Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 PM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Oher at #1?

It seems that everyone is saying either Stafford or Andre Smith at #1, but what about Michael Oher? Yes he is very raw, but he undoubtedly has the best tools and physical talents out of any OT prospect this year. I will concede that i may be bias because i did read his book, but I think if we could go out in free agency and find a solid mentor for him, he could grow into the next Orlando Pace.
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

I like Oher too. I think he's going to be a good player. He should be a top 10 draft pick. Maybe has high as top 3. I just see that we have log jam at left tackle with Backus's big contract there. We can't cut Backus. We certainly can trade him, but i don't think there any takers. I don't see Backus any better a guard than a left tackle. I would try to live with Backus for another 1-2 years and draft someone to take his place in 2010.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
I just see that we have log jam at left tackle with Backus's big contract there. We can't cut Backus. We certainly can trade him, but i don't think there any takers. I don't see Backus any better a guard than a left tackle. I would try to live with Backus for another 1-2 years and draft someone to take his place in 2010.
Yeah that makes sense. It just seems like a shame though to have so much offensive tackle talent on the board and to have us miss out.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oher may be available at #20 where we own the pick. He is far too inconsistent to be a top 10 player and unless he has an outstanding combine, he will have difficulty going top 15 nevermind top 10.
Both Smith's and Monroe are ranked far higher than Oher. Oher got a lot of hype from the book but he isn't an elite talent and RT may turnout to be his best position.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:26 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oher is my #4 offensive tackle in this year's draft.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He hasn't allowed a sack in the talent rich SEC for two years. Watch him play and you will see he is the best pass protector in the draft.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Fingers of Death View Post
I like Oher too. I think he's going to be a good player. He should be a top 10 draft pick. Maybe has high as top 3. I just see that we have log jam at left tackle with Backus's big contract there. We can't cut Backus. We certainly can trade him, but i don't think there any takers. I don't see Backus any better a guard than a left tackle. I would try to live with Backus for another 1-2 years and draft someone to take his place in 2010.
Monetarily we can cut Backus. His contract is not terrible.
http://www.thenetrat.com/

(4,450,000) in salary. Money we would save by cutting him
2,773,176 is his bonus (2009). This will hit our books either way if we cut him or keep him.
2,733,176 accelerated 2010 bonus due to cutting or trading
223,178 K accelearted 2011 bonus due to cutting or trading
______

1,319,530 (cap hit)

So basically if we cut/trade Backus, overall his cap number will be 1.3 million on our books (savings of salary but he still has a cap number because of his accelerated 2010 and 2011 bonus and 09 bonus is on either way).

If we keep Backus, his cap number is 7.2 million (Salary not saved plus 09 bonus)
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Backus to RT and Oher/Smith to LT?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noromasionadom View Post
Backus to RT and Oher/Smith to LT?
Gosder Cherilus says no.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM    (permalink
noromasionadom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Gosder Cherilus says no.
Fair point but if you have Smith from ALA, Cherilus and Backus -- who goes to guard?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noromasionadom View Post
Fair point but if you have Smith from ALA, Cherilus and Backus -- who goes to guard?
I'd cut Backus and find a guard in free agency(Mike Goff) and Round 3(Levitre/Herman Johnson).

Backus can't play guard(too weak,not a good run blocker/mauler), Smith at number 1 would be ridiculous to play him at guard and Gosder played fairly well at Right Tackle this year and should stay there and develop.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gosder is def the RT of the future for you guys. I thnk Det could pick up the scraps of the top 5 LT with the 1st pick in the 2nd round? Or maybe go best guard available?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Gosder is def the RT of the future for you guys. I thnk Det could pick up the scraps of the top 5 LT with the 1st pick in the 2nd round? Or maybe go best guard available?
If Duke Robinson is at pick 33, yes I think you take him in a heartbeat. We need 2 guards worse than a Left Tackle.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As bad as Backus is, I really think he could be serviceable if we had a good line around. You put two good guards on that line and Backus can play just well enough, in my opinion.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
As bad as Backus is, I really think he could be serviceable if we had a good line around. You put two good guards on that line and Backus can play just well enough, in my opinion.
At some points, I would like to think that, maybe in run blocking with LG like Duke Robinson but not pass protection. Backus is just not good enough to be left 1 on 1 against the Jared Allens of the world. That is what you want from your LT, one on one against a stud pass rusher. Even agasint lesser competition like Alex Brown/Mark Anderson where Backus should be adequate he still gives up a bunch of sacks/pressures. He plays to his competition but every once in awhile he pulls stoning Freeney in 2008/Osi/Ware in 2007 out of nowhere.

A LG would be more focused on the DTs than stopping a DE. Especially the DTs in our division, Williams,Tommie Harris etc.

I think Raiola could be serviceable surrounded by some monster guards. But Backus is on his own. A decent blocking tight end, a decent RB chip blocking and a QB with a quick release is what Backus needs. Every once in awhile Backus puts together a string of a few games, but not over an entire season the last 3 years.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

Quote:
If Duke Robinson is at pick 33, yes I think you take him in a heartbeat.
I would to but if he doesnt fall that far, what about a guy like Max Unger assuming he is still on the board? He would offer great versatility and we could see where he fits best T/G/ or even C
Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
I would to but if he doesnt fall that far, what about a guy like Max Unger assuming he is still on the board? He would offer great versatility and we could see where he fits best T/G/ or even C
With Unger it depends if he's BPA and what we did at pick 20. If some reason we went Stafford and then an OT at pick 20, we better pick a defensive player at pick 33. If we go Stafford and then defense(say BJ Raji), then you can think about Unger if he's BPA over a MLB,DE,CB.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think oline help comes in the 3rd round and below this year. with the way the board falls, i think defense should win out. even if we pick a rookie this year, he won't be ready to do anything. maybe duke, but i like the defensive options available at 20 and 33 too much.

also, i really like jamon meredith. he's a killer run blocker and might be available down there.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote