Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-22-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, that sucks. Anyone but VT.....please.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we are the worst coached team in football. Either that or our players all have learning disabilities.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-29-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
I think we are the worst coached team in football. Either that or our players all have learning disabilities.
Maybe you missed Mizzou's defense this whole season with 10 returning starters. At least you have a very bright future

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:14 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Mizzou is supposed to have bad defense. The Canes are supposed to pride themselves on tackling and pursuit....ironically we suck at both.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a pretty game today.

Marve closed the gap between him and Harris today, IMO. He was much better than Jacory.

The coaching staff is going to have a hell of a time deciding who's going to lead this team into the most important era of Miami football in quite some time.

For as tremendous a job that Bill Young did vs the likes of Florida, Va Tech, and Virginia, he was equally terrible the last 2 weeks. Completely outschemed by Paul Johnson and Tom O'Brien. The Miami defense was on its heels the entire game.

How the hell can we continue to let quarterbacks run freely around the pocket and make plays with their feet? Seriously.

In some bright news, Todd Chandler committed to Miami according to InsideTheU (terrible website, but it appears they are right on this one)
Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
How the hell can we continue to let quarterbacks run freely around the pocket and make plays with their feet? Seriously.
In fairness, I can't put that on Bill Young at all.

Our players let him run all over us. We had 8239012049324 missed tackles again.

I have NEVER in my life seen so many upperclassmen take so many bad angles and get blocked so easily in my life. Seriously, get a hand on Ryan Hill or Bruce Johnson and he's out of the play. Glenn Cook isnt fast enough to catch anyone. Anthony Reddick and Lovon Ponder need to learn physics because if you run to where the ball carrier is, he wont be there by the time you reach that area. They need to learn to run to where the ball carrier is going to be. Daryl Sharpton is the most atrocious tackler I have ever witnessed. And all this is topped of of course by Hendricks, Grant, Joseph and Dixon being to slow to tackle any QB that tries to run.

On the flip side. Though Allen Bailey had an up and down game but hustled whole way thru and actually chased the QB all over the field when those ****** upperclassmen couldnt bring him down. Spence could get the QB down but seemed to be the only LB that can actually bring down the RB. Brandon Harris played well outside of 3-4 plays and has really started to improve the last 4-5 games of the year. Heck DVD has even looked alot better lately. Still a long way to go with those 2 CBs tho. But Marcus Forston and Marcus Robinson, man are those 2 gonna be monsters for us. They have shined to close the season and I expect big things from them next year.

I know I'm in the fire Patrick Nix camp but that a rarity for me because Im a believer in that players and talent overcomes all. We don't have that yet. Our freshmen are studs. But Im firm in my stance that our upperclassmen are too garbage for us to win alot of games and our freshmen are too young to carry the upperclassmen (although they proven me wrong against Duke, Virginia and VT). We will be fine. It's gonna take more time. We still got alot of JR and SR trash that needs to be taken out and we need to have our young kids grow up.

I came into this season hoping for 8-4 and to be competetive in the ACC. Well we had the ACC in our grasp with 2 weeks out and we came within 4 minutes against UNC of getting those 8 wins (damn Bruce Johnson and DVD). The freshmen stepped up more then I could have imagined and even with the season ending badly, I can't really say that anything happened that I didn't expect when the year started. Overally, it was positive and a step forward. Recruit the studs and the rest will work itself out. Minus Patrick Nix of course.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 11-30-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

It's a complicated situation right now as to who deserves the blame. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure if our coaches don't teach the fundamentals or our players are simply ********. Besides Sean Spence, none of our defensive players understand pursuit angles, breaking down for tackles, stepping with the offensive line to control the gap, fighting pressure, taking away the cutbacks, etc. Bill Young's scheme is perfectly fine, and the players are usually put in situations to succeed, yet we are struggling because our players lack the tools to fend for themselves. We were sending 6-7 man blitzes and their QB was having ages to throw. When we did get to him, Bailey, Robinson, Ojomo or whomever ALWAYS gave up their contain, and then our secondary force just missed or arrived too late. It was like a video game.

This all adds up to one huge problem. Our defensive players have not been developed properly. On offense I see the talent and tools to succeed, but the scheme holds us back. On defense it's the opposite. Maybe the intensity of a bowl game will ignite our defense because right now it looks like we're timid and thinking too much on the field. It's not a Cane defense.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spence ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Congrats to him.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
It's a complicated situation right now as to who deserves the blame. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure if our coaches don't teach the fundamentals or our players are simply ********. Besides Sean Spence, none of our defensive players understand pursuit angles, breaking down for tackles, stepping with the offensive line to control the gap, fighting pressure, taking away the cutbacks, etc. Bill Young's scheme is perfectly fine, and the players are usually put in situations to succeed, yet we are struggling because our players lack the tools to fend for themselves. We were sending 6-7 man blitzes and their QB was having ages to throw. When we did get to him, Bailey, Robinson, Ojomo or whomever ALWAYS gave up their contain, and then our secondary force just missed or arrived too late. It was like a video game.

This all adds up to one huge problem. Our defensive players have not been developed properly. On offense I see the talent and tools to succeed, but the scheme holds us back. On defense it's the opposite. Maybe the intensity of a bowl game will ignite our defense because right now it looks like we're timid and thinking too much on the field. It's not a Cane defense.
I think alot of the lack of fundementals has to do with the constant changing of coaches under Coker. The ones missing tackles were guys like Reddick, Cook, Davis, Hill, Grant. Mostly the upperclassmen. Yet you see young guys like Spence, Robinson and Forston generally making all their tackles. They have the fundementals down, it's just a matter of correctly rookie mistakes (such as breaking contain, using the gaps properly, etc).

That's why outside of Nix, we need to keep the coaching staff intact. I think Mike Barrow has done a fantastic job given what he's had to work with. Clint Hurtt is a beast. The DL got better every game and he recruits with the best of them. Robinson is the only iffy one but in fairness, he had to play Grant, Bruce Johnson and Carlos Amour alot this season and any coach would struggle with that.

It's a combination of things. The upperclassmen where never coached properly by Coker and his staff and the young guys and making alot of rookie mistakes. All this will be corrected by keeping the staff intact and getting the young guys more work and experience.

Not worried about our defense. It will be fine. More concerned about the Offense with Nix looking likely to come back and the Marve to LSU rumors. We need to bring in alot of studs on offense badly.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring in Tommy Tuberville!

i know we don't need him but he couldn't hurt
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I think alot of the lack of fundementals has to do with the constant changing of coaches under Coker. The ones missing tackles were guys like Reddick, Cook, Davis, Hill, Grant. Mostly the upperclassmen. Yet you see young guys like Spence, Robinson and Forston generally making all their tackles. They have the fundementals down, it's just a matter of correctly rookie mistakes (such as breaking contain, using the gaps properly, etc).

That's why outside of Nix, we need to keep the coaching staff intact. I think Mike Barrow has done a fantastic job given what he's had to work with. Clint Hurtt is a beast. The DL got better every game and he recruits with the best of them. Robinson is the only iffy one but in fairness, he had to play Grant, Bruce Johnson and Carlos Amour alot this season and any coach would struggle with that.

It's a combination of things. The upperclassmen where never coached properly by Coker and his staff and the young guys and making alot of rookie mistakes. All this will be corrected by keeping the staff intact and getting the young guys more work and experience.

Not worried about our defense. It will be fine. More concerned about the Offense with Nix looking likely to come back and the Marve to LSU rumors. We need to bring in alot of studs on offense badly.
I'm not all too happy with Hurtt's coaching on our DLine. It's not his fault when Joe Joseph is too slow to get the QB or Dwayne Hendricks gets juked out of his shoes, but our defensive linemen get sealed way too easily and for all the exotic blitzes we run....very few linemen got to the QB. Ojomo and Bailey have a lot of talent and I'm not seeing it develop. We did not look prepared for Ponder or Wilson's scrambling ability. Our ends constantly gave up the edge.

Our young guys are very good at tackling. The upperclassmen blow. Good riddance is all I can say...no blame there. I don't like seeing Robinson getting sealed a lot, but he usually learned from his mistakes and made the play the next time.

I don't have a problem with Coach Robinson. The only bad game for our DBs was Florida. When you consider how awful our DBs are and how later in the year our pass rush deteriorated.....you have to give him credit and say we exceeded expectations. More picks would be nice but it's up to the players to create turnovers. We just didn't and few QBs took risks against our D....probably because of the expiring UM playmaking image.

Our offense needs serious help. We have the talent and depth to run any kind of offense. I'd like to see us bring in an experienced, accomplished mid-major OC and not another mediocre coach from a big-name school that wins on defense. I like the mid-major coaches because most have an offensive identity and a reliable scheme. The best team in the ACC right now is the only team with an offensive identity: Georgia Tech. Aside from GT, BC has a reliable system and they're in the ACC title game despite losing their best QB, both RBs and stud OT. How bout we get our own identity? I think we could be pretty damn unstoppable running an offense like Tulsa where we have a lot of downfield passing and spread running.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-04-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
I'm not all too happy with Hurtt's coaching on our DLine. It's not his fault when Joe Joseph is too slow to get the QB or Dwayne Hendricks gets juked out of his shoes, but our defensive linemen get sealed way too easily and for all the exotic blitzes we run....very few linemen got to the QB. Ojomo and Bailey have a lot of talent and I'm not seeing it develop. We did not look prepared for Ponder or Wilson's scrambling ability. Our ends constantly gave up the edge.

Our young guys are very good at tackling. The upperclassmen blow. Good riddance is all I can say...no blame there. I don't like seeing Robinson getting sealed a lot, but he usually learned from his mistakes and made the play the next time.

I don't have a problem with Coach Robinson. The only bad game for our DBs was Florida. When you consider how awful our DBs are and how later in the year our pass rush deteriorated.....you have to give him credit and say we exceeded expectations. More picks would be nice but it's up to the players to create turnovers. We just didn't and few QBs took risks against our D....probably because of the expiring UM playmaking image.

Our offense needs serious help. We have the talent and depth to run any kind of offense. I'd like to see us bring in an experienced, accomplished mid-major OC and not another mediocre coach from a big-name school that wins on defense. I like the mid-major coaches because most have an offensive identity and a reliable scheme. The best team in the ACC right now is the only team with an offensive identity: Georgia Tech. Aside from GT, BC has a reliable system and they're in the ACC title game despite losing their best QB, both RBs and stud OT. How bout we get our own identity? I think we could be pretty damn unstoppable running an offense like Tulsa where we have a lot of downfield passing and spread running.
North Carolina was a horrendous game for the defensive backs. Florida State wasn't much better.

I am hoping that it will be one of three guys... Malzahn (Tulsa), Dana (Houston), or Long (SDSU)
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Yeah, North Carolina was really bad. Sexton, their QB, was on fire though, and some of his completions were just good plays.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Yeah, North Carolina was really bad. Sexton, their QB, was on fire though, and some of his completions were just good plays.
The 2 TD passes that won them the game werent good plays. Bruce Johnson and DVD just had the worst coverage Ive ever seen.

Im gonna give Hurtt a pass on the containment stuff. As a whole the DL played well although they were inconsistent. Remember tho, Spencer Adkins, Allen Bailey and Marcus Robinson were LBs. This as their 1st time ever playing DE. You can teach containment and running lanes all you want in practice but until u see it in a game, u dont really know what ur dealing with. Its not like these kids grew up playing DE and just need to adjust to college. Bailey and Robinson were learning a new position from scratch while trying to adjust to their 1st experience against higher competiton.

And then we had Ojomo and Andrew Smith getting alot of PT too and they are freshman.

Overall I saw alot of promise and I think if Eric Moncur were there, ud see a different beast on the field. It wouldve been huge for the young guys to have a SR to look up to and we would have been able to shirt Smith and move Bailey and Robinson to the bench with fewer snaps instead of having them play all the time when they likely would have benefitted from a slower pace of development insteadof being thrown in the fire.

All thing considered, I thought they played well and I think ull see the containment and cut back lane stuff get fixed as they grow int the position.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

The TDs were awful, but I'm pointing toward the little completions to get them first downs. Sexton just couldn't miss....most college QBs do.

Robinson looks pretty natural at DE. Bailey does not. The fact that he's been effective at all speaks to his natural ability only. He has a very high ceiling and all that pre-season hype was not misled. Hurtt is a great recruiter and he has a chance to turn a bunch of talented kids into the most dominant defensive line in the nation. Right now he's coaching right at the level that's expected, but those expectations will rise. I think Barrow and Robinson exceeded expectations a bit.

I'm not sure how different things would be if Moncur was playing. I thought Robinson was one of our best defenders and Moncur was never special. McCarthy definitely was a big loss though.....Romeo Davis....ugh.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Im saying Moncur would have helped as far as the containment stuff. Hes a 3 year starter and knows how the play the position. Bettter to have the young watch his film and learn from him then to learn frm each other.

I though Robinson was one of our better defenders as well but u dont thinking getting into the action slowly as he was ready would have benefitted him insteadof being thrown into the starting lineup litrrally game 1? As good as he was, I think he would have been better if he started the year in a better role to start with, he was a little in over his ahead the 1st few games.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Moncur is definitely our best DE against the run....so of course. I don't think he would've pressured the pocket as much as Bailey and Robinson, though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

How much truth is there to the Marve to LSU rumors??

I just read on SI, that Florida wants Marve now.

I am sure some of you have read it. I thought it was kind of interesting.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ck?eref=fromSI
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnaballa View Post
How much truth is there to the Marve to LSU rumors??

I just read on SI, that Florida wants Marve now.

I am sure some of you have read it. I thought it was kind of interesting.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ck?eref=fromSI
No worries.

Have a friend with some connections in the program. He no hotshot or anything but h does get to talk to players and coaches from time to time.

Marve just deicded last Friday to stop taking with other programs and that hes staying at Miami. There was truth about the LSU rumors, not sure about Florida. But unless something drastic happens, Marve will be here.

Dont stress over it.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

Quote:
No worries.

Have a friend with some connections in the program. He no hotshot or anything but h does get to talk to players and coaches from time to time.

Marve just deicded last Friday to stop taking with other programs and that hes staying at Miami. There was truth about the LSU rumors, not sure about Florida. But unless something drastic happens, Marve will be here.

Dont stress over it.
I was just wondering. I am a big Jacory Harris fan, but I also think Robert Marve could be a great QB.

Just from watching the games I was way more impressed with how Jacory Harris would go through his reads, by his time, and make an accurate well timed throw.

Marve, espicially the Virginia Tech game, I wasn't impressed at all. I know he played the whole game but he would drop back and then look at one read and take off running. I know that VT has a pressure defense, but he would just take off after looking at one wide out.
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No worries.

Dont stress over it.
http://thebullgator.blogspot.com/200...umors-say.html

Any reason to be worried about this? Because that would make me vomit.

Dolphins Dream Offseason 2014: Re-Sign Paul Soliai and Brent Grimes. Sign Brandon Albert, Sam Shields & Rashad Jennings. The Draft: 1. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Xavier Su'a-Filo 3. Seantrel Henderson 4. Xavier Grimble 5. Dion Bailey 6. Jalen Saunders 7. Nevin Lawson
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Marve wouldn't transfer to Florida. He very well might transfer, but I don't think he'll be going to Florida.

He has a better chance of playing over Jacory than he does Brantley. They love Brantley at UF.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he wants to go, I say let him. No room on this team for people who are afraid to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Marve would be a fool to come here to UF. Not only do we have Brantley but we have Jordan Reed and Trey Burton coming next year and the year after that respectively
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote