Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think bringing in a coach like Brian Billick and a DC like Mike Nolan would give the Jets the necessary coaching to be successful. If Brett Favre does come back, Billick can use the same philosophy with the Jets that he used with the Ravens when Steve McNair was there at the end of his career.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really dislike this move, I would have given Mangini 2009 to win a playoff game or get fired. He had built his defense for the most part, except for a player or two missing from the secondary which is his forte.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I really dislike this move, I would have given Mangini 2009 to win a playoff game or get fired. He had built his defense for the most part, except for a player or two missing from the secondary which is his forte.
Just a desperate move by a team desperate to get back into the spotlight.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post

I agree, this firing will come back to bit them in the ass.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They made a play for Favre, understandable after the year he had last year, and he blew up in their faces in December.

They should have kept things as is and rolled with another QB next year, but now, who knows.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's something to ponder: Does Dallas hire Mangini as their DC?

i think he's too closely associated with the Parcells coaching tree for that idea. dallas burned all its bridges with the BP coaching tree, which is like half the good coaches in this league.

also, Mangini's philosophy is too different from Wade's. its not a good fit.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Mangini will definitely get a job, even if it's as a coordinator.

If people want to blacklist him for Spygate, that's just stupid. Teams and the league even knew what the Pats were up to, but the Pats were so arrogant as to keep doing it that they finally got busted.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jets going from 4-12 last season to 9-7 this season has very little to do with Mangini.

Just by watching the Jets this year you could tell they were a badly coached team.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
You really haven't seen more then 2 Jets games this year have you?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
he shouldn't have gotten fired. he's a good coach, but this year was sabotaged by Schottenheimer who is a terrible OC, and Favre who cost him numerous games.

he needed what Coughlin needed: a new staff around him. a new DC (insert Romeo Crennel) and a new OC (insert whoever) wouldve gotten him right back on track.

sometimes continuity is more important than a fresh start. he deserved at least one more year. i don't agree with this decision.
I have to disagree with you on this one, BBD. Should he have gotten fired? Could go either way but when you're 8-3 and you just beat arguably the best team in the NFL at the time (Titans) and then to completely choke to not just mediocre teams but down right bad teams. San Francisco plays hard but isn't that good, Seattle had FIVE new starters (several with no game experience) on the offensive line and they still got absolutely no pressure, a Buffalo game that they should have 100% lost if they didn't hand the game to them, and the only good team they played was Miami and that was in their own building.

Not only that but Magini can't get his team prepared and continued to make foolish decision after foolish decision, and the Seattle game being by far the icing on the cake for him getting fired with one of the poorest coached games I've seen in the past couple of years.

I would find it hard to keep a guy who had a 4-12 season the previous year and then choked away the season to some horrible teams down the stretch. Especially with as many 'win now' moves they made this off season.

I'm not saying you're wrong about some of the play calling on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, but that's why he's the head coach, he is ultimately responsible for what happens on the field.
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have given him another year, but I understand why he was fired.

I don't think the Jets are in any position to compete next year anyway, their qb situation is one of the worst in the NFL.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone is pegging McDaniels in as Cleveland's next coach.

But what if the Jets hire him, and hire Romeo as their DC?

You keep some continuity, while upgrading your staff. I know the chances are slim, but its worth a shot.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here's something to ponder: Does Dallas hire Mangini as their DC?

i think he's too closely associated with the Parcells coaching tree for that idea. dallas burned all its bridges with the BP coaching tree, which is like half the good coaches in this league.

also, Mangini's philosophy is too different from Wade's. its not a good fit.
I think he could go with Josh McDaniels as a DC with him since I don't think he is upset with him.(Browns?)
Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You keep some continuity, while upgrading your staff. I know the chances are slim, but its worth a shot.
You think they want to hire another Belichick coach? Also, do you think McDaniels would go there after he saw what happened between Mangini and Belichick. I don't see McDaniels going to the Jets at all.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Not a likely scenerio. 3 of BB coaches were just fired from their HCing positions, Crennel, Weis and of course Mangini. I doubt seriously they go in that direction.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one, BBD. Should he have gotten fired? Could go either way but when you're 8-3 and you just beat arguably the best team in the NFL at the time (Titans) and then to completely choke to not just mediocre teams but down right bad teams. San Francisco plays hard but isn't that good, Seattle had FIVE new starters (several with no game experience) on the offensive line and they still got absolutely no pressure, a Buffalo game that they should have 100% lost if they didn't hand the game to them, and the only good team they played was Miami and that was in their own building.

Not only that but Magini can't get his team prepared and continued to make foolish decision after foolish decision, and the Seattle game being by far the icing on the cake for him getting fired with one of the poorest coached games I've seen in the past couple of years.

I would find it hard to keep a guy who had a 4-12 season the previous year and then choked away the season to some horrible teams down the stretch. Especially with as many 'win now' moves they made this off season.

I'm not saying you're wrong about some of the play calling on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, but that's why he's the head coach, he is ultimately responsible for what happens on the field.
we said the SAME thing about Coughlin 2 years ago. he gets a 2nd chance with a new staff and wins the SB.

im not saying that would happen for the Jets, but sometimes we as fans need to just chill and allow guys to get another crack at it. i think Mangini would have turned this around.

sometimes **** happens. **** happened to Mangini.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Not a likely scenerio. 3 of BB coaches were just fired from their HCing positions, Crennel, Weis and of course Mangini. I doubt seriously they go in that direction.
Weis wasn't fired.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

wait, Weis got fired? when did this happen?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
wait, Weis got fired? when did this happen?
It will happen next year. He's predicting the future.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All things considered, i don't think it matters who is coaching the team, the trend for the Jets is to have an up year followed by a down year....sadly, this was supposed to be the up year, so we're back in the basement next year regardless...

Regardless of Spygate, Mangini will get a job as a coordinator if he is qualified (which he is). It comes down to winning. However, people will look at him closely because he did stab the previous team in the back after he left, and people will be careful with something like that. He'll get a job though.

Whoever said his D's have been successful was pretty off. The previous 2 years weren't anything special, as he forced the 3-4 with square pegs going into circle holes. This year there was a jump up, but again, it IMO was inconsistent and wasn't 'great'. It has some good pieces, but see the Patriots comeback with the 3 man rush and prevent D that lead to the OT forcing TD as a classic example of crap.

Like i said, i don't think the '2 winning seasons out of 3' is anything to be gloating about. He had a real good first season, even with a mish-mash defensive scheme, had a bad 2nd season, and blew it in his 3rd. I don't see the optimism. He got a bunch of talented guys, and failed. He didn't do a good job with playcalling, offensive or defensive, and he certainly didn't appear to get the guys motivated and ready to play to close the season or on trips to the coast. He beat Tennessee, it was sweet, i guess the guys got themselves pumped up for that game....but that doesn't sweeten the deal, it counted for nothing.

Oakland, Seattle, SF all beat them. Throw in Denver (in a game built for a strong gets game vs weak Denver run D) and Miami loses (both winnable). Some games they won but could have easily lost (Buffalo and KC), and a not so great showing against the Bengals......and i'm not feeling to positive about what took place. We dominated the Cardinals to pad the stats....nice. Thanks for coming out St. Louis, you were a big win.

Nuff Said.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
diab, I have to strongly disagree here. This team was a very ill-prepared team. Going 0-4 on the West Coast is inexcusible and falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Mangini tried to be too smart and would often out-smart himself. The choke job in the 2nd half of the season falls directly on Mangini and Favre
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
we said the SAME thing about Coughlin 2 years ago. he gets a 2nd chance with a new staff and wins the SB.

im not saying that would happen for the Jets, but sometimes we as fans need to just chill and allow guys to get another crack at it. i think Mangini would have turned this around.

sometimes **** happens. **** happened to Mangini.
I disagree. It seems like a comparable situation, and I suppose in a lot of ways it is but there a lot of key differences. One being that Coughlin was an experienced coach who's been around a long time in the NFL. Mangini is inexperienced and has serious trouble managing games. Coughlin took us to a couple of playoff games where Mangini took his team to one playoff game with Herm Edwards players.

**** didn't just happen to Mangini, but Mangini did **** to that team too.

I think Mangini will be a good coach down the line, he just needs to get some more experience and needs to be put in a better siutation with a better coaching staff surrounding him.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like this move one bit. They should have given him one more season. Oh well, for stupid moves like these, I hope they go on to lose their next 5 seasons.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This smacks of unnecessary desparation. Underlying causes or no, his results in any normal setting do not warrant a firing.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only people who don't think he should have been fired are people who haven't watched many Jets games
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote