Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell is not even worth being called a bust yet I think. Everyone must acknowledge the terrible situation he is in Oakland and that is a huge reason for why his development is not on track. With a terrible organization that signs Kwame Harris to play LT, signs Javon Walker, you really can't expect him to put up numbers worthwhile.

Despite that though, I think Russell is not a terrible QB. He has shown his share of flashes, especially considering the situation he is in. Some of his TD passes are ridiculous and every once in a while he makes throws that make your jaw drop (his first TD throw made me do that. he rolled out of the pocket and zipped the ball downfield 40 yards to a yard above the ground where only his guy could get it). If he can get consistency around him (what happened to the running game?), he can still definitely pan out.

He also needs to look downfield more. During the Falcons game, he had 6 completions. Five out of the six completions went to either a RB or TE. He needs to look for his WRs more and throw downfield a bit more.

Once again, I would love to be the GM of Oakland. Sign some big guys for guards and RT. With the first pick, draft Eugene Monroe, or another top rated pass blocker. Franchise Asomugha and trade him for 2 firsts or something. Fire Rob Ryan.

It would be fun.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

There isn't a young QB in the league that could succeed with the cast he has from turnstile Oline, to lack of playmaking WR, to terrible offensive playcalling. Not to mention banged up RBs who are not producing.

The only QB who could do anything with that team is Michael Vick by improvising with his 4.3 speed.

I swear I've never seen a QB pronounced as a bust as early as Russell. People were doing it as early as last year. And now 12 games he's played with trash as a cast and he's a bust. It's a joke.

Look at Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman who threw for more INTs than TDs their 1st year as starters. Are those guys busts? In fact Troy Aikman threw for more INTs than TDs his first TWO years as a starter.

JaMarcus at least has a positive TD/INT ratio. My goodness if he had twice as many picks as TDs like Aikman did his first year, I can't imagine how many people would be bashing him
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
The only QB who could do anything with that team is Michael Vick by improvising with his 4.3 speed.
Probably not even then.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give Russell to a good coach and he'll be a good QB IMO.

My belief on young QB's drafted high that played in pro offenses in college is that they shouldn't bust unless the franchise stupid with them. Guys like David Carr and Russell get screwed by their teams just as much, if not moreso, than they might seemingly screw themselves.

QB's are a whole different animal form the other positions IMO, mostly because seemingly the hopes and dreams of the franchise are placed on their shoulders. They are ridiculously easy to mismanage, and just as fragile in their development in as a ML pitcher.

Russell is too young to be labeled a bust yet though. I hope some smart team can take him before too late...I wouldn't even mind the Jets taking a shot...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Give Russell to a good coach and he'll be a good QB IMO.

My belief on young QB's drafted high that played in pro offenses in college is that they shouldn't bust unless the franchise stupid with them. Guys like David Carr and Russell get screwed by their teams just as much, if not moreso, than they might seemingly screw themselves.

QB's are a whole different animal form the other positions IMO, mostly because seemingly the hopes and dreams of the franchise are placed on their shoulders. They are ridiculously easy to mismanage, and just as fragile in their development in as a ML pitcher.

Russell is too young to be labeled a bust yet though. I hope some smart team can take him before too late...I wouldn't even mind the Jets taking a shot...
I really did'nt know if someone could be put in a worse situation than Alex was in.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my feelings on jamarcus are well documented. check the sig. its been there since before he was drafted. that said, its too early for him to have the official title of bust.