Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 02-17-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
ChazMonk
Rookie

ChazMonk hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
I don't think you can rule out Quinn. He would be a huge upgrade over Frye. Peterson is a huge risk, he looks good on paper but couldn't even get through a college season for the last 2 years. What good is he if he can't stay on the field?? Thomas will probably be drafted by Detroit.
I think it is going to come down to player's workouts and personal interviews. If Quinn passes with flying colours, he'll be our pick , if not, then it's Johnson or a trade down, because after Russell, Thomas, Quinn and Johnson, it's a pretty good dropoff in talent to the #5 prospect. These 4 guys are the elite prospects in this draft, at least before the combine and personal workouts, so unless some player blows the scouts away, we will have to take one or trade down. It's pretty feasible as the demand for Quinn or Johnson could be very tempting for some top 12 NFL team. We won't go any lower than that.
I still say it comes down to free agency. I am neither pro or anti Quinn/Russell. With our salary cap space, if we can bring in 3 studs, i.e. Dielman, A. Thomas (as a DE possibly), N. Clements, etc. or any other OL, then I trust Savage to take his pick in round number 1. If that ends up being Quinn, Russell or Peterson, than I know he has done his homework and is comfortable with the choice. He has two drafts under his belt now, and I consider both Edwards and Wimbley to be solid picks.

BUT, if he decides to add Thomas with the first pick AND take 1-2 OL in FA then I would back that as well, with the hope that the qb/rb positions are addressed next year, because I am still solid with thinking that Fry is not a starter in this league, but a very solid backup, and Droughns has seen better days and was never an elite back. (I am selfish and want my LT or LJ, what can I say :D )
ChazMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
ChazMonk
Rookie

ChazMonk hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMonk
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazMonk
I don't post much, but am always reading up on my Brown's, so here is some tidbits I have come up with regarding what I think, though of course I am no expert.

I like to think I am always loyal to the players on my teams, so bear that in mind when I say this: If we are truly striving to be the best team we can be, how can we possibly be happy with Droughns and Fry as our starting RB and QB respectively? Droughns will never be an elite back and Fry will never be a Manning or Favre (I know, few QB's are, but why can't we strive for it, instead of being the Raven's of 2000 with Dilfer or the Bears of this year). So why are so many people against picking a Russell, Quinn or Peterson in the first round.
If we are truly striving to be the best team we can be, how can we be happy with a sub-par offensive line not allowing any of our quarterback's or running back's any chance (seemingly) to do their jobs correctly year after year?
True, but to that I say our best bet is FA for the line and picks 2-7. Getting an outstanding QB and RB would be more realistic with the 1st round pick. And my main point is we will not win a super bowl with our current qb and rb situation, so why not strive for the best at those positions as well? I for one have never understood all the hoopla surrounding Fry, not that I think he is terrible. And when was the last time the Browns had a "blue chip" RB? And why not? I know the line is to blame as well, but I for one am completely tired of the 31st ranked running attack in the league every year.

I totally agree we need the trenches fixed to go to the next level, but having an outstanding backfield would be nice as well, and would even stoke the interest of fans.
So basically we both think that we need to strive for a great backfield and o-line (obviously :roll: ) but there's an issue with money and only 1 pick for an elite player. I feel that o-line is a more pressing need, but, don't get me wrong, I would not be upset at drafting AP in the 1st round. However, I'm still on Charlie's bandwagon and will be ticked off immensely if we take Quinn or Russel.

Also, look at Tampa Bay about 5 years ago. Who did they have behind center? Brad johnson with Warrick Dunn behind him? That's hardly great. Granted, they had an amazing defense, and it is a rare occurrence that a team wins the super bowl without an elite RB or QB, but it can be done.

Lastly, you've prompted me to change my sig, although I'm still putting Thomases name first.
First, I'm glad I inspired someone today :D . Secondly, I honestly think there are some pretty elite/solid OL that will be around for our second pick. I don't feel the same way about the skill positions we have discussed. So here is my sad attempt at my perfect draft (which is far from perfect because I can't make up my mind....) Again, these will change with who we pick up in FA

1. Russell/Quinn/Peterson/trade down (and option I like, and take Okoye or Carriker or Branch)
2. Grubbs/Blalock
3. Kalil/M. Bush
ChazMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I don't think you can rule out Quinn. He would be a huge upgrade over Frye. Peterson is a huge risk, he looks good on paper but couldn't even get through a college season for the last 2 years. What good is he if he can't stay on the field?? Thomas will probably be drafted by Detroit.
I think it is going to come down to player's workouts and personal interviews. If Quinn passes with flying colours, he'll be our pick , if not, then it's Johnson or a trade down, because after Russell, Thomas, Quinn and Johnson, it's a pretty good dropoff in talent to the #5 prospect. These 4 guys are the elite prospects in this draft, at least before the combine and personal workouts, so unless some player blows the scouts away, we will have to take one or trade down. It's pretty feasible as the demand for Quinn or Johnson could be very tempting for some top 12 NFL team. We won't go any lower than that.
I'm not ruling Quinn out, I just want to

Both of Peterson's injuries were freak accidents, not at all related, and are the types of injuries that do not linger, so I don't think that his injury problem's are a huge concern.

I agree that right now it seems like Detroit will take Joe Thomas, but the draft is still a long time away and hopefully something will change their minds. (At least I hope so)

Johnson as our pick? Last time I checked Matt Millen wasn't a part of our front office. But I agree with the huge drop-off in talent, which would probably make it easier to trade our pick. If we could trade it for an extra 3rd round pick and still get Branch, then we could have helped our trenches just as much as we would've without the trade in the first 3 rounds while still getting Michael Bush. Not a bad day 1.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not ruling Quinn out, I just want to

Both of Peterson's injuries were freak accidents, not at all related, and are the types of injuries that do not linger, so I don't think that his injury problem's are a huge concern.

I agree that right now it seems like Detroit will take Joe Thomas, but the draft is still a long time away and hopefully something will change their minds. (At least I hope so)

Johnson as our pick? Last time I checked Matt Millen wasn't a part of our front office. But I agree with the huge drop-off in talent, which would probably make it easier to trade our pick. If we could trade it for an extra 3rd round pick and still get Branch, then we could have helped our trenches just as much as we would've without the trade in the first 3 rounds while still getting Michael Bush. Not a bad day 1.
I disagree on Peterson, his running style means he is going to take a lot of big hits. If he couldn't stay healthy for 2 years in college, he'll have a hard time taking punishment as a pro. He's a huge risk to draft and we simply cannot be taking risks with the #3/4 pick in the draft. If he proves to be brittle as a pro, this franchise will have wasted an opportunity to advance and it would be 2009/2010 before we would recover. It's simply not worth the risk for a rebuilding franchise and I seriously doubt we take him.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
I thought our secondary was a bright spot this season, and, when healthy, I believe it to be a top 10 secondary in the league. Granted, we are missing another good starting corner opposite Bodden, who is a top ten corner when healthy. And we have a strong core of safeties, led by Sean Jones who is an elite safety and the best player on the Brown's.
Just another Browns fan horribly overrating his own team. Be realistic.

Bodden (despite being a good player now) isnt near the top 10 in the league!

Sean Jones is nowhere near an elite safety, I have no clue why you even think this. Hes a solid up and coming player so far.

And to even think the Browns (when healthy) are a top 10 unit in the backfield is crazy. The stats speak for themselves. We are weak in that category.

Sean Jones our best player? Hopefully you ment on deffense and even then its not true. Wimbley won our deffensive player of the year, voted by teamates. And even then Andra Davis is better and more productive than Jones.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You got the wrong read on Jones, Montainya....Jones was a playmaker in our secondary and should have made the pro bowl - in fact he probably would've been a top vote getter if he played on a good defense like San Diego or Baltimore instead of us. Jones is on his way to being elite though he isn't there yet, and he is 100000x better than Andra Davis on defense.

Bodden is near the top 10 in the league as a CB despite your misconception, if we won games in 2005 he would've went to the probowl then. If we add Clements then the young and talented D-backfield of Bodden-Pool-Jones-Clements could have the pontential to be one of the top secondaries in the NFL
Old 02-17-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya
Quote:
I thought our secondary was a bright spot this season, and, when healthy, I believe it to be a top 10 secondary in the league. Granted, we are missing another good starting corner opposite Bodden, who is a top ten corner when healthy. And we have a strong core of safeties, led by Sean Jones who is an elite safety and the best player on the Brown's.
Just another Browns fan horribly overrating his own team. Be realistic.

Bodden (despite being a good player now) isnt near the top 10 in the league!

Sean Jones is nowhere near an elite safety, I have no clue why you even think this. Hes a solid up and coming player so far.

And to even think the Browns (when healthy) are a top 10 unit in the backfield is crazy. The stats speak for themselves. We are weak in that category.

Sean Jones our best player? Hopefully you ment on deffense and even then its not true. Wimbley won our deffensive player of the year, voted by teamates. And even then Andra Davis is better and more productive than Jones.
statisticaly, our secondary wasnt that good. if you actually watched the browns games you would know that is b/c our DL doesnt provide enough pressure on the QB. bodden is one of the better coverage corner's in the league. says so ocho cinco.

while we may not be a top 10 coverage unit, we are pretty good. give Brodney Pool a year or 2 to start, and we'd have one, if not the best, saftey duo in the league. and to say that wimbley is the best player on the team would be an overated statement. while he showed one of the best performances of a rookie in browns history, sean jones is also one of the best players on the team. thats a matter of opinion. and he WILL be and elite saftey. brodney pool will also be an elite saftey, says so phil savage.

to say that davis was more productive than jones is an overating a player. while davis is good, he racks up 100+ tackles a year b/c our Dline sucks. and with 100 so tackles, less then 10 were for a loss. and davis didnt show up untill half way thru the season. davis is consistant. a decent coverage LB. he's not a playmaker. sean jones is a future pro bowler. mark my words.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Whatever excuses you guys want to keep making as to why Jones isnt elite/made the pro bowl, why are secondary was bad, why Bodden didnt make the pro bowl/isnt quit top 10 yet, it doesnt matter! The fact is its not true yet, and weather it will be or not, the fact is its just not true right now.

Elite safeties = Reed, Dawkins, Palamolu, etc.......

Sean Jones didnt even make the pro bowl. He might be an all pro one day, but that doesnt even make him near elite.

i can name 15 DB's that are better than Bodeen despite him being a very good player, hes not close to top 10.

And if Bodden was top 10, and Jones was elite, then our secondary wouldnt have gave up so many TD's.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Whatever excuses you guys want to keep making as to why Jones isnt elite/made the pro bowl, why are secondary was bad, why Bodden didnt make the pro bowl/isnt quit top 10 yet, it doesnt matter! The fact is its not true yet, and weather it will be or not, the fact is its just not true right now.

Sean Jones didnt even make the pro bowl. He might be an all pro one day, but that doesnt even make him near elite.

i can name 15 DB's that are better than Bodeen despite him being a very good player, hes not close to top 10.

And if Bodden was top 10, and Jones was elite, then our secondary wouldnt have gave up so many TD's.
one reason why jones didnt make it to the pro bowl is b/c the browns are not a nationally televised team yet. we dont play monday nights. ppl vote for who they watch. the whole country doesnt watch the browns yet. just from here to pittsburgh.

thats great that you can name 15 db's better than bodden. thats pretty good. if there's 4 Dbacks in each standard defensive alignment, that means there are 128 starting DB's in the league. so if there are 15 better than bodden, that makes him the 16th right? i'll take that.

2 players dont make a secondary, thats why we let so many TD's. holly is proven to be valuable, but not a starter, and as much as i like russel, he's slow.

as far as the players that you mentioned(dawkins, palamolu, reed) ED and Troy belong to a great defense. making them that much better. and dawkins belongs to a fairly stout secondary. good players are made elite by the help of other good players. jones is a good player with a s*** DL, 2 rookie LB's. one on the decline. and one that shows up but doesn't make plays. not to mention that jones is THE ONLY PLAYER on defense to start every game.

on another note, ed reed was drafted by savage. (see above posts)savage also says that pool is and elite player. i'll take his word for it.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would actually like to hear who the 15 better than Bodden are.
I wouldn't say top 10, but top 15 is a definite.

As for Jones, of course he isn't elite, he has only started on year. However, he is one of the better young safeties in the NFL, and had his play not trailed off a little in the last 3-5 games, he would have had a legitamate shot at the pro bowl (if people knew about him).

Russell is solid, and important to our secodanary.

I don't think CB is big need this season, with Tucker coaching them, we can get away with average talent. We need to work on the trenches, then see what we have outside, because it all starts up front.

I say let Pool and Holley battle for the #2 and 3 corner spots this year and maybe next depending on how much more work our front seven needs. Then move Pool to FS and draft a legit corner.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree, there is a huge difference between potential and how they are playing now. While the Cleveland secondary has real potential to get better, they aren't there yet, not even close, that's just wishful thinking.
Can Bodden, Jones, and Pool turn into solid pros, I think so but it will take time and unless the DL gets better, we won't be sending too many guys to Pro Bowls.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
dlions20

you guys are in love with "potential". Potential is what every NFL player has, not just Jones, Poole etc....

You think there the only 2 young safetys in this league noone has heard of? When they deserve it, thats when people will hear of them.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 AM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
on another note, ed reed was drafted by savage. (see above posts)savage also says that pool is and elite player. i'll take his word for it.
So that means Reed = Poole because Savage drafted both?

Savage has.....NEVER said Poole is an Elite player. Maybe a top talent, there is a 100% difference.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Westbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmonk
1. Russell/Quinn/Peterson/trade down (and option I like, and take Okoye or Carriker or Branch)
2. Grubbs/Blalock
3. Kalil/M. Bush
Round 1: agree about Russell/Quinn/Peterson. Okoye won't make a good 3/4 DE. Branch is allright, Carriker, I don't know about him THAT early.

Besides, it has already been stated from Phil that this draft will focus on the Offense. Add in that Phil is a BPA guy, and we'll take JR/BQ/AP.

Round 2: Both of them are guards. While you really never know what Phil will do, history has shown us that he won't pick guards until day 2 (rounds 4-7). We have been 'talking' to Staley, Ugoh, Harris, Free, Marten, etc. Tackles that are sapose to be there in R2. <---Source Cleveland Plain Dealer.

We could see abriamri or bush or someone, but offense is the focus point of the 07 draft.

Round 3: Kalil is an interior lineman as well who is basically a jeff faine copycat which didn't fare well here. Plus with Bentley, I don't see us taking a long term option at C. Fraley is just the scapegoat for another year.

I do like Bush though. He can be used anywhere, RB/WR. He has the hight/speed/hands to be an WR and has had the success at BIG EAST Louisville @ HB. It would also give Russell/Frye/Quinn/Anderson or whoever else COULD be our starting QB next year another target out of the backfield since he's one of the best HB receivers.

Lastly on the secondary debate.

It's not bad! They were injured and bagged up. They didn't get any help form the DLINE, nor the offense for the situations the Defense was put in.

Quote:
“It wasn’t that hard a pick. We really feel good about him. I think he’s going to be a pleasant surprise for us in a year or so. He’s the total package.”
That is what was said about the pick of Pool. I couldn't find the word 'elite' anywhere, but that little Phil Savage quote is enough for me to think he'll be something special.

Also, Montainya, I would like to hear what corners are better than a HEALTHY Bodden. Chad Johnson/Ocho Cinco loves to go up against him since it's such a challenge.

Lastly, if you are going to say that if you didn't go to the pro bowl, your aren't good or whatever statement you're trying to make, than you, are, an idiot! I'd love for you to tell me Tom Brady is a bust since he didn't win the super bowl this year nor did he go to Hawaii.

Pro Bowlers are fan favorites, not people who are the best of the best at their position. Cleveland is not a nationally televised team. Hell all of our games weren't even shown in northeastern Ohio! Hard for people in California to consider Jones a fan favorite and give him a free vacation to the 50th state.

Our secondary is not only good, but loaded with potential. With that said, our depth is in question and another EXPERIENCED corner should be brought in to ease the loss of Dutch, and not having Baxtor.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Heres the facts, the safeties that made the pro bowl are currently better than Sean Jones. The Browns not being on TV much is an excuse. Theres plenty of horrible teams that have good players make it out there.

Jones stats looked above average because we were on deffense so much.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Fresh
Rookie

Fresh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21
Quote:

one reason why jones didnt make it to the pro bowl is b/c the browns are not a nationally televised team yet. we dont play monday nights. ppl vote for who they watch. the whole country doesnt watch the browns yet. just from here to pittsburgh.

thats great that you can name 15 db's better than bodden. thats pretty good. if there's 4 Dbacks in each standard defensive alignment, that means there are 128 starting DB's in the league. so if there are 15 better than bodden, that makes him the 16th right? i'll take that.

2 players dont make a secondary, thats why we let so many TD's. holly is proven to be valuable, but not a starter, and as much as i like russel, he's slow.

as far as the players that you mentioned(dawkins, palamolu, reed) ED and Troy belong to a great defense. making them that much better. and dawkins belongs to a fairly stout secondary. good players are made elite by the help of other good players. jones is a good player with a s*** DL, 2 rookie LB's. one on the decline. and one that shows up but doesn't make plays. not to mention that jones is THE ONLY PLAYER on defense to start every game.

My thoughts exactly JSimmsy. Also, I'd like to take back my comment that Jones is an elite safety, since he has only started one year. However, he did have an elite year and if he continues to play like he did this past season year after year, he should be considered an elite safety.

Also, he hasn't gone unnoticed. I believe an SI writer put Jones as a starter on his All-Pro defensive team and called it "probably the easiest decision I had to make." And it can't be said enough: Our Dline was horrendous and no secondary can look good when the QB has that much time to throw.
Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
dlions20

RoyHall, I saw that you had us taking Victor Abiamiri in RD2. I feel the same way and really think he could be a monster in a year or 2 to replace McGinest.

I really excited about the fact that he could still be there in early RD2.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
dlions20

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wi...shopping_carr/

For a third rounder I would take David Carr. Preferably a 4rth but...

I want Frye to have competition.[/quote]
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

i really do play the role of having anti posts. lol

anyways. i'd be happy with taking a LB in the second rnd. but i feel, personally, that the gap of good talent on this team needs to be more filled before we go picking up more LB's in the second rnd. we need ppl for the trenches. i'd love to have carriker. even tank tyler in the second rnd. or staley. even ugoh. somebody for the trenches is what i am looking forward to.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
carriker. even tank tyler in the second rnd. or staley. even ugoh.
Carriker will not get past the 1st round.

Tank Tyler could, but would just be Ted Washingtons back-up for most the season.

Ugoh played horrible in the senior bowl and was really esposed, if we drafted him he wouldnt even play this year.

The DL is a hard place for a rookie to produce compared to a LB. We will probably target a DE in FA.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
carriker. even tank tyler in the second rnd. or staley. even ugoh.
Carriker will not get past the 1st round.

Tank Tyler could, but would just be Ted Washingtons back-up for most the season.

Ugoh played horrible in the senior bowl and was really esposed, if we drafted him he wouldnt even play this year.

The DL is a hard place for a rookie to produce compared to a LB. We will probably target a DE in FA.
you're right, carriker will more than likely go in rnd 1.

teddy can't play a whole game. who do we have that will take his spot when he is out of breath every 3 plays? nobody.

ugoh was just a suggestion. but staley is 100% possiblity. and that would solve our other T spot.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
dlions20

Quote:
but staley is 100% possiblity
IMO, Staley is the same player as Eric Winston. There athletic (use to be TE's), but just dont get the job done like you exspect. Staley is a project and will be drafted on potential. He would also not play this year for the Browns unless we have injuries.

RD2 position contributers could be a SLB, CB, or OG right away. Most other positions would take time.

You mentioned Washington not being able to play much, its not like McGinest can either.

A SLb is more of a skilled psoition than a NT or 3-4 DE. You can get impact DL later in the draft. Its harder to find a SLB in this draft.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

in a 3-4 Defense. the DL job is to take the blocks for the LB's to get by more freely. lets take a look at some of the best 3/4 d's in the league.

New England. NT spot led by wilfork. has the help of seymour. this DL makes 31+ year old LB's look REALLY good. the good play of this DL make offenseive lines double team the constantly. wilfork was a first rnd pick.

San Deigo. NT spot led by williams. regarded as one of the most disruptive NT's in the league. same situation. he wasnt a first rnd pick. but he's damn good. two good DE's help this cause. and makes merrimans job ALOT easier, which is why he will be one of the best LB's ever to play the game.

Pittsburgh. NT led by Hampton. has no help from a DE. first rnd pick. he is consitantly double teamed, letting the likes of farrior and foote run freely. this team constantly applies pressure against both run and pass. with just one good DLmen.

Baltimore. NT led by Ngata. a first rnd pick. Ray lewis said himself that this team better draft him to make is job that much easier. he was an upgrade over Teddy.

my point is that the the LB in the 3/4 is a key spot. but the the NT is the heart of if all. if he doesnt supply a good rush, then he will only be single covered. meaning the LB wont be able to do anything. EVERYTHING STARTS IN THE TRENCHES.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Westbourne

Quote:
Quote:
but staley is 100% possiblity
IMO, Staley is the same player as Eric Winston. There athletic (use to be TE's), but just dont get the job done like you exspect. Staley is a project and will be drafted on potential. He would also not play this year for the Browns unless we have injuries.
Do you not realize how good Winston was before his injury? You said Staley is the same, meaning a dominant Left Tackle? That's what Winston was before he hurt his knee. He was even projected to be a top 15 pick.
Quote:
Overall: Winston is a former tight end who moved to left tackle as a sophomore in 2003. He was in the process of becoming a dominant left tackle towards the end of that season, but suffered a season-ending left knee injury four games into the 2004 season. Winston returned to the starting lineup as a senior in 2005, starting all 12 games at left tackle. Winston is a former tight end who shows impressive athletic ability for his size. He also is a mature player, who will work hard to maximize his physical tools at the next level. Had he not suffered the injury as a junior, Winston likely would have left school early and could have been a high first round pick in 2005. However, Winston was not the same dominating player in 2005 as he was prior to his 2004 season-ending knee injury.
Winston was never the same after his knee problems (like a lot of people, a la, Winslow who said his knee has never been the same). To say Staley will be like him is a huge plus for him considering how many teams lushed after Winston HOPING he could work past his injury and become that dominant LT.

They were both TE's turned LT. Both big. Both fast (winston not quite like Staley). Both very athletic due to their size.

He's dedicated to the game, gained 85lbs without losing any athletic ability to be able to be a force in football.

Lastly, who would beat out Staley if we drafted him? Tucker? Sowells? Butler? It would only be between him and Butler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemontainya
RD2 position contributers could be a SLB, CB, or OG right away. Most other positions would take time.

You mentioned Washington not being able to play much, its not like McGinest can either.

A SLb is more of a skilled psoition than a NT or 3-4 DE. You can get impact DL later in the draft. Its harder to find a SLB in this draft.
Not an exact quote, but something along the lines of "Offense will be the focus point of the 2007 draft." ~ Phil Savage.

The last guard to be drafted in round 2 by Phil Savage.....none.
The last guard to be drafted on the first day by Phil Savage.....Casey Rabach, by the Newsome/Savage tandem (also the only guard/center drafted by Savage on day 1)
It's been established that Phil thinks guards drafted on the second day can be just as or even more productive than the guards drafted first round. It is very unlikely we draft interior lineman first day.

McGinest not being able to play the whole game...It has already been stated that Williams WILL compete for the starting job with Willie in preseason. source: Phil's press conference. Wille will probably start but if Leon is competing against him, I guess he'll be able to relieve him as well? Leon doesn't have the preferred weight/height to play there, but Brees and Steve Smith are considered to small and they seem to do alright...

Lastly, please name one TRUE nose tackle for a 3/4 defense in this draft.

Branch, considered a 3/4 end that could be a serviceable DT. Tank, maybe. Brown and Soliai would be good fits but aren't first day material.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Westbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimmsy21
in a 3-4 Defense. the DL job is to take the blocks for the LB's to get by more freely. lets take a look at some of the best 3/4 d's in the league.

New England. NT spot led by wilfork. has the help of seymour. this DL makes 31+ year old LB's look REALLY good. the good play of this DL make offenseive lines double team the constantly. wilfork was a first rnd pick.

San Deigo. NT spot led by williams. regarded as one of the most disruptive NT's in the league. same situation. he wasnt a first rnd pick. but he's damn good. two good DE's help this cause. and makes merrimans job ALOT easier, which is why he will be one of the best LB's ever to play the game.

Pittsburgh. NT led by Hampton. has no help from a DE. first rnd pick. he is consitantly double teamed, letting the likes of farrior and foote run freely. this team constantly applies pressure against both run and pass. with just one good DLmen.

Baltimore. NT led by Ngata. a first rnd pick. Ray lewis said himself that this team better draft him to make is job that much easier. he was an upgrade over Teddy.

my point is that the the LB in the 3/4 is a key spot. but the the NT is the heart of if all. if he doesnt supply a good rush, then he will only be single covered. meaning the LB wont be able to do anything. EVERYTHING STARTS IN THE TRENCHES.
Are you trying to say that all those teams run a successful 3/4 defense and one key element is that they all have a DT that is great along with good linebackers (which the browns have)? AMAZING...

[sarcasm]I wonder if it's a coincidence?[/sarcasm]