Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Carolina Panthers Team Forum

Carolina Panthers Team Forum Discuss the Panthers

Old 01-11-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Moving on to the offseason

What do you do to star preparing for next season?

Who do you re-sign, who do you like as a free agent, what coaching decisions would you make, what players move up on the depth chart, and what/who do you want to draft?
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Moore moves up to start at QB and Richard Marshall should start at the other corner, as for free agents i think we should sign a QB like Warner or Collins to teach Matt Moore as well as a DT like Tommie Harris or Albert Haynesworth and in the draft i think you look at either QB DT or DE with our first 3 picks although as ive said before theirs not a whole lot of depth at QB so if we dont get one early on were basically putting our faith in Matt Moore or the veteran that i mentioned before (if Moore tanks) to be next years QB
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 AM    (permalink
d-dave

I think you really have to evaluate each position and look very hard at Gross and Peppers.

A "crazy" idea would be to franchaise Peppers if he's seeking $15+ million a season. Let's be very realistic here. Peppers is going to be 29 next season. Not too old, but no spring chicken. How many years would we have to sign him to at how much money. You have to consider things like leadership and over all effectiveness in big games when you're going to drop $60+ million on a guy. I mean, its one thing to get 3 sacks versus the Raiders, but where was he in the biggest game of the season? Meanwhile as this mess is figured out, if some desperate young team wants to trade a 1st rounder + something else of interest, then I would be tempted to take it, allowing us to get back into the first round of the draft.

I love Peppers as a NC product, but I'm not sure how much longer he can get by with sloppy technique much longer by pure talent alone. I hate to say it, but I think Peppers misses the vetran leadership of the 2002-2004 team when he had Buckner and Rucker next to him to help him out.

When we look at Gross, again, I have a similar feeling about him that I do Peppers. Gross is a good guy, solid player, and a high effort guy. I do not think he is worth top 3 tackle money. Sure he was all pro and pro bowl, but at age 28 is he worth tossing $7-11 million a season? I just don't think he's that good. Too many false starts, he has trouble with the elite pass rushers, and he isn't as tough in the running game as I would really like. But Gross is a leader and a corner stone of consistancy on this team and offensive line. That's a major reason I'm more inclined to sign him up long term.

Now the other major question for the Panthers to address with these two big name players will be where could we find/draft a replacement? I am not sure at this point in time.

To address the QB question, I think Jake will be our starting QB come September unless he retires. I would like to see Moore in with the first team this preseason to check his developement as a QB. I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade in talent level here with maybe a small school guy later in the draft who has some leadership, fire, and smarts.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sign Byron Leftwitch, restructure or cut Delhomme and trade/cut McCown

Go into TC with Byron, Delhomme and Moore competing for the QB spot. I could care less what we do with Peppers. Signing him has its advantages, so does franchising and trading him. The only thing I'd be wary of is pissing him off (~motivating him) by ditching him...but it's not like we can do anything about that. It's a plus for the team acquiring him, not a minus for us.

Draft a CB or DT in round 2
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
Sign Byron Leftwitch, restructure or cut Delhomme and trade/cut McCown

Go into TC with Byron, Delhomme and Moore competing for the QB spot. I could care less what we do with Peppers. Signing him has its advantages, so does franchising and trading him. The only thing I'd be wary of is pissing him off (~motivating him) by ditching him...but it's not like we can do anything about that. It's a plus for the team acquiring him, not a minus for us.

Draft a CB or DT in round 2
Oh please no not Leftwhich. He is good once in a while but he will never be the answer for any team. There will be fumbles galore for the NFC south, not to mention injuries.

I think McCown brings more to the table honestly.

I would really want to get something out of Peppers, I'd like to trade him above all else.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leftwitch is honestly just a GIGS move. I would rate him as a QB about equal to Delhomme. Fumbles from the QB position would be nothing new for us and at least with Byron the team won't be blinded by the belief that they have some miracle worker in the passing game. They'll accept him for what he is and focus the offense on our strength - the running backs. Smith won't be neglected either, because if there's one thing Leftwitch can do it's launch a ball downfield. Plus, he successfully completed the course we wanted David Carr to finish before seeing time as a starter here - sit a year as a back up on a good team. The injuries are a concern, but they should be with Delhomme as well. I think it's obvious that his magically reconstructed arm started feeling the effects of the surgery after the bye week, and there's no way to know if it'll recover next year. Plus, he's getting old, and with that, more fragile

I've seen McCown play quite a bit, and I never want to see him as a "starter" on this team. There are worse options to have as the guy to come in mid-game should your starter get hurt, but once that injury becomes long term you need to look elsewhere. He plays like Delhomme, but worse. In the same fashion that Jake is a poor man's Favre, McCown is a poor man's Jake
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote