Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
49erfaithful
Veteran

49erfaithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Now that Sanchez is pro, i hope we dont take him. I like him as a prospect, but our needs at OT and S are much more

Last edited by 49erfaithful : 01-14-2009 at 05:28 PM.
49erfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Any thought to BJ Raji now?

With Bradford and Mays out, he is creeping into the top 10-15. And I myself am still upset on missing out on Ngata after the VD hype kicked in post-combine.

If we stay with the 3-4 we need a true NT as well as an outside edge rusher (which we also don't have - E. Brown?)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im starting to talk myself into BJ Raji being the pick. Im still crossing my fingers Monroe, Smith or Oher drop to 10. But I think a true NT would really help.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Im starting to talk myself into BJ Raji being the pick. Im still crossing my fingers Monroe, Smith or Oher drop to 10. But I think a true NT would really help.

I'd be happy with him as well. He's the only truly impressive NT that is a viable top 10 pick.

I wasn't comparing him to Ngata, but I think he's a major upgrade over Sop. And there isn't a lot of free agent or trade block NT/DTs out there like last year (Jenkins, Stroud etc.)

We need more line help and if Raji works out well, this'll put us one edge rusher from a great front 7.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinersfaninCanada View Post
I'd be happy with him as well. He's the only truly impressive NT that is a viable top 10 pick.

I wasn't comparing him to Ngata, but I think he's a major upgrade over Sop. And there isn't a lot of free agent or trade block NT/DTs out there like last year (Jenkins, Stround etc.)

We need more line help and if Raji works out well, this'll put us one edge rusher from a great front 7.
Im going into this off-season thinking the biggest needs for the niners is a RT and a FS. So the only issue I have with Raji is that he doesnt fill a huge need for this team. The way the draft is shaping out though the niners may be forced to ignore one of these needs. Im hoping one of the QBs falls to 10 and either the Jets or Vikings offer their 2nd to move up.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfaithful View Post
Now that Sanchez is pro, i hope we dont take him. I like him as a prospect, but our needs at OT and S are much more
if sf moves out of the 10 spot, Sanchez would be a good pick towards late in the 1st. maybe swing a deal w/ Philly for both thier 1st's.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
if sf moves out of the 10 spot, Sanchez would be a good pick towards late in the 1st. maybe swing a deal w/ Philly for both thier 1st's.
I doubt we get two firsts for the 10th pick.

I agree, our biggest needs are RT and FS, however, we were 7-9 and are far from a 2 player fix, as we all know.

I would think we take the biggest impact player who has a shot to start. And I'm a big believer that the game is one with your front 6 (o-line and qb) on offense and your front 7 on defense.

So in that instance I go the best front 7 defensive player (or possibly Jenkins) with the first pick and then look to shore up either RT/S with the round 2 pick and a possible FA pickup.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
You mean:
4. E. Monroe right?

If so, I agree with those five, but I'd rank 'em Smith, Monroe, Orakpo, Oher, Jenkins with Crabtree sixth. Of course, this also leaves out Stafford as I don't see us moving into the top 3. I'd be happy with any of those guys. Hell, I'd like Curry as well. I think we're in great shape to land a nice playmaker.
No I ment Oher, I don't think Monroe is a very good fit at Rt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinersfaninCanada View Post
I doubt we get two firsts for the 10th pick.

I agree, our biggest needs are RT and FS, however, we were 7-9 and are far from a 2 player fix, as we all know.

I would think we take the biggest impact player who has a shot to start. And I'm a big believer that the game is one with your front 6 (o-line and qb) on offense and your front 7 on defense.

So in that instance I go the best front 7 defensive player (or possibly Jenkins) with the first pick and then look to shore up either RT/S with the round 2 pick and a possible FA pickup.
We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.[/quote]

I agree with the way they finished the year I feel they really just need a few more positions filled. But correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Balmer project as a 3-4 DE not a NT? His size says he should be able to play NT but I remember maybe draft guys saying they didnt think he could play NT. I'm not sure now. I hope he can so I dont feel they wasted the pick.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
No I ment Oher, I don't think Monroe is a very good fit at Rt.

We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.
I think the line of the future is Smith at RE, Balmer at LE (Balmer was a Bryant Young future replacement (bit of a panic pick, especially when i was screaming Kenny Phillips at the TV, not sure how you pass on a Miami safety at the end of Round 1) Sopoaga/Franklin at NT. However, from what I saw this year the Sop/Frank duo did a fine job of holding the point of attack but there wasn't alot of penetration....

If you look at nearly any successful 3-4 defense they all have a top NT

Pitt - Hampton
Bal - Ngata, Gregg etc.
NE - Wolfork (past success)
SD - J Williams

Unless we plan on playing a 4-3 we are going to have to go out a get a 320 lb explosive type NT. We passed on guys like Jenkins, Stroud, Ferguson last year when they could have been signed or acquired relatively cheap considering what they bring to the table. So we have to get one via the draft, IMO.

As for being not that far away. I think there is a lot of hope, but still, these are very close games that we won and it was exciting to see that but we still haven't proven we can beat big time teams when we need to. The best teams we beat were the flailing Jets, Bills and Redskins. We didn't beat a single playoff team in 5 chances.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just thought the initial plan was to bulk up Balmer to play NT. I think Balmer will be best at 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle though.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
NinersfaninCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I just thought the initial plan was to bulk up Balmer to play NT. I think Balmer will be best at 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle though.
I guess I could have seen that plan on draft day, but I originally thought he was BY's replacement. After seeing him play, sparingly, this year, I'm pretty sure he's a 3-4 end. Unless we got to 4-3 under Sing, then maybe he could play DT. Either way I like Raji or E Brown as a 3-4 OLB, since it's clear Manny and/or Parys need some help getting to the QB.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Balmer as a 3-4 DE and I don't see him as a 3-4 NT either. I see him as a 3-4 bench player. He looked fairly terrible last year. I know the rhetoric is "he's a project". Well, that was a stupid pick then, because I don't think he even has much of a ceiling as a project.

Counting on him as a starter would be foolish. If they want to work him in as a platoon player, then I'm OK with that since he'd have time to improve. But if we're counting on him to produce as a starter, then we're going to end up pretty disappointed.

Build our lines some more and eventually we'll be consistent playoff contenders.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I don't see Balmer as a 3-4 DE and I don't see him as a 3-4 NT either. I see him as a 3-4 bench player. He looked fairly terrible last year. I know the rhetoric is "he's a project". Well, that was a stupid pick then, because I don't think he even has much of a ceiling as a project.

Counting on him as a starter would be foolish. If they want to work him in as a platoon player, then I'm OK with that since he'd have time to improve. But if we're counting on him to produce as a starter, then we're going to end up pretty disappointed.

Build our lines some more and eventually we'll be consistent playoff contenders.
Im not ready to write Balmer off yet. D-lineman do need time. Look at Fat Albert and Bunkley. Im willing to give the benifit of the doubt since he had to learn a new scheme.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

He was a risky pick I hope Singletary can get something out of him. As long has he contributes to the D-line rotation I am happy.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Balmer pans out as well. He has the potential to be a Albert Haynesworth type.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

All I'll say in response to the Maclin negativity is this: if we don't draft him, we're going to wish we had a playmaker like him for years to come. Building in the trenches is well and good, you don't have to convince me that that's where the foundation of strong teams are built. But thats been the team's main project for the past 2-3 years in the draft (Staley, Balmer, Rachal, McDonald)... at this point, I think the OL is a RT away from being dominant, and because we're so close there, I'd rather get a veteran who can step in right away. Defensive line is fine. Pass rush could use help, but outside of Orakpo I don't see anyone out there right now who I would feel confident in spending a no. 10 overall pick on. But you know the position we really haven't addressed long term? WR. I think it's time to bring in the true No. 1 guy we've been looking for for so long. Crabtree would probably be my first choice there, but Maclin is going to be an absolute star in this league, wait and see.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl9erfan View Post
All I'll say in response to the Maclin negativity is this: if we don't draft him, we're going to wish we had a playmaker like him for years to come. Building in the trenches is well and good, you don't have to convince me that that's where the foundation of strong teams are built. But thats been the team's main project for the past 2-3 years in the draft (Staley, Balmer, Rachal, McDonald)... at this point, I think the OL is a RT away from being dominant, and because we're so close there, I'd rather get a veteran who can step in right away. Defensive line is fine. Pass rush could use help, but outside of Orakpo I don't see anyone out there right now who I would feel confident in spending a no. 10 overall pick on. But you know the position we really haven't addressed long term? WR. I think it's time to bring in the true No. 1 guy we've been looking for for so long. Crabtree would probably be my first choice there, but Maclin is going to be an absolute star in this league, wait and see.
I see where your coming from, I felt that way about Desaun Jackson last year. A playmaking WR would help. But if you were to rank the needs I would put it behind a FS, OT, pass rushing OLB and NT. Plus the fact that WRs are risky and usually take a few years to develop. Its just not worth the roll of the dice with that pick.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Since we cant get Mays, is anyone considering William Moore?

I think the niners should look real hard at Maclin and determine whether he has the stuff to be a Marvin Harrison or Tory Holt (who have similar dimensions) type player. If he does then we should take him. However, Oher trumps everyone
Old 01-15-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Chief49er
Rookie

Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.Chief49er could make a wolverine purr.

Round 1 CB Vonte Davis
Round 2 OLB Clint Sintim
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
Round 1 CB Vonte Davis
Round 2 OLB Clint Sintim
You sir are and Epic Fail.

We won't take a WR in the first round especially after Morgan showed he could be a number one, and Jason Hill emerging.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 01-15-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Im all for drafting William Moore.....in the 2nd round
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief49er View Post
Clint Sintim
I like Sintim but I dont see him being someone we draft because of our draft positions.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
49erfaithful
Veteran

49erfaithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

looks like linehan got his second interview today for OC. hes also the first to get a second interview. sounds like we are having him at top of the list right now

http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=407
49erfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfaithful View Post
looks like linehan got his second interview today for OC. hes also the first to get a second interview. sounds like we are having him at top of the list right now

http://49ers.com/blog49/?p=407
Could be OC by tonight:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...op-choice.html
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote