Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I don't see how you have peppers as CPOY over antonio bryant and chad pennington. Bryant was not even in football last year
Simply put I've seen more of Pep than I have of Bryant

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
SaintsMan
Veteran

SaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I liked the writeup but agree totally with this post. Without brees at qb (replacing him by an starter-average-quality-qb) we would have been a 4 or 5 win team at best. Our line blew all year Colston was injured all the time. our best receiver was a millionth round pick in lance moore. One of the reasons he is better at home is because playing in a dome is easier for a pass happy team. Also our line performed better at home.
That and Brees has to play like superman every game just to keep it close. We had no defense or running game this season, just like the past 3 years he's been a Saint, expect for 06 when Deuce ran for over 1,000yds.
SaintsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Empty statistics" is, was and always has been a crappy argument. Its the same as the detractors who say Manning only got the record (when he did) because indy passed in the red zone.

or

Tomlinson only broke the record because he got the rock on the goal line.

You go with the method of moving the ball that gives your team the most success.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D Will is playing like the best RB in football right now. He's an amazing player, I was always a huge fan.

It also seems to me, maybe someone can clarify if this is true or not, that he's put on weight since entering the league. and thats made him into a complete back. he can do it all now, not just bounce it outside.

if the Panthers were more creative on offense, he'd be a major threat in the passing game too. i just love his game, he's really really good.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Simply put I've seen more of Pep than I have of Bryant
Obviously, you've seen more of the Panthers then any team, but I still don't see Peppers as a candidate of that award let alone the winner...Bryant was out of football completely, Peppers was playing he was just non-existant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Meh, My buddy is a packers fan, I guess favre molested him as a kid or something, and so we watched a lot of packers games and I really didn't feel like Rodgers was ready to lead a team to the playoffs with his fourth quarter performances. That should come with time but right now he isn't a guy I'm confident will at least drive his team down the field and give them a chance to win in the fourth
That's true, but I don't think that most people are too worried about it at this point in time. It was his first year after all and he can't get everything right from the start as there will be some bumps along the way. Throw in a defense and special teams that also enjoyed keeling over in the fourth quarter and it seems like more of a team effort.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
That's true, but I don't think that most people are too worried about it at this point in time. It was his first year after all and he can't get everything right from the start as there will be some bumps along the way. Throw in a defense and special teams that also enjoyed keeling over in the fourth quarter and it seems like more of a team effort.
Also the Packers were unlucky team this year. They will definitely be a playoff team next year.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
D Will is playing like the best RB in football right now. He's an amazing player, I was always a huge fan.

It also seems to me, maybe someone can clarify if this is true or not, that he's put on weight since entering the league. and thats made him into a complete back. he can do it all now, not just bounce it outside.

if the Panthers were more creative on offense, he'd be a major threat in the passing game too. i just love his game, he's really really good.
I wrote this fluff piece for another site not long ago it might explain whats changed

Quote:
by Steven Burton (BlindSite)

After the explosion of DeAngelo Williams onto the NFL scene many prognosticators and analysts are baffled as to why first of all Williams spent so long behind DeShaun Foster and secondly why they drafted talented Oregon back Jonathan Stewart in the first round of the 2008 NFL draft.

Initially, coming from a very poor college supporting cast and breaking records at Memphis it was expected that Williams would take over the starting role as the Carolina Panthers’ tailback within his first two years. That was not to be the case as during his rookie and sophomore seasons Williams remained largely a back up to the incumbent, and often ineffective DeShaun Foster.

While obviously the quarterback of the day, whether it be David Carr, Testaverde or even Matt Moore limited the chance of any running back in Davidson’s offense and the offensive line was a mere shadow of what it is today, the crux of the problem lay with Williams.

Williams lacked what all great runners require, determination and stamina. For all his faults and fumbles Foster, while not much of a runner ,always ran with the drive and indefatigable spirit (unfortunately nowhere near the talent) of an Adrian Peterson or Walter Payton and it wasn’t until Williams met Vinny Testaverde that he realized he was wasting both his talent and his career.

During Vinny Testaverde’s first start in his final season as an NFL quarterback Williams showed a lack of drive for the starting role. In an interview with the Charlotte Observer Testaverde detailed the player’s issues “I handed the ball off to him, he'd run 10 or 12 yards and put his hand up to come out of the game,” it showed a clear lack of desire to become the team’s featured back.

“After a few weeks, I said, ‘You have all the ability to be a great running back, but you need to get in shape and you need not to want to come out of the game.'”

The interaction between the veteran and the youngster seemed to motivate Williams who this season began a new tradition, taking it to the house. When breaking a tackle for five or six yards the vast majority of running backs will stop and return the huddle, it’s a given that they’d take the ball into either scoring position or the end zone. Williams on the other hand goes the distance, every time he breaks loose, no matter the temperature or the situation.

The results of this regime have been what can only be described as spectacular. Williams has this season managed 248 carries for 1,337 yards (5.4 ypc) and a team record and NFL leading 18 touchdowns (20 total). Most impressive is his six touchdown runs for 30+ yards, one away from equaling the current NFL record.

The highest praise of all comes from Testaverde who in the interview went on to say “He's just so explosive, he's quick to hit the hole, strong to the hole and nobody is catching him from behind.”

“He reminds me of two great backs, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders.”

“Put those two together and I think you have a DeAngelo Williams. In my eyes, he has the potential to be a really good back for a really long time."

With Williams formerly lacking drive and the stamina needed to become a starting tailback it’s no wonder the Panthers front office seemed poised to be done with Williams and the zone blocking system.

Marty Hurney, General manager of the Panthers longed to get back the team’s identity of power running and solid defense and did so by drafting Jeff Otah, the mammoth revelation at right tackle out of Pittsburgh with a traded first round pick, resigning Travelle Wharton to guard and seeking out larger, stronger men in free agency to replace the released Mike Wahle. The final (not in chronological order) piece of the puzzle was Stewart a rock of muscle mass with speed and vision, it seemed the Oregon runner would steal the starting job as a rookie, at least until training camp actually started.

Daily updates from the Panthers training camp and OTAs whether from Journalists or fans detailed marked improvement in Williams and team mates could not stop raving about his impressive turnaround from the previous season.

Stewart has by no means been a slouch in his backup role amassing his own 9 touchdowns and 780 yards. This has left the Panthers in a rather advantageous predicament. Two talented, young, motivated and potentially dominant backs behind a well put together, young and powerful offensive line supported by a very talented defense and possibly the NFL’s best wide receiver. The backs have combined to become the most productive two man team in the NFL and their future is undeniably bright.

The only question remaining, just how far can these two backs take the Panthers this season, and just how can defenses hope stop them?

Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lolz he ran for 1337 yards

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
lolz he ran for 1337 yards

“Put those two together and I think you have a DeAngelo Williams."

Barry Sanders+Emmitt Smith=Deangelo Williams? Vinny Testaverde officially is senile. Nurse, please clean this guy up, I think he vomited on himself. Deangelo Williams has had a great season and he'll have more but that is the worst comparison I've ever read. A good read though.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

No doubt he was trying to be nice for the Panthers faithful. I found the comparisons a little humorous as well I still think he's priest holmes 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
“Put those two together and I think you have a DeAngelo Williams."

Barry Sanders+Emmitt Smith=Deangelo Williams? Vinny Testaverde officially is senile. Nurse, please clean this guy up, I think he vomited on himself. Deangelo Williams has had a great season and he'll have more but that is the worst comparison I've ever read. A good read though.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just realized that three teams that lost "win and in" games could have avoided this position if they hadn't lost to the Raiders. (Broncos, Jets, Bucs)

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I'm not saying Rodgers will fail because of his flaws this season, I'm just saying that this season he has these flaws and I'm trying to prevent people from getting ahead of themselves with him. He'll be a top 10 QB for you guys for a long time, but he's not number 4 yet so let's not anoint him as such yet.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote