Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
when i was watching that offense yesterday, just being the football dork that i am, i was thinking of ways to "stop" it. and honestly, your best bet is just attacking the protection schemes.

their protection can be had, that oline is not on the same level it was last year, and if you can stretch them with stunts and fire gaps, and use some blitzes to compound on that, you can create pressure. then just hope your coverage integrity is good enough to hold up.

also do some disguising to go along with that. thats really the best way to attack them.

Washington is very good at disguising coverages. you should check out their defense some time Shock. Its almost the opposite of ours. Almost exclusive 4 man rushes, and its heavily built on disguising coverages. those safeties are so good, you gotta check it out.

they really try to set you up. its not even just the playcall, its how they set up playcalls. theyll purposely show you one thing one play, with the intent of showing you the same look later in the game, baiting you to make an audible, but then at the hike that "look" becomes totally different, attack the audible that they were hoping youd audible too. its pretty neat.

Yeah protection is the way I'd go about it if I was a defensive guy. This for any team at all levels. I was helping out scouting for the HS I went to. They needed another eye so they gave me film on the opposing team. I broke down both the offense and the defense for the other team.

Offense:

I broke down their formations they used, and went through their running game and wrote down all the different concepts they used. Then when it came to passing I started with protections. I noticed the guy had a 3 and a 5 step drop, so then I went to their protection and realized they used a wedge protection with 2 backs in a split set, and both rushed to the middle like it was a punt protection. In the quick game, they had a split backfield, and both backs went to their respective side, and got the end man on the LOs or EMLOS. and the qb basically catch step and throw to a WR running a slant or hitch or basically short route.

So my point is if that is done for a simple HS game, then Pro coaches are using cutups by the scouting department for the pro games. You would first look at how many step drops Romo takes, and then disect the protections, and do that for all their passing. Then install a defensive gameplan based on that. It can be done, it's alot of work, and not easy, but good coaches and a good staff do that to prepare. So I would rely on that to disrupt the scenerio you gave. Any offense and any defense has a weakness to beat them. It's all about solving the puzzle and finding the way. That's why I love breaking down film. The answer to the puzzle is right there. You do your best to find the answer, if you ever do, and then implement it. Then it's up to the players.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I still think the Steelers need a better power back to compliment with Willie Parker. I wonder if they might go after Jacobs in the offseason if we don't resign him.

That would seem nice...But they just drafted Mendenhall, and have Moore. The Steelers NEED to get some OL this offseason.
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
:( Unfortunately I agree with you. Tomlin needs to take over the playcalling and get back to Steelers ball. Bruce Arians is a Mike Martz wannabe. I think Ben threw it 41 times yesterday. That is special ed. Should not be like that.
Arians should be given the Old Yeller Treatment.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, i'd really just laugh if the Steelers went after Jacobs with the intention of keeping Willie Parker on the roster as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week 11 Thoughts

Nice write-up, BBD. Some of my thoughts:

- There needs to be a change in Philadelphia. There must be a change ... and I'd keep Reid over McNabb. I've never liked McNabb, and he's only gotten worse in recent years as he opens his stupid idiot mouth instead of getting things done on the field. The best player on the offense and the team is Westbrook and it's not even close, that tells you about McNabb. Time to start the Kevin Kolb era imo, and with the huge demand for quarterbacks in the league, the best part is that the Iggles can likely get another first round pick for a consecutive year out of trading McNabb.

McNabb hasn't lead this team to the playoffs since 2004, no way in heck do I give him 2006 because the team was .500 at best until Garcia came in and Westbrook rightfuly took over the show. I don't think Philly makes the playoffs this year, so that's four consecutive years McNabb can't lead his team to the playoffs. Dump that loser.

Oh and Donovan? It's not because you're black. It's because you're not good enough.

- I wasn't impressed with Dallas last night, not one single iota. I came away disappointed, including games preceding last night's SNF game, in the Washington Redskins offense. Come on, do something. Maybe Clinton Portis has to do everything, but Jason Campbell is okay. However they are not getting it done, and last night was pathetic.

To be fair, before the season I felt Campbell would really take off once Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly developed so I suppose I fell for the bait of their early season success.

If somehow Washington makes the playoffs, chances are they get bounced the first weekend like last year, because of their offense or lack thereof.

- Speaking of other offenses that can't point a finger at their defenses this week: San Diego (10 pts) and Minnesota (13 pts). 10 pts Chargers? They were lucky the Steelers left so many points on the field thanks to their own ineptitude, but 10 points is not going to get it done. Even though the Steelers only scored 18 ... err, that is, "11" points.

- On that note: I'm not sure this isn't the worst officiating the NFL has seen yet. Ugh.

Although Steelers and their fans bitching about the flags holds no weight whatsoever, because the Steelers and the Cowboys too both commit too many penalties week after week.

- Farewell Orlando Pace, welcome Andre Smith.

- Jake Delhomme, you're awful right now. Terrible against the Raiders and against Detroit at home. The team needs him to do a 180 immediately, because the upcoming schedule won't be as forgiving:

at Atlanta, at Green Bay, Tamp Bay at home for MNF, Denver at home (okay this is another homecoming), at New York Giants, and finally at New Orleans.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Nice write-up, BBD. Some of my thoughts:

- There needs to be a change in Philadelphia. There must be a change ... and I'd keep Reid over McNabb. I've never liked McNabb, and he's only gotten worse in recent years as he opens his stupid idiot mouth instead of getting things done on the field. The best player on the offense and the team is Westbrook and it's not even close, that tells you about McNabb. Time to start the Kevin Kolb era imo, and with the huge demand for quarterbacks in the league, the best part is that the Iggles can likely get another first round pick for a consecutive year out of trading McNabb.

McNabb hasn't lead this team to the playoffs since 2004, no way in heck do I give him 2006 because the team was .500 at best until Garcia came in and Westbrook rightfuly took over the show. I don't think Philly makes the playoffs this year, so that's four consecutive years McNabb can't lead his team to the playoffs. Dump that loser.

Oh and Donovan? It's not because you're black. It's because you're not good enough.

- I wasn't impressed with Dallas last night, not one single iota. I came away disappointed, including games preceding last night's SNF game, in the Washington Redskins offense. Come on, do something. Maybe Clinton Portis has to do everything, but Jason Campbell is okay. However they are not getting it done, and last night was pathetic.

To be fair, before the season I felt Campbell would really take off once Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly developed so I suppose I fell for the bait of their early season success.

If somehow Washington makes the playoffs, chances are they get bounced the first weekend like last year, because of their offense or lack thereof.

- Speaking of other offenses that can't point a finger at their defenses this week: San Diego (10 pts) and Minnesota (13 pts). 10 pts Chargers? They were lucky the Steelers left so many points on the field thanks to their own ineptitude, but 10 points is not going to get it done. Even though the Steelers only scored 18 ... err, that is, "11" points.

- On that note: I'm not sure this isn't the worst officiating the NFL has seen yet. Ugh.

Although Steelers and their fans bitching about the flags holds no weight whatsoever, because the Steelers and the Cowboys too both commit too many penalties week after week.

- Farewell Orlando Pace, welcome Andre Smith.

- Jake Delhomme, you're awful right now. Terrible against the Raiders and against Detroit at home. The team needs him to do a 180 immediately, because the upcoming schedule won't be as forgiving:

at Atlanta, at Green Bay, Tamp Bay at home for MNF, Denver at home (okay this is another homecoming), at New York Giants, and finally at New Orleans.
Reid and McNabb both need to go. You said it yourself that Westbrook is their best player yet he only gets 16 carries. It's on Reid to get his best player the ball more than that.
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Reid will further emphasize Westbrook and another back to spell Westy, once Kolb finally takes over.

If he doesn't, it's probably best to move on from him too.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

Quote:

Could not agree with you more...Cowboys and steelers...while both hurt immensely by injuries....kill themselves with dumb penalties
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive said for a long time now, Andy Reid is the reason why the Eagles are great. He is also the reason why they'll never win a SB with him as their HC.

So its a double edged sword. Do you roll the dice and hope that one day the Reid regime will get over the hump? Or do you try a whole new regime and gamble on it either failing, not living up to the Reid regime, or maybe doing what Reid couldn't do?

Its a tough situation for the Eagles.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ive said for a long time now, Andy Reid is the reason why the Eagles are great. He is also the reason why they'll never win a SB with him as their HC.

So its a double edged sword. Do you roll the dice and hope that one day the Reid regime will get over the hump? Or do you try a whole new regime and gamble on it either failing, not living up to the Reid regime, or maybe doing what Reid couldn't do?

Its a tough situation for the Eagles.
If they fire Reid we could probably say goodbye to Spags even though Johnson is there.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

You don't think the Iggles should give Reid at least one season, if not two seasons, with/for Kevin Kolb? That's his QB and give the kid a chance before potentially a drastic change, I think.

He made a pretty good move getting an '09 1st plus and '08 2nd for their '08 1st round pick in a trade, and then getting DeSean Jackson in the 2nd.

I'm not sure bringing in Hall of Fame coach Mike Holmgren would necessarily improve the situation. Now Mike Shanahan? Hmm ...

Last edited by Geo : 11-17-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
If they fire Reid we could probably say goodbye to Spags even though Johnson is there.
doubt it.

Spags wouldn't go over Johnson like that. If anything, they promote Johnson to HC if he wants it.

Or they hire a diff offensive mind with the stipulation that Johnson remains in charge of the defense, Ditka and Buddy Ryan style.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
doubt it.

Spags wouldn't go over Johnson like that. If anything, they promote Johnson to HC if he wants it.

Or they hire a diff offensive mind with the stipulation that Johnson remains in charge of the defense, Ditka and Buddy Ryan style.
I think if Johnson wanted to be a head coach he would have left years ago to do so.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I disagree when it comes to the Cowboy game. This is what they needed...it was a tough gritty game. I couldnt help but walk away from it impressed. Romo looked pretty damn sharp in the 2nd half for having a broken digit, missing multiple weeks, and playing in his first game w/ Roy. The offense certainly wasnt really in synch but, that will come once they get to work together more....I was happy w/ their performance. Tony was moving around like himself and smiling a whole lot. A totally different Qb then we've seen this year. (Depressed pocket passer) Garrett's playcalling was another plus...wasnt brilliant or anything but, he mixed in some new things. Moved T.O. around more...he did a much better job. And then we have the defense that looked excellent at times during the game. It wasnt perfect but, it was a step in the right direction. There is a lot to like out of this one. I like where we going from this point. The biggest thing for me though was seeing Romo actually look like Tony Romo. This guy has been missing this season. His pinkie should be getting better by the week...the offense will continue to gel, and the defense will hopefully continue to play with a sense of urgency and toughness that they showed last night. This very well could be the turning point.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Johnson is too old to be a HC now, unfortunate but probably true.

The one exception might be Dick LeBeau, he didn't succeed in Cincinnati but come on, who could as long as the problem stems from the top.

If I had a 3-4 team and needed a head coach, I would seriously consider LeBeau. Give the man a good GM and OC and see what he can do in his second stint.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Johnson is too old to be a HC now, unfortunate but probably true.

The one exception might be Dick LeBeau, he didn't succeed in Cincinnati but come on, who could as long as the problem stems from the top.

If I had a 3-4 team and needed a head coach, I would seriously consider LeBeau. Give the man a good GM and OC and see what he can do in his second stint.
isn't LeBeau even older though?

I shed a tear everytime i think about Spags leaving the Giants. I know we can't stop it from happening either :(
Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
-Am I the only one who thinks Jeff Triplett is by far the worst ref in the league? I can't stand this guy. He's terrible. He made some terrible calls for both teams yesterday, and there are always an inordinate amount of penalties called when he refs a game. Especially a nationally televised one. I remember a sportswriter saying once (don't remember who), that Jeff Triplett just loves getting his face on TV, and wants to get as much facetime as he can get. I wouldn't doubt it. Why does his crew always call so many penalties? And why is his crew and himself wrong half the time? Even Madden said once last night (not exact quote) "only Jeff Triplette can make that call"

So I guess Madden feels the same way.
I think he's on the top tier clamoring for the king of crappy refs. Him and Ed Hochuli. After watching the Saints/Vikings game where Hochuli proved his worthlessness, I am not putting him up there with the worst of the worst in refdom.

Quote:
-Kerry Collins is the real deal. He's proven in the past that with a good defense and a solid run game he can be a very good game manager who can make plays when you need him to. All the doubters, I never understood why its unfathomable to believe that Collins can get it done in the playoffs. Why not? He's already proven in his career that he can. Collins is a winner when put in a good situation. He's in a good situation right now. And he's clutch. Yes. I said it. Clutch. He's made plenty of clutch plays for the Titans. His stint in Oakland was what it was: who can succeed there anyway?

As for the Titans, everyone compares them to the 2000 Ravens. I strongly disagree. We have short term memory as fans. This titans defense is good, but its not nearly as good as that Ravens defense. In fact, I personally believe that Pittsburgh is the best defense in the league, and they have the best front 7 in football, not Tennesee.

A more accurate comparison would actually be the 2000 Giants. People forget, the 2000 Giants had the 2nd best defense in the league that year. Strahan that year was very comparable to Haynesworth on that dline. Both defenses are built the exact same way. Even the offenses were similar. The 2000 Giants had a dominant run game, led by Tiki (Chris Johnson) and a disappointing pudgester in Dayne (White: although White is lightyears ahead of Dayne). The passing game consisted of short passes to move the chains, with an occasional deep ball (by the same qb none the less). Same TE by committee approach. To me, the Titans are a mirror image of the 2000 Giants.
Hit the nail exactly on the head. After a few games, I thought Collins was the real deal. I think he's exactly what this offense needed; A complete game manager. If they had an explosive WR then this offense would be completely and utterly dangerous.

I agree completely with your 2000 Giants assessment. I've questioned the Ravens comparison just because that Ravens D was nasty. A comparison I've heard for this year's Titans was the 2002 Bucs. Game manager QB, a speedster (Michael Pittman) and a bruiser (Mike Alstott) at RB, and a great D. The only difference is that TB had Keyshawn Johnson and Keenan McCardell at WR which is infinitely better than Justin Gage & Co.

Right now, I think it's going to be Tennessee vs. NY Giants in the SB. Those two teams just seem to be leaps and bounds better than the other teams in their respective conferences.

Quote:
-Ive read a lot about the Matt Cassell hype, and I wanted to comment on it but never had the time, so I'll say my thoughts here. Matt Cassell is not Tom Brady and will never be Tom Brady.

I know some ppl want to say that Brady was similar when developing, but thats just not true. First and foremost, even when Brady was developing, his deep ball was much better than Cassell's. Cassell's deep ball is downright atrocious.

Secondly, people want to compare their similar dink and dunk game managing styles. But let's compare the teams for a second. Matt Cassell is operating with talent that Brady wished he had when he was developing. This is the same exact team that was the most explosive offense in NFL history. Thats what Cassell has to work with. Brady had a pathetic offense around him when he was developing. Who would stretch the field when brady was young to begin with? Troy Brown? Please. And remember he didn't even have a credible RB until 2 years later. The Pats RB the first 2 seasons of the Brady era wouldn't even start for 28 of the 32 teams in the league. So not only did Brady have similar if not better numbers than Cassell, he did it with infinitely inferior talent.

3rdly (if thats a word), Brady started in his 2nd season in the league. This is Cassel's 4th year in the league. He had plenty of time to sit and develop like Rodgers did, even with the lack of experience in college. Brady had to learn at a much faster rate. And speaking of experience, Brady was a proven winner the few times he was given a chance in college. Cassel didnt even play.

I know everyone wants to discredit Brady as much as they can, and a lot of people hate the guy, but let's be real. Brady is the ****. Cassel is not. Whoever throws a bunch of money at this guy in the offseason is making a terrible mistake. A lot of back up qbs can do decent with that explosive offense, having been in the system for 4 years. Cassel is not special.
I agree, but I do think that Cassell can be a starting QB in this league. Put him in an offense where he only has to throw a few deep balls, has a solid TE option, and a great running game and he'll keep you competitive if not win a game or two by himself. I think there are several destinations for him where he could prove very effective: Minnesota, Arizona, possibly NY Jets.

Quote:
-I honestly believe, that if Bill Cowher was still coaching the Steelers, they would be the best team in the NFL. The offensive design of this team under Tomlin is terrible. With that defense, they should pound the rock 50 times a game like Cowher did, and make Ben a game manager. Ben is a great game manager, let him be that. Whats wrong with being a game manager? I never understood that. Its all about winning, Ben is at his best when he's a game manager, let him do what he does. He's not the type of qb that can spread you out and score 30 points on you. He's not. And the team isn't built to do that anyway.

Where are the screen passes? PA passes? 3 step drops? The Steelers have a terrible offensive system that doesn't compliment their defense at all. This team should be a lot better than it is. Cowher knew what Ben was, and used him the right way. Tomlin is trying to make him into something he's not. Its not about fancy points, its about winning. Just win. Tomlin needs to go back to Cowher power. If they do that, this is a SB team. Their defense is ridiculous. They have more talent collectively then they ever did. Coaching is holding this team back. For all the praise Tomlin gets...i don't see it.
That's true, but who are you going to feed the rock to 50+ times a game? A dinged up Willie Parker? Mewelde Moore? I think what Pittsburgh is trying to do is play to their strengths right now which happen to be their WR's. Until Parker gets back to 100% then they won't be able to pound, pound, pound.

I do agree, though, that Cowher would have at least one more win than Tomlin. And I also fail to see where all the love for Tomlin is coming from. He hasn't done anything as far as I'm concerned. Dick LeBeau has them winning games.

Quote:
-I don't get Philly. I really don't. Before the start of the season, I was more affraid of Philly then any other team in the NFC, including the Cowboys. But this team is just an enigma to me. The only thing I can think of is the fact that McNabb and Andy Reid collectively are chokers. Thats my only explanation. McNabb is more talk than substance these days. And stop blogging McNabb. Just shut up and get it done.
I think it's time for both McNabb and Reid to go. McNabb isn't the QB he used to be and I think Reid's family issues are too much. Bring in some new blood and get this franchise back on track. If you tie the Cincinnati Bengals then something is broken.

Quote:
-As odd as it sounds, the Jets might be the most complete team in the AFC. And an interesting fact: the Jets coming into this week have the 3rd most sacks in the league. And this is without bust to be Vernon Gholston seeing any playing time. If they can just motivate that guy and get his worthless ass to do something that defense could be special. And if they continue to commit to the ground game, who knows what could happen.

I lack faith in Brett Favre as a playoff quarterback though.
No matter how well the Jets are playing, and they are playing very well, Favre is a liability in the playoffs. Going against a Tennessee or Pittsburgh, hell, even a Baltimore defense it's going to be rough. I still think Kellen Clemens is the future of the team and wasn't given a fair enough chance.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
isn't LeBeau even older though?

I shed a tear everytime i think about Spags leaving the Giants. I know we can't stop it from happening either :(
I wish the Saints would be in the market for a HC either this year or next. The Sean Payton experiment is starting to fall apart at the seams, which I knew would happen, and think a defensive minded person (like Spags) or even a hard-nosed kick 'em in the mouth type of guy like Russ Grimm would do wonders for New Orleans.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea but LeBeau is a bad ass. He doesn't look or act 71.

Going back and looking at his wiki page. It baffles me why he isn't in the HoF yet. Ridiculous.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I wish the Saints would be in the market for a HC either this year or next. The Sean Payton experiment is starting to fall apart at the seams, which I knew would happen, and think a defensive minded person (like Spags) or even a hard-nosed kick 'em in the mouth type of guy like Russ Grimm would do wonders for New Orleans.
I think Peyton can be a good coach. He just has no clue about defense, and he needs to give up playcalling. Also needs a power runner to go with his offense.

as you know, ive been a big advocate of the Tampa 2 in NO.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Also needs a power runner to go with his offense.
I told you that offense is better suited for a bruiser. Nice to see you finally agreed.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I told you that offense is better suited for a bruiser. Nice to see you finally agreed.
Bush is still a disappointment at RB though. even though ive lightened my stance on that, its still not a valid excuse for him.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I can't believe you're still on that hang-up. Give Bush some zone-blocking with an athletic OL and let him go, not draws behind a poor run-blocking line. Houston actually was his best fit, but he missed out.

It wouldn't surprise me if more than 50% of his receptions originated behind the LOS, the Saints don't even get him the ball down the field.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

maan, do we really want to turn this into another Reggie Bush thread?

yeah he's not being used as well as he could be. but a lot of it is on him too.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I think Peyton can be a good coach. He just has no clue about defense, and he needs to give up playcalling. Also needs a power runner to go with his offense.

as you know, ive been a big advocate of the Tampa 2 in NO.
I've been thinking of a few of those things too. Payton needs to give up play calling. We need another RB, one that is a bruiser and can get those tough yards that Reggie Bush can't. We need to utilize Reggie better. No more wheel routes or flare outs. Get him the ball in space. Motion him out wide and let him burn the secondary.

Payton has no clue on defense and neither does Gary Gibbs. We need to bring in a strong D Coordinator to get this defense in shape. We need an aggressive, attacking, DC. I'm all for bringing Raheem Morris in from TB and making him the DC. Convert to a Cover 2 and let's go. We have the personnel for it.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter