Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default LaDainian Tomlinson - going downhill?

This guy seems to be going downhill pretty fast in my opinion. While at one point he was clearly the best running back in the league, I don't think this year he's even in the top five. Over the past three years, he's gone from 28 touchdowns to 15 touchdowns to 5 (incl. so far in the Steelers game) and his YPC has dipped significantly (about 1.5 yards.) Does LT just have too many touches? He seems to be doing what Edgerrin James is and just becoming a three yards and a cloud of dust guy.

So far:

2 games with 5-5.9 yards per carry
1 game with 4-4.9 yards per carry
2 games with 3-3.9 yards per carry
4 games with 2-2.9 yards per carry (5 if he finishes this game how he started it)

2 games over 100 yards (Raiders/Saints)
3 games under 50 yards (not incl. this game)

3 games in which he has scored a rushing touchdown (incl. this game)

I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt for having taken so many carries but I just can't really see him as one of the five or ten best running backs in the league this year. Even guys like Thomas Jones are way ahead of him statistically, and I can't shake the feeling that with the coming of Norv Turner, the Chargers became Philip Rivers' team, where Tomlinson is a member of Rivers' supporting cast rather than a focal point. What do you all think?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't this hes going to be that "fantasy star" anymore but I think he will still be an effective RB for maybe 2 more years, then he can go be the next Shaun Alexander, RB's do have short careers and I think L.T. will prove it to us in a couple years. Hope he gets a ring though..
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

I was hoping that he would break some of Emmit Smith's records and get a ring but at the pace hes going it seems unlikely, hopefully his foot/toe is still bothering him and he will rebound.
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think San Diego Lacking a passrush/defense is really limiting his opportunities in all reality.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I think San Diego Lacking a passrush/defense is really limiting his opportunities in all reality.
wouldn't that increase his carries and time on the field?
and its not liek he's not getting carries, he's 9th in the league in touches
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
wouldn't that increase his carries and time on the field?
and its not liek he's not getting carries, he's 9th in the league in touches
Good D= Shor Drives for Opponents = Punts = SD Leads = More Rushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Even guys like Thomas Jones are way ahead of him statistically, and I can't shake the feeling that with the coming of Norv Turner, the Chargers became Philip Rivers' team, where Tomlinson is a member of Rivers' supporting cast rather than a focal point. What do you all think?
I think this is what the Chargers desperately want to believe, but that offense is screwed without Tomlinson. That passing game has deep strike ability, but it doesn't consistently stay on the field, which makes their defense play an extremely high number of snaps. And their defense isn't in great shape this year even without spending excessive time on the field.

Tomlinson has had a rough season, but that offensive line hasn't been the same in the run game and toe injuries are a bit thing for a guy who plants and cuts as often as he does.

Tomlinson isn't 25 anymore. He isn't going to be the best runner in the NFL anymore. But I've thought I saw him slowing before (2004) and he came back with three excellent seasons. In short, I can't make any sort of prediction, because I honestly think that if that Charger offensive line was in its 2006 form and LT was healthy, he'd be near the top of the rushing pile.

Wait until next year. Either the Chargers, who get to see him every practice, will stick with him and that team will hopefully improve around him, or they'll go out and land a replacement.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is 29 years old now. Thats the age where most RB's start slowing down. I expect him to still be a factor, but not like he was the last couple years

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also think under Norv, the Chargers are more of a pass first team. Plus they've got injuries everywhere. I think the team itself is just having a bad year.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is still the best receiving RB in this game

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
I think Westbrook and Bush better, and maybe even Kevin Faulk.

Tomlinson projected - 59 catches
Westbrook projected - 52 catches (and he's been hurt)
Bush projected - 75 catches (and he's been hurt)
Faulk projected - 48 (as a backup)
Old 11-16-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Rayray52
Veteran

Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.Rayray52 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Reggie Bush
Rayray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If people actually watch a game instead of looking at stats, u would see that the line has been playing piss poor in run blocking.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

You have to take into consideration the amount a toe injury can affect a RB, especially one like Tomlinson. His best days were a direct result of his ability to cut on a dime and sneak through a hole that many backs couldn't. I don't care what reports say, his toe isn't and won't be 100% this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

With that said, San Diego needs to get a compliment RB back there other than Sproles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
With that said, San Diego needs to get a compliment RB back there other than Sproles.
They did trade up for Hester, he just isn't any good.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Please dont remind me that we did that

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray52 View Post
Reggie Bush
Stats don't lie.

I've heard that for the better part of the season LT has been running 'scared' or afraid of contact. If that's the case it may be more of a mental issue rather than physically although I'm still not 100% certain what to make of this toe injury to this point.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
Please dont remind me that we did that
Why, you don't think this team could use it's 2nd rounder next year instead of a useless white slow rb/fb tweener? It's okay, maybe New England will give it back to us.

I'll always love SD but this team is officially circling the drain. AJ Smith's recent major gaffe's (replacing 14-2 Marty with NORV, 1st round nonfactors like Davis and Cason, 2nd round busts like Eric Weddle and Jacob Hester, Ted Cottrell, no free agency, refusal to address the O-line) have closed the door on our championship window.

For the record I was ridiculously high on Cason but the guy has disappeared since the opening month of the season, and that's unacceptable.

I was also ridiculously high on this team but all you have to do is look at the players laughing and joking after these losses, continue dancing after insignificant tackles, and just hope wholesale changes are coming.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, with recent "best" RBs in the league fizzling out so fast after reaching the top, this makes me appreciate what Emmitt Smith did even more. It's just another reminder of the old Not For Long cliche.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
You have to take into consideration the amount a toe injury can affect a RB, especially one like Tomlinson. His best days were a direct result of his ability to cut on a dime and sneak through a hole that many backs couldn't. I don't care what reports say, his toe isn't and won't be 100% this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
I've heard that for the better part of the season LT has been running 'scared' or afraid of contact. If that's the case it may be more of a mental issue rather than physically although I'm still not 100% certain what to make of this toe injury to this point.
Tomlinson doesn't look tough or quick at all this year, which is what happened to Shaun Alexander immediately preceding his free fall. LaDainian: stop whining about being nicked up - we're past halfway into the year, every player is nicked up. Deal with it.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Tomlinson doesn't look tough or quick at all this year, which is what happened to Shaun Alexander immediately preceding his free fall. LaDainian: stop whining about being nicked up - we're past halfway into the year, every player is nicked up. Deal with it.
Alexander also had the benefit of having the best left side maybe in the history of the game with Walter Jones and Hutchinson...they never ran to the right lol.

i think alot of LT's problems this year have come from the injury. just seems like an injury that would just keep bothering him with the way he runs.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why don't you guys get a shovel.. Count him out at your own peril. He will not return to his MVP form, but I don't think he is going to fade into oblivion as easy as you all think he will.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One bad year doesn't break a career. You also have to look at the overall team play.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Honestly, with recent "best" RBs in the league fizzling out so fast after reaching the top, this makes me appreciate what Emmitt Smith did even more. It's just another reminder of the old Not For Long cliche.
I'm sorry I told myself I was going to stay out of this thread, but this is just revisionist history.

LT has been setting records since 2001. I don't know if you're watching Charger games but the blocking hasn't been there, and the defense couldn't get off the field if it was on fire (which it might be by our next home game).

To lump him in with any one-shot wonder is just plain dumb. To put "best" in quotes...also dumb. As much as I pride myself on sarcasm I usually make it a point to avoid anything personal or actually insulting.

The casual fan wondering "LT might be slowing done" or "LT is having a bad year," that's okay with me. Everyone is entitled to their opnion.

But when the line gets crossed to "LT was never that great, he fizzled out fast", that is straight up stupid.

and now it's time to get drunk. I suspect threads like this will be popping up for the rest of the season, so I've gotta pace myself. :D
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote