Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
charles_haley_rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Well, now that Wade is on board, expect a heavy dose of blitzing. This is a double edged sword, because it will generate pressure, but also expose the secondary a little bit. With Henry getting older and a lack of quality play out of the safeties, it could go either way.

One thing to note abot Phillips, he does a horrible job developing DB talent. He also exposes them alot with his blitz heavy schemes. So you better hope that front 7 really steps it up this year, because if they don't, the DBs will be in for a long year.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
did you even watch any of the games htis year? the secondary was roasted all season because of a lack of pressure. qb's could stay back and wait for the plays to develope, making safeties commit, then getting burned when the qb takes option 2. Peyton killed the Bears because they couldnt get pressure. He checked down from the deep routes to tight ends and running backs. If he has pressure, he wouldn;t be able to do that.

Run the ball. Get pressure on the QB. Simple stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our secondary > San Diego's.

If he left San Diego's secondary on islands every now and then, it somehow worked out for them with Quentin Jammer as the only star out there. I think we'll fare fine, especially if Bowles stays. He seems to have done a good job.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Wade Phillips hasn't officially been announced so it's still a bit premature to assume he's the coach.

But, here's my question to the Wade Phillips detractors. Most everyone thinks that switching to a 4-3 would be a step backwards at this point. Most everyone thinks that Garrett is here to run the offense and I'm not sure he could really do that effectively under Norv or another Offensively minded HC. Phillips is an older coach so in 3 or 4 years he'd be in position to hand the reigns to Garrett if Garrett proves worthy of that.

Hiring a strong defensively minded HC gives you the opportunity to hire an up and coming DC under his tutilege.

I think of all the likely candidates he makes the most sense if Garrett is the long term solution. Rivera wouldn't fit that because you'd have Rivera as the long term solution. I'm not saying it's a good idea or not to have Garrett as the solution, but it does appear that is the plan. If that's the plan, then Phillips is the most logical solution.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:41 AM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

dallascowboys.com is reporting (as of 10:30 this morning) that there are TWO front-runners for the head-coaching position: Wade Phillips and Norv Turner:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...DACF2EE537711E
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_haley_rules
Quote:
Well, now that Wade is on board, expect a heavy dose of blitzing. This is a double edged sword, because it will generate pressure, but also expose the secondary a little bit. With Henry getting older and a lack of quality play out of the safeties, it could go either way.

One thing to note abot Phillips, he does a horrible job developing DB talent. He also exposes them alot with his blitz heavy schemes. So you better hope that front 7 really steps it up this year, because if they don't, the DBs will be in for a long year.

did you even watch any of the games htis year? the secondary was roasted all season because of a lack of pressure. qb's could stay back and wait for the plays to develope, making safeties commit, then getting burned when the qb takes option 2. Peyton killed the Bears because they couldnt get pressure. He checked down from the deep routes to tight ends and running backs. If he has pressure, he wouldn;t be able to do that.

Make no mistake, coverage was definately still an issue. I cite the Detroit game as a perfect example. The Cowboys threw the playbook at the Lions, they did a lot of blitzing, alot of 4-3 looks, alot of what you would expect Phillips to bring.

The results? The defense got absolutely roasted. And why? Because let's face it, there are some serious coverage issues. I wont name anyone in particular, but Ive been critical of him many times.

The vulnerability to the big play actually led to more points being put on the board. BP's scheme might have been passive, but it didn't get roasted heavily in games where they played passive.

In games they played aggressive, @ Philly and @ Detroit, they gave up a plethora of points. It wasn't just the pass rush.

And trust me, I saw at least 10 Cowboy games this year.

Now whats important is the ability to get the front 7 to generate more pressure on an individual basis. Ware needs to step it up, Spears needs to step it up etc. Having Ellis back and Carp progressing will definately help. But I think the pressure issues were more of a player problem than anything else.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Make no mistake, coverage was definately still an issue. I cite the Detroit game as a perfect example. The Cowboys threw the playbook at the Lions, they did a lot of blitzing, alot of 4-3 looks, alot of what you would expect Phillips to bring.

The results? The defense got absolutely roasted. And why? Because let's face it, there are some serious coverage issues. I wont name anyone in particular, but Ive been critical of him many times.

The vulnerability to the big play actually led to more points being put on the board. BP's scheme might have been passive, but it didn't get roasted heavily in games where they played passive.

In games they played aggressive, @ Philly and @ Detroit, they gave up a plethora of points. It wasn't just the pass rush.

Now whats important is the ability to get the front 7 to generate more pressure on an individual basis. Ware needs to step it up, Spears needs to step it up etc. Having Ellis back and Carp progressing will definately help. But I think the pressure issues were more of a player problem than anything else.
Indy?

I have a strong feeling Edwards will now become a cowboy which will give us a nice coverage option in the middle.

My question is...what happens to Burnett? Did Wade ever switch to a nickel?

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Indy?

I have a strong feeling Edwards will now become a cowboy which will give us a nice coverage option in the middle.

My question is...what happens to Burnett? Did Wade ever switch to a nickel?
Go back and watch the Indy game. They weren't that aggressive. In fact, they were pretty passive. They came with some OLB blitzes, but nothing more than that. Alot of zone, alot of rerouting. They were more of a passive defense in that game. Nothing like what they did against Philly or Detroit. They came with alot of all out blitzes in those games, and they got burnt for it.

And yes, on 3rd and long, Wade would come out in some 4 downlinemen fronts. I don't think as much as Zimmer, but he did use it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

A couple of things to note.

Wade Phillips has coached in the 3-4 and 46 philosophy his whole life. He has incorporated alot of 46 principles into his 3-4 (I made a Buddy Ryan thread in the NFL forum awhile ago, and after some research of my own have learned a great deal about how the scheme has been incorporated into today's schemes).

Now the thing thats relevant to the Cowboys is how this scheme is executed. Like I said before, he runs alot of heavy blitzing, man coverage schemes. Theres alot of different ways to blitz. Especially in the 3-4. Theres the zone blitzing schemes (used heavily by LeBeau), the fireman scheme (used heavily by Phillips and Jim Johnson of the Eagles, also Greg Williams), and a combination of both philosophies (used by BP, Bellichick, that coaching tree, uses alot of LB zones with man coverage on the edges and Cover 1, Cover 0 techniques).

Now why is this relevant? Because the personell requires some changes to execute the different schemes.

Remember, just because he coaches a 3-4 doesn't mean that its the same requirements out of personnell as BP's 3-4. Just like theres a ton of ways to run a 4-3 defense, there are also a lot of different ways to run a 3-4, and different styles require different personnell.

Phillip's defense failed miserably in Atlanta because he forced his scheme on a personnell that couldn't make it work. In Buffalo and SD, he had the personnell for it.

Here in Dallas, he has some personnell for it, but there will be changes required to make it work.

1. He needs a pass coverage LB. The intermediate zones and rerouting etc won't be used that much, so James and Akin will be left in man coverage. I don't think it can work with these 2 guys, he needs to bring in a guy who can survive in man coverage from the ILB position. Perhaps Donnie Edwards? Or he might burden that responsibility on Akin, and use James the same way he used Godfrey. Or he moves Carp inside. We'll see how that goes

2. He needs a SS who can cover. Yes, his SS wasn't great in SD, but he uses both his OLBs as DEs, and that puts added pressure on the SS to be good in coverage. While his SS wasn't great in SD, he was much better in coverage than what the Cowboys have. Agree with it or not, thats the honest truth. So this could present a problem. I still feel the mentioned SS can become alot better if he loses weight. Let's face it, he's not hitting the film room, he's been in the league for awhile, if he didn't do it by now he won't ever do it. The only hope is for him to lose weight, and improve his recovery speed. The pass rush will help his cause as well.

Other than that, I think youre fine. You have good CBs who can hold up in man coverage. You have a dline who can develop into playmakers with some more experience, you have edge rushers in Ware and Ellis.

The question is what he does with Carp. In BP's scheme, he wouldve been used as a Carl Banks type, but Phillips uses his OLBs as almost exclusive pass rushers. Does he move Carp inside? Will this stunt his growth?

Just some things to consider.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Our new coach will be announced at 5 p.m. (Central Time?) according to DC.com.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX
Our new coach will be announced at 5 p.m. (Central Time?) according to DC.com.
Watch 'em throw a complete curve at us and announce Gary Gibbs as the HC. :D
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does anyone know how Wade Philips likes to draft and what direction we might go this year?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Does anyone know how Wade Philips likes to draft and what direction we might go this year?
I've been wondering that myself. Guess we'll have to go back through his Buffalo and Denver drafts. Of course, JJ and Jeff Ireland (assumably) will have a lot to say about the draft, maybe more so than Phillips.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Although I didn't want Philips there's one positive. If Spears don't perform now, he has no excuse at all. Missing TC or not Wade will put him in position to make plays.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Here are some notable players he drafted from 95-00 with the Bills

Ruben Brown
Eric Moulds
Antowain Smith
Marcellus Wiley
Sam Cowart
Antoine Winfield
Peerless Price
Shawn Bryson
Keith Newman
Sammy Morris

It looks like he targeted players from Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, and Notre Dame. He also took some Texas guys too so I'd be on the look out for that.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A lot will depend on what we do in FA first.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
True...who do you think we may target?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:03 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay, my numero uno choice got the job. I honestly dont believe that he has to shake up our d too much, I think we should stick with Bradie and Akin in the middle and try to develope one, Bobby Carpenter opposite D Ware. Perfect coach for our personel, lets just say i'm very happy right now. The only negative coming from this is the fact that we lost our chance to Greg Manusky. Here's hoping our next D coord. isn't Todd Bowles.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I don't think Phillips will have nearly as much muscle as BP in influencing the draft. I think this draft is mostly gonna be run by JJ. If he falls in love with a workout warrior, he will take him, no doubt.

I would look more into what Jerry has done as GM moreso than Wade.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Andre Gurode, Marc Columbo and Patrick Crayton.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I don't think Phillips will have nearly as much muscle as BP in influencing the draft. I think this draft is mostly gonna be run by JJ. If he falls in love with a workout warrior, he will take him, no doubt.

Yeah, I agree. Bust city, here we come! :|
Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Andre Gurode, Marc Columbo and Patrick Crayton.
:roll: smart A$$

Yeah Gurode, Crayton, and Colombo are free agent priorities. I am asking NEW free agent targets such as Eric Steinbach.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Screw the draft lets just trade every pick we have to get Ed Reed... that's all we really need.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. Bust city, here we come! :|
well....in defense of JJ.....he got some good guys once in awhile......

........ :|
Old 02-08-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully JJ has learned something from BP when it comes to the draft. HOPEFULLY.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Hopefully JJ has learned something from BP when it comes to the draft. HOPEFULLY.
As long as we have Jeff Ireland, we should be fine.