Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I've been thinking of a few of those things too. Payton needs to give up play calling. We need another RB, one that is a bruiser and can get those tough yards that Reggie Bush can't. We need to utilize Reggie better. No more wheel routes or flare outs. Get him the ball in space. Motion him out wide and let him burn the secondary.

Payton has no clue on defense and neither does Gary Gibbs. We need to bring in a strong D Coordinator to get this defense in shape. We need an aggressive, attacking, DC. I'm all for bringing Raheem Morris in from TB and making him the DC. Convert to a Cover 2 and let's go. We have the personnel for it.
or at the very least, a man oriented Tampa 2 like Chicago runs.

im a huge Porter fan. ive soured on Grant though. he looks so out of shape. whats up with that?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
maan, do we really want to turn this into another Reggie Bush thread?
It's either that or let it go back to being the Cowboys thread it was turning into. Pick your poison sir.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

im a huge Porter fan. ive soured on Grant though. he looks so out of shape. whats up with that?
Chicago sucks.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
It's either that or let it go back to being the Cowboys thread it was turning into. Pick your poison sir.
Denver Broncos Denver Broncos Denver Broncos Denver Broncos.

Thread saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm rooting for them to win the West.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

-I honestly believe, that if Bill Cowher was still coaching the Steelers, they would be the best team in the NFL. The offensive design of this team under Tomlin is terrible. With that defense, they should pound the rock 50 times a game like Cowher did, and make Ben a game manager. Ben is a great game manager, let him be that. Whats wrong with being a game manager? I never understood that. Its all about winning, Ben is at his best when he's a game manager, let him do what he does. He's not the type of qb that can spread you out and score 30 points on you. He's not. And the team isn't built to do that anyway.
I'm on the fence on this one. Bill Cowher had it put in to Arians Contract that he's the OC. Tomlin is in the exact mold Cowher was. A Positions coach for a few years, 1 year of DC, come in, learn the game. Granted, Cowher didn't have this loaded of a team, or Dick LeBeau. However his pantry of talent wasn't empty either...We don't have a "Jerome Bettis" for what Tomlin wants his offensive style.. If Cowher has Arians as OC... I don't know that he reigns him in any and honestly.. If Cowher fired him to take over... I still remember the season where he fired Sherman and was OC and it was outright terrible.

And as for this team.. If Cowher is here I doubt we get Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth or ***.. After watching his drafts and teams for so long.. those guys just aren't "Cowher" guys.

Which is why I think we took Rashard Mendenhall, I'm expecting a 4 headed attack next year. Rashard/Parker split the first/second downs (65/35 .. 60-40) Mendenhall splits 3rd downs with Moore.... And Gary Russell as the Short Yardage Back. I could even see them bringing a guy in as a late rounder/UDFA to Challenge Russell in that role.

One of the beat writers wrote it as... "Mike Tomlin is basically Bill Cowher, Bruce Arians thinks he's Mike Martz and Ben Roethlisberger thinks he's Peyton Manning."

I agree that Ben is not the Brady/Manning QB. He reminds me of Aikman. Now I feel that Aikman is overrated in a sense that the guy was never really "Dominant". But I feel that Ben is between Aikman and Elway. He has the efficiency of Aikman and almost a similar playstyle of Elway.

The Rushing game needs to get open because Ben has thrived his entire career on making efficient big plays off the Play Action..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD
Where are the screen passes? PA passes? 3 step drops?
Well to be fair..

Kendall Simmons (One of our best pulling and screen guards) was lost for the season (And possibly career).

Marvel Smith is likely going to be out the season with more back injuries.

Rashard Mendenhall is out for the season with a broken shoulder.

Alan Faneca left.. While he's not the pass blocker Kemo is, he did recognize the stunt, which Kemo is failing to do.

Heath Miller is also out right now.

And We lost Willie Parker for something like 3-4 games.

But after watching the San Diego game... I want to see more of that offense. It seems like it's starting to click.
WR's dropping less passes.
Ben making better decisions and using the check downs....
Parker showing the speed, explosion and agility to make the edge and escape tackles, not to mention his uncanny power for a 205lb back.
Finally getting Gary Russell to show he can make the Short yardage plays.
Finally including a TE in the gameplan (I'm really miffed they haven't used Heath Miller, the guy is pro-bowl caliber and one of the best in the AFC, they just misuse him).

The game yesterday (Even though Ben threw 40ish times) Was Steeler football in the traditional sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD
The Steelers have a terrible offensive system that doesn't compliment their defense at all. This team should be a lot better than it is. Cowher knew what Ben was, and used him the right way. Tomlin is trying to make him into something he's not. Its not about fancy points, its about winning. Just win. Tomlin needs to go back to Cowher power. If they do that, this is a SB team. Their defense is ridiculous. They have more talent collectively then they ever did. Coaching is holding this team back. For all the praise Tomlin gets...i don't see it.
Again, It's not Tomlin. Tomlin is letting his coordinators make the calls.. But he stated as of the Indy game he's going to be more included in the offensive playcalling. And I think he did a heck of a job against SD.

Roethlisberger was 31/41 for 308yards.. 75.6% Completion.. 96.4 Rating
Parker was 25/115, Russell 2 3rd and 1 situations (2/10).
Ward was 11/124, Holmes 5 for 63, Spaeth 6/55, Moore 5/33

With the Weather getting bad, and the worst of our schedule out of the way (With Really Dallas, Baltimore and Tennessee remaining).. I could see this team really pick it up.

Quote:
-We all know that Ware and Merriman are the 2 best rushbackers in the league, but both Harrison and Woodley are slowly and surely entering the same level as those 2 guys. Both of Pittsburgh's rushbackers are amazing and can do it all. What a sick defense. Add in a blitzing Timmons at ILB, who is almost a rushbacker in his own right, and its impossible to block this front 7 up front or predict who's coming and when theyre coming. I can't say enough about this Pittsburgh defense. Its just freakin awesome. Thats the only word I can use to describe it. Its just awesome.
I love LeBeau's scheme. The only penalty those jokes in white/black stripes called yesterday was a False Start on the Chargers RT. Why? Harrison AND Woodley were lined up over him.

Timmons is making strides, but what is hurting his opportunities is depth. He's the top backup at all 4 LB positions. Next year we'll have Fox, Humpal, Davis and Harrison (Arnold) fighting for PT.

The only issue I see with Harrison (And I know it happens to a lot of defenders) Is that his height benefits and screws him. With his amazing strength his low stature allows him to get under the OT, but on the same token, also allows the OT to engulf him and basically hold him every play. Harrison usually gets out of most of them, but I haven't seen him get 1 holding call this season.

I think possibly the most impressive part of Pittsburghs defense this season is that..

Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel, LaMarr Woodley, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, DeShea Townsend have all missed games.. Quite a few overlapping and we're still holding teams through the season a full 7.1 points below their season averages.

I still contend that James Harrison is a top 5 defensive player in the league and should challenge for the DPOTY award.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bruce Arians was the Colts' QB coach for Peyton his first three years or so. I actually see a good deal of the Colts in what the Steelers try to do on offense.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Bruce Arians was the Colts' QB coach for Peyton his first three years or so. I actually see a good deal of the Colts in what the Steelers try to do on offense.
Which is the problem. Steelers can't pass protect...They need to get back to RUNNING THE BALL. Arians system would work if Ben had time to throw. Until the Oline improves, they should utilize Parker and Moore...and more of Miller/spaeth.
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I'll add that Santonio Holmes was abusing Antonio Cromartie at times yesterday, in the battle of 2006 first round picks.

And then Cromartie might have gotten hurt on the final kickoff return. Any word on him, anyone know?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
That would seem nice...But they just drafted Mendenhall, and have Moore. The Steelers NEED to get some OL this offseason.
There's only 3 Decent OL this offseason..

Vernon Carey of Miami and Parcells can't let him go.

Jordan Gross = $$$$$$$

Marc Colombo...

Steelers have Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and Gary Russell(who should be seeing more SYB Opportunities).

We have:

Max Starks, LT
Trai Essex, LT/LG
Marvel Smith, LT
Chris Kemoeatu, LG
Bryant McFadden, CB

as free agents this coming season.

McFadden has to be the priority because he has been a monster this year before breaking his arm.

Kemo has to be signed because we have no other guards.. Simmons career is likely over(Achilles Tear) and Stapleton is likely our future center.

Willie Colon has the look of a pro-bowl RG but a mediocre RT.. He doesn't have the pure strength of Larry Allen, but he has an incredibly similar playstyle and is effective.

right now:

LT? ~ Kemoeatu ~ Hartwig ~ Colon ~ RT?

Is what we're looking at.

I'm guessing:

Max Starks re-signs for 2-4 years at 4-5M Per.. and we draft a guy in the first to be the future LT (Monroe, Okung preferably).

We need CB Depth (Townsend is terrible),
DE Depth (Kirschke is 34/35, Smith is 32, Hampton/Hoke are 31 and Keisel is 30..)
OLB Depth (Bruce Davis is training for cycling on the weakside, but we have no one behind Woodley)..
S depth (Anthony Smith hasn't taken the next step yet, and Tyrone Carter needs replaced)..

Which is why I could see us going

1) Russell Okung, LT, Oklahoma State*
2) Macho Harris, CB/FS, Virginia Tech
3) Andy Levitre, OG/C, Oregon State (Challenge Stapleton for Center in a year)
3Comp(Faneca)) Dorell Scott, NT/DE, Clemson
4) Larry English, DE/OLB, Northern Illinois
5) Garrett Reynolds, RT, North Carolina
6) DeMonte Bolden, DE, Tennessee
7Trade(Mahan)) Lee Robinson, ILB, Alcorn State
7) Mark Parson, CB, Ohio

I think that could set us up for a heck of a run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Yeah, i'd really just laugh if the Steelers went after Jacobs with the intention of keeping Willie Parker on the roster as well.
Even if we wanted to.. we couldn't, with 0 OT's (Tony Hills?) on the Roster, and only $12M In cap space.. Ward will likely have to restructure and we need to just sign our own guys back.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Could not agree with you more...Cowboys and steelers...while both hurt immensely by injuries....kill themselves with dumb penalties
I really would've had no issues with the Penalties that were committed by Pittsburgh if the Refs would've called at least the "Illegal Contact" as Holding as Cromartie Clearly pulled him with his jersey.. twice.

Ryon Bingham Punching Stapletons face (The play he was injured on).

Or 1 hold on McNeil that was more obvious than any of Wards 2 Holding penalties or the McHugh penalty to Negate Parkers TD.

Or the really joke of a "Pass Interference" that gave SD The ball on the 1.

WR runs into the DB, Ball is clearly uncatchable.. and the refs flag that? But for Defensive?

Then they call Cromarties Holding as "Illegal Contact" because Ben was outside the pocket once? I never read in the rules when Holding became Illegal contact when the QB exits the pocket.

We Committed penalties, they committed penalties, only we were really flagged for them.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what did ever happen to the steelers team board

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Nice write-up, BBD. Some of my thoughts:

- There needs to be a change in Philadelphia. There must be a change ... and I'd keep Reid over McNabb. I've never liked McNabb, and he's only gotten worse in recent years as he opens his stupid idiot mouth instead of getting things done on the field. The best player on the offense and the team is Westbrook and it's not even close, that tells you about McNabb. Time to start the Kevin Kolb era imo, and with the huge demand for quarterbacks in the league, the best part is that the Iggles can likely get another first round pick for a consecutive year out of trading McNabb.

McNabb hasn't lead this team to the playoffs since 2004, no way in heck do I give him 2006 because the team was .500 at best until Garcia came in and Westbrook rightfuly took over the show. I don't think Philly makes the playoffs this year, so that's four consecutive years McNabb can't lead his team to the playoffs. Dump that loser.

Oh and Donovan? It's not because you're black. It's because you're not good enough.
Get the **** out of here. I'd get rid of Reid 1,000,000 times before I got rid of Donovan. Not because I'm that big of a McNabb guy, but because Reid sucks. And do you really think teams are going to give a first for McNabb? Get real.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Get the **** out of here. I'd get rid of Reid 1,000,000 times before I got rid of Donovan. Not because I'm that big of a McNabb guy, but because Reid sucks. And do you really think teams are going to give a first for McNabb? Get real.
*Looks at author of OP*

Therein lies your problem, sir.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*Looks at author of OP*

'Tis true. 'Tis true.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*Looks at author of OP*

i think you got a crush on me son
Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

oh and Packer fans, did Hawk play MIKE?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
oh and Packer fans, did Hawk play MIKE?
He did get switched with the loss of Barnett
Old 11-17-2008, 06:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
He did get switched with the loss of Barnett
how did he look?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

Quote:
how did he look?
He wasn't too bad from what I saw, but the way the bears played against them ANYONE could have looked good.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
And do you really think teams are going to give a first for McNabb? Get real.
Maybe a late first, but you're right, a 2nd and maybe another pick is more likely.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
what did ever happen to the steelers team board
Wow, of all the teams that talked in here you have to pick the Steelers out... Way to not be biased.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He got awarded a big contract and has grown fat and lazy because of it. I used to be a big Grant fan but now, I'm on the fence. The same with Will Smith. He's become easier to neutralize and hasn't shown the desire to get the quarterback.

However, I think a lot of this has to do with scheme, which falls on Gary Gibbs. Sure, we need another DT to play alongside Sedrick Ellis, who looks like he could shape into a stud sooner than later. But DT isn't down on my big board this year due to the overwhelming need for us to draft a S. Actually, I think we need to draft two safeties since I'm not a fan of Roman Harper, never was really. He's effective as a run stopper but has dismal cover skills.

What I'd like to see the Saints do is draft William Moore or Taylor Mays in the first, then Michael Hamlin, David Bruton, or someone in that mold that could man the other S position. DT would then be my next priority, but that's if we don't address that need in FA.

The long and the short is this. We have talent on D but the passive, prudent mentality of our defensive coordinator has trickled into the players mindset. We're not playing with intensity or aggressiveness, which needs to change and that right soon. I have a list of potential DC that I hope the Saints bring in to interview. I won't mention who, since this isn't the Saints thread and this diatribe has gone on for long enough, but the problem with the Saints starts and ends on defense.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
He got awarded a big contract and has grown fat and lazy because of it. I used to be a big Grant fan but now, I'm on the fence. The same with Will Smith. He's become easier to neutralize and hasn't shown the desire to get the quarterback.

However, I think a lot of this has to do with scheme, which falls on Gary Gibbs. Sure, we need another DT to play alongside Sedrick Ellis, who looks like he could shape into a stud sooner than later. But DT isn't down on my big board this year due to the overwhelming need for us to draft a S. Actually, I think we need to draft two safeties since I'm not a fan of Roman Harper, never was really. He's effective as a run stopper but has dismal cover skills.

What I'd like to see the Saints do is draft William Moore or Taylor Mays in the first, then Michael Hamlin, David Bruton, or someone in that mold that could man the other S position. DT would then be my next priority, but that's if we don't address that need in FA.

The long and the short is this. We have talent on D but the passive, prudent mentality of our defensive coordinator has trickled into the players mindset. We're not playing with intensity or aggressiveness, which needs to change and that right soon. I have a list of potential DC that I hope the Saints bring in to interview. I won't mention who, since this isn't the Saints thread and this diatribe has gone on for long enough, but the problem with the Saints starts and ends on defense.
I really don't like their play calling on either end. Defensively they need to be far more aggressive and offensively they need Payton to wise up and stop trying to be the next Gruden or Billick.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
i think you got a crush on me son
I think he meant Geo. Don't quote me on that.