get down to the root of it all.

let me ask you. is drew brees the guy you'd wait around for? jason campbell? Amobi Okoye? or other Branden Albert? I don't care the size of their contract, and neither should you. I expect from each player, regardless on what their draft order is to live up to the potential i think they have... Maybe not me personally, but, if i was a coaching staff. I can tell you, hey. I got a pretty good player here. Because as soon as you get on the field, it doesn't matter if your the first pick or mr. irrelevant. You're on the field. If you play well, you play well. If not, and you have potential, NO MATTER YOUR DRAFT POSITION, you will be worked on to try to improve. I think this is a lot more important to improve the skills of these players instead of worrying about if they're a bust. Work on their mechanics, their techniques, their footwork...

If you're going to be scouting these players, and you know you got someone good, it shouldn't matter what position they're at, or how much they make. That's a front office decision. Not a playing decision. Sure. You can say they're completely undervalue/overvalue their contract... but... again, that's not a playing issue or a coaching issue. that's a front office issue.

i don't care what their contract is. that should have NOTHING to do if they're a bust or not. a bust is someone who does not perform or improves on a given time scale based on initial translation to the NFL.

some people have the skill to translate to the nfl very easily, some don't. but to say if they have a hard time translating doesn't mean they have talent that isn't translatable. i have a hard time believing some talent reports sometimes because frankly, so much of it depends on the intanglebles these days, there are so many fantastic specimens out there of physical talents... intangables are now the way to go, and modern scouting does a rough job of determining it.
*slow clap for AQ*

you also deserve one for the young actresses/hot chick thread as well

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
*slow clap for AQ*
Yes! I use the slow clap a lot. Mainly in my TX History lecture.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
they have tx history? as a college course?

wow. i shouldn't be shocked.
you know. it was a separate country. like hawaii... only with more assholes.