Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-16-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott Shafer has stepped down as the defensive coordinator of Michigan.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3774025

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

Not a big loss in losing Shafer. Not a good fit. Good luck to him though. Seems like a good guy.

It also shouldn't hurt with any recruits. The majority are fielding calls from scout and rivals and reacting well. Guessing they already know who the new DC is going to be. Shafer also didn't recruit that much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
CroomDawgs
Veteran

CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.CroomDawgs is so money.

murdamal86, Mullen is coaching in the title game if you haven't heard yet

Mississippi State BBall: 22-12 (9-7) SEC CHAMPS!
Jarvis Varnado: Best Defensive player in the SEC

Amazing sig by jkpigskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm no scientist but a mixture of semen, blood and feces can't be good.
LOL props to Paul
CroomDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroomDawgs View Post
murdamal86, Mullen is coaching in the title game if you haven't heard yet
yep i read that yesterday. he'll be back in Gainesville after Xmas when they start mapping out the gameplan cause right now UF is doing alot of recruiting right now.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Pa 3 year extension.. I dunno if it's old but yyyeahhh.. He's gonna coach till he's 85 lol

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Joe Pa 3 year extension.. I dunno if it's old but yyyeahhh.. He's gonna coach till he's 85 lol
There were rumors that he's pretty much coaching to stay alive because he has no hobbies other than football and he needs to have a purpose. I wasn't expecting him to retire anytime soon, and if he did he would probably remain in the football atmosphere one way or another.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard he was planning to take over Mark May's spot on ESPN so they could have a Holtz-Paterno commentator team. ESPN has been lacking on the over 80 demographic and really needs to do something about it
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2 wvu coaches were offered promotions to other schools but turned them down

one as a passing game coordinator (most think beatty and vt) and defensive coordinator (most think db coach dave lockwood)

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do you guys think Bud Foster's scheme would translate well into the NFL?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
CaneInEastTexas
Rookie

CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Here's Praying...

...that Chizik wants to re-kindle all the old Auburn love and hires Nix away from Miami (since it seems like Shannon refuses to face reality and dump the poser).

Last edited by CaneInEastTexas : 12-18-2008 at 10:45 AM.
CaneInEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneInEastTexas View Post
...that Chizik wants to re-kindle all the old Auburn love and hires Nix away from Miami (since it seems like Shannon refuses to face reality and dump the poser).
Have you heard any interviews with Shannon lately??? Joe Rose straight up asked him yesterday "Will Patrick Nix be back next year" and Shannon just said well I evaluate everyone in January blah blah blah. Sounds to me like the writings on the wall and he is just waiting until after the bowl game.

Here is hoping he brings an NFL (Koetter, Mike Shula, Chud etc) to Miami.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Have you heard any interviews with Shannon lately??? Joe Rose straight up asked him yesterday "Will Patrick Nix be back next year" and Shannon just said well I evaluate everyone in January blah blah blah. Sounds to me like the writings on the wall and he is just waiting until after the bowl game.

Former Oklahoma OC/San Diego State HC Chuck Long would be a perfect fit at Miami. He has a history with Miami's current AD who used to be at Oklahoma.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
Former Oklahoma OC/San Diego State HC Chuck Long would be a perfect fit at Miami. He has a history with Miami's current AD who used to be at Oklahoma.
Works for me as Chuck Long is certainly an upgrade over Patrick "let's call a bubble screen on 3rd and inches" Nix.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
CaneInEastTexas
Rookie

CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I sincerely hope that you are interpreting his words correctly. I taught a number of students who went to Tech who felt the need to call and laugh at me when Miami hired Nix. I now fully understand their scorn.

I am intrigued with the Shula comment - where is he right now and does he have a connection to Miami on a college level? Would you be happy with a Shula hire?

Also, from Shannon's own playing and coaching background, who would you say he has personal connection with that could fill that spot? And how the heck are Miami fans supposed to understand the offensive greatness that took place under Coker's OC leadership - Does Davis get credit for that too?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneInEastTexas View Post

I am intrigued with the Shula comment - where is he right now and does he have a connection to Miami on a college level? Would you be happy with a Shula hire?
Mike Shula is currently the QB coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars, who after last night have a record of 5-10 and it looks like that entire coaching staff may be fired. Some people don't want Shula because of the 'Vanilla' offense he ran for the Tampa Bay Bucs, but I don't care...he is my #1 choice -

1. NFL experience which is a great selling point to recruits
2. His name is worth gold in South Florida and would excite some the big time Dolphin fans who are sort of blase on the Canes.
3. Not that we need much help, but I do think he would be a huge boost to help with the absolutely loaded 2010 St. Thomas class.
4. He is one of the best QB coaches in the NFL, let alone college
5. His offense is easy to pick up
6. He has college head coaching experience and was regarded as a good recruiter.

My thought on the OC positions is that we are the University of Miami, we do not a game changer at the spot or someone who is going to out gimmick the other team, we just need a guy who is going to run a simple, effective offense that gets the balls in the hands of one of our talented playmakers and lets them make the plays. We out talent other teams.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Iowa State hires Auburn Defensive Coordinator Paul Rhoads

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=3636027

Seems like a good hire, Iowa native and former Iowa St. assistant, so hopefully means he won't be leaving anytime soon. Seems to be a good D. coordinator on paper, hopefully that doesn't translate to success at Little Brother. :)
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Iowa State hires Auburn Defensive Coordinator Paul Rhoads

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....ATCLID=3636027

Seems like a good hire, Iowa native and former Iowa St. assistant, so hopefully means he won't be leaving anytime soon. Seems to be a good D. coordinator on paper, hopefully that doesn't translate to success at Little Brother. :)
Maybe if he gets lucky he can win 4-5 games in two years and then got a job at a school like Clemson.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Ron English is the New head coach at EMU. It will be announced on monday.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidrunner View Post
Ron English is the New head coach at EMU. It will be announced on monday.
More on English on the link below...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...nm-6AD95794N00

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe signs an extension through 2015

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3785409
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I think either former Tennessee DC John Chavis or UCLA DC DeWayne Walker will be eventually named as LSU's new defensive coordinator.

I'm still waiting to see what Ed Orgeron does, too, because there's speculation that he could take a D-line coaching/associate head coach/recruiting coordinator position at LSU too, or at Tennessee. I kind of think he's trying to get a raise from the Saints personally but you never know.

Last edited by TigerBait45 : 12-21-2008 at 07:52 PM.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see Orgeron at Michigan.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

He's the real deal as a DL coach for sure, and he can flat out recruit on top of it. I'd love to have him.

I've heard he wants to stay in Louisiana, either in college or with the Saints, because this is where he grew up, but really who knows.

Tennessee's been screaming that it was a done deal for weeks now and nothing has come of it; LSU has said the same recently as well. Both sides are getting the same info..I seriously think he's just trying to get a raise out of New Orleans.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
He's the real deal as a DL coach for sure, and he can flat out recruit on top of it. I'd love to have him.

I've heard he wants to stay in Louisiana, either in college or with the Saints, because this is where he grew up, but really who knows.

Tennessee's been screaming that it was a done deal for weeks now and nothing has come of it; LSU has said the same recently as well. Both sides are getting the same info..I seriously think he's just trying to get a raise out of New Orleans.
i would LOVE that move for Chavis if he was able to land the DC role at LSU. i think, well we all know, he was not the issue at UT and has never been because he's always keep that defense prepared and disciplined regardless of what talent he was working with.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
roidrunner
Pro Bowler

roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.roidrunner wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Bring Orgeron to the Ville, we need some good coordinators, plus he has a direct line to the HC position at Louisville because lord knows we need a new coach. Plus as long as he improves some part of the Defense then he can get a HC job, just ask English. Cause right now Louisville can use all the help it can get. We lost of DC, and one of our best recruiters, recruits are running away from this place like the plague. needless to say, we need to find some sort of good news out of this whole thing. But my guess is that he will probably go to Michigan, bigger program, and if he can make the defense better then he could easily get another HC position somewhere.
roidrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
i would LOVE that move for Chavis if he was able to land the DC role at LSU. i think, well we all know, he was not the issue at UT and has never been because he's always keep that defense prepared and disciplined regardless of what talent he was working with.
I'm with you. A lot of LSU fans aren't too receptive to him because he doesn't blitz every down (we have a dumb fan base) but Chavis is the prototype of a guy that tunes his defense based on his personnel. He doesn't even really have a scheme..when he's got the guys to allow him to be aggressive he's aggressive and when he doesn't they're a little more conservative.

I like him a lot. Couple him with Ed Orgeron coaching up the DL and it's a vast improvement over the debacle we had this season.